Have you noticed that this year...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Have you noticed that this year...

...numerous extremely one sided players are now kicking on their non-preferred. A few examples are Seb Ross, Sam Gilbert, Jimmy Webster and Luke Dunstan. It is true that most of these kicks have dropped short or not exactly gone where they were intended, but it does signal an awareness at the club that if a player always goes to his preferred, he can be cornered. And who knows, with enough practice, and just as important, enough analysis of individual kicking styles through video and the setting of individual remedial programs, the players just might develop some proficiency.

At the moment, the same is not true of the ability to handball both hands. If anyone doesn't understand the importance of such a skill, I suggest they get a tape of Robert Harvey. Like Sam Mitchell on his left foot, Robert became "a natural" left hand pass over the years despite starting off as a right hander. It was something his opponents never quite got the hang of.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Have you noticed that this year...

Is this a trend also at other clubs?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Seriously in this day and age it should be a prerequisite.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Apparently it is at the Bulldogs.

Saint John
longtimesaint
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:...numerous extremely one sided players are now kicking on their non-preferred. A few examples are Seb Ross, Sam Gilbert, Jimmy Webster and Luke Dunstan. It is true that most of these kicks have dropped short or not exactly gone where they were intended, but it does signal an awareness at the club that if a player always goes to his preferred, he can be cornered. And who knows, with enough practice, and just as important, enough analysis of individual kicking styles through video and the setting of individual remedial programs, the players just might develop some proficiency.

At the moment, the same is not true of the ability to handball both hands. If anyone doesn't understand the importance of such a skill, I suggest they get a tape of Robert Harvey. Like Sam Mitchell on his left foot, Robert became "a natural" left hand pass over the years despite starting off as a right hander. It was something his opponents never quite got the hang of.
I have noticed Jack Billings kicking on his right foot this year which I had not seen previously.
It is important in tight situations and also kicking for goal.

One year will be our year
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:. If anyone doesn't understand the importance of such a skill, I suggest they get a tape of Robert Harvey. Like Sam Mitchell on his left foot, Robert became "a natural" left hand pass over the years despite starting off as a right hander. It was something his opponents never quite got the hang of.
Harvs is ambidextrous isn't he? Didn't he used to bat right handed and bowl left in cricket or vice versa. Or was he a leftie both bowling and batting? Also used to bounce the ball left handed which made him very good at wrong-footing opponents.

But your point is valid. If they work on their non-preferred side it can only make them a better player.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rob Harvey was left handed it was part of the reason he was so difficult to read, he stepped both ways.

As is Nick Riewoldt

Players are instructed to use their dominant foot as often as possible
Ball security is paramount

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Crap
Gilbert couldnt kick on his right for 20 meters lol

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Crap
Gilbert couldnt kick on his right for 20 meters lol
He can't kick on his left so what has he got to lose? Valuable player nevertheless

mambo2706
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Rob Harvey was left handed it was part of the reason he was so difficult to read, he stepped both ways.

As is Nick Riewoldt

I think Nicky Winmar was left handed as well. And I think Nicky Dal is right handed.

mambo2706
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Rob Harvey was left handed it was part of the reason he was so difficult to read, he stepped both ways.

As is Nick Riewoldt

I think Nicky Winmar was left handed as well. And I think Nicky Dal is right handed.