Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Seb Ross

saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:I think the biggest problem on here tends to be that people are into absolutes. It's all well to go early on a young player (they are simply opinions after all), but people declare someone a "lock" or "a bust" after half a dozen games - that is fraught with peril.

I expressed opinions about Hickey three years ago, that I liked what I saw and thought he would make it. I liked his coordination, agility and balance for a guy of his size. Not to mention that he actually has really great hands in close as well (following a gather behind his back and slick hand-pass in an early game). I didn't declare him a lock or a bust, but stated that I thought he would be really good AFTER he developed. No-one took me to task or started a feud, because I didn't declare a future outcome that was not up for discussio

I did the same thing with Lewis Pierce after seeing a VFL game in his second year, and the rate of improvement in him, despite still being built like a piece of wire. I may end up being right or wrong, but again there was no dispute because I expressed an opinion and provided the reasoning that led me to my conclusion and the observations on which the reasoning was based. I also didn't see it as an irrefutable outcome - it was only my opinion and may be proved wrong or right in the future.

There's too much chest-beating and dick-swinging that goes on in here these days that tries to masquerade as debate.

Oh ffs, I'm not into chest beating or dick swinging and I am certainly not apologising for saying that the coach liked Seb and that he was a natural footballer with the quickest hands in the club.

I stuck up for him against all the negative comments, which unfortunately are still occasionaly being posted.

I have never used the words "lock:" or "bust" and really disappointed with posters who are now trying to justify their inability to pick class when it is staring them in the face.
Who said I was referring to you? I didn't have anyone specific in mind - it was a general comment..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:I think the biggest problem on here tends to be that people are into absolutes. It's all well to go early on a young player (they are simply opinions after all), but people declare someone a "lock" or "a bust" after half a dozen games - that is fraught with peril.

I expressed opinions about Hickey three years ago, that I liked what I saw and thought he would make it. I liked his coordination, agility and balance for a guy of his size. Not to mention that he actually has really great hands in close as well (following a gather behind his back and slick hand-pass in an early game). I didn't declare him a lock or a bust, but stated that I thought he would be really good AFTER he developed. No-one took me to task or started a feud, because I didn't declare a future outcome that was not up for discussio

I did the same thing with Lewis Pierce after seeing a VFL game in his second year, and the rate of improvement in him, despite still being built like a piece of wire. I may end up being right or wrong, but again there was no dispute because I expressed an opinion and provided the reasoning that led me to my conclusion and the observations on which the reasoning was based. I also didn't see it as an irrefutable outcome - it was only my opinion and may be proved wrong or right in the future.

There's too much chest-beating and dick-swinging that goes on in here these days that tries to masquerade as debate.

Oh ffs, I'm not into chest beating or dick swinging and I am certainly not apologising for saying that the coach liked Seb and that he was a natural footballer with the quickest hands in the club.

I stuck up for him against all the negative comments, which unfortunately are still occasionaly being posted.

I have never used the words "lock:" or "bust" and really disappointed with posters who are now trying to justify their inability to pick class when it is staring them in the face.
Who said I was referring to you? I didn't have anyone specific in mind - it was a general comment..........

Educated guess. There are footballers who take years to develop, Tuck comes to mind, others are obvious from the start hence their high draft position ie the bont, roo,carey & judd.

And then there are those who early on in their careers show glimpses of their class. Obviously newnes and ross fit in

here as far as the coaches are/were concerned. Trever Barker also comes readily to mind as a future champion.

You can just tell that they have got that something special.

The biggest problem here is that certain posters want instant gratification and are impatiant with young players. They are to ready to write players off calling for them to be delisted or traded. And that really disappoints me.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 18 Jun 2016 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I still think Spencer White had that something special

Glad we replaced him with someone willing to work in Stickers Membrey

Like most things in life it's not just about talent.
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 18 Jun 2016 5:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I still think Spencer White had that something special
Played 2 games in the WAFL early this season but hasnt played since April.
Spencer White is expected to miss the rest of the season with stress fractures in his foot.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
.........some posters want instant gratification and are impatiant with young players. They are to ready to write players off calling for them to be delisted or traded.
I agree. There's a lot of unreasonable expectation on young fellas. Dunstan, Lonie, McCartin, Sinclair, Billings among others are good examples.

I remember watching Joey and Dal running around in the reserves at Coburg early in their third years. Players take time. We have an excellent, exciting crop of young guys coming along and I feel the future is very bright for this group. The generational hole in our list from the Lyon recruiting years is still there and young guys like Dunstan are playing a role in the team that more mature, hard bodied guys should be playing. As this group grows into experienced AFL players and we have a real core of 50+ game players I think we'll become a force.

stkfc1
Club Player

Think we may have found one...unbelievable game.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sebwood?

lol

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He's boringly predictable.

All I see is Seb Ross 30+ possessions every week

He really should step it up to 40 soon.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Sebwood?

lol
No need for tissues though

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Any doubters of Seb will now be too few to mention.

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Way back against the Bulldogs forumites were really talking up how great this guy was and at the time I remember saying that I felt he was a little overrated and that the next step in his development was to be more damaging with the ball. Really hurt the opposition.

100% stand by that comment. He stepped it up a bit more 2 months or so and his last month has been scintillating to say the least. He's really become an A-Grade talent.

His improvement over the course of the season has been phenomenal

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:He's boringly predictable.

:D :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Any doubters of Seb will now be too few to mention.
Might be some doubters left in the jungles of PNG or the Amazon with no access to the internet, tv, sanitation or a reliable source of food but that would be it.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

You got it Con

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Sebwood?

lol
I recorded the channel 7 telecast and they showed a few different players celebrating on the final siren. On one of the slow motion replays you can clearly see Seb giving Selwood a cheeky little nudge as he throws his hands up and celebrates. Loved it

Club Player

just heard the ABC interview, talked about mental preparation, how a good pre-season makes all the difference, how the game style emphasises quick movement and if players cannot keep to the plan they end up back in the two's. reckons Gresham has some tricks and feels he is now one of the senior players! that last comments shows how young the group was yesterday. SPoke well, did not um and err and came across is a thoughtful realist.
We are lucky to have him.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:He's boringly predictable.

:D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I just love the boy.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-06-2 ... n-for-ross

voted BOG by both coaches. Wow