Two way street

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Two way street

cwrcyn wrote:You miss targets by foot you deny yourself opportunities to kick goals while allowing your opposition to score due to the same problem.

When you create 6 or 7 twelve point turnarounds during a game, thats going to mean a ten goal loss.

When you go forward, have players spare who have worked hard to get themselves into that space, and then you kick it straight to the opposition, that opposition will always have men spare and they can outnumber you on the way back. And if they're quick and skilful, they will exploit your error most times. In the meantime, your team mates are wasting tons of precious energy to to recover each situation....you and they get weary, your opponents stay fresh, and it's only a matter of time before there's no petrol left in the tank to fight your way back into it.

You hit targets, you conserve energy. You miss targets, you waste energy and you lose energy. It all takes its toll

Geary, Dunstan, Weller, Gilbert, and to a lesser extent Dempster, cost us goals and opportunities each week. It's harsh, but a reality. I admire all of them for their toughness and effort, but compare them to their counterparts at teams like Hawthorn, GWS, Bulldogs, and Adelaide, and you'll see why, for all their good work, much is negated by mediocre or poor disposal.
We conceded a record 87 points from turnovers. Seems to reinforce your point.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

You just need to win the pill.

If you don't have the ball, it's very hard to score.

The Saints were SOFT on the weekend. There, I said it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:You just need to win the pill.

No, as demonstrated against the Doggies you also need to use it well. No point winning it if you just cough it up easily too often.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:You miss targets by foot you deny yourself opportunities to kick goals while allowing your opposition to score due to the same problem.

When you create 6 or 7 twelve point turnarounds during a game, thats going to mean a ten goal loss.

When you go forward, have players spare who have worked hard to get themselves into that space, and then you kick it straight to the opposition, that opposition will always have men spare and they can outnumber you on the way back. And if they're quick and skilful, they will exploit your error most times. In the meantime, your team mates are wasting tons of precious energy to to recover each situation....you and they get weary, your opponents stay fresh, and it's only a matter of time before there's no petrol left in the tank to fight your way back into it.

You hit targets, you conserve energy. You miss targets, you waste energy and you lose energy. It all takes its toll

Geary, Dunstan, Weller, Gilbert, and to a lesser extent Dempster, cost us goals and opportunities each week. It's harsh, but a reality. I admire all of them for their toughness and effort, but compare them to their counterparts at teams like Hawthorn, GWS, Bulldogs, and Adelaide, and you'll see why, for all their good work, much is negated by mediocre or poor disposal.
Sounds about right.

felix
Club Player

What to do Richo ?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:

I am betting that most of those turnovers happened in their forward half ... after we tried to possess the ball (by hand or foot) through their zone.

I recall a few skingshot goals from turnovers from our forward 5 entries but I would bet that 10 goals or more came from turnovers in their forward half within their zone.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

No, as demonstrated against the Doggies you also need to use it well. No point winning it if you just cough it up easily too often.

Even Darren Jarman can't use it well if he doesn't get it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Legendary wrote:

I am betting that most of those turnovers happened in their forward half ... after we tried to possess the ball (by hand or foot) through their zone.

I recall a few skingshot goals from turnovers from our forward 5 entries but I would bet that 10 goals or more came from turnovers in their forward half within their zone.
Yep. Lots of turnovers in their fwd half. But Geary was awesome according to our coach. Really owned Dalhaus LIKE A BOSS! Cop that Doggies. Owned!

SaintWodonga
Club Player

How many of our players would get a game for the Hawks? We really need more emphasis on kicking & decision making. Also hoping Lee & Acres come in.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:How many of our players would get a game for the Hawks? We really need more emphasis on kicking & decision making. Also hoping Lee & Acres come in.
Maybe one or two in the firsts and about 5 in their seconds team

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints43
Club Player

matrix wrote:Be interesting to zee if the hawks can pin point their way tnru the zone this week
Will be watching with interest
We went through their zone a heap of times. Just butchered the ball on the way to goal. Not due to their pressure but just lousy skills on our part(Greshem, Lonie, Riewoldt, Joey etc).

I would love to know how many 12 point turnarounds there were in that game. (Not enough to watch it again..)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:It's not just the supporters who are hurting, and wondering what went wrong on Saturday night. I can assure the players, coaches and club in general were devastated in the performance on the weekend. The players were as low as I can remember. It was quite ironical that Roo was nearly our best player and to be brutally honest he perhaps may not have played if it had been any other match.
No one can quite work out what went wrong, perhaps the coaches planned too deeply ( a lot of work went into this game ), and maybe the players tried just too hard. Who knows, but I will reiterate , the coaches and players really hurt.
They've all moved on though. Good training session today ( a couple a bit sore but I won't name them ). Lots of young Saints supporters for the clinic afterwards who all met their heroes and brightened everyone up with their contagious enthusiasm.
Remember a week is a long time in football.

Round 3 1997 tony!
Think it is good for us that we play Collingwood and Hawthorn while they have injuries. It should restrict the damage a bit, I reckon.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Perhaps you don't understand the meany of "also" ?

If you can get some elite ball-users into your team it can makea huge difference.

I quite liked CJ as a player, but if our midfielders all kicked like him we would never have made the 8, let alone GFs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Perhaps you don't understand the meany of "also" ?

If you can get some elite ball-users into your team it can makea huge difference.

I quite liked CJ as a player, but if our midfielders all kicked like him we would never have made the 8, let alone GFs.

To be top 4 or higher, you need to win the pill and use it well.

To avoid floggings when you have a sub-par list with no good ball users - you need to win the pill.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:How many of our players would get a game for the Hawks? We really need more emphasis on kicking & decision making. Also hoping Lee & Acres come in.
Lee is one player on our list who I'm fairly certain, wouldn't get a game with the hawks.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
matrix wrote:Be interesting to zee if the hawks can pin point their way tnru the zone this week
Will be watching with interest
We went through their zone a heap of times. Just butchered the ball on the way to goal. Not due to their pressure but just lousy skills on our part(Greshem, Lonie, Riewoldt, Joey etc).

I would love to know how many 12 point turnarounds there were in that game. (Not enough to watch it again..)
exactly
PIN POINT their zone
we couldnt (due to disposal skill)
so therefore didnt
if you cant hit the target its not working, so in my eyes we couldnt and didnt, which is a shame as if we actually managed the disposal a bit better we wuldnt of got blown out the water
be interesting with hawks as their skills are far superior to ours

like you im too scared to go back and look at 12 point turn arounds
itll just be depressing.....

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:It's not just the supporters who are hurting, and wondering what went wrong on Saturday night. I can assure the players, coaches and club in general were devastated in the performance on the weekend. The players were as low as I can remember. It was quite ironical that Roo was nearly our best player and to be brutally honest he perhaps may not have played if it had been any other match.
No one can quite work out what went wrong, perhaps the coaches planned too deeply ( a lot of work went into this game ), and maybe the players tried just too hard. Who knows, but I will reiterate , the coaches and players really hurt.
They've all moved on though. Good training session today ( a couple a bit sore but I won't name them ). Lots of young Saints supporters for the clinic afterwards who all met their heroes and brightened everyone up with their contagious enthusiasm.
Remember a week is a long time in football.
The last line.....

felix
Club Player

The last line is a cliche ...go saints

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Who was close to a late change - T-bone?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Minch

saintly
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Minch

glad he stayed in.

did the team like his game?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Tony, any news on Robbo. Read elsewhere 3-5 weeks medial. Does the club know yet?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Tony, any news on Robbo. Read elsewhere 3-5 weeks medial. Does the club know yet?
Richo said 2 so that means 4

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
elizabethr
Club Player

Wash Armo subjected t a fitness test?

nothing to say