Membrey... The new Jake Stringer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Membrey... The new Jake Stringer?

That sheppard by Membrey that allowed Bruce to take an uncontested mark and goal was classic football.

You cant teach that.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Membrey is the new Membrey.

If he holds his overhead marks he'll keep his place. If not, he'll struggle.

And I wish Stringer played for us.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The challenge for Membrey I think is going to be learning how to contribute and influence matches when the opposition is winning the midfield battle...
It's happened a few times this year and only our freakishly talented Roo seems to be able to influence games at times on his own merit (as a forward).

No doubt he could be a star in a great team

supersaints
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Membrey has a long way to go, and there are no guarantees that he'll make it long term. To compare him to Stringer is quite comical. Stringer is taller, more powerful, more talented....simple as that. Stringer can weave his way through traffic or burst through it. He's quick and creative.

Membrey has very few tricks, and is your typical, basic lead up forward who does not have the height to trouble tall defenders. I really hope he can become a 35 -40 goal player for us, but at his height and level of skill, he's up against it.
Wow he's a whole a one inch taller ( actually 1.18 inches taller) you think Stringer is a forward giant or something! They are comparable in hieght and stature. Yes Members has a way to go but is very similar.. You should get a new TV if you think Stringer is a forward giant it's obviously distorted.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We shouldn't get too excited about a bloke who only kicked two goals.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Htf would anyone on here know if Stringers a good bloke or father?!

Because of some camera grabs in the room after a game with his kid???

Footy is a great test of character, and IMO the guy carries on like an arrogant f### and listen to him on interview he comes across as a typical bogan footballer who is dumb as dogs##it
His cheap shot and comment to Roo last year summed him up

Broodruff
Club Player

Look, he's certainly not going to be the guy kicking 50+ goals a year - but having another dangerous lead up forward means that roo/Bruce and/or paddy can't be double and triple teamed as much. The benefit of guys like Membrey sometimes isn't in the goals he kicks, but the goals he allows the other tall forwards to kick.

That said, I'm sure if he gets consistent games there will be the odd one where he manages to kick a bag

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Broodruff wrote:Look, he's certainly not going to be the guy kicking 50+ goals a year - but having another dangerous lead up forward means that roo/Bruce and/or paddy can't be double and triple teamed as much. The benefit of guys like Membrey sometimes isn't in the goals he kicks, but the goals he allows the other tall forwards to kick.

That said, I'm sure if he gets consistent games there will be the odd one where he manages to kick a bag

He just did.

stonecold
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Test for stickers is the week after the great game, opposition puts more time into him...

Think he can make it though

Watching some of the game again, he earns his goals, puts a lot of work into dragging opponents away from others.

Footy gave back to him today for that, which is nice, doesn't always
He's known as Skunk not Stickers! JFYI!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
bigred
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:That sheppard by Membrey that allowed Bruce to take an uncontested mark and goal was classic football.

You cant teach that.
Wasn't bad was it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SMS
Club Player

Loved his vfl work this tear looked a level above and then saturday .... Very nice! Got me thinking can membrey grow into a gun? He has always done ok even in sydney and because of such ive been thinking he is 24/25 ... This KID is 21!!!!! WTF??? I think we have a gem here. Third tall forward one of the hardest positions on the field if not the hardest.... And he is showing great signs and only 21??

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I liked his games last year and always thought he was more than a little unlucky to get dropped. He adds something different to the forward line that we desperately need.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Broodruff wrote:Look, he's certainly not going to be the guy kicking 50+ goals a year - but having another dangerous lead up forward means that roo/Bruce and/or paddy can't be double and triple teamed as much. The benefit of guys like Membrey sometimes isn't in the goals he kicks, but the goals he allows the other tall forwards to kick.

I don't think 50 is beyond him, still young and in a couple of years could be a real handful, kicking 2 a game and the occasional bag.

Nee!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I see an in form Membrey as important to our forward structure. Good both in the air and with crumbs he adds balance to our options.

We have been playing a lot of small ups forward and that goes ok when when you are controlling the midfield, but when kicks are more under pressure having so many smalls as marking targets has given the ball back to the opposition far too easily.

Sinclair is great on the run.

We then just need to complete our forward line:

- Lonie to get back into form, get his body a little stronger and to learn from his experiences, as I see him as a better long term option that Minch.
- Paddy to build his body and tank.

Overall from 2017 on our future forward line is shaping up well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
FQF
SS Life Member

I always find it amazing how people purport to accurately predict a player's ceiling after a handful of games. He can be anything, what that will be is anyone's guess. Time will tell.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I see an in form Membrey as important to our forward structure. Good both in the air and with crumbs he adds balance to our options.

We have been playing a lot of small ups forward and that goes ok when when you are controlling the midfield, but when kicks are more under pressure having so many smalls as marking targets has given the ball back to the opposition far too easily.

- Lonie to get back into form, get his body a little stronger and to learn from his experiences, as I see him as a better long term option that Minch.

A forward line of Bruce McCartin Membrey Lonie Sinclair with rotations from Billings, Gresham, Armo etc. is the best balanced forward line we have had in recent history. If Pierce can turn himself into a potent forward/ruck it will be even better.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I see an in form Membrey as important to our forward structure. Good both in the air and with crumbs he adds balance to our options.

Did you see how Minch excelled in the 3rd when Seb was off the field with his injured shoulder?

That was just a glimpse of what the boy is capable of.

The_President
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Htf would anyone on here know if Stringers a good bloke or father?!

Because of some camera grabs in the room after a game with his kid???

Footy is a great test of character, and IMO the guy carries on like an arrogant f### and listen to him on interview he comes across as a typical bogan footballer who is dumb as dogs##it
His cheap shot and comment to Roo last year summed him up

I've been in the rooms.
I've seen him with his team mates, the staff, the fans.

He's a glue guy. I'd love to have him in our locker room.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

He's earned himself another game so let's see how he goes second week up. I'm sure that's all Tim is thinking about. Lets hope he kicks plenty more snags for the Sainters.

Playon
Club Player

Well we better decide soon he's out of contract and the end of the year

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Is it possible to have Membrey, Bruce, McCartin and Riewoldt in the same team? Ok so maybe it is not impossible but is it practical and can we get enough games into Membrey while we are so heavily invested in Paddy as a number 1 pick?

This will sound harsh, but I reckon we need Membrey in the team more than we need McCartin right now. It is important to our future final's success for McCartin to live up to his potential but McCartin was managed last week and he will need to be 'managed' again and again because his fitness is not up to scratch. I'm not saying that he should have the fitness of Bruce or Roo right now and I'm not saying that McCartin won't get there but personally I'd love to have Membrey and Bruce working together for about 8 games in a row to see whether this combination can work while Roo is still in the team.

I think just like Swans, Hawks, Eagles and now the Kangaroos that our 3 tall forwards will benefit us. And I'm not including Riewoldt when I talk of 3 talls. I know it would be great for Roo and Joey if we make finals and top 4 in the next 2 years but...seriously what are our chances? I don't want to be hoping that Roo will be playing for 3 more years and I don't want to be hoping that we'll be top 4 next year. I think Richo cannot waiver from the plan to ease Roo out of the forward line. We know that is what is happening and I think it's crucial that Membrey and McCartin take over. What I want is a plan that involves Membrey because I reckon he can get the job done.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why Paddy can't develop in the VFL?

Reason mostly why bigs take longer
They have Not the strength or engine to compete with huge seasoned bodies... They can be ok in bits and spurts

McCartin and Hugh will take time to build a fitness base and AFL body to be the position they want to play (Power KPPs)

Like to See paddy play about half and half and kick a few bags in the VFL and contribute in the AFL

Playon
Club Player

Well we had a killer forward line with Bruce, Membrey and Roo. Roo shouldnt be on the wing IMO.
Yeah we need to develop our young list but surely we need to win games first. There's plenty of time for Paddy, I'm more than happy for him to play the odd cameo role here and there and sure he will be in our best 22 soon enough.

We need a winning culture, which in turn inspires confidence, which in turn allows to see what their best can do.
To do that we need to select the best available and not so much give a player training time in the seniors and I'm not being Paddy specific rather the whole team.

What was it? reward those that are playing well

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Well we had a killer forward line with Bruce, Membrey and Roo. Roo shouldnt be on the wing IMO.
Why not? He's having a great season wherever he plays. You really want to go back to kick-it-to Nick?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he takes 14 grabs and kicks 3

Why not kick it to him? He's a potent forward, best mobile KPP I've seen, ever...

Any 6' chump can play on the wing and get a kick
Very Few can take 14 grabs fwd of the centre