Oh when the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Oh when the saints

I love it.

Importantly my kids love it.

But they haven't got the tempo right; too slow at the start, too fast at the end with no transition.

If they get the tempo right we will lift the roof off!

Always loyal
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

You could give it the ol' Dixieland tip:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Agreed! If anything it is the 'englishisation' of it - when I was living in London and an arsenal member the chants and songs at the football were an absolute highlight - and they were about tradition not glittery american basketball type nonsense...

This would be awesome!
That's because soccer is very boring compared to our great game and the locals need something to keep themselves from falling asleep.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Ugh, it's totally lame. I can't believe you lot of galahs!
Goose is king wrote:To say we don't need any of the "Americanisation" is rubbish. The AFL is so boring to go to other than the game itself.
Yes the two hours of footy is great but there is another hour or so to fill in.
Sounds like you've been forgetting to take your Ritalin before going to the footy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I love that Southampton youtube clip, you can see though the importance of the leaders to conduct

Personally anything to do with the Saints will do me "Who dat"

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anything that gees up our crowd is a positive. We have a very quiet supporter base over many years, even when we were good.

But I think the cheer squad needs to be the first thing addressed

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I honestly think football crowds have become moderated and pacified to the point of the atmosphere of an average AFL match becoming almost sterile in the 21st century. A big part of that is with virtually everyone in attendance being seated. With very few people standing up, it makes it difficult for them to be loud because their diaphragms are squashed. Interesting to see that this audio track with signing has been compared with EPL singing/chanting. Now look at EPL crowds. If you care to notice, virtually everyone who attends these games are standing up (regardless of everyone being allocated in seated sections) hence why the atmosphere is so loud.

Nevertheless, I don't think soccer culture works for our game. There is no time for chanting, because the context of a game simply changes in little to no time. We're bet off sticking to the old way of cheering and chanting. Someone in this thread pointed out that our supporters have become quiet for a long time. I would attribute that this is mostly due to the lack of on-field success in more recent years. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I grew up few watching the Saints play at Moorabbin. The atmosphere was very different there. Quite noisy and to fever pitch levels, even during the games with so few people in attendance (sometimes little as 12,000). There was a great intimacy at those old suburban grounds, which alas, has been absent for the most part in stadiums like Docklands. Perhaps it's because we longer feel so close to the action. Back then, if you were near the fence, you could actually hear the players communicating to one another (even when there were bumper crowds). Everything just felt a lot more up close and personal. That said, I think there is hope for crowds getting back to being closer to that degree of intimacy, but the noises and distractions of music and gimmicks from PA systems that are cranked up to almost objectionable levels, are not going to help that situation.

Supporters need to make noise on their own terms, not be told to make noise.

Until then, it will continue to have a tame atmosphere in comparison to the old Moorabbin days. Just my 2 cents worth.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I honestly think football crowds have become moderated and pacified to the point of the atmosphere of an average AFL match becoming almost sterile in the 21st century. A big part of that is with virtually everyone in attendance being seated. With very few people standing up, it makes it difficult for them to be loud because their diaphragms are squashed. Interesting to see that this audio track with signing has been compared with EPL singing/chanting. Now look at EPL crowds. If you care to notice, virtually everyone who attends these games are standing up (regardless of everyone being allocated in seated sections) hence why the atmosphere is so loud.

Nevertheless, I don't think soccer culture works for our game. There is no time for chanting, because the context of a game simply changes in little to no time. We're bet off sticking to the old way of cheering and chanting. Someone in this thread pointed out that our supporters have become quiet for a long time. I would attribute that this is mostly due to the lack of on-field success in more recent years. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I grew up few watching the Saints play at Moorabbin. The atmosphere was very different there. Quite noisy and to fever pitch levels, even during the games with so few people in attendance (sometimes little as 12,000). There was a great intimacy at those old suburban grounds, which alas, has been absent for the most part in stadiums like Docklands. Perhaps it's because we longer feel so close to the action. Back then, if you were near the fence, you could actually hear the players communicating to one another (even when there were bumper crowds). Everything just felt a lot more up close and personal. That said, I think there is hope for crowds getting back to being closer to that degree of intimacy, but the noises and distractions of music and gimmicks from PA systems that are cranked up to almost objectionable levels, are not going to help that situation.

Until then, it will continue to have a tame atmosphere in comparison to the old Moorabbin days. Just my 2 cents worth.

The bit about squashed diaphragms makes sense.

And your reference to the connection between players and spectators at the old grounds. I reckon one of the reasons sports are so attractive is the feeling of being connected to and part of the action. In both Melbourne and Perth I used to go to local ammo footy regularly. Just so I could stand on the boundary and be right up close to the play. Hear the thwack of the bumps, the talk, the grunts and the sound of the footy hitting the boot or deck. And a bucket of chips was still $2.50.

I totally agree with what you've written about supporters making noise on their own terms and it not being manufactured. Genuine noise comes from passion for supporting the team and it feels totally different to manufactured, pseudo passion. I also reckon that footy crowds now - admittedly I haven't been to an AFL game for four years - but I reckon they're kind of hypnotised and numbed by the non-stop bombardment of commercials and crap announcements from the moment they enter the ground. Even the most passionate English football crowds have lulls. It ebbs and flows. The current, "we can't have a moments silence, we have to have non-stop 'entertainment' ", from the time you enter the ground until after the game robs crowds of the natural rhythm of watching, supporting and enjoying.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:The current, "we can't have a moments silence, we have to have non-stop 'entertainment' ", from the time you enter the ground until after the game robs crowds of the natural rhythm of watching, supporting and enjoying.
This is the thing which I find the most frightening. And this not only applies to going to the footy, it applies to everyday life. It seems that people, in this day of the digital revolution (or whatever you want to call it), feel compelled to be constantly stimulated. It's as though people are no longer allowed to be bored, or even get a chance to experience boredom. I'm of the belief boredom (or ennui, as the French call it) is a crucial part of human development. Think about the time when you get under the shower every morning. For most of us (I assume), we have a moment to ourselves, in which to be under a stream of water and merely wash our bodies. There isn't much there and we are left in a meditative situation. It's a rare moment in the scheme of things today. I love those moments where I can be alone with my own thoughts and ponder. It's a world where ideas are born. Remember the days at the footy, when the siren sounds to bring a quarter of football to a stop. The crowd had this nice little moment, in which to adjourn, applaud or disapprove of the team's (or in many cases umpires') efforts and find respite and engage in conversation with the people whose company you're in. It seems now we just don't really get to experience those moments of clarity as we're continually bombarded with objectionable noise and imagery in our faces. It's a shame. I actually prefer to take a time out by leaving the ground, particularly at half-time, so I can just hear myself think for a while and contemplate the half of football I just witnessed.

"Entertainment" has almost taken on a very vulgar meaning for me lately.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
st.byron wrote:The current, "we can't have a moments silence, we have to have non-stop 'entertainment' ", from the time you enter the ground until after the game robs crowds of the natural rhythm of watching, supporting and enjoying.
This is the thing which I find the most frightening. And this not only applies to going to the footy, it applies to everyday life. It seems that people, in this day of the digital revolution (or whatever you want to call it), feel compelled to be constantly stimulated. It's as though people are no longer allowed to be bored, or even get a chance to experience boredom. I'm of the belief boredom (or ennui, as the French call it) is a crucial part of human development. Think about the time when you get under the shower every morning. For most of us (I assume), we have a moment to ourselves, in which to be under a stream of water and merely wash our bodies. There isn't much there and we are left in a meditative situation. It's a rare moment in the scheme of things today. I love those moments where I can be alone with my own thoughts and ponder. It's a world where ideas are born. Remember the days at the footy, when the siren sounds to bring a quarter of football to a stop. The crowd had this nice little moment, in which to adjourn, applaud or disapprove of the team's (or in many cases umpires') efforts and find respite and engage in conversation with the people whose company you're in. It seems now we just don't really get to experience those moments of clarity as we're continually bombarded with objectionable noise and imagery in our faces. It's a shame. I actually prefer to take a time out by leaving the ground, particularly at half-time, so I can just hear myself think for a while and contemplate the half of football I just witnessed.

"Entertainment" has almost taken on a very vulgar meaning for me lately.

We are very much on the same page Sainternist. Yes indeed there was the intensity of the game and then the siren would go and there was space to 'come down'. Talk with your neighbour. Digest the quarter. Read the record. The natural rhythm of the game. No announcer coming on the instant the siren sounds telling me the score. "I know what the bloody score is you idiot, I've been watching the game!!!!!!" Constant and never ending "entertainment". It's everywhere. Airports with TV's in the waiting lounge. Cafe's with inane commercial radio ever present, even doctor's surgeries. Bloody everywhere the mad need to fill the space rather than having time for some quietness and recharge.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Sainternist"]Ugh, it's totally lame. I can't believe you lot of galahs!

[quote="Goose is king"]To say we don't need any of the "Americanisation" is rubbish. The AFL is so boring to go to other than the game itself.
Yes the two hours of footy is great but there is another hour or so to fill in.[/quote]

Sounds like you've been forgetting to take your Ritalin before going to the footy.[/quote]

No Ritalin required, just trying to convince my little daughter a day at the footy isn't boring (are you suggesting she needs Ritalin?)
It's the gimmicky things that catch the imagination of children and that helps make their day
I used to love watching the reserves before the seniors game but now there is nothing of note going on.
What the hell is so bad about playing a fun version of our song in the final minute before the game?
At least it gets the crowd up and going and keeps the kids interested.
That said the "make some noise" after a goal is horrible.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:No Ritalin required, just trying to convince my little daughter a day at the footy isn't boring (are you suggesting she needs Ritalin?)
It's the gimmicky things that catch the imagination of children and that helps make their day
I used to love watching the reserves before the seniors game but now there is nothing of note going on.
What the hell is so bad about playing a fun version of our song in the final minute before the game?
At least it gets the crowd up and going and keeps the kids interested.
That said the "make some noise" after a goal is horrible.
All in good humour, mate. I wouldn't recommend any parent to put their child on Ritalin, nor am I in any professional position to do so.
It's a shame how we don't have the Reserves as a curtain raiser any more. I found myself thoroughly absorbed by it as a kid. I feel sorry for kids today missing out on the stuff we had back in the day. We were so lucky to be able to kick the ball on the field after the game and all of that.
Look, I'll give this "knock, knock" thing more of a chance. Maybe it needs to grow on me, and perhaps with all of the supporters participating it could actually create a bit of a fever pitch build up before the game. We'll see. As you said, it's far better than the more American gimmick of "make some noise".
st.byron wrote:We are very much on the same page Sainternist. Yes indeed there was the intensity of the game and then the siren would go and there was space to 'come down'. Talk with your neighbour. Digest the quarter. Read the record. The natural rhythm of the game. No announcer coming on the instant the siren sounds telling me the score. "I know what the bloody score is you idiot, I've been watching the game!!!!!!" Constant and never ending "entertainment". It's everywhere. Airports with TV's in the waiting lounge. Cafe's with inane commercial radio ever present, even doctor's surgeries. Bloody everywhere the mad need to fill the space rather than having time for some quietness and recharge.
Good to know I'm not alone on this school of thought, St.B!

Indeed, peace and quiet is a very underrated thing in public places nowadays. At the moment, I'm writing to PTV to get them to consider having a quiet carriage on trains, so people can travel in comfort and do things like read, without having to put up with numbskulls babbling at the top of their voices or subject everyone else to music they pipe from their smartphones.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, between no reserves and no kick to kick after the game a lot is lost and although I quite like the Owen stuff it's only one minute and probably not really worth discussing much more.

loris
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I honestly think football crowds have become moderated and pacified to the point of the atmosphere of an average AFL match becoming almost sterile in the 21st century. A big part of that is with virtually everyone in attendance being seated. With very few people standing up, it makes it difficult for them to be loud because their diaphragms are squashed. Interesting to see that this audio track with signing has been compared with EPL singing/chanting. Now look at EPL crowds. If you care to notice, virtually everyone who attends these games are standing up (regardless of everyone being allocated in seated sections) hence why the atmosphere is so loud.

And your reference to the connection between players and spectators at the old grounds. I reckon one of the reasons sports are so attractive is the feeling of being connected to and part of the action. In both Melbourne and Perth I used to go to local ammo footy regularly. Just so I could stand on the boundary and be right up close to the play. Hear the thwack of the bumps, the talk, the grunts and the sound of the footy hitting the boot or deck. And a bucket of chips was still $2.50.

I totally agree with what you've written about supporters making noise on their own terms and it not being manufactured. Genuine noise comes from passion for supporting the team and it feels totally different to manufactured, pseudo passion. I also reckon that footy crowds now - admittedly I haven't been to an AFL game for four years - but I reckon they're kind of hypnotised and numbed by the non-stop bombardment of commercials and crap announcements from the moment they enter the ground. Even the most passionate English football crowds have lulls. It ebbs and flows. The current, "we can't have a moments silence, we have to have non-stop 'entertainment' ", from the time you enter the ground until after the game robs crowds of the natural rhythm of watching, supporting and enjoying.
Ditto
&
Ditto

#gosaintas
Club Player

If you make too much noise at Etihad someone will complain and then the meathead attendants are gathered around you. Seems supporters like to silently watch the football while seated. Heaven forbid anybody stands up.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Ditto
&
Ditto

paulski
Club Player

I love it, so does my 8 year old son. We're both Melb City supportrers, so we enjoy active crowd involvement, one of the things that drew me to the A League. We hold our scarves up and sing proudly.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

paulski wrote:I love it, so does my 8 year old son. We're both Melb City supportrers, so we enjoy active crowd involvement, one of the things that drew me to the A League. We hold our scarves up and sing proudly.
"Active crowd involvement"

Those three words make me break out in a cold sweat.
I think that is the thing all thinking people should be totally revolted by.

Just leave us in PEACE.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
paulski
Club Player

Wow! Sorry for being passionate and loving my team! And for loving 2 different sporting codes!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

I love being a rectangle.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

paulski wrote:Wow! Sorry for being passionate and loving my team! And for loving 2 different sporting codes!
Don't be sorry paulski. With my own 8 and 9 year old sons I know exactly where you are coming from.

Keep holding up your scarves and singing proudly!

Always loyal
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Ditto
&
Ditto
How so, Doc?

I think the people who never think outside of the box and never question anything, whilst passively consuming are the real squares.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Image
How so, Doc?

I think the people who never think outside of the box and never question anything, whilst passively consuming are the real squares.
Agree. The mindless slack jawed consumption mentality.
"So long as I don't have to spend a minute with myself and I'm permanently distracted, then I can relax (not). I eat absolute crap i.e McDonalds, KFC et al and have the television constantly on. I listen to commercial radio and don't really notice the Harvey Norman adverts any more. I am so numbed out by the constant, ever present bombardment of lowest common denominator white noise, mass produced crap that I get uncomfortable if it stops. I am strangely loyal to big 'brands' that are f****** with my wellbeing and am prepared to swallow copious quantities of total marketing bulls*** to maintain my permanent low level anaesthesia." /endrant

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Ditto
&
Ditto
How so, Doc?

A few assumptions there LD.

Maybe I am thinking outside the box by accepting that things change and we can't just expect our game experience to remain the same. I'm not a young fella by any means and I loved going to the footy in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But times change and we old Moorabbinites don't own the game.

If we don't move with the times our sport will become less relevant to the generations coming through. And eventually it will wither and die.

Anyway this is mainly in regards to the chant and I reckon that's great. And it will only get better with time.

PS: I was only having a bit of the joke with the square thing. Chill Image

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Ditto
&
Ditto

I think these are two of the most reactionary posts I've ever read on this site all due to a bit of music that plays at the start of the game which in essence is attempting to become an extension of out theme song.

These posts are just an extension of people living in the past and ringing up radio stations complaining they just can't watch 'today's' football. Well then just don't and do it quietly without preaching.

If the song kicks on it will be great - if it doesn't, well it was worth a try. Blaming it for all the atmosphere issues of the recent decade is a bit over the top.