Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert

The Fireman wrote:The opportunities he had this game he did well .I have no particular love for Gilbert , i don't really have any favourites but the thing that s***s me the most is the peanut element we have in our supporter base who single out a player in a poor overall team effort. Gilbert won't be around very long but gee I hope he puts in a blinder to stick it up the poor section of our supporter base.
Plus one
Last edited by saynta on Sun 22 May 2016 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:Kane Taylor wasnt that bad :D
Had one very good year in the back pocket IIRC.
Yeah I remember he nearly took mark of the year. He got so high up that he believed he had no right to take it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Future captain...

But seriously, I don't think he will be here next year. Valuable contribution or not he will be 30 and isn't the onfield leader like the other vets on the park are. Training wheels have to come off at some point for the fringe players and you can only do that by putting them on the park.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
widereceiver wrote:Kane Taylor wasnt that bad :D
Had one very good year in the back pocket IIRC.
Yeah I remember he nearly took mark of the year. He got so high up that he believed he had no right to take it.
I have vague recollections of him being called up to the Victorian squad. Dont think he made the final team but made the squad?
I remember it being a surprise/shock call up.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 22 May 2016 11:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

widereceiver
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:For what it is worth Kane Taylor averaged 18.2 disposals in 1991 and 17.0 in 1993 compared to Gilbo 16.0 in 2016.

Yes yes you will tell me disposals arent everything but Kane was good at the 1%rs.
Nothing against Kane here. There was no net to bag players then and I only bagged him to my mates as we slouched home after another 10 goal bollocking.

I had high expectations of Gilbo, but perhaps he was only going to be a gun in a champion team.

I don't like to see any of our players be potted when the team is so far away from being a contender. What's the point?

Sam Fisher is not a tenth of the player he once was but receives due respect. I think Gilbo is only a bit player and should be accorded the same respect.

The next time we are actually in contention. Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert mebbe even Armo and Jack Steven won't be there. I don't see the point in bagging one of the old guard.

I am more interested in the dynamic of Lonie getting a game after not looking like it and Acres, who I see as a potential killer, being dumped after a shocker and having to do much more to get another crack at it.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
#gosaintas
Club Player

They won't get games if we keep playing the old underperformers. Gilbert should be heading off to Sandy and then retirement.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

widereceiver wrote:Do any of you losers remember Kane Taylor - Milan Faletic - or the myriad of other no-hopers we have watched play in our guernsey?

Who ever said Sam Gilbert is going to win the Brownlow or the King Gee Player of the year? He can't kick, has very poor vision and if it weren't for his flexibility in different positions, probably wouldn't be in the team as we progress to challenging for a top four berth. Oh, wait...

Get stuffed you faint hearted phoneys.

God I hate supporters like you. Who are you to call any player wearing the red, white and black a no-hoper. You seem like one of those people who just because you pay your admission/membership think they then have the right to bag anything and anybody

Obviously some of our players don't have the talent or footy nous or whatever to make them great

But you know what, they run/ran out wearing our colours and they will always get my support

That does not make me not realistic, as I understand when it comes time to select, trade, cut or whatever you have to put the club first

But each week for those 100 minutes, no one wearing red white and black should ever be called a no hoper.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

can we call some of our supporters "no hopers"

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:can we call some of our supporters "no hopers"

Only the ones now on big footy. :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
The Fireman wrote:can we call some of our supporters "no hopers"

Only the ones now on big footy. :wink:
lol

Wombat15
Club Player

Are people actually kidding about Gilbo? The blokes having a ripper of a season. hes been crucial in some of our wins. Even if we were to drop him we lose his height, versatility and the fact he gives 110% every week and plays what ever role is asked of him. Brandon White's not ready, Brodie Murdoch doesnt seem to be up to AFL standard even with his monstrous left boot, if he goes out it puts more emphasis on dylan roberton whos yet to show me why hes a crucial part of the defence and why he should be in the 22. showed absolutely no heart in quite a few contests yesterday. Gilbos having a ripper year, potential trading chip end of season? Maybe, but has to be in the side until someone else shows they are up to the standard.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:Are people actually kidding about Gilbo? The blokes having a ripper of a season. hes been crucial in some of our wins. Even if we were to drop him we lose his height, versatility and the fact he gives 110% every week and plays what ever role is asked of him. Brandon White's not ready, Brodie Murdoch doesnt seem to be up to AFL standard even with his monstrous left boot, if he goes out it puts more emphasis on dylan roberton whos yet to show me why hes a crucial part of the defence and why he should be in the 22. showed absolutely no heart in quite a few contests yesterday. Gilbos having a ripper year, potential trading chip end of season? Maybe, but has to be in the side until someone else shows they are up to the standard.
Only the peanuts Wombat

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I posted this re Dunstan but it equally applies to Sam:

Team player.

Players have roles and KPIs that make the whole team better.

It is not always about how many kicks, handballs and goals a player gets.

I value genuine assists more than the goal kicker.

I value McCartin's clever tap more than either of his goals despite his 60 metre bomb being a team lifter.

I value sacrificial acts like coming off your man to impact a contest further a field knowing you have left your opponent free and trusting that a team mate will bust a gut to try to cover you.

I value the space makers who either block in tight or lead away from the space in order to create space.

I value the pressure acts that lock in a ball when needed or gets into an opponents face or space to limit their disposal options.

I value players that make third, fourth and yes even fifth efforts like Sam Gilbert did at one stage in yesterday's game.

How many SuperCoach or other fantasy points do these things get - next to nothing but they are what winning sides require.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great player. Real team man. Super versatile. Underrated by the outside world of so-called footy 'pundits' and spurious ratings and rankings sytems.

Does a lot of things that arent picked up by so-called 'stats'.

Tall. Blonde. Versatile. Great team man. Can go fwd, back and play mid. Equally outstanding in all positions.

Some of those people who dont know much about footy might bag his kicking but really they dont know anything about the game. The real students of the game know that Gilbo is a footballers footballer. Ranked top 50 in the AFL in all of the secret players only polls. Valued as a gun by his peers and that is what really matters.

Did I mention versatile? Also tall. And Blonde. A natural blonde. A gun. A star of the game. Bloody champion. Hope he dominates this week and shoves it right up the naysayers.

And what noone else seems to notice - he is versatile.

To all the keyboard warriors who criticize Gilbert and claim that it is important to go in the vicinity of the actual ball from time to time I only have one thing to say you wankers

GET A CLUE.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I posted this re Dunstan but it equally applies to Sam:

Team player.

Players have roles and KPIs that make the whole team better.

It is not always about how many kicks, handballs and goals a player gets.

I value genuine assists more than the goal kicker.

I value McCartin's clever tap more than either of his goals despite his 60 metre bomb being a team lifter.

I value sacrificial acts like coming off your man to impact a contest further a field knowing you have left your opponent free and trusting that a team mate will bust a gut to try to cover you.

I value the space makers who either block in tight or lead away from the space in order to create space.

I value the pressure acts that lock in a ball when needed or gets into an opponents face or space to limit their disposal options.

I value players that make third, fourth and yes even fifth efforts like Sam Gilbert did at one stage in yesterday's game.

How many SuperCoach or other fantasy points do these things get - next to nothing but they are what winning sides require.
For you Con

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Classic :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok here is the thing. I dont have anything personal againt Gilbo. I think generally he is a good honest trier.

What frustrates me is the fans tend to ignore what he actually dishes up in the real world and focus on what he should be like. Not what he actually is.
Whenever the facts are presented of his actual performance people reply with reasons of why he should be good. These are usually versions of the following:

1) He was good in 09/10
2) He is versatile
3) He can play back, fwd an mid
4) He is tall and athletic.

These four things who explain why he should be good - not how good he actually objectively is in reality.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I believe Gilbert will put in some good performances and obviously so does the coaching staff .what frustrates me is some of our supporters who think they know better.

BFUSA has explained it very well in previous posts and why you persist Con is beyond me. No cred.
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 24 May 2016 7:09pm, edited 3 times in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

So who is going to replace him?

And do we also drop Geary, Webster and Roberton?

To the top
SS Life Member

Add Savage to that List - so Geary, Webster, Savage and Roberton.

And who did Brown consistently out-mark for his 4 goals - because we should drop the culprits also (given they are not listed above).

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Add Savage to that List - so Geary, Webster, Savage and Roberton.

And who did Brown consistently out-mark for his 4 goals - because we should drop the culprits also (given they are not listed above).
exactly ...this why it infuriates me when I see some peanuts bring it all down on one or two players. As I have said earlier these peanuts don't run the club and we are all thankful for that and only have to put up with them on forums. :)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I know my own bias is towards players that can get better with experience so for that reason I don't have an issue with persevering with players like Roberton, Savage, Dunstan etc and to a lesser extent Webster that have shown they have a high ceiling and have a long career ahead of them. Yeah they're inconsistent now, but like Ross if we persevere there is every chance it will pay off.

My expectation of a senior player like Gilbert is that at 29, in a bottom to middle range club, he is there to play well. He is there to lead the way. You don't see many ppl calling for Riewoldt of Monty's heads because even if they play the odd stinker, we know their good games outweigh the bad. Same can be said of Fisher and Dempster who may not be as consistent but earn their spots most weeks.

Geary is a bit different because the debate is more about whether or not the stopping part of his game is vastly underestimated on here in contrast to the more obvious errors that he makes and there is certainly a strong argument to say that it is.

But Gilbert... as Con said, he's had 2 good games this season, 4 average ones and 3 stinkers. That's a terrible return from a player that's in the team to lead us and be one of our consistent bests.
I haven't done the math on the other senior players but betting that Roo, Monty, Dempster, and Fish have all done markedly better than that.

A certain degree of hyperbole or theatrics has crept in to Con's posting about this I think (and pbly mine too) but it comes from these constant reference, in this thread alone, that Gilbert is in some way shape or form a gun
Wombat says he's having a ripper year... a ripper year for goodness sake. Plenty of others too have jumped on consistently talking about how important he is, how well he's playing etc. The numbers don't support it. They don't. He's not a gun. He's not an elite player. I'm not saying he's not serviceable or hasn't played the odd good game but the way ppl carry on about Sam as tohugh he's an outright champion is not based in reality.
Statistically he hasn't gotten even remotely close to his 09/10 years. I don't think he's played a season that you could class as good since that time.

I don't hate the guy but I'm way on Con's side here

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:So who is going to replace him?

And do we also drop Geary, Webster and Roberton?
No. Just drop Gilbo. I'd rather see Acres getting games. Gilbo won't be good enough in a couple of years time (he's not Sam Fisher, he's certainly not Brian Lake, and he's never ever been anything like Shaun Burgoyne at 30+) so why continue playing him now? Play him only if Robbo or Webster or Gears form is putrid or when we have injuries.