Lachie Whitfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lachie Whitfield

Lot's of hype (bluster) about O'Meara on here and I have to say I think we have basically no chance of landing him.

On the other hand Lachie Whitfield - a Mt Martha boy - is out of contract.

I think we should throw the absolute kitchen sink at Whitfield. Forget about anyone else.

saintjake
Club Player

Re: Lachie Whitfield

People on here love the idea of throwing the kitchen sink of O'Meara because he's actually DONE something.

Whitfield is going down the Watts path.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Whitfield is like a more skilful version of Farren Ray, perhaps a Bryce Gibbs at best a Nick Dal

He will end up a very good outside player... A dangerous player... Not a consistently dominant player

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Con, you are right. Whitfield is an absolute gun. Anyone who suggest otherwise should be dismissed.
Watts? Ridiculous. I don't like the idea of us throwing money and picks for a young player when we should target a free agent when we are ready to challenge and have a better idea of what type of player we most need.
For example in 2014 we used our more speculative pick (40ish?) on Lonie as they thought it was an area we were lacking. Now he appears to be a lock, Sinclair looks very promising and Gresh and Billings round out those needs.
In 2 years time we should target a player of need. Until I think we keep our picks

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like he'd be tough to get out

What They Said: “This season has been a bit better because I’ve been able to string together games and found my feet and a bit of form. I’ve loved every bit of it. I love Sydney. I love the club. I’ll be here for a long time” - Lachie Whitfield - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-1 ... LXjMy.dpuf

I'd worry what we have to give up in picks to get a No. 1 draft pick. I'm not as panickiy about our midfield as everyone else seems to be. I think the midfield pot is cooking along quite nicely with the tasty additions of gresham, acres, freeman to come. Even guys like McKenzie, Rice, White, Sinclair, Lonie, Webster, can go through there or on the wings.

Teams like Collingwod, Melbourne, GWS, GC have really loaded up on mids to the point I think they might be overloaded with them, needing to pay big bucks down the track. Hawthorn didn't overload their midfield. They prefer structure and shape and explosive players in other positions. I think we're doing something similar. Time will tell which strategy pays off.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: I'm not as panickiy about our midfield as everyone else seems to be. I think the midfield pot is cooking along quite nicely with the tasty additions of gresham, acres, freeman to come. Even guys like McKenzie, Rice, White, Sinclair, Lonie, Webster, can go through there or on the wings.

Teams like Collingwod, Melbourne, GWS, GC have really loaded up on mids to the point I think they might be overloaded with them, needing to pay big bucks down the track. Hawthorn didn't overload their midfield. They prefer structure and shape and explosive players in other positions. I think we're doing something similar. Time will tell which strategy pays off.
By end of this season we will know if we are heading in the right direction. While Gresham will obviously have only had his first season and so judgement will still most likely be out, there is a raft of others of whom of some must be so some cream besides the obvious silk of Billings.

They do not need to be elite at the end of this season, but if we are going to be trending to the Top 4 anytime soon, then we need to see by the end of the season some players who are showing flashes of becoming guns, of becoming elite. And not just the midfield but in otyer positions.

If not sufficient progress then Steven and Armo will be gone before our next gen arrives.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This thread has got me thinking about the draft.

According to so-called 'experts' 2015 was meant to be a 'weak draft'. This is already looking 100% wrong. I know it is early days but Weitering, Schache, Mills, Milera, Oliver and Parish have already shown enough to make me think all will be stars.

If we can get someone as good as Mills, Milera, Parish or Oliver this year then we would be insane not to use our pick in the draft.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Lot's of hype (bluster) about O'Meara on here and I have to say I think we have basically no chance of landing him.

I think we should throw the absolute kitchen sink at Whitfield. Forget about anyone else.
Why have we got no chance of landing O'Meara?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Lot's of hype (bluster) about O'Meara on here and I have to say I think we have basically no chance of landing him.

Why have we got no chance of landing O'Meara?
If we get O'Meara I will go nude down Ackland St.

Based on pure deductive reasoning.

1. Firstly what are the odds he will leave the Suns? 30%?
2. How many Melbourne clubs are there? 9?
3. Will we have the highest draft pick? No (Essendon will have at least 1 and maybe 2 before us (Hooker). Carlton will probably be ahead of us.
4. Are we a big crowd puller? No.
5. Are we going to play finals in 2017? Probably not.

And this is based on the assumption (unconfirmed) that he wants to come to Melbourne IF he leaves. He is from Perth.

So all up I think our chances are less than 10%. I shouldnt say no chance. We have a chance. But it is slim. I know we all want a messiah. But I think we should try and develop our own stars and hit the draft.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

JOM has already been offered $900k over three years. Suns can't compete

North and Carlton are the front runners.

We are not making any type of offer until we can see he can actually play. The patella injury was pretty severe and we already have a high risk option in Freeman.

I very much doubt he will be in our colours.

But from what I heard he will 100% leave the Suns for Melbourne

You are garbage - Enough said
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:JOM has already been offered $900k over three years. Suns can't compete

North and Carlton are the front runners.

We are not making any type of offer until we can see he can actually play. The patella injury was pretty severe and we already have a high risk option in Freeman.

I very much doubt he will be in our colours.

But from what I heard he will 100% leave the Suns for Melbourne
He's leaving alright, but I don't believe even he knows to which club, yet.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The only thing in our favour is that he has apparently bought a business in St.Kilda or Balaclava..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:The only thing in our favour is that he has apparently bought a business in St.Kilda or Balaclava..
That is a positive for sure. Maybe we are more like a 20% chance.

You can also never rule the Hawks out of these things either. Whitecross is from Qld so the Hawks might package him up.