who needs to be in our best..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

who needs to be in our best..?

Who needs to be in our best for a win today? Apart from the usual suspects, I'd say Dunstan, Billings, Gilbo and Bruce
- go saints!!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: who needs to be in our best..?

Dunstan isn't really a match winner - he's more a worker bee. Billings can be a match winner but teams are very conscious of him and its his first game back so can't expect miracles - would love to see him on ball or setting up play from the back - something different to that wing/forward role where teams can shut him down.

FORWARD
With, Paddy out, Bruce not dominating and Rooey seemingly battling his knee problems again, Membrey is the one that I think needs to kick at least a few. Its a worry we are relying on a 188 player as our key forward. Would have loved Pierce in for this game as another big target and relief ruck. Weller is a potential match winner with his goal kicking cameo's but needs to involve himself more through the match.

MIDFIELD
Hickey has to have a ripper. Demons have more young midfield talent than us but they don't have an elite like Steven who is starting to look unstoppable, able to win his own ball and his acceleration breaking lines. Would love to see Ross take it up another notch today. Not just possessions but winning at the coal face, goals and goal assists. I almost get the feeling that if ARmo doesn't have a brilliant game we won't win. We need him to get back to his barnstorming form from last year to partner Steven as Steven can't do everything (even though he tries).

BACK
The huge issue for me is our run out of the back with Savage out. We need someone else besides Joey to be able to give drive and creativity from the back. To me Newnes needs to step up his creative play from the back and not just take safe options. He runs that channel from back to front clocking up possessions but tends not to be damaging enough just completing simple passes. Needs to become more penetrating. Another option would be to play Acres in a sweeper role. He's got some good height and when he first started I thought he could read the play really well. His disposal hasn't been great but I'm hoping he just needs more composure.

Melbourne will be fired up today desperate to break our hold over them. Will be the good or the bad Saints that turn up when the ball is bounced?

older saint
SS Life Member

Roo, billings, Steven, Dempster, Hickey, Membrey

carn_sainter
Club Player

If every single midfielder plays at or very near his best and
we have players presenting through the middle of the ground up to the defenders and
every player has his kicking boots on
we'll win.

If our execution is poor, our ball movement is stagnant and the dees get first hands on the ball we'll get smashed.

We can and probably should win this game, despite that Melbourne is having a better season than we are. I'd say that it's unlikely we'll get beaten at the contest so thoroughly that that is the game, but if we can't move the ball fast and precisely we'll beat ourselves.

Go saints!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

When we win it usually because we have 22 contributors and no passengers.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'll go one each section of the ground.

Roberton - to defend well aerially and kick well out of the back line, with the occasional gallop.

Steven - when he's quiet we tend to lose.

Membrey - when he troubles opp defenses other options open up in addition to him kicking a bag of snags.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigballs
Club Player

For starters....Hickey, Ross, Armo, Steven, Bruce, Membrey, Dempster, Roo.

If we can limit Hogan's contribution to about 4 goals, we'll be in with a good chance of winning. Not sure who's going to get the job on him today, but whoever ends up on him, I hope he/they play well. Could be double teamed maybe?

Steven I feel will get tagged by either Viney or Vince. Jacky boy's not that good in breaking tags, so I hope he can overcome that today if he does get tagged.

Hopefully Hickey can beat or at least break even with Gawn.

All in all, everyone has to be focused and on their game today, we have to limit the turnovers, hit our targets and kick straight for goal. If we can do all that, needless to say, we'll win.

Go Sainters!! :D