Open Mike - St Kilda's troubled history

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Open Mike - St Kilda's troubled history

Depressing

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was OK.

Completely missed substantial periods that would have been interesting.

1979-1990 perhaps. The only mention that it got was the number of spoons collected for that period, and losing the Frankston zone.

Definitely should have had a past player or administrator from the 80's that could have provided some insight.

The Barry Hall input was dodgy at best. Surely they could have found someone more relevant.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint-stu
Club Player

I'm not sure, I found Barry's comments pretty relevant. If there was a cultural issue, it may have been the reason for failing in that period.

It seems there were lots of different reasons in each of the premiership windows. I feel that in 2009 though, we were just so unlucky.

1ac46a38
saynta
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:If it wasn't for Lindsay Fox, there would be no St Kilda.
why? Because he got everyone to accept 5cents in the dollar.

The fat prick never put in any of his ill gotten gains.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not impressed with boofhead's input.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Watched it, loved it. Thought it was excellent and balanced.

Two things only are sure to bring tears to my eyes - great horses and any footage of the 1966 Grand Final and StKilda Players who played in it.

Great to see the egnuine affection between Tuddy and John Bingley. Bingley only played 8 VFL games over 2 seasons; his role in shutting down Tuddy in the GF has been underplayed for 50 years.

To watch and listen to Carl, Cowboy and Breeny was fantastic. Is Alan Morrow the fittest looking near-octogenearian you have ever seen? Carl is still a Saint to the bone. If you ever doubted otherwise we felt it tonight. Cat Colling also fantastic.

Alan Davis was extremely interesting. I have always felt there was some tension between he and Yabby. Although he didn't say as much his comments on his two grand finals in red, white and black suggest he didn't respect Snr Sgt Jeans as much as his team mates. Half a century on it is still a raw nerve.

Barry Hall, I felt, still respects his original club deeply and made no bones about the fact that he HAD to leave StKilda - something GT has been at pains to say over the past 15 years.

I've always liked Andrew Plympton (yellow teeth aside) and found his answers revealing.

Importantly, it is undeniable all that where interviewed (with, perhaps, Hall the exception) still love the StKilda Football Club, warts and all.

So do I.
Not so sure about the Bingley and Tuddy love story though.

Tuddy is one of nature's biggest pricks.

I have had several discussions with him about how Bingley towelled him up in the grannie.

Tuddy has always maintained, to me at least, that when he held out his hand to Bingley, Bingley spat in his face.

Now if that was true, surely he would have mentioned it on Mike's show, not merely state that John refused to shake his hand.

We all know that Tuddy is a thief and a crook, now i suspect he's a liar as well.

Just a note on Bingley. In a match were Bingley was Captain coach of the NWFU playing against one of the other two leagues. He walked across and decked the opposing captain whilst they were still playing the national anthem.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Ffs i forgot to set the iq box

You tube here i come i guess

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/barry- ... 5be5b6f7c3

Barry's part of the story

Yes , unfortunately.

Good riddance.

"Geelong beat them 80-68 in 2009 after they’d finished as minor premiers, then Collingwood got the better of them in 2010. The decider that year was drawn 68-all, and when the two sides came back for a rematch the next weekend, the Pies completely dominated, winning 108-52.

Follow News.com.au Sport on Facebook."

That the most we could kick under Lyon in three grand finals was a miserable 68 points speaks volumes about the coach and his shitty defensive tactics.

Something Sheahen either failed to notice or choose not to mention.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote:
Tuddy has always maintained, to me at least, that when he held out his hand to Bingley, Bingley spat in his face.

Now if that was true, surely he would have mentioned it on Mike's show, not merely state that John refused to shake his hand.

We all know that Tuddy is a thief and a crook, now i suspect he's a liar as well.

Just a note on Bingley. In a match were Bingley was Captain coach of the NWFU playing against one of the other two leagues. He walked across and decked the opposing captain whilst they were still playing the national anthem.
strange way of going about trying to help Bingley's case - adding a private conversation (which does actually support) what happened on the day in '66

then adding to the case, proof beyond a doubt that Bingley is a nothing more than a bogan thug

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saynta wrote:

strange way of going about trying to help Bingley's case - adding a private conversation (which does actually support) what happened on the day in '66

then adding to the case, proof beyond a doubt that Bingley is a nothing more than a bogan thug

You missed the point entirely. That was that Tuddy is a thief and a liar. Support Bingley's case? You gotta be kidding.

And with his(Tuddenham) drink driving record, you can add fool to the other list.

"Since retirement, Tuddenham has been in trouble with the law on several occasions.

In December 1980, Tuddenham was found guilty by a County Court jury of having received stolen tyres valued at $30,000, and was remanded in custody.[7]
In June 1989, Tuddenham pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiring to defraud the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce of $13,000. He told the magistrate that he was "guilty on the grounds I was helping out a friend in trouble."[8]
In July 2004, it was reported that Tuddenham had received a two-month sentence suspended for two years for his third drink-driving offence. He was ordered to pay a A$500 fine and had his driving licence cancelled for 30 months.[9]

Of course Bingley is a thug. That's exactly why he got to play on Tuddy in the Grand final.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 06 Apr 2016 3:12pm, edited 2 times in total.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

That the most we could kick under Lyon in three grand finals was a miserable 68 points speaks volumes about the coach and his shitty defensive tactics.

...yeah People tend to focus on the 1 point draw and hang their hats - forgetting that we gave the PIes their biggest GF winning margin score
I remember Leigh Matthews comments in the opening stanza of GF2 saying collingwood are going to love this - the saints are lining up/playing exactly the same as the week before (ie no plan B)

Lots of people lost their lunch prior to the broadcast - but the show was really only a history lesson of GF day from the players eyes
It could have (maybe should have for ratings?) been a lot lot worse

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
saynta wrote:

...yeah People tend to focus on the 1 point draw and hang their hats - forgetting that we gave the PIes their biggest GF winning margin score
I remember Leigh Matthews comments in the opening stanza of GF2 saying collingwood are going to love this - the saints are lining up/playing exactly the same as the week before (ie no plan B)

Lots of people lost their lunch prior to the broadcast - but the show was really only a history lesson of GF day from the players eyes
It could have (maybe should have for ratings?) been a lot lot worse
The abnormally high testosterone readings from the bulk of filth players taken after the match might have had something to do with it also.

widereceiver
Club Player

Had I known they were going to focus on the losing Grannies I would have saved the electricity, didn't need to see them again. The interesting bit was the 2 minutes at the end where the guests were asked their view on the reasons for the clubs's failure.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
felix
Club Player

I like the fact that Tom Lee is channeling Bingleys current hair style ...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

depressing

Darth Vader
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:I'm not sure, I found Barry's comments pretty relevant. If there was a cultural issue, it may have been the reason for failing in that period.

It seems there were lots of different reasons in each of the premiership windows. I feel that in 2009 though, we were just so unlucky.

He said it was club culture but suspect it was more his own personal stupidity/boofheadedness. Harvey, Burke, Loewe, Thompson were part of that group - no culture issues among them.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I'm not sure, I found Barry's comments pretty relevant. If there was a cultural issue, it may have been the reason for failing in that period.

He said it was club culture but suspect it was more his own personal stupidity/boofheadedness. Harvey, Burke, Loewe, Thompson were part of that group - no culture issues among them.
see I think in '97 they ran over a black cat in the mirror factory
* NIck Winmars' dad
* Stewie Loewe - family trouble
* Peter Everritts' injury
* & Hall being an idiot

I could add coming up against the master coach M Blight

Seeya
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Depressing, but excellent.

Sheahan is terrific at this stuff and did another great job here.

Despite a lot of people thinking he's out to get us - conspiracy theories and all that - I think he's genuinely fascinated by St Kilda, and that to me really shone through.

A hugely fascinating insight.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St Lenny
Club Player

Is there a link the the whole show and not just bits pls?

Darth Vader
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

* NIck Winmars' dad
* & Hall being an idiot

And Vidovic. And Joel Smith.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

* NIck Winmars' dad
* & Hall being an idiot

And Vidovic. And Joel Smith.
yeah you sort of forget about Joel - as we lost him in rnd18 missed all of 98 a year later he was at the hawks

Seeya
bigred
Saintsational Legend

1997 was a Joel Smith highlight reel.

He was decent at Hawthorn but he was a dead set gun before he did his knee. Should have played 200 games for St Kilda.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
To the top
SS Life Member

Any mention of the impasse between the Social Club and the Football Club - which was most significant?

Locals322
Club Player

Why did we lose the peninsula zone anyway, the hell does it have to do with Hawthorn?