Jade Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jade Gresham

Jade Gresham reminds me a lot of Dan Hannebery if he develops as Hannebery has Trout will have had a big win!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I concur with Hudson and have been a fan of Eli since day one. Don't underestimate the effect of that badly broken arm Eli suffered in his first year. He's slowly getting his confidence back. Reads the game well, has a burst of speed and kicks reasonably well. Running/rebounding defender, perhaps?
Would love to see him off half back.

But then again I also want to see Rhys Stanley play ruck resting forward.

Unfortunately I have to watch Geelong games to see how good he is.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I concur with Hudson and have been a fan of Eli since day one. Don't underestimate the effect of that badly broken arm Eli suffered in his first year. He's slowly getting his confidence back. Reads the game well, has a burst of speed and kicks reasonably well. Running/rebounding defender, perhaps?

Not according to Tim Lane on Saturday's broadcast on 3AW. Said he lacked a football brain.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Eli reminds me of Joey who also struggled to hold a spot in his first 3 years. Don't know if he can hit the same career highs as Joey but could become a very steady long term player.
Lonie is clever but I think will get left behind if he doesn't develop into a midfielder as well. All our smalls will have to rotate through the midfield. I think Lonie just needs to muscle up to help get his mojo back.
Gresh is a natural and has the perfect mentor in Jack Steven.
Sinclair is another beauty and would be my pick if we wanted one guy to develop as a permanent small forward.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

Maybe try actually watching a Geelong game and see how sh*t he is.

Here is what an independent non-bias source has to say about 'how good he is'.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... ys-STANLEY

Not exactly Polly Farmer.

How many Geelong games have you truly watched? Be honest.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

Interesting website to browse around. Any idea who does the player ratings? They're prone to being subjectively biased if it's just one person on each game.

Middo
Club Player

2016 Season Rhys Stanley
1 Haw Rotated ruck/forward but overall was very quiet. One clearance, two inside-50s. 3
2 GWS Enjoyed some bright moments, particularly when forward where he grabbed some marks. Two goals. 5
3 Bris Quiet game rotating ruck and forward. Doesn’t seem to know exactly what his role is supposed to be. 2
4 Ess Four hit-outs to advantage but didn’t do enough around the ground to impact. 3
5 Port Mark a goal late in second term a highlight. OK but made some mistakes. 4
6 Ill.
7 WCE Took a couple of nice marks up forward and ended with a goal. Good in bursts. 4
8 Adel Did some strong work through the middle and caused Crows a few worries. 5
9 Coll Two kicks in first half and five for the match. Got to find ways to get involved more. 2

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I am not yet sure about Gresham. I have not watched him closely, but from what I have seen in parts, he lacks accountability, pace and stamina. On the small size too.

He makes up for things with his attack on the ball. His reputed kicking skills have not been there to date.

Like a lot of others, time will tell, but I cannot yet see any star qualities in him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I am not yet sure about Gresham. I have not watched him closely, but from what I have seen in parts, he lacks accountability, pace and stamina. On the small size too.

He makes up for things with his attack on the ball. His reputed kicking skills have not been there to date.

Like a lot of others, time will tell, but I cannot yet see any star qualities in him.
Crikey JO.......So freakin quick to judge. The kid's still 18 playing in a comp against hard bodied mature men. Frustrates the hell out of me sometimes how quick some supporters are to judge and pigeon hole. "lacks accountability, pace and stamina". Bloody hell, he's played 6 games, which by round 9, is pretty damn good for an 18th pick in last year's draft. Patience. Give the kid a go. Seb Ross was being written off last year playing for Sandy. He's in his fifth year. It's an awesome effort for Gresham to be playing senior footy at all.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

A couple last year and a couple this year - rucked well in all. Hits to advantage but more importantly competes in the air to ensure ball goes to the right drop zone.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:I am not yet sure about Gresham. I have not watched him closely, but from what I have seen in parts, he lacks accountability, pace and stamina. On the small size too.

Crikey JO.......So freakin quick to judge. The kid's still 18 playing in a comp against hard bodied mature men. Frustrates the hell out of me sometimes how quick some supporters are to judge and pigeon hole. "lacks accountability, pace and stamina". Bloody hell, he's played 6 games, which by round 9, is pretty damn good for an 18th pick in last year's draft. Patience. Give the kid a go. Seb Ross was being written off last year playing for Sandy. He's in his fifth year. It's an awesome effort for Gresham to be playing senior footy at all.
Exactly Byron, we are just lucky some of these guys aren't on our list management team

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Wombat15 wrote:Can someone explain to me what Gresham is? his role confuses me because he doesn't seem to cope with playing up forward. seems to get caught out a lot and his defensive/man marking seems suspect. I'm sure the kids going to be good, he statistically tested very very well at the combine and was highly rated amongst his peers but what role is he? where's his best position?
He's a pure midfielder who finds the ball at will & brings others into the game.

At present he's playing as a small forward & high half forward, both roles that are difficult to play and in which he has little exerience in.

He'll be able to more than cope with playing a variety of roles eventually. For all the carry on about Darcy Parish, we've got a kid who will every bit the player that Parish will be.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

From what I saw of Parish in a few games... He is an outstanding prospect...as touted

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yes Parish will be a great player. However we really should stop talking about him.

Because that may lead some people to think he was an option; that we could've taken him.

Which of course we never could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Yes Parish will be a great player. However we really should stop talking about him.

Because that may lead some people to think he was an option; that we could've taken him.

Weitering looks pretty good.
We had as much chance of selecting him as we did Parish, so why Parish's name is brought up in a thread about Jade Gresham is puzzling?
In fact, why raise any player taken in the first 5 picks given they would have been unavailable for us to select with our pick #6 (traded to Essendope for Carlisle), unless of course the poster raising Parish is just 'trolling'?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Yes Parish will be a great player. However we really should stop talking about him.

We had as much chance of selecting him as we did Parish, so why Parish's name is brought up in a thread about Jade Gresham is puzzling?
In fact, why raise any player taken in the first 5 picks given they would have been unavailable for us to select with our pick #6 (traded to Essendope for Carlisle), unless of course the poster raising Parish is just 'trolling'?
Then again we could've traded for Essendon's pick 5 and grabbed Parish.

Dodoro probably would've accepted a package of Billings, McCartin, Goddard and Acres for it. Especially as they were getting pick 6 for Jake. We may have had to chuck in a swap of later picks of course because Dodoro can be a prick.

So probably, technically, we could've got Parish Image

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Then again we could've traded for Essendon's pick 5 and grabbed Parish.

Dodoro probably would've accepted a package of Billings, McCartin, Goddard and Acres for it. Especially as they were getting pick 6 for Jake. We may have had to chuck in a swap of later picks of course because Dodoro can be a prick.

So probably, technically, we could've got Parish Image

Well, when you put it that way, then I can see how Parish could/should be legitimately brought up in this thread. :roll:

Sent from my laptop using IRony

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:From what I saw of Parish in a few games... He is an outstanding prospect...as touted

What are your thoughts in Aaron Francis?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Sent from my laptop using IRony
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: luv it, luv it Mr Magic :P

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Nice to finally have an indigenous player playing for the saints again!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Nice to finally have an indigenous player playing for the saints again!
Half indigenous only through his Mum's side

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Nice to finally have an indigenous player playing for the saints again!
Half indigenous only through his Mum's side
That is just so wrong. He is indigeneous. You are basically calling him a half caste.

Leave that mentality to last century and Andrew Bolt.

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
BigMart wrote:From what I saw of Parish in a few games... He is an outstanding prospect...as touted

What are your thoughts in Aaron Francis?
To be determined.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I haven't seen Francis.... I'm sure he'll be OK?...

The Parish reference was a reply to a comment someone made earlier in the post... Weitering does look good... As does Oliver

These days it's a rarity that a to 10 pick flops in the end...

Not every comment is an attack on the Stk FC
The inferiority complex is so obvious
Relax
Being so sensitive to criticism actually tells a story

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:I haven't seen Francis.... I'm sure he'll be OK?...

The Parish reference was a reply to a comment someone made earlier in the post... Weitering does look good... As does Oliver

These days it's a rarity that a to 10 pick flops in the end...

Not every comment is an attack on the Stk FC
The inferiority complex is so obvious
Relax
Being so sensitive to criticism actually tells a story
So does continually lecturing others.