Observations.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkmo
Club Player

Observations.

Had seats on the wing last night, level 1 Row A so I could see and hear a lot more than usual and picked up on the following things.

1. Jack Steven was massive. He ran and ran and ran. Willed himself to every contest. Especially in the last 3 minutes of the games. 4 of 5 pressure acts within the space of a minute saved the game. Brownlow smokey?

2. Mav Weller. The guy is a natural born leader. More than once we saw him run 50+ meters to pat a player on the back after a silly mistake. I know it's been said before but he has a bit of Aaron Hamill about him. One of the first 5 picked every week for me. Next captain for me.

3. Riewoldt is a champion. My favourite player over the last 10 years. I just wish I didn't hear some the things coming out of his mouth last night directed at younger players. The guy's clearly feared and respect him but IMO when you're so close to the action, you also get to see the reaction of other players (that were berated by roo) which weren't too happy with the treatment. Probably nothing in it though. Just an observation.

4. Ross is fast becoming our most important midfielder. Couldn't be more proud of the kid.

5. I've been to Etihad for the past few games and the crowd is really starting to make some noise. It felt like there was 45k+ Saints fans in there. It's starting to feel like 2004 in there again. Loving the atmosphere at the game and really hope Saints fans make a real effort to turn up to all our home games.

6. Josh Bruce. One of the hardest workers in the team last night. Didn't affect the scoreboard too much but his gut running and pressure acts were top notch. More than a few times I caught him hunched over gasping for air. A few free's should've gone his way but that'll come. Great player.

7. Richo gave the young guns a go in the middle for the final centre clearance of the game. We had Hickey, Minch, Acres and Ross. Boy, did they deliver. Acres is just so cool under pressure. 10 touches in that final quarter if i'm not mistaken. I can't wait to see him tear it up next year.

Haven't enjoyed a game like that in a long time. Time to re watch it..

GO saints!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Observations.

That summary is perfect. Josh Bruce was everywhere in the 3rd and 4th quarters and I have to agree that his pressure and his ability to run and provide options were crucial in the win. The effort and intensity in the last quarter from every player was brilliant

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:That summary is perfect. Josh Bruce was everywhere in the 3rd and 4th quarters and I have to agree that his pressure and his ability to run and provide options were crucial in the win. The effort and intensity in the last quarter from every player was brilliant
He actually tries too hard. Thats why he reminds me of a young rooey. This is first time I noticed how hard he works. He is actually going to be rooey mark 2. This time yesterday I would have laughed if someone said that. I must pay more attention to off the ball stuff.

loris
Saintsational Legend

stkmo wrote:
2. Mav Weller. The guy is a natural born leader. More than once we saw him run 50+ meters to pat a player on the back after a silly mistake. I know it's been said before but he has a bit of Aaron Hamill about him. One of the first 5 picked every week for me. Next captain for me.

!
stkmo, sadly living in WA I don't get to see many matches live these days to watch that off-ball stuff. TV never gives a wholistic representation of the game that's for sure. One misses all of those little nuances of the game.

When I get to see games live, in WA or a quick trip to Melbourne I just absorb all what is happening behind or ahead of the play, that I often miss what is happening at ball level!

Lenny Hayes, in every game I saw him play used to do so much work with players off the ball during a game, the encouraging pat on the back if someone stuffed up, as if telling them, put that out of your mind, concentrate on the next contest. He also used to run 50 metres to give a player a message, then he'd be off into the thick of the play again. Or if a player did something well and Lenny wasn't close to play, he would call out to the player or capture their attention in some way and give the thumbs up. Quite often at quarter time breaks, before heading to a huddle he would make straight for a player who needed encouragement or maybe a stern word. Another player who did a lot of this was Nathan Burke. No wonder those two players were always considered spiritual leaders in our club during their days.

This year I've been to 2 games live. The matches against North Melbourne and the West Coast Eagles, each time I thought that Mav Weller displayed those leadership traits and team nurturing attributes that Lenny & Burkie possessed.

I read somewhere, a couple of the newbies (it was either last season or early this season) spoke highly of Mav Weller, saying he was their mentor. They could go to him on any issue, he encouraged then to just call him up drop around to his house. Mav was the one they praised for making the transition to AFL less daunting.

I think the Saints have a real gem in Maverick Weller

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Leadership is not just about cuddling people and giving confidence... That's false support

It can be about demanding high levels, being accountable for actions and delivering discipline
If these boys cannot handle harsh words (ie when Gresh missed a shot when he had support) he is too precious ! It's not personal, they no that... It's about respect and learning!

If you've played footy, you'll know that a spray is often required to deliver a message for poor performance which is unacceptable

The Swans lived by it under Roos, out team under GT and RL were famous for the honest way in which they communicated

Mav Weller as you indicated, along with Gears are the two most blunt and straight up leaders at StK who call a spade a spade.. They do not tolerate rubbish at work. Weller is intense and frightening.

Nick R knows what it's like and what is required to be at the top (individually and as a team) if he has a go at a kid, they listen.

Leadership is not popularity and being nice... It's about making tough calls and saying difficult things that need to be said

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The season's starting to have a 2003 feel about it. Going to be an interesting back half of the year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Leadership is not popularity and being nice... It's about making tough calls and saying difficult things that need to be said
Nathan Buckley used to think the same way - until he read a few books and educated himself. It's about getting the best out of ppl. Not everyone is wired the same. No point calling players sooks because they can't handle it. You want EVERYONE playing at their best - not spraying guys as much out of frustration as anything else. Interesting that most didn't rate Matty Richardson as a great leader. Nothing wrong with being direct. In fact I'm all for it. But there's a fine line between being tough, direct and respected and becoming selfish when things don't go your way and using your power in a team/organisation to express that frustration knowing that ramifications are minimal to you.

I rate as Roo as the 2nd best saint I've ever seen and in my top 10 players I've ever seen, but the OP's observations are a little disturbing.

Milne
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:The season's starting to have a 2003 feel about it. Going to be an interesting back half of the year.
We had a great run home that year and only just missed out on finals, then went on to win 10 straight (and the NAB cup) in 2004. Would be absolutely thrilled if that were the case.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick R is regarded along with Hodge and unfortunately Selwood as clearly the best three captains in the AFL

1/ they demand high levels and communicate that clearly
2/ they deliver those very expectations and some themselves

You NEVER pander to players and give them an excuse to not deliver... A true leader does not motivate, he inspires. If one has to be motivated by another, as Buckley says, I'd question their ability to be consistently great... That needs to be intrinsic.

Most educational leadership in football is done during the week ... Game day is about delivering on expectations

Saint wagga
Club Player

Great OP. Really enjoyed seeing that many on hear are also enjoing seeing Bruce at work. He hasn't had the scorebaord reward in that many gakmes, but he is really working hard, taking a very good defender to hold him, a lot of the time geting double teamed, creating space for others, taking very imprtant link up marks and is a fantastic selfless team man.

I hope he keeps his head up high whilst not getting the ultimate reward with big bags of goals, but he is integral to our side! Quiclly beocming one of my absolute favs!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great to hear Roo gets stuck into the kids. The modern politeness and etiquette stuff is what our coach does perfectly. On the field in the heat of battle - and it wasn't a game yesterday it was warfare, there is no need for please and thank yous

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I heard AR give an almighty spray this year to Curran, Acres, Michington, Templeton ... And a few other. He blasted them!!

Then walked off with the comment... "F***ing do something about it!"

In the last quarter Nick did what truly great leaders do... Led with action.. Took two match winning mark in defence and backed into an on coming pack.

His leadership in unquestionable imo

howlinwolf
Club Player

stkmo wrote:Had seats on the wing last night, level 1 Row A so I could see and hear a lot more than usual and picked up on the following things.

1. Jack Steven was massive. He ran and ran and ran. Willed himself to every contest. Especially in the last 3 minutes of the games. 4 of 5 pressure acts within the space of a minute saved the game. Brownlow smokey?

3. Riewoldt is a champion. My favourite player over the last 10 years. I just wish I didn't hear some the things coming out of his mouth last night directed at younger players. The guy's clearly feared and respect him but IMO when you're so close to the action, you also get to see the reaction of other players (that were berated by roo) which weren't too happy with the treatment. Probably nothing in it though. Just an observation.

4. Ross is fast becoming our most important midfielder. Couldn't be more proud of the kid.

5. I've been to Etihad for the past few games and the crowd is really starting to make some noise. It felt like there was 45k+ Saints fans in there. It's starting to feel like 2004 in there again. Loving the atmosphere at the game and really hope Saints fans make a real effort to turn up to all our home games.

6. Josh Bruce. One of the hardest workers in the team last night. Didn't affect the scoreboard too much but his gut running and pressure acts were top notch. More than a few times I caught him hunched over gasping for air. A few free's should've gone his way but that'll come. Great player.

7. Richo gave the young guns a go in the middle for the final centre clearance of the game. We had Hickey, Minch, Acres and Ross. Boy, did they deliver. Acres is just so cool under pressure. 10 touches in that final quarter if i'm not mistaken. I can't wait to see him tear it up next year.

Haven't enjoyed a game like that in a long time. Time to re watch it..

GO saints!
Great observations ! I agree on all counts.

I put the noise by a smallish 28K crowd down to a mutual distaste for the opposition. Along with the closeness of the result and the effort of the team.
It was bloody loud from where we were sitting on level three aisle 36 and lots of friction with the Cats supporters.
Why the hell they choose to sit in sections marked "StKilda Supporters Area" is beyond me. They deserved what they got.

I am very impressed with Richo's coaching.
To me, it's like finally the penny has dropped.

Play an attacking, pressure and fast flow on style of football.
Left the Cats no time to intercept, go 2+3 up and coral the opposition and play on their terms.
They were found wanting with this style.

Also Roo on the wing and roaming the ground is a massive plus. Gone are the days he stayed relatively in the forward line with Scarlett,Taylor and Lonergon triple teaming him.
We have too many forward weapons to cover now and it's let Roo loose around the ground where he can't be triple teamed.

It was a great team effort last night but some shone through brightly.
Is Seb Ross the most improved footballer going around ?
He would have surprised many neutral supporters last night. I'll bet some cocky Cats supporters are wondering where the hell that came from ?

Jack Steven is just sublime to watch. he backs himself and takes the game on. VERY exciting as when he gets its and puts the foot down something positive is going to happen.

Hickey did extremely well, especially considering they had so many ruck options. He was absolutely spent at the end of the game.
I told him how well he had done covering the ground for so long and he said with a grin "I'm F!@#$ed" then covered his mouth quickly. It brought lots of laughter from those that heard it !

Gears did a fantastic job as did the whole backline. Gilbo made blunders but he saved our skin as well.

Mav and Armo were warriors. Minchie did his bit.
Bruce competed and kept them honest besides our poor delivery to him. That really could improve a great deal.
Overall we could really improve our options going forward.
We could have 4 more goals at half time easily.

Paddy is coming along at a rapid rate. He'll be a great weapon when we challenge next. Could easily have kicked four.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good observations.

Roo probably does take the verbal stuff too far on occasion. Fringe players like Minch and Acres are clearly terrified and look to pass it to him whenever they get the ball - even if he isnt in the best position.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I am very happy that Gresham took that shot in first quarter and didn't pass it off to Roo

OK he missed but he was in the best position to take it and he backed himself - good to see

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The two turning points that got Geelong back into the game

The non free kick paid to Geelong when Paddy pushed the defender in the arm/shoulder - if Paddy gets paid the mark and kicks the goal we go 5 goals up at the start of the 3rd - this would have been the perfect start to the 2nd half and would have deflated Geelong somewhat instead we immediately get the Gilbert brain fade to get them going in the 3rd just after the Paddy decision

There were also a couple of other plays like Roo's brain fade pass after we had rallied and the Roberton 50m that also helped their cause later in the 3rd

So in the 3rd there were at least 3 goals which we handed to them on a platter - all were avoidable - experienced players as well :shock:

Get the feeling that Geelong should never have got so close - gotta learn from these mistakes and cut them out of our game

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ABC Offsiders gave us huge praise this morning. Waleed Aly even talking us up.

dsav
Club Player

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Disagree on Gresham

Poor decision. Two fwds running towards one defender... A goal must result!
Why wouldn't you draw the defender and dish, with the shot being from 25 rather than 40
If you ignore your team mate ... You must not miss

If Minch cannot handle on field criticism (which I reckon he can) then he should head back to the mpnfl and play... Although he will still attract a spray there... So perhaps not to play at all
It's a brutal business, not for the faint hearted. Many on here may not like it because of they perceive it... But it gets hot when you're right in the heat of battle... No time for sensitivity.
Sooks won't or don't make it.
If you've played, you d been sprayed... You either put your tail between your legs or you respond.

Ever notice Hodge on field

howlinwolf
Club Player

Dave,
I really have to commend you on the quality of those shots.
They really are incredible.
What file size are they for purchase in the digital format ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
dsav
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:Dave,
I really have to commend you on the quality of those shots.
They really are incredible.
What file size are they for purchase in the digital format ?
Thanks for that howlinwolf - glad you like them.
The digital downloads are generally full resolution (4928 × 3280) - although some are cropped to something a little smaller depending on the photo.
I charge a few dollars each for them just to cover the web hosting costs for the year.
In most cases however the club will post them early in the week at a smaller but still ok resolution - so you are better off grabbing them from there unless you really want the full sized versions!

Cheers,
Dave.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:. Waleed Aly even talking us up.

Faark!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:ABC Offsiders gave us huge praise this morning. Waleed Aly even talking us up.
waleed a footy expert as well now?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:ABC Offsiders gave us huge praise this morning. Waleed Aly even talking us up.
waleed a footy expert as well now?
He's an expert on everything else. Just ask him,and he will confirm that.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:The two turning points that got Geelong back into the game

The non free kick paid to Geelong when Paddy pushed the defender in the arm/shoulder - if Paddy gets paid the mark and kicks the goal we go 5 goals up at the start of the 3rd - this would have been the perfect start to the 2nd half and would have deflated Geelong somewhat instead we immediately get the Gilbert brain fade to get them going in the 3rd just after the Paddy decision

There were also a couple of other plays like Roo's brain fade pass after we had rallied and the Roberton 50m that also helped their cause later in the 3rd

So in the 3rd there were at least 3 goals which we handed to them on a platter - all were avoidable - experienced players as well :shock:

Get the feeling that Geelong should never have got so close - gotta learn from these mistakes and cut them out of our game

Of course Geelong didn't make any mistakes at all. Just a superb Geelong effort. StKilda lucky to win after these mistakes and those umpires!

Glass half empty Devihead.

I am now going to top mine up!

Saint supporter since '62