Interesting comment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comment

Josh Bruce in a video interview from Future Stars that is on the Saints.com site, when asked about him doing the relief ruck work. He said, the plan had been for this year that Jake Carlilse was to be the player to do the 'pinch hitting' in the ruck, but with Carlilse not there things had changed.

So maybe Saints see Carlilse as a 'swingman', more than just a key defender standing a forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting comment

Makes sense that he can do some chop outs in the ruck as is 200cm and 102kg which would make him comparable to Hickey at 201cm and 94kg(suspect he may be a bit heavier now than that).

Plus looking at his stats he has had some games as the ruckman.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle is an enormous man.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Carlisle is an enormous man.
:shock: Are you his doctor?
Last edited by degruch on Tue 31 May 2016 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Loris, it makes sense to me. Carlisle was a very versatile player for Essendon. Has a very good vertical leap and is quite tall at 198cm. I hope he'll be up to snuff next year. Oops! I should probably say up to scratch. We don't want him sniffing or snuffing anything.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Given the long term plan for our defence seems to contain Goddard, Carlisle, Roberton and Webster it makes sense that Jake won't be a full-time defender. Not every side will have two power forwards that require Goddard and Carlisle in defence all day, so having Carlisle able to swing into the ruck or forward certainly adds versatility and unpredictability to the team.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Makes sense that he can do some chop outs in the ruck as is 200cm and 102kg which would make him comparable to Hickey at 201cm and 94kg(suspect he may be a bit heavier now than that).

Bruce / Lee should be doing the chop outs.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Interesting in that one of the perceived reason for coming to the Saints was to be a fulltime backman.

You are garbage - Enough said
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goddard 197 and Carlisle can play fwd and back

Bruce can also swing back

Bruce 197 and Carlisle 198 can also play in the ruck

Membrey 188 should be able to play High and Low and also needs to be able to attend a few Centre Bounces

McCartin 193 really is a stay at home Forward

Acres 190 can play HF/HB/W/Mid being the most versatile player

we definitley need another tall/medium back who plays a bit taller than his hieght if needed but can also shut down a medium (Marchbank 190, Buntine 187, Haynes 189) would be nice.

Roberton 192 can play HBF/Wing

Billings would be nice across HF that can go into the centre, but also nice to be used off HB if getting a hard tag
Last edited by BigMart on Tue 31 May 2016 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: and Carlisle 198
I don't personally know if it is correct or not but both saints.com.au and footywire have him listed as 200cm.

However either way he is still capable of a chop out in the ruck.

I personally like that we have a lot of versatility in our key position players.

Paddy is as you say a key forward and so is the odd one out. However in his recent games including at Sandy Paddy has shown that he can roam successfully up to the wings to bea link man as part of that. So that is perhaps alittle more than a stay at home forward, if by that you mean having to only stay near goals. Paddy's tank should substantially build yet over the next few years, and it needs to. And yes looks to bea great contest mark for our forward line.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Makes sense that he can do some chop outs in the ruck as is 200cm and 102kg which would make him comparable to Hickey at 201cm and 94kg(suspect he may be a bit heavier now than that).

Bruce / Lee should be doing the chop outs.
...with feeling!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I dont believe Carlisle is 200cm... he's not as big as our Ruckmen...Mayo on that but is about 6'6" for sure...

I reckon Hickey is about 96-98kg now... still needs another few though

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone confirm that Carlisle was upset at Essendon because they used him as a swingman and occasionally in the ruck?

I recall reading reports that he his preferred position was down back and that he was shitey with the Dopers because they didn't play him there permanently

It would be nice to think that we would never need to take him out of the backline - of course this is highly unlikely given his known potential to kick a bag

If the reports are true then I guess we can only hope that he has matured and now fully understands his value to the team to be used as a swingman if and when required

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Can anyone confirm that Carlisle was upset at Essendon because they used him as a swingman and occasionally in the ruck?

I recall reading reports that he his preferred position was down back and that he was shitey with the Dopers because they didn't play him there permanently

It would be nice to think that we would never need to take him out of the backline - of course this is highly unlikely given his known potential to kick a bag

If the reports are true then I guess we can only hope that he has matured and now fully understands his value to the team to be used as a swingman if and when required

I remember this as well. Maybe this was the 'excuse' pushed by his mgt to change.

Playon
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:Can anyone confirm that Carlisle was upset at Essendon because they used him as a swingman and occasionally in the ruck?

He didn't want to play forward. I think we guaranteed we'd only use him down back as part of the lure to get him to the club. Rucking not so sure, but at the time I followed the trade pretty closely

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dunno if it's arrogance or softness that makes a player want out if he isn't played in his favoured position. especially someone without that many runs to his name. yet ro see anything from Carlisle that speaks of character, aside from clown of course. Bloke better buckle down and train his guts out and justify our faith in him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Playon
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:dunno if it's arrogance or softness that makes a player want out if he isn't played in his favoured position. especially someone without that many runs to his name. yet ro see anything from Carlisle that speaks of character, aside from clown of course. Bloke better buckle down and train his guts out and justify our faith in him.
Carlisle will be a great player for us, have no doubts and in comparison do you suppose Hickey would be content to play back pocket for us? Down back is where his mojos at and besides he's not the only backman that doesnt want to play forward. Maybe were starting to be too critical

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah probably hitting the bottle hard as it's the only legal drug he can take

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I remember this as well. Maybe this was the 'excuse' pushed by his mgt to change.
I don't think they played him in the ruck. Just forward. I think he prefers to settle in one position rather playing forward and back as the stop gap player.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:dunno if it's arrogance or softness that makes a player want out if he isn't played in his favoured position. especially someone without that many runs to his name. yet ro see anything from Carlisle that speaks of character, aside from clown of course. Bloke better buckle down and train his guts out and justify our faith in him.
Some people just excel at being dickheads. Not saying he is, but some are good at it.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Typical of us.

Importing a tail to wag the dog.

Hope I'm wrong but have had a bad feeling about this trade throughout.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

It's true. Chucked a wobbly about having to play forward for Effndrug.

Playing forward kept giving him a sore foot. Soft as...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-PKNfqgRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdGVKgwM54

Alright, alright, you can play in defence then Jakey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g8yWdsZT3Y

Jake Carlisle (back, forward, ruck, who cares, wherever...) + Gresh' = best.number.five(not six).pick.ev-ah! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
shrodes
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I don't think they played him in the ruck. Just forward. I think he prefers to settle in one position rather playing forward and back as the stop gap player.
He has played in the ruck a few times, including against Nic Nat last year. Was well beaten though.

I think that was when the Bombers had injuries and couldn't get McKernan off their rookie list.

Check his hitouts here: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/ ... lisle.html