Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan

Gee he does a power of 'heavy' work in the middle.
He may not get 20+ disposals a game but his blocking, tackling, bulldozing and 'pressure acts' in the middle are unbelievable for a guy so inexperienced (in games played)
It is obvious to me that his role in the centre square is designed to complement the other on-ballers rather than for him to amass disposals.
And as such he has become an important cog in our setup.

lintonstreet
Club Player

Re: Dunstan

Mr Magic wrote:Gee he does a power of 'heavy' work in the middle.
He may not get 20+ disposals a game but his blocking, tackling, bulldozing and 'pressure acts' in the middle are unbelievable for a guy so inexperienced (in games played)
It is obvious to me that his role in the centre square is designed to complement the other on-ballers rather than for him to amass disposals.
And as such he has become an important cog in our setup.
Agreed.
Played really well inside tonight.
From my perspective is only getting better and better. Will be cherry ripe next year and beyond!

noddy04
Club Player

He came out of the centre square tonight and said to my wife and son wow there goes a left footed Lenny Hayes

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

he's awesome for us. only going to get better. just don't understand some of the criticism he gets given the job he does for us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If he could just find a couple of yards of pace he could become elite.

firthy
Club Player

impatient saint you are an absolute d**khead you have not got a clue what the capers about .

<warning for abuse>

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

His kicking accuracy last night went up a notch and really complemented his hardness inside. Fantastic effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always loyal
carn_sainter
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:His kicking accuracy last night went up a notch and really complemented his hardness inside. Fantastic effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That ball from the hickey handpass on the boundary line to hit up roo 30m directly in front was a beautiful kick! Likewise when he passed from the wing to Joey in the centre circle. It's a fair knock on him that his kicking is sometimes pretty wasteful, or at least not damaging, so it was very encouraging to see him tighten it up last night

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah he was in the zone with his kicking last night Dunny. That was how I remembered him when he first started and I wondered if doing so much tough work in the heat of the midfield kitchen was exhausting him. Hopefully he can keep that disposal level going as he becomes a genuine weapon if he is so hard inside and then distributing it really well and setting up marks in dangerous positions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Had a good game. One of our best I thought.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Classy and courageous inside type, does some serious hard work in close - doesn't get the credit he deserves - generally only plays about 76% game time - yet produces good numbers.

My favourite Saints player.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sun 24 Jul 2016 5:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

He plays the tough, inside-mid role so you cannot expect him to get huge possession numbers. And, yes, he was clearly one of our best last night.

I have said this before; when Luke Dunstan is playing well and winning the ball StKilda usually win. He was winning it from the first bounce last night, I pointed this out to a number of Dog stalwarts sitting around me (lucky me, the so-and-so ticket seller gave us all reserved seats in the middle of the Bulldogs' cheer squad). By 3/4 time they were all seeing my point, with 10 minutes left in the game they had done a runner!

Saint supporter since '62
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

he had 6 clearances and 17 possesions... Armitage has those numbers and his form is a concern?

he did play alright, but was certainly not outstanding...Jack Steven was outstanding.

And as far as inside mids not getting big numbers... that makes no sense?
They are the possession leaders
Priddis, Rockliff, Kennedy, Selwood, Cripps, Barlow, Mitchell... playing inside gives you access to the most footy.

It's his inability to spread which drops him from 25-30 to 15-20... When Armo was average, Ross was average, Watson was average, Ball was average and any other mid who doesnt win enough outside ball... its usually a running power thing..

if Dunstan drops 5kg and improves his running capacity significantly he will be a good mid... atm he is 17ppg mid. thats not good enough

lintonstreet
Club Player

BigMart wrote:he had 6 clearances and 17 possesions... Armitage has those numbers and his form is a concern?

he did play alright, but was certainly not outstanding...Jack Steven was outstanding.

And as far as inside mids not getting big numbers... that makes no sense?
They are the possession leaders
Priddis, Rockliff, Kennedy, Selwood, Cripps, Barlow, Mitchell... playing inside gives you access to the most footy.

It's his inability to spread which drops him from 25-30 to 15-20... When Armo was average, Ross was average, Watson was average, Ball was average and any other mid who doesnt win enough outside ball... its usually a running power thing..

if Dunstan drops 5kg and improves his running capacity significantly he will be a good mid... atm he is 17ppg mid. thats not good enough

Armo was elite last night.
Had almost 30 pressures acts and tackles and his disposals were all class.
He was a classic warhorse last night. Watch the game again and you'll see how many contests he won for us in tight.
I'm staggered supporters haven;t recognised his different role this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

wasnt referring to Armo