Jack Sinclair

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Jack Sinclair

I just think everything this guy does is class.

I thought his game, and particularly his first half on Saturday was vital to our win.

I think he can be overlooked by supporters and commentators.

Could end up one of the best rookie selections of all time.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Sinclair

One of my favourites, he has looked really good the last few weeks.

mickey
Club Player

Re: Jack Sinclair

Hasn't been overlooked by me. He has what Sainters have needed for years..confidence, class & enthusiasm. Lonie & Sinclair bring positive attitude which is infectious !!! This young group coming through & our coaches etc will get us there, I'm really enjoying the ride & so are my kids.

miskycat
Club Player

Like his 'arrogance' too.

How does he rate compared to Lonie?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Way in front , sinclair's classier, cleaner and smarter.

But I should add, that's IMHO

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Lonie has that pest quality about him and some xfactor, but Sinclair has seems like a natural with whatever he tries to do. In a couple years he will be a very high quality contributer over the ground.

miskycat
Club Player

Don't know. Both good - not sure who I'd favour.

StPeter
Club Player

I would favour Sinclair. Has more tricks and seems to take the right option more often than Lonie.

Milne
Club Player

Not 100% sold on Lonie, have been sold on Sinks since his first game.

Works hard and KICKS STRAIGHT. We need more people in the team that can kick.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:Way in front , sinclair's classier, cleaner and smarter.

But I should add, that's IMHO
Correct. CLEAN is the word. Doesn't fumble; generally makes good decisions and is lightening quick from receiving the ball in hand to getting it on his boot. Has kicked two cracking snaps against the Pies and Dees this year. And .... is still averaging a goal a game in the graveyard position of 'small forward'. This lad is no fluke. We've stolen one (finally!!!)

Lonie is a ripper - has got some serious tricks - he'll be a jet. Just 2nd year blues at the moment but responded very well at Sandy with a BOG.

Go you red, black & white warriors
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Composure from day one has been out of sight.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is one of those players who doesn't need to get a lot of possessions to have an impact- very efficient player. Lonie needs to work a bit more at being where the drop of the ball is in marking contests in the forward half and against GWS, got caught waiting back for easy kick over the back I think- probably needs a bit more work on his defensive game.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I think Lonie may suffer a bit from the expectation that he's supposed to be 'the new Milney' - I'd hate him to think he has to be that sort of player if he's actually cut out to be something a little bit different.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I reckon Sinclair has been good the last couple of games, he still floats in and out of games, but if he can consistently bring his best and less of his fade outs, he will be a very good player, I like his build, really chunky legs, good for power!! Doesn't appear to have a left foot but that might just take time to appear with confidence!

As for comparisons with Lonie, I think Lonie is an out and out star in the making, he is such a competitor, hates losing 1 on 1's, you can just see he's learning contest by contest!! I hope both become consistent a graders, 200+ gamers...how good would that be!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

For the basis of comparisons as are occurring here, I see it the following way, for Lonie and Sinclair:

Lonie - in terms of his style, is much more like Clint Jones (but with skill obviously). Is frenetic and gives 100% effort at all times, very physical in his football (bee in the bottle type).

Sinclair - much more the Dal Santo type, things appear to come easily and naturally, with the appearance of minimal effort being required. Very languid.

Both are effective in different ways, but I think things occur much more naturally for Sinclair.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is class. He has incredible balance and awareness. He is seldom rushed in getting the ball in a way that he 'picks his moment.'. He is a very versatile small who holds his feet, has a strong body, has good defensive skills and whip crack decision making and he kicks goals. In a tall forward line with the ball coming in quick he is a genuine threat and can get his own ball - marking, crumbing or running into space. Has Mitchell like qualities.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How do we rate them both as midfielders rather than small forwards? That's what will decide their futures.

Sinclair to me is a walk up start and probable future A-grader. Lonie I really like, elusive, skilled and aggressive. But he's small and has to be able to shine in the midfield.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How do we rate them both as midfielders rather than small forwards? That's what will decide their futures.

Sinclair to me is a walk up start and probable future A-grader.

Lonie I really like, elusive, skilled and aggressive. But he's small and has to be able to shine in the midfield. No reason why he can't but he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as a small forward. That's a hit and miss position, even if you are Stephen Milne

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Its an awesome problem to have and competition to improve is immense. The coaching staff have controlled it well. Lonie Minch Sinclair Billings Acres Gresham Templeton on the verge, all been given a decent chance and all producing hope and enthusiasm as a minimum. Then you have Savage, Mav, Dunstan, Ross and Newnes finding consistency and Armo, Montagna and Steven leading the charge. That is 15 mids with room for 13 of them together last weekend. Then there is Freeman, are we sure we need more or just another 50 to 75 more games put into this squad. This list us foing to thrive in the next 2 years.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Sinclair could become elite. That will come with building his tank and then moving into the midfield

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
jaxons
Club Player

Absolute gun.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

jaxons wrote:Absolute gun.
+1

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Needs to win a bit more ball and that will happen with a bigger tank

Polished with the ball in hand

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair isn't just clean and effective in his disposal. Last year he was knocked out and copped a massive hit when someone kneed him in the back of the head. He took a while to get over that and I think his confidence and his form dropped off a bit. Anyhow in this incident iirc, instead of Sinclair waiting for the crumbs he wanted to be first in the contest - and that's a kid in his first year. He's fearless and doesn't wait for someone else to win the loose footy. That tells me he's a natural at this level and he'll be starting 22 when it comes to finals for the Sainters.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Absolutely lethal around goal..

The fact he slipped to the rookie draft really makes you question if recruiters overthink things sometimes..

A pure footballer with brilliant skills.. Look back at that draft, he is top 20 easily right now and will push top 10 as his career unfolds in what was a very strong age group (the year before he was recruited, which is his actual draft age).

Dead set gun.