Hugh Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintact7
Club Player

Hugh Goddard

Anyone know where Hugh is at? Admiitedly I'm in Canberra but he seems to be off the radar. Don't hear anything of him on website in terms of being under consideration for selection nor having an injury.

I know it didn't help with Sandy having the bye last weekend but Richo did seem to make a point before round 1 that Hugh had a bit to work on and was no certainty for selection.

I thought he showed a heap of promise with the chances he had last year, a big body with footy smarts and seemingly set to be a pillar of our defence for many years ahead. So what's changed?

Tom Lee got a chance before him last week and I didn't hear Hugh mentioned as a possible alternative.

Maybe he just needs to bide his time and get some games in, but seems a bit strange to me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hugh Goddard

I agree. Very little has been said about him since he got heat exhaustion during the pre-season training. Hope he was able to recuperate back to normal health afterwards.

Mind you, he's not even twenty years of age and probably needs a little more time playing at VFL level. If I recall, he played a few matches last year as a result of us being depleted by injury.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think his speed and agility is a problem. He's big and heavy (seduced many) but lumbers around a bit in the VFL. He goes OK and has plenty of time, but is not the massive bargain he was thought to be... The ridicule Boekhurst got for being taken before him was interesting... He's playing AFL now, and is doing quite well.

Hugh still has questions to answer

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Note that Sandy and hence Goddard have only had one actual VFL game so far this season. So little chance for Goddard to progress.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintact7 wrote: Tom Lee got a chance before him last week and I didn't hear Hugh mentioned as a possible alternative.

Lee is a lot older and more experienced.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think his speed and agility is a problem. He's big and heavy (seduced many) but lumbers around a bit in the VFL. He goes OK and has plenty of time, but is not the massive bargain he was thought to be... The ridicule Boekhurst got for being taken before him was interesting... He's playing AFL now, and is doing quite well.

BM, he is 19 years old! Still very young and inexperienced. I'm pretty sure he'll develop into a very strong defender.

Playon
Club Player

Exactly, he's highly competitive as are all Goddards and a great kick, also not shy of taking some good marks. Also if Bruce hadn't been of going so well I could see him playing forward, nice kick for goal. He needs time but will be a player, to start will slot into the back-line nicely perhaps he could play either end but our requirements might make him a defender

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Only 19 and Sandy had a bye. About 18 months too early for a 'where is he at?' thread on HG.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I think his speed and agility is a problem. He's big and heavy (seduced many) but lumbers around a bit in the VFL. He goes OK and has plenty of time, but is not the massive bargain he was thought to be... The ridicule Boekhurst got for being taken before him was interesting... He's playing AFL now, and is doing quite well.

Yes we would all rather Boerkhurst. :roll:

Calling Goddard a bust at 19.

Typical

You are garbage - Enough said
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Hugh will be a regular key position defender next year. Still growing and learning the caper.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Boekhurst is crap. Just ask any Carlton supporter

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Is this an attempt at humour?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of time for Hugh to work on his game. He is 19 and obviously still growing and filling out, like Paddy he is going to be a beast when he grows into his frame. Have patience he will get there when we need him!

lewdogs
Club Player

Boekhurst was dropped last week by one of the worst sides in the comp. Has been very average this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How old was Lever last year? Weitering this year... Or are we conceding that they are probably just better. Kosi impacted at 18, Roo at 19, Maguire 19, Huley, Trengrove, McDonald etc...

Birth certificates mean little if you're good enough. At this stage Hugh is not...

As I STATED
he has got plenty of time!!!!!!

Did that get missed.

But at this stage, he has plenty to learn... As does Paddy

Did I even mention they are NO good or NEVER will be

Sobraz???

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Oh, dry up, <<< MOD EDIT >>>

POSTER WARNED FOR DEROGATORY PERSONAL COMMENT

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Hugh will be a regular key position defender next year. Still growing and learning the caper.
Does this mean Hugh won't be playing any senior games this year?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well people could at least read posts instead of having a go with reactionary crap.

So sensitive, if a bit of criticism is sniffed... Omg get on the defensive with some attacking comments!!!

I've seen Hugh play 15 or more VFL games, and a few AFL games. He has got a lot to learn and has a long way to go at this point in time. He dropped down the draft order, because clubs didn't want him for a reason and he went about where he should of...

I think he will make a good solid defender... Of Rutten, Carlisle, Grundy, N.Brown il

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Comparing Goddard to Boekhurst then backing back like crazy

Beep beep beep

You are garbage - Enough said
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Well people could at least read posts instead of having a go with reactionary crap.

So sensitive, if a bit of criticism is sniffed... Omg get on the defensive with some attacking comments!!!

I've seen Hugh play 15 or more VFL games, and a few AFL games. He has got a lot to learn and has a long way to go at this point in time. He dropped down the draft order, because clubs didn't want him for a reason and he went about where he should of...

I think he will make a good solid defender... Of Rutten, Carlisle, Grundy, N.Brown il
Not sensitive or reactionary at all. You need to specify those reasons why you think he's not up to snuff in order to back your criticism. Otherwise, you're just making blanket statements.

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:How old was Lever last year? Weitering this year... Or are we conceding that they are probably just better. Kosi impacted at 18, Roo at 19, Maguire 19, Huley, Trengrove, McDonald etc...

Birth certificates mean little if you're good enough. At this stage Hugh is not...

As I STATED
he has got plenty of time!!!!!!

Did that get missed.

But at this stage, he has plenty to learn... As does Paddy

Did I even mention they are NO good or NEVER will be

Sobraz???

Nice back Peddle .....

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:

Boekhurst was dropped last week by one of the worst sides in the comp. Has been very average this year.
Hamstring

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Why can't our recruiters only pick up kids who have nothing to learn and are at the height of their powers from day one?

I mean think of all the advantages:
- We could sack all the development coaches.
- We could trim the list back to say 28 players so that we can pay them all more to keep them happy.

On the other hand Saintsational would have a lot less to discuss.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

- Speed and agility is a problem
- Big and Heavy
- Goes ok at VFL
- Has time
- Not the bargain thought to be
- Boekhurst criticism is interesting, he's doing well
- Has questions to answer

I don't see the part where BM has written him off

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Weitering this year... Or are we conceding that they are probably just better. Kosi impacted at 18, Roo at 19, Maguire 19, Huley, Trengrove, McDonald etc...

I mean seriously.
Weitering Pick 1
Roo Pick 1
Kosi Pick 2

Errr..ummm..yes I will concede that they are most likely just better.

I mean I am just absolutely shocked and amazed that Goddard at Pick 21 is not as good as them, as early as them. I may just be missing something but there is probably a reason why one player is picked at No 1, and and another at 21.

Now there will be exceptions, and draft order is not a an exact order of how players end up. But if you pick someone at 21 you are not expecting them to be kicking the door down from day 1. And if like Lonie they start well (much easier for a smaller player) then you are delighted.