Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Luke Dunstan

His name has popped up in a few other threads but he deserves his own. Plenty of people on here consistently knocking him....saying he isn't up to it....should be dropped...blah blah blah.
The kid is going to be a 250 gamer for out club and has captain written all over him. A general in the midfield, hard at the footy, tackling A+ and clearances are fantastic. Reminds me very much of a young Lenny Hayes. Let's start to get around our young players. It is ok to acknowledge when the play poorly but be respectful, patient and understanding of where some of them are at with their development.

So glad he and Paddy looked the goods today...the silence from the critics is deafening.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan

The Recruit wrote:His name has popped up in a few other threads but he deserves his own. Plenty of people on here consistently knocking him....saying he isn't up to it....should be dropped...blah blah blah.
The kid is going to be a 250 gamer for out club and has captain written all over him. A general in the midfield, hard at the footy, tackling A+ and clearances are fantastic. Reminds me very much of a young Lenny Hayes. Let's start to get around our young players. It is ok to acknowledge when the play poorly but be respectful, patient and understanding of where some of them are at with their development.

So glad he and Paddy looked the goods today...the silence from the critics is deafening.
Pleased to see Richo singled him out in his post match members' message. His inside work and hands were terrific, particularly in the 3rd.

What's this, his 3rd season? He was terrific in his 1st and struggled last year. Not unusual for a young bloke to have a lull in their 2nd year, and that facial injury he copped was a real factor, I reckon - it was at the debilitating end of facial injuries.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Saint_J
Club Player

fantastic game yesterday. reminded me of L Hayes a few times.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Had a good game. Is a good solid player. Wont play 250. Wont be Captain.

spiral3
Club Player

it was good to see him play a good one yesterday
His courage and endeavour has always been great but in the first couple of games this year he not only didn't get a lot of ball, but his disposal and decision making were pretty average
My recollection from his first year was that he was a pretty clever and creative user of the footy.
His disposal in the first couple of games wasn't especially constructive nor particularly accurate.
Great to see him be more creative and make great split second decisions yesterday.
"Very pleasing" :)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

My take on Dunny has been that because he is battling away in the hottest part of the kitchen with only 2 seasons under his belt that it is exhausting him and he hasn't had much left for good disposal. In that 3rd quarter he really lifted to win some big contests. I do want to see him get more outside game - he hasn't been kicking the ball much. I don't want us to be predictable with who is an inside player and who is an outside player - thats too easy to shut down in big games.

Richo doesn't flood the ball because he wants to keep shape for the spread so guys like Dunny, Ross and Armo have a big job at clearances.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is very Stephen Powell IMO

Slowish left footer who is strong over the ball, not a good kick, better hands which is why I liked his ratio yesterday

bergsone
SS Life Member

Was only able to see 2nd half on tv.From what i saw was in top 3 or 4.Great to see more of that form

chook23
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He is very Stephen Powell IMO

Slowish left footer who is strong over the ball, not a good kick, better hands which is why I liked his ratio yesterday
Have had this opinion of him.....

would complement if part of the right jigsaw puzzle

saint4life
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Better than Powell

Not sure how we can be making predictions (or not) of 250 games Con??

Personally really like the dump truck - don't think his kicking is that poor. Very happy to see him have a game with 20 plus possessions most of them very effective. Was our best player in the 3rd

#1 Ryder fan
linz
Club Player

Very impressed with his assurance and courage getting the ball.
He might surprise many people.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Not so much Powell. More Hayes like. Hayes wasn't a brilliant kick either BUT both better than Powell. Powell might have been the toughest of the 3. Lenny not far behind.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the reference to Powell was more in the context of style rather than disposal.

Powell was a very good mid whose strength was more in getting his hands on the pill and getting it out rather than what he could do with the ball... And also on his ability to attack the contest, throw his weight around etc.

I think it's a reasonable comparison.

People have been really harsh on Dunstan in my opinion. He's a developing mid that has played pretty much every game since debut and is now into his 4th season i think. Because he's been around a while, I think people forget just how young and green he is, and they have this expectation that he should be consistently one of our better mids each week...
The lack of depth in the midfield, exposes his deficiencies more than most.

Personally, am very happy with how he is developing...
He's tough, can get his hands on the pill, runs all day, and is durable. He is inconsistent, and his outside game needs to improve but he's progressing nicely for mine

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I thought that was his best game for the club so far.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is not like Hayes at all IMO

They are a different size and shape for one, the play extremely different
Hayes was inside/outside who could win contested footy or link and carry. Terrific side step, smooth mover and was rated by St Kilda fwds as an elite kick to lead at.
Luke is very left sided, treacle slow extractor.

The only similarity is their immense courage, although few match the intent and ferocity of Hayes.

Hayes was not only a StK elite footballer, but AFL elite player. Only players I consider similar
Luke Shuey
Travis Boak
Joel Selwood
Trent Cotchin
Cripps

Dunstan is more in the Cunnington mould. Matt Priddis would be nice.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
nothing like hayes
hayes wouldbe been quicker and was hitting roo on the tit lace out foe the last 5 years at least

gave dunstan a bit of curry a couple weeks ago
shocking performance, if it was trade week id have offered him up
this week just gone, complete turnaround
we saw what he can do
in and under, tackle hard and well and often and get hte ball to the outside

now he just needs consistancy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I think the reference to Powell was more in the context of style rather than disposal.

Powell was a very good mid whose strength was more in getting his hands on the pill and getting it out rather than what he could do with the ball... And also on his ability to attack the contest, throw his weight around etc.

People have been really harsh on Dunstan in my opinion. He's a developing mid that has played pretty much every game since debut and is now into his 4th season i think. Because he's been around a while, I think people forget just how young and green he is, and they have this expectation that he should be consistently one of our better mids each week...

He's tough, can get his hands on the pill, runs all day, and is durable. He is inconsistent, and his outside game needs to improve but he's progressing nicely for mine
He lead the charge in the 3rd.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

His 1st season also revealed an ability to read what was unfolding, find space forward of the ball and reliably convert.

Kicked 9:6 from 16 games in his 1st year, and 12:8 from 19 games last year.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

He will be a gun. No doubt about it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
skeptic wrote:I think the reference to Powell was more in the context of style rather than disposal.

He lead the charge in the 3rd.
Exactly. Watched the replay yesterday and he was crucial in the 3rd quarter surge.

He wasn't "as slow as treacle". Not only did he do in and under work, he gave direct assists in at least two goals in that period and was a link man in giving the ball cleanly to our guys in space.

He's just turned 21 and hasn't even played 40 games. Crikey some are quick to judge. He's got very very good player written all over him. Potential A grader. Tough, quick hands, tackles hard, chooses good options. He's going to be a gun.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we should compare him with players in their third year of AFL rather than players in their prime?
I don't recall Lenny being a 'superstar' in his first 3 years at St Kilda.
He developed from a reasonably high DP with talent to an unbelievable champion of our Club.
IMHO far too many are thinking Dunstan should be what Lenny was after he 'learned the caper'.
Personally I've been thrilled with the progress he's made since we selected him with pick 18/19

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Maybe we should compare him with players in their third year of AFL rather than players in their prime?
He developed from a reasonably high DP with talent to an unbelievable champion of our Club.
IMHO far too many are thinking Dunstan should be what Lenny was after he 'learned the caper'.
Personally I've been thrilled with the progress he's made since we selected him with pick 18/19

This. The instant gratification culture writ large if someone's not instantly playing to their maximum potential. Great point Magic. Assess players according to their time on the list. Dunstan has at least 10 years, if not more of AFL footy ahead of him. Players take time to develop.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Is also being given some "negative" roles to play by the coach which lessens his ability to be a good offensive player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Maybe we should compare him with players in their third year of AFL rather than players in their prime?

This. The instant gratification culture writ large if someone's not instantly playing to their maximum potential. Great point Magic. Assess players according to their time on the list. Dunstan has at least 10 years, if not more of AFL footy ahead of him. Players take time to develop.
Ditto here, St.B, on all of that from both you chaps.

I'd also argue it takes longer these days for the true potential to develop. The longer time comes from 2 main sources - 1) the increased athleticism of all players leaves young blokes needing longer and 2) the complexity of 'game plans', whereby a lot more time is needed to integrate everyone into a unit (players spend a lot more time in the 'classroom' than they did 20 odd years ago).

Throw in, in Dunstan's case, that he had a shoulder redone at the end of his 1st year and, like a lot of others, he needed to lighten off to be better suited to the ever quickening game, and you have extra challenges to be mastered by one in his 1st couple of years at the caper.

He's going fine.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not even considering the level

Just player type

And to think Lenny was not great in his first three years is an interesting observation. Rising Star nomination and 20 odd games in his first season.

In his third year he was shining and injured his shoulder R13 and never returned.

The following year he was clearly our best player a mid season. Only a broken hand cost him a b&f. He finished Runner Up.
Then he won the B&F was an AA and a league gun