Draft 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Draft 2016

Draft 2016

Once again the AFL has stuffed it all up with GWS holding 3 of the top ten in their Academy and Gold Coast holding one.
GWS really need this assistance they are soooooooooooo disadvantaged.

In practice it means that should St Kilda finish in their present position on the ladder their pick no 6 will be bumped down to pick 9.
We have already sold our second round pick to Collingwood for Freeman.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 36a2b07294

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Playon
Club Player

Re: Draft 2016

Only subscribers can access our premium articles and features

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

We do not have access to the academy players - so the point is:
* not moot (Not subject to discussion)
* mute (I don't want to discuss it)
* moo (for the cows)

It is like going to an auction after the item has been sold prior and demanding the auction go ahead - these kids have been earmarked for the expansion teams - so if we have pick 6 in an uncompromised draft or pick 9 in a compromised draft we are still only able to select the 6th best player available to the general public.

We will still get the player that we would have got without the Academy interference [the Academy discussion is another thing entirely, but it has no impact on the draft].

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:Only subscribers can access our premium articles and features
Good way around this for future reference, Google the URL and click the article link from Google and you will generally be able to read it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 36a2b07294

ESSENDON and Fremantle will face off on Saturday night in a game that will help decide which club has the No.1 draft pick this year — but there is no standout prospect in what looks an even draft.

And in a blow to most clubs, recruiters believe eight of the best 20 youngsters are tied to talent academies controlled by the northern-state teams.

The brilliant academy batch means for the first time this year’s wooden-spooner could be denied access to the top three or four teenagers in the land.

A Bombers win at Subiaco would lift them two games clear of the Dockers, but a loss would drop them to last, depending on Brisbane Lions’ performance against Carlton.

TAB rates Essendon a $3.90 chance.

Essendon midfielder David Zaharakis said today suggestions Essendon would tank to get the No.1 pick were “ridiculous”.

“Us as players always go out every week to win a game of footy. That’s just fact,” he said on SEN.

“You’re in a league environment, you never know what’s around the corner in terms of your body or injuries, so every time a player goes out to play a game of footy we’re trying to win, and we’re definitely trying to do that this year.

“Our fans have been quite impressed with the way we’re going about it but we’re still one and nine, and us as players want to win games of footy, we don’t want to walk in on a Monday morning after losing another game.

“Whatever happens at the end of the year with draft picks and all that takes care of itself then, but we definitely want to win.”
Gippsland’s Ben Ainsworth is a chance to be drafted with pick No.1 Picture: Glenn Ferguson

Experts say this year’s draft pool was flush for smalls but thin on talls.

They have forecast a dip in top-end talent.

Four of the past five No.1 picks have been key-position players — Jon Patton, Tom Boyd, Paddy McCartin and Jacob Weitering — and eight of last year’s first 16 were talls.

Key forward Todd Marshall could be a top-pick smoky.

Gippsland’s Ben Ainsworth, a 179cm forward, and Claremont midfielder Sam Petrevski-Seton are chances to go No.1.

The Herald Sun revealed this month the AFL had ruled the Deniliquin youngster ineligible for Greater Western Sydney’s controversial academy.

“It’s not the best field going around,” one recruiter said.

“There’s not a Weitering in there and so I think Marshall could end up right up there.”

Asked if it was the most even draft ever, he said: “I would say so, at this stage.”

A talent spike is anticipated for 2017 and clubs will think carefully before trading future first-round selections.

The even spread and range in opinions mean the Round 11 clash at Subiaco is devoid of a tag like 2007’s “Kreuzer Cup”.

While the national championships will play a major part in sorting the order, experts believe it will be a tricky year to hold the coveted first pick.

West Coast great Glen Jakovich declared skilful midfielder Petrevski-Seton a “must-sign” for the Dockers.

Surfers Paradise product and Suns academy member Jack Bowes is thought to be leading the pack but it is unlikely a club would use a No.1 pick to bid for an academy player.

A matched bid would let the wooden-spooner relinquish the marketability and aura of boasting the No.1 because it would take first selection at No.2.

That means the Suns and Giants could be granted their prized prospects below market price.

Marshall’s footy sample is small but a prolific season would see him overtake several midfielders in the rankings.

GWS academy members Will Setterfield (Sandringham Dragons), Harry Perryman (Collingulie) and Harrison Macreadie (Henty) are rated top-10 talent.

Beyond the Herald Sun’s top 10 Jacob Allison (Lions), Kobe Mutch (Giants) and Brad Scheer and Josh Williams (Suns) are academy guns seen as first-round hopefuls.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't have a problem with the Academies per se, the part I have trouble is with is the new bidding system which allows GWS and the Swans to gain multiple top end talent by just exchanging them for multiple later picks.

With GWS it is made worse as since they were allowed more players on there list than most teams that they can now also trade of the excess for more picks to earn points for trade and this in clearly an unfiar additional advantage.

It should ba system more like where GWS has to use their next pick to take a player if another club bids it, and if there are 2 or more players than round then GWS only get to choose the one still with another club then taking the player that GSW does not prefer.

ie
Say GWS has pick 10 in the draft.

GWS Academy players A, B and C are bid on by clubs with earlier picks as say A = pick 2, B = pick 4 and c = Pick 7.

GWS prefers player B as he is a mid and A is yet another key forward. So they nominate player B and take him with pick 10. A and C go to the clubs that bid their picks on those players.

It is just way to unfair that if GWS can raise the points that they can get say three top 10 picks.

The Saints cannot do this. Only 3 clubs can. Suns have a more shitty zone and so less likely for them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
minneapolis
Club Player

shrodes wrote:
Playon wrote:Only subscribers can access our premium articles and features
Good way around this for future reference, Google the URL and click the article link from Google and you will generally be able to read it.
Thanks Shrodes, good advice, except I am in China and Google is blocked here.

*Slap myself and say stop whingeing*

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Wombat15
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I don't have a problem with the Academies per se, the part I have trouble is with is the new bidding system which allows GWS and the Swans to gain multiple top end talent by just exchanging them for multiple later picks.

With GWS it is made worse as since they were allowed more players on there list than most teams that they can now also trade of the excess for more picks to earn points for trade and this in clearly an unfiar additional advantage.

It should ba system more like where GWS has to use their next pick to take a player if another club bids it, and if there are 2 or more players than round then GWS only get to choose the one still with another club then taking the player that GSW does not prefer.

ie
Say GWS has pick 10 in the draft.

GWS Academy players A, B and C are bid on by clubs with earlier picks as say A = pick 2, B = pick 4 and c = Pick 7.

GWS prefers player B as he is a mid and A is yet another key forward. So they nominate player B and take him with pick 10. A and C go to the clubs that bid their picks on those players.

It is just way to unfair that if GWS can raise the points that they can get say three top 10 picks.

The Saints cannot do this. Only 3 clubs can. Suns have a more shitty zone and so less likely for them.
I'm in complete agreement with your point about being able to trade back and still have access to top talent. Graeme Wright brought up the same point on the R.T.T.D Podcast (Well worth a listen). he used the scenario if Jacob Weitering was an academy prospect that it would be completely unfair if a club was able to get them just by using a bunch of 3rd round picks.
i respect good list management and being able to weave your way to do this beats the system so thats fair enough. but i would like to see the afl do something that holds clubs more accountable that you need to hold pick/s in the round when a bid on a player would occur. im not sure how it could be administered but surely you cant allow a team like sydeny to trade like crazy back then be able to match pick 2 with a handful of third round picks. the other system i wouldnt mind seeing is getting rid of the discount unless its a Father/Son pick or from the multicultural academy. the whole idea of the academies was to "develop" the game but handing GWS a football dominant area is blatantly unfair. The vast Area that brisbane have is just a farce for queensland footy. i could rant for hours about the academies themselves but ill keep it short sweet and simple.