Ins and outs vs Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ins and outs vs Pies

Out: Gresham (first year player who simply is not ready for senior AFL footy)

In: Minchington (may or may not be AFL standard but deserves another shot simply by weight of numbers)

Acres, Lee and Membrey to come under consideration, especially if there are injuries/suspensions.

Can't believe anyone seriously wants to drop McCartin after one game back. He got poor service from up field, and in any event, wasn't that bad considering his age and experience. Why would we want to destroy the kid's confidence?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:Out: Gresham and McCartin

In: Minch and Membrey

Sinclair and Dunstan get 1 more week to prove their worth
Nah, Dunstan has had his shot for now he needs to go back a play 2 or 3 good games in the VFL and get some confidence back

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So last week the coach made a point of dropping Acres (22 disposals from 70% game time) because he didn't give 4 quarters of high quality footy.

Does this rule apply to Gilbert (7 disposals from 75% game time) or Geary (8 disposals from 86% game time) or Sinclair (12 disposals from 71%) game time?

Or do his favourite players just get picked regardless?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

OUT: Gresham, Roberton, Dunstan
IN: Minchington, Goddard, Acres

Structurally I think we need McCartin, if our mids get on top he can have a proper crack at it before we drop him for Membry who would have fared no better against the dogs.

SMS
Club Player

Gresham was good. Keep Him in. He was almost there. Sure pace of game gotmhim a couple
Of times but he got the ball and was starting to make some plays off his own running.
Dogs are by far top 4 now and at etihad amazing. Gresham against pies will show something to you negative folk that will make you go wow!!!

Dunstan for me needs to go back to VFL. Get in Minch.

Out: Dunstan
In: Minchington

Want to see goddard replace fisher by mid year.

Hang in there guys.
Next year we basically get 3 KPDs
Carlisle
Goddard
Hurley.
Also freeman will be right to go. Add half backers white and rice ... Gresham and conanother pre season ... Suddenly we have talls forward back, pace and class.

The Recruit
Club Player

Just don't see where Gilbert fits anymore.

Acres for Gilbert
Gresham for Minchington
Newnes susp in Lee.....Lee plays on Cloke, Fisher released to run off half back.

Geary is Richos love child, even praised him in his press conference.....Geary is going nowhere....but definitely my 22nd favourite player on most match days.

The Recruit
Club Player

Just don't see where Gilbert fits anymore.

Acres for Gilbert
Gresham for Minchington
Newnes susp in Lee.....Lee plays on Cloke, Fisher released to run off half back.

Geary is Richos love child, even praised him in his press conference.....Geary is going nowhere....but definitely my 22nd favourite player on most match days.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think we need a second ruck... And Bruce is too important to our forward structure to be pinch hitting

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The_President wrote:Con, for the most part I'm confused with what stance you're taking on Geary.

In the Geary thread you've posted these..
Con Gorozidis wrote:Saved us a couple of goals with his courage and timing running backwards. Battled like a true warrior. Probably cost us a couple of goals from poor kicks as well. All up he probably broke even.

Deserves his spot in our best 22 but I still find it bizarre we signed him up through 2018. By 2018 I really hope DMac and/or White & Rice are ahead of him.
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Geary will play until DMac or Rice are ready to take his spot. They might be a few years away. Certainly wont be this year and probably not next. 2018 I think Geary will lose his spot in the side. But that is 43 games he still has to play. That takes him beyond the 150 career game mark.
So after Geary "probably broke even" on the weekend, you think he should be dropped for McKenzie, even though McKenzie "might be a few years away"

Are you just posting for the sake of posting?
Nice piece of archiving - but get your facts straight. I dont think Geary broke even against the Dogs. I said he broke even against Port but was terrible against the Dogs. Yes. McKenzie probably isnt ready but either is Lonie, McCartin.

Geary's 7 crap disposals (mostly misdirected mongrel punts) is just not acceptable. I'd move Newnes to a lock down role and let McKenzie play as a free spirit.

On top of that, me saying 'a few years away' didn't mean I think he shouldnt play AFL at all for a few years. It meant I think he is a 'few years away' from being a fully fledged hardened senior player capable of playing 22 games + finals. McKenzie is almost 20. Old enough to play 10-12 games this year. This week seems as good a time as any to play one of those 10-12.

So no - despite your efforts, you havent 'caught me out' on any inconsistencies at all. Not even a good attempt frankly.

Lonie isn't ready? Are you serious

Myron Gaines
Club Player

In
Acres, Minch, Longer,

Out
Gresh, Dunstan, Hickey

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I'd be dropping Sinclair before Dunstan.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Out: Gresham, Bruce (susp), Ross/Weller/Dunstan - one of

In: Minch, Lee, Acres

SMS
Club Player

Changed my mind lets make drastic changes and put the cat amongst the pigeons

Ins: Minchington, Curren and Acres
Outs: Dunstan, Sinclair and ??? Weller? Or newnes if susp.

Gresham was good about to brak out leave him in
Lee is a lost causez. He has amazing potential being 194cm with a beautiful kick and sometimes great mark but he cant handle AFL. Maybe if he changed his 14 year old haircut and got serious. But Lee is a joker and doesnt fully believe he belongs THATs the problem. Hes a boy. Lets bot waste anymore time until he mans up.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We're bottom of the ladder, we're weak across all lines, let's start going forward, I thought our older guys looked very ordinary and have lost the intensity they once had- granny could run around them and snap truly
Out:
Fisher
Dempster
Gilbert
Gresham (needs VFL time to build up)
Paddy(still way off the pace, no second effort)
Geary (sub senior level disposal skills)
Dunstan (can't carry he and Ross in the same slow midfield)

In:
Minch
Lee
Acres
Curren
Membrey
Wright
Murdoch

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I cannot honestly understand how people can automatically select Gilbert week in week out. He had 7 disposals and was playing as an unaccountable midfielder - yet people just pretend it didnt happen. These kinds of performances have been swept under the carpet for two years already. How long do we keep pretending?

He is ranked 5th in the AFL for clangers in 2016:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... t=LT&st=CG

He is one of the worst kicks in the AFL

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

Here are his stats which have been abysmal since 2013

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-s ... am-gilbert

Here is an independent view if you think I am being unfair:

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... am-GILBERT

Gilbert was a star in 2010. No doubts about that. But that was 6 years ago. He is living off his 2010 reputation and it is now a joke on the club.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 04 Apr 2016 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Disappointed in Gilberts game,out for Acres
Goddard for Roberton
Gresham for Minchington

Still plenty of time for Gresham to show his worth this season

saint-stu
Club Player

I like the suggestion of Acres for Gilbert. Both playing as big bodied mids this year, both are fairly ordinary kicks, but I think Acres offers more at the moment and has lots of scope for improvement.

Poor Dunstan, not sure what he has done wrong. He was hurt last week. This week he was equal highest tackler.

Many calling for Dunstan and Gresh to be dropped but are happy with Sinclair's game? wth?

Paddy had 6 marks which is a good effort and is still a baby. Needs time in the AFL to get used to the pace.

Out: Gilbert, Sinclair
In: Acres, Meatball

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:I like the suggestion of Acres for Gilbert. Both playing as big bodied mids this year, both are fairly ordinary kicks, but I think Acres offers more at the moment and has lots of scope for improvement.

Poor Dunstan, not sure what he has done wrong. He was hurt last week. This week he was equal highest tackler.

Many calling for Dunstan and Gresh to be dropped but are happy with Sinclair's game? wth?

Paddy had 6 marks which is a good effort and is still a baby. Needs time in the AFL to get used to the pace.

People love Sinclair because he is good looking. Doesn't matter if he only gets a few touches. He is a fan favourite.

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Positives

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I like the suggestion of Acres for Gilbert. Both playing as big bodied mids this year, both are fairly ordinary kicks, but I think Acres offers more at the moment and has lots of scope for improvement.

People love Sinclair because he is good looking. Doesn't matter if he only gets a few touches. He is a fan favourite.
:) I like Sinclair too but he seems to be doing a Templeton so far this year.

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
The_President wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Does Dempster ever get injured? Sometimes I wonder if Tom Lee wouldnt mind putting a banana peel in the shower because Dempster is ensuring that Tom Lee never gets an opportunity to play as a defender in the AFL.

Anyway McKenzie has to come in imo. We need dare and dash off half back and Gilbert and Savage are simply not providing it. Geary and Roberton simply too slow.

Is this a thread about what we would do or what we think they will actually do? It is never clear in the OP.

What I would do:

Out: Geary, Dunstan, Gresham, Sinclair, Gilbert
In: McKenzie, Minch, Lee, Acres, Membrey

What they will probably do:
No change

You want to take out 4 smalls and Gilbert and put in potentially 3 talls?

No doubt if I go back through some of your posts from the weekend, you would be saying we are too big and slow somewhere
Who are my three talls?

McKenzie - small
Minch - small
Lee - medium
Acres- medium
Membrey - medium

Out is four smalls and a medium
In is three mediums and two smalls
You have Lee & Membrey in the same category as Acres?
A lead up forward and a Fullback? Comparing them to a midfielder?
Err - in same size category yes - not position category. Nice try to pot me but another fail.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Gilbert in our top 3 or 4 players against Port round 1, has a poor game round 2 (not on his own there) and gets the chop?

Playing in a new position that he is still adjusting to.

Spare me.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Gilbert in our top 3 or 4 players against Port round 1, has a poor game round 2 (not on his own there) and gets the chop?

Spare me.
He is ranked 5th in the AFL for clangers in 2016:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... t=LT&st=CG

He is one of the worst kicks in the AFL

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

Here are his stats which have been abysmal since 2013

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-s ... am-gilbert

Here is an independent view if you think I am being unfair:

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... am-GILBERT

Stick your heard in the sand if you like. His disposals dropped from low 20s to mid teens even though he is now played as an unaccountable midfielder.
His DE has dropped from a career high of 83% in 2013 to 63% in 2014.

Seriously there is five years of data to back my view. Spare me your delusions and try and refute me on facts. What we do is point to his one good game every ten and then sweep the other 9 under the carpet and pretend they never happened. De Nile is a river in Egypt.

saint-stu
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Gilbert in our top 3 or 4 players against Port round 1, has a poor game round 2 (not on his own there) and gets the chop?

Spare me.
True but he's a senior player and more is expected from him. Acres was dropped for having an "OK game", Gilbos round 2 was poor.

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spare me.
HE is nearly 30 ffs. Hes been played as a mid for 3 seasons. 'Still adjusting'. Is this is a joke because I am just not sure anymore such is the level of denialism on here.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

In: Minch
Out: Gresham

Gresham has come from Under 18's footy straight to AFL, he needs some time at the step in between (VFL) so the leap in pace in the seniors isn't such a big jump.

We got towelled up by a better opponent - no need to make drastic changes just yet. Give the guys who didn't perform on opportunity to atone.