Goodbye Mr Chips?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goodbye Mr Chips?

To the top wrote:It is imperative that to progress you have to establish a winning culture against similar improving sides - and be able to compete against the leading sides in the competition, jagging a win or two.

This is also to present to potential trade targets that they are coming to a side on the rise - and where opportunity to cement a place in such a side exists (including because older, core players are approaching retirement).

So it is a not negotiable requirement that St Kilda continue to win games, including last week v Gold Coast (a very, very costly loss), this week against Essendon and then against Melbourne et al.

To do this you require your currently best side on the park including, particularly, the experienced players to provide the class, direction and experience to those establishing.

It is interesting that, after the very physical game v Geelong last year (a draw) we fell away very badly from there including on trips to Adelaide and Perth in the last weeks of the season

This year, after a very physical game against Geelong, we have similarly fallen away.

So too many bodies not up to the physical punishment week on week and particularly when travel is involved?

This week, again, will be very telling.

Nothing short of a very good win is the not negotiable requirement - otherwise papers will be marked on some who aspire to be the long term future of St Kilda.
But how much experience do we need? Even without Fish down back we'd have Geary 150ish games, Gilbo 150ish, Roberton 100, Joey shitload, Dempster shitload, Savage/Webster/Carlisle around 50 I think. At some point you have to cut back on the oldies and let others step up in responsibility. Younger players bring more energy and freshness. I actually think we are a better team without Dempster - we have too many defensive only focused backs as it is.

And I don't necessarily agree with this obsession about a winning culture. Yes you don't want to be Melbourne but Hawks were down for a long while - Clarkson was almost sacked. Didn't seem to hurt their winning culture later. Do the rebuild properly even if it takes time and the wins will come later, including the best win of all in the last day in September. And if you become a powerhouse and win flags, players want to join your club. Geelong, Hawks, Sydney don't have trouble landing big fishes because players know they are going to clubs that win flags.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

A fond farewell to Chips. A magnificent player over a long period. The time has come, unfortunately. We lack any real rebounding power from half back. What we need, in addition to Carlisle with his intercept marking ability, is at least two very quick, elite kicking defenders. We haven't got one at present. Webster, Savage and Newnes are ok, but hardly threatening to the opposition. Geary is purely a stopper. Gilbo? No comment. Look what johanissen adds for the dogs. Joey is a partial, short term fix at best, if not at all. Line breakers who can kick. Who fits the bill? Suggestions?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We just beat Carlton and Geelong without both Fisher and Dempster so to claim we cant win without them is definitively incorrect.

Add to that we get Carlisle next year who will be 25 and has 85 AFL games to his name.
Savage has 104 games.
Roberton has 94 games
Geary has 134 games.
Webster has 50.
Newnes has 83.
Montagna is mostly playing down back and has 263 games.

Experience down back is not a problem for our list. The 'winning culture' thing is clearly bulls*** because Dempster played 22 games in 2014 and we still finished last. Where was the 'winning culture' argument then?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:A fond farewell to Chips. A magnificent player over a long period. The time has come, unfortunately. We lack any real rebounding power from half back. What we need, in addition to Carlisle with his intercept marking ability, is at least two very quick, elite kicking defenders. We haven't got one at present. Webster, Savage and Newnes are ok, but hardly threatening to the opposition. Geary is purely a stopper. Gilbo? No comment. Look what johanissen adds for the dogs. Joey is a partial, short term fix at best, if not at all. Line breakers who can kick. Who fits the bill? Suggestions?
Agree 100%.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:A fond farewell to Chips. A magnificent player over a long period. The time has come, unfortunately. We lack any real rebounding power from half back. What we need, in addition to Carlisle with his intercept marking ability, is at least two very quick, elite kicking defenders. We haven't got one at present. Webster, Savage and Newnes are ok, but hardly threatening to the opposition. Geary is purely a stopper. Gilbo? No comment. Look what johanissen adds for the dogs. Joey is a partial, short term fix at best, if not at all. Line breakers who can kick. Who fits the bill? Suggestions?
Savage isn't damaging are you kidding?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Like White on Rice baby. White and Rice are the two really promising half back piston options in my eyes. Both can kick a footy damn well, look natural footy players and both capable of breaking the lines. Mckenzie is more a runner but not a bad kick and good overhead. Savage is a good kick but his decision making can be a bit iffy and needs to lower his eyes more. Billings was playing half back in the VFL to use his good kicking to set up play from the back but is he more valuable forward and onball? Webster can be great occasionally with his kicking, can be shocking as well. IF Roberton was the third tall he would bring some good run from the back. Lee can kick well and a good mark but struggling to show he's agile enough to be an Afl backmen. I think we'll look at drafting/trading in a third tall option who hopefully can provide some offensive drive as well. Murdoch is looking like the odds are against him despite his occasionally penetrating kicking. So we've got some options, just need to see which ones come through.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Savage isn't damaging are you kidding?
Not the deadliest in terms of accuracy. Great run, but tends to bomb away at times. He does have a tendency for the more than occasional Clanger or brain fade. I see Sav moving more into the midfield. We need deadly accuracy coming out of defence because of the way we play. At times our "launches" from the backline should be accompanied by the Benny Hill soundtrack. I want Ride of the Valkyries!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Brandon White is one I've got earmarked for the future, Bluthy. Reminds me a bit of a young Dal. Could be a gun.

To the top
SS Life Member

To some commenting on here, the world has moved on.

No doubt you still vote Liberal because you have always voted Liberal - without recognising that it is now the province of a raft of Christian fundamentalists with middle European backgrounds and The Institute of Public Affairs - so, as Malcolm Fraser lamented "the Liberal Party is no longer the Liberal Party" before resigning.

Same with the footy.

We now live in the world of "free agency".

And as Hawthorn, as the beneficiary to date of "free agency", have shown you attract the players you seek by offering results, results being premierships.

And Hawthorn recruit players with experience, usually from lower sides and making the re-build of those lower sides harder because they are not introducing young talent to an experienced and very capable core.

To attract the players St Kilda require we firstly need the salary cap margin to out bid.

BUT, we also have to be able to sell the journey to being a side that consistently is there during the last 4 weeks of the season and right in the mix to take the whole damn lot.

To have team photographs on the wall so, in years time, you can take your Grand-kids and show them you in a photograph.

For that journey to commence we need success to the level that gives the confidence that the journey has commenced - including that the next generation is flourishing with the interim protection offered by a core of senior players who represent the commitment to the Club and commitment to the Club's future because THAT is the culture and the confidence.

The sides currently at the top of the AFL ladder are very, very experienced, with hard, mature bodies and they hit hard, very hard especially up against young opposition - so yes we need a core of senior players to take the responsibility and protect the emerging young talent until they have the maturity and the mature bodies to give more than they receive.

With Free Agency we can maintain that experienced core - as Hawthorn do.

And, in the process, give a very good grounding at VFL level before AFL opportunity is given.

So, in today's world, it is not an option to play a team of kids to see what they have and take your eye off the need to win games of football.

Winning is central to the whole equation of AFL footy today.

We live in a different world.

karnak
Club Player

great post To The Top!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Chips ain't finished yet. I reckon he'll be very important in 2017, and if his form holds may play in 2018 also I hope

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saintspremiers wrote:Chips ain't finished yet. I reckon he'll be very important in 2017, and if his form holds may play in 2018 also I hope
I reckon you need to stay off the Uncle Doug's........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:To some commenting on here, the world has moved on.

No doubt you still vote Liberal because you have always voted Liberal - without recognising that it is now the province of a raft of Christian fundamentalists with middle European backgrounds and The Institute of Public Affairs - so, as Malcolm Fraser lamented "the Liberal Party is no longer the Liberal Party" before resigning.

Same with the footy.

We now live in the world of "free agency".

And as Hawthorn, as the beneficiary to date of "free agency", have shown you attract the players you seek by offering results, results being premierships.

And Hawthorn recruit players with experience, usually from lower sides and making the re-build of those lower sides harder because they are not introducing young talent to an experienced and very capable core.

To attract the players St Kilda require we firstly need the salary cap margin to out bid.

BUT, we also have to be able to sell the journey to being a side that consistently is there during the last 4 weeks of the season and right in the mix to take the whole damn lot.

To have team photographs on the wall so, in years time, you can take your Grand-kids and show them you in a photograph.

For that journey to commence we need success to the level that gives the confidence that the journey has commenced - including that the next generation is flourishing with the interim protection offered by a core of senior players who represent the commitment to the Club and commitment to the Club's future because THAT is the culture and the confidence.

The sides currently at the top of the AFL ladder are very, very experienced, with hard, mature bodies and they hit hard, very hard especially up against young opposition - so yes we need a core of senior players to take the responsibility and protect the emerging young talent until they have the maturity and the mature bodies to give more than they receive.

With Free Agency we can maintain that experienced core - as Hawthorn do.

And, in the process, give a very good grounding at VFL level before AFL opportunity is given.

So, in today's world, it is not an option to play a team of kids to see what they have and take your eye off the need to win games of football.

Winning is central to the whole equation of AFL footy today.

We live in a different world.
You keep comparing us to Hawthorn now with 4 premierships under their belt and going for a 5th. YOu should be comparing us to Hawthorn when they started their rebuild doing exactly what we've done. Trade out some older guys with value, which also forces you down the bottom of the ladder, to get young talent in with high draft picks and then play them keeping some more mature players for big bodies and learning. But the oldies also get phased out year by year if they can't hold their place and have young turks ready to step up and you start to pick the eyes out of other teams lists to fill needs. Hawthorn have used FA as icing on their cake to stay up, but the getting up was due to the core of brilliant players they drafted and played to get them synced as a tight unit.

You seem to have this fantasy that there will be huge fishes banging our door down every year. We got Carlisle probably only because his club was treating him like a human guinea pig and Freeman who was happy to set himself up with a million for 3 years when he couldn't even play a single game for two years.

Guess what - we are playing the kids - stacks of them - and still having great wins. We beat the ladder leaders without Dempster and Fisher - that created a week of huge buzz for the club about our young talent. That is what will get FA's in through the door. Yes we coildn't back it up the next week but no surprise there.

According to your "keep all the standard bearers" logic we shouldn't have traded out Dal Santo, Goddard and McEvoy. And then we would have been stuck in mid-table mediocre and wouldn't have the cream like Paddy and Billings. We have gone down the full rebuild road so the question is where is where is the line between oldies and newbies. People think I go on about this but personally I don't think Dempster holds his place purely on merit. He's not big enough to be a KPD and as the third tall he needs to be peeling off his man quickly to help out at contests and set up play from the back and I don't think he does that. Are you saying you play him simply because he's old and sets standards? I think that is a recipe for disaster. We need the best team out there and team that is primarly focused on the future.

I'm not saying you throw all the oldies out but they have to hold their place. Thats how Hawks did it. Roo, Joey, Geary, Gilbo, Armo, Steven are all going on next year - thats a good core with quite a few of our mid age players now hitting the 100 game mark and even younger ones hitting the 50 game mark. They aren't babies. I would let one of Demps or Fish go on with Goddard going down. But if you keep both then Richo will almost certainly play both if fit and you will end up with a backline next year of Demps, Fish, Carlisle, Joey, Geary and Gilbo. That is not the backline of the future and no room for young guys like White, Rice, Mckenzie, Coughlan etc to get the senior exposure they need.

When we've one 4 flags then I'll be the first to tell the young recruits to be satisfied learning their craft in the VFL while the premiership heroes of Paddy, Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Bruce et al go for a fifth flag. But we aint Hawthorn. Stop getting ahead of yourself.

gone fission
Club Player

Fisher would be no chance to go on after re-injuring himself and will now miss basically half the season.

He's turning 34 next week, we need to move on.

stonecold
SS Life Member

gone fission wrote:Fisher would be no chance to go on after re-injuring himself and will now miss basically half the season.

He's turning 34 next week, we need to move on.
As I've stated all along, some people just won't move on when it comes to club champions, this is something we have to get better at as a club if we want to truly be successful!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
To the top
SS Life Member

Yes we traded out Goddard, Dal Santo and Mc Evoy - receiving what we did.

And, for a raft of differing reasons, all those decisions were correct.

But, the facts are that the experience we have left is down to Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster (all over 30) and then Gilbert (29).

So, at 5 of our current List, hardly a significant number.

Now, when you respond that we should trade out our experience to invest in youth, of those listed who would you trade out and what currency would they have?

I happen to think that the retaining of that "Group of 5" is vital to the continued development of this side, vital to results being achieved and therefore vital to the profile of the Club as on the rise and a "Free Agency" destination Club.

Our next tranch of players on the "age scale", apart from Armitage and Steven, consists of Savage, Lee, Geary, Delaney, Shenton and Holmes none of whom will represent St Kilda on GF Day on current, disclosed performances - so that introduces another issue because the Lyon years have seen us denuded of the 25 to 28 year old's capable of impacting games as Armitage and Steven can.

And your reference to Hawthorn is incorrect.

As I have put, post "Free Agency" the world has moved on so what Hawthorn did whatever number of years ago is no longer relevant to today's competition

We now live in a different world.

Just to compare, given the Draft/Academy players GWS have, they have gone out and recruited Patfull, Davis, Shaw, Mumford, Johnson et al.

They have added the experience required.

Presenting that the Hawthorn "model" remains relevant today would be akin to invading Vietnam again (at the cost of over 300 Conscripted 20 year old Australian's lives, remember?) or invading Iraq again, both of which Chilcot has referred to in his damming Report (and where the spurious excuse for a DD election here was to have the election prior to the date of release of that Report because it is politically so damaging to the Liberal Party).

In a progressive world, there is a real problem with those still living in the past (albeit that responsibility for decisions made in past times should remain including as a lesson for the future)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Armitage, Geary, Steven, Savage, Roberton & Carlisle are all experienced, hardened & seasoned players. They are our senior players whether people like it or not.

So none of them have played in a GF but we cant hang on to everyone who played in the 09/10 GF's just for sentimental reasons.

How many of Adelaide's current crop have played in a GF? How many of GWS? How many of the Bulldogs? Suckling, & Mumford? That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Armitage, Geary, Steven, Savage, Roberton & Carlisle are all experienced, hardened & seasoned players. They are our senior players whether people like it or not.

So none of them have played in a GF but we cant hang on to everyone who played in the 09/10 GF's just for sentimental reasons.

How many of Adelaide's current crop have played in a GF? How many of GWS? How many of the Bulldogs? Suckling, & Mumford? That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
GWS also have Shaw and Johnson

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Chips would be unlikely to go on again ... Been a club great whom I put in the best few key defenders in the clubs history. Arguably the best?

Murray, Frawley, Roberts, Howell, Hudghton

Sam has a CV that would be right up there
3rd B&F 2006
RU B&F 2007
B&F 2008, 2011
All Australian 2008

saintly
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Chips would be unlikely to go on again ... Been a club great whom I put in the best few key defenders in the clubs history. Arguably the best?

Murray, Frawley, Roberts, Howell, Hudghton

Sam has a CV that would be right up there
3rd B&F 2006
RU B&F 2007
B&F 2008, 2011
All Australian 2008

Except that fisher himself wants to go again next year.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: As I have put, post "Free Agency" the world has moved on so what Hawthorn did whatever number of years ago is no longer relevant to today's competition

We now live in a different world.

Just to compare, given the Draft/Academy players GWS have, they have gone out and recruited Patfull, Davis, Shaw, Mumford, Johnson et al.

They have added the experience required.

Presenting that the Hawthorn "model" remains relevant today would be akin to invading Vietnam again (at the cost of over 300 Conscripted 20 year old Australian's lives, remember?) or invading Iraq again, both of which Chilcot has referred to in his damming Report (and where the spurious excuse for a DD election here was to have the election prior to the date of release of that Report because it is politically so damaging to the Liberal Party).

In a progressive world, there is a real problem with those still living in the past (albeit that responsibility for decisions made in past times should remain including as a lesson for the future)
You're exaggerating to a ridiculous degree the impact of FA. FA has increased player movement a little but clubs have almost always facilitated a trade if players want out. From memory Hawks traded picks for Burgyone, Lake and McEvoy. I think Frawley went FA as Melbourne got a juicy compo pick.

GWS were desperate for older seasoned player simply because they had none of their own. We have some of our own. Doesn't mean you have to keep them all until they collapse from old age.

The bottom-out rebuild model is being used by Melbourne, Brisbane, Carlton, Dogs and us and will be used again without a shadow of a doubt by the clubs that don't have advantages of the powerfully resourced clubs like Hawks, Cats, Sydney and Pies that can attract big fish. If anything its more popular than ever despite FA. Clubs have seen what we and Hawks have done with it when done properly and its become an industry standard. People forget that before we did it, it was accepted practice for bottom clubs to trade out their high picks for established players to bounce back up quickly. We took a long term view that changed that.

You're the one living in the past - and stop making this a political/ideological argument - its got nothing to do with that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He would like to go on... All things going well with his body.

Unfortunately all things aren't going well..

To the top
SS Life Member

"because they had none of their own. We have some of our own. Doesn't mean you have to keep them all"

As I have detailed (I think correctly) we have JUST 5, being Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster and Gilbert.

So do we reduce this to 1, or 2, or 3, or 4?

And trade those we jettison for high Draft Picks?

Hmmm!!

And facts is facts!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:"because they had none of their own. We have some of our own. Doesn't mean you have to keep them all"

As I have detailed (I think correctly) we have JUST 5, being Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster and Gilbert.

So do we reduce this to 1, or 2, or 3, or 4?

And trade those we jettison for high Draft Picks?

Hmmm!!

And facts is facts!!!
Not sure what you are trying to argue? None of those guys would get us a high draft pick now.

The Crows only have 2 players on their list over 30.

Surely each player should be judged on their own individual merits rather than some arbitrary number?

Armitage and Geary are no longer spring chickens. Nor are Steven, Savage, Roberton, Carlisle, Weller, Delaney, Hickey, Bruce or Newnes.

Both Roo and Montagna are already contracted for next year.

To the top
SS Life Member

Someone else suggested moving on our veteran players for high draft picks if they can be obtained.

It just is not going to happen because they will not command high draft picks (and I doubt they would be accepting of St Kilda moving them on).

And I entirely agree that form and contribution are the criteria for selection - exclusively.

You do not jettison Dempster and/or Fisher as is suggested by someone (where Fisher and Dempster have both performed very well this season including Dempster with KPP defensive responsibilities which he is not really equipped for - and injuries allowing but they happen) or any others of our (limited) veterans simply to gift a game to a young player citing the future and Dempster and Fisher being in the side as detrimental to that future as the reason.

Games have to be earned by consistent, AFL stand out performances in the VFL and against the leading sides in the VFL.