Some players are retaining spots....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Some players are retaining spots....

And I don't get why?

It isn't a criticism against them, certainly not calling them spuds, but why have some guys been undroppable at times this year?

I love the guy, but #27 is horribly out of form, no escaping it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some players are retaining spots....

At least he's had reasonable numbers this year...

albeit it, yeah, he's lucky

There are two others who are gifted games

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Yes #27 has been struggling for a while. There probably isn't much benefit to playing him at Sandy this time of year though is there ? I would prefer they try and get the structure right for next year thouugh and bring Paddy back in next week at FF, put Josh to CHF and work out whether Members is a high half forward or more of a forward pocket mostly inside 50 type.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Bruce cops too much criticism. He tried his guts out tonight. Got screwed by the umps costing him 2 goals at least, he kicked two others and competed well otherwise.
Would have been a good night if the umps weren't such pr#cks

Nee!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:I reckon Bruce cops too much criticism. He tried his guts out tonight. Got screwed by the umps costing him 2 goals at least, he kicked two others and competed well otherwise.
+1. Just home now. Brucey worked his guts out. Very happy he clunked that mark in the last and kicked a couple. That would have been confidence building particularly since he can't buy a free or a 50.

Always loyal
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
fugazi wrote:I reckon Bruce cops too much criticism. He tried his guts out tonight. Got screwed by the umps costing him 2 goals at least, he kicked two others and competed well otherwise.
+1. Just home now. Brucey worked his guts out. Very happy he clunked that mark in the last and kicked a couple. That would have been confidence building particularly since he can't buy a free or a 50.
I also think playing in the ruck doesn't do him any favours

What did ppl think of Gilbert's game? Only sawcthe first half, thought it was terrible.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why does playing time in the ruck effect his ability to mark the footy... Didn't effect Rhys Stanley...

Most power forwards in the league are relieving their prime ruckman for 5 mins a quarter

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Consistently screwed by the umpires. But still kicked 30 odd goals & gives a chop out in the ruck...one of the first picked & some want him dropped. Please....

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I thought the coach made it clear that guys who contest hard, get games.

It's pretty simple.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

If Bruce goes to Sandy and kicks a bag, does it really benefit the cause?? Probably better off building character by working thru the tough times, rather than kicking a few easy ones in the lower level.

The bloke had 4 shots at goal and 2 absolute howlers from the umps, on another night he is BOG.

shrodes
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:What did ppl think of Gilbert's game? Only sawcthe first half, thought it was terrible.
Wasn't worst on ground but didn't really do much from what I saw. Ineffective at best.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why does playing time in the ruck effect his ability to mark the footy... Didn't effect Rhys Stanley...

Most power forwards in the league are relieving their prime ruckman for 5 mins a quarter
I think he gets exhausted and makes mistakes when he's tired. I think he gets smashed in the ruck contests and it effects his confidence. It certainly hasn't helped him.

Don't think it's doing Tom any favours either.

Rhys is not a like for like comparison... He's an actually ruck forward and he has a better midfield delivering him better supply

To the top
SS Life Member

Could easily have had 5 tonight. Was comprehensively screwed.

And we have to look for a ruck solution which does NOT see Bruce rucking.

Gilbert had a big, big task and spoiled and defended well.

Wait until we can spread he and Roberton to flanks, which is where they should play.

saint-stu
Club Player

Agree that Bruce is out of form (compared to his own benchmark) but I still think we're better with him in. Even when he's dropping marks, he still gives a strong contest and can tackle. Lots of those dropped marks get picked up by other saints in our f50.

1ac46a38
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Who would you play instead? Who would play his role better?

Also Bruce is not playing badly, he is just not playing really well, or more accurately is not marking well.

However he is still doing all the TEAM things. Works bloody hard, runs all over the ground, pressures, still landed 4 tackles, while not marking is rarely outmarked and so brings the ball to ground.

CHF has long been held up as the hardest position to play on the ground.

Umpire robbed him a couple of times too. Why that mark was not paid just prior to half time was unbelievable.

In addition without Bruce in the team Membrey's great run may not have been as rosey without Bruce taking a lot of the heat.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Schillaci
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
I also think playing in the ruck doesn't do him any favours

What did ppl think of Gilbert's game? Only sawcthe first half, thought it was terrible.
Bruce is providing a target and competing. With other talls forward he's taking yet another key defender and whilst not enjoying a solid patch of form at the moment he's performing a role and more than serviceable.
As for Gilbert I've seen enough this year to think he's done. Every time he goes near it I get nervous. He isn't clean enough and is awkward when the ball is on the deck. This is putting more pressure on him as he seems to have less time to dispose of it than just about every other player in the team when all things are equal. I'm not a Gilbert hater, he's been a great player and clubman since 2006 but he's not the player he was.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why does playing time in the ruck effect his ability to mark the footy... Didn't effect Rhys Stanley...

Every time he goes into the ruck it's a free hit to the opposition and they get a clearance. If your not 200+ cm then you will struggle in the ruck. I haven't seen Brucey contribute to a centre clearance due to his ruck work. Better to play Pierce off the bench as a relief ruckman. He goes ok around the ground too. Leave Bruce at full forward. Like someone else posted the side looks very unbalanced when Bruce contests the ruck in the middle.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

so hickey plays 100% in the ruck

say it again
every team in the AFL has a #2 ruck that is primarily a forward

you cannot have a ruckman sitting on the bench hurting mid rotation
or
a ruckman in the forward line who cannot play as a forward effectively

Wombat15
Club Player

My big thing ive been on all year is that the role changes and structure has hurt him down forward. Hes playing as a second ruck and copping the best defender, hes only 197cm and has to bang with the likes of other #1 rucks in the comp of which even the back ups are a inch or two taller. He seems to be coping with the best defender, still kicks 2 a game and is very mobile when the ball hits the deck and looks to give it off to someone when he can. i think tonight poor kicking and a couple of very poor decisions went against him. better kicking means he would've kicked 3-5. i reckon next year when paddy hopefully and finally gets his body right, another year of membrey that forward line will start clicking.
it also doesn't help when the delivery into the forward line at times is shocking to say the least.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The funny thing is if Bruce has played this year as his first year as a key forward we would probably be gushing that we found a guy who has put 31 goals on the board this year already. But he set such a high standard last year that is stuck in our mind.

He's playing as the "get out kick" big forward that he probably shouldn't be and I can't help wonder if he's carrying an injury But Paddy has been in and out as he develops and battles injury. IF Paddy comes back in I think Josh plays that more support role he is better suited to. That first year perhaps was just one out of the box and teams won't let him get clean runs at the ball like he did that year. If kicks 35 rolls a year that is pretty damn good.

Saint_J
Club Player

Bruce try's his guts out and gets nothing from the Flogs in green. I am surprised he hasn't close lined one of em.

older saint
SS Life Member

Bruce has taken the next step last year, which has meant he now gets the top defender , with Roo on the wing. The challenge is now to go the next level and beat the best defenders. His work rate is excellent and i am sure membery's form can be linked in part to the work Bruce has done. A lot of people focus on scoreboard but i think he is still ticking the boxes in KPI's which matter to the coaches.

In response to the initial title of this thread i think the lack of size in the back has seen Gilbert retain his spot . Ideally i know they want to play him as a mid which may see him keep his spot on the list next year.

Saint_J
Club Player

Gilbo played a decent game last night. Joey pulled some nice plays out as well.
I

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Deleted
Last edited by skeptic on Sun 31 Jul 2016 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

That mark taken off Bruce was a clean mark - it was right in front of us and there were no hands in the back.

Compare with Roo, in the same vicinity being shoved out of a contest with the ball some considerable distance away.

Our defence held up well relying on Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton as the "talls".

They only got found out on the few occasions a NM tall got an unimpeded run and jump at the contest.

When it was body on body our guys held their own (except when the AFL paid employees intervened)