Eli Templeton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Viking3
Club Player

Re: Eli Templeton

There is still a big difference between being good in the VFL and being able to make it at AFL level.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
lintonstreet
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:Eli's on top of the delist list and I'm pretty sure he knows it.

Never worked hard enough on his defensive game and had his ticket stamped months ago.
You're a comedian, right?
There's an old saying my friend, don't shoot the messenger.
My mail is that he is gone - now that might be he'll be put up for trade but I doubt it.
Richos persistence in playing him in the VFL when he's getting 30+ disposals and not even considering him for a senior spot should be a clue.
We also have an abundance of Eli types and to me it makes sense to shore up our stocks where we have a shortage.
Time will tell but your comment seems to show a complete lack of understanding about the reality of AFL football - some just don't make it.
I agree with offering him for trade but I wouldnt be delisting him. Only 2 seasons ago the kid was playing great footy at AFL level, had one of the worst broken arms you could imagine from playing the game. Now he is being condemned for his lack of defensive pressure - well if that was applied to every player on the list Montagna would have never played a game.

If I was Eli after the terrific season he has had at VFL level and Richo not elevating him, I would be asking for a trade in any event.

I thought Richo was meant to be a good developer and judge of players - if what you say is correct LS then he has NFI!
I understand your sentiments but think you're being too harsh on Richo.
He and his assistants I'm sure see what we often don't.
He's already proven he can develop young talent.
I think the issue is that they are seriously considering who has the ability to be a premiership player in a couple of years and when it comes to our smalls - some will simply miss the cut.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:For goodness sake! the kid is 20! give him a BREAK! unbelievable nonsense posted here at times!

This is a real world opinion site.
If you can handle the truth, unsubscribe and jump on a site where you can be cuddled and feel warm and fuzzy.
Players get cut for reasons often that are hard to fathom.
Eli IS on the outer and as I've said my mail is that he will not be at the Saints next year.
How this is unbelievable nonsense is just that unbelievable nonsense.
Think you meant " can 't handle". :wink:
'

lintonstreet
Club Player

saynta wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:For goodness sake! the kid is 20! give him a BREAK! unbelievable nonsense posted here at times!

This is a real world opinion site.
If you can handle the truth, unsubscribe and jump on a site where you can be cuddled and feel warm and fuzzy.
Players get cut for reasons often that are hard to fathom.
Eli IS on the outer and as I've said my mail is that he will not be at the Saints next year.
How this is unbelievable nonsense is just that unbelievable nonsense.
Think you meant " can 't handle". :wink:
'
You are correct, thanks

Saint wagga
Club Player

There is no way we will be delisting Eli...it seems everyone has a source to the club these days...so heck, I'll go on and say i have it on very good authority that we will not be looking at getting rid of Eli, categorically!!

In 2014, he was constantly mentioned by the coach in the same esteemed company of Luke Dunstan! He is serving an apprenticeship, building up a tank and frame for AFL footy and has shown enourmous potential. There is no cloak and daggers here, no skullduggery. He is still only just 21. He has some of the traits we exactly need a good wing/high half forward. In showed enoughin his first 5 games of afl footy that with confidence, he has good vision and is a good kick inside 50. If things go his way, and he continues to work hard at his craft and gets some luck on the injury front, he could be an excellent player for us and another draft bargain!! Have faith in Eli and Richo!

lintonstreet
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:There is no way we will be delisting Eli...it seems everyone has a source to the club these days...so heck, I'll go on and say i have it on very good authority that we will not be looking at getting rid of Eli, categorically!!

In 2014, he was constantly mentioned by the coach in the same esteemed company of Luke Dunstan! He is serving an apprenticeship, building up a tank and frame for AFL footy and has shown enourmous potential. There is no cloak and daggers here, no skullduggery. He is still only just 21. He has some of the traits we exactly need a good wing/high half forward. In showed enoughin his first 5 games of afl footy that with confidence, he has good vision and is a good kick inside 50. If things go his way, and he continues to work hard at his craft and gets some luck on the injury front, he could be an excellent player for us and another draft bargain!! Have faith in Eli and Richo!
I would love to be proven wrong - but as you say we both have our sources

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I believe Linton is only affirming that his mail is trustworthy and seems to have backed it with specific reasons why Templeton is going.

I hope if its true that other clubs recognise in him what we saw and acknowledge his efforts in the VFL this year.

If his is not contracted it is not a good sign for him if he is it would be silly not to trade him.

How do we know some other club isn't already in his ear.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Nice over reaction.
Just find it frustrating when idiots make stupid childish comments
Well I could explain that you totally mis interpreted my post, but you don't strike me as the type of person who would bother reading it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I just find it hard to believe. If players were punted at age 20 for being too 'soft' then 80% of them would be gone. Most players are considered 'soft' at that age because their bodies are not yet hardened enough.

Remember what Leigh Matthews said about Nigel Lappin. He thought he was too 'soft' to make it in his first few years. Lappin made him realise never to judge a player too harshly when they are still developing their bodies and confidence. By the end of his career he regarded Lappin as an all time great with a huge ticker. Matthews said it was one of his biggest lessons as a coach.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 10 Aug 2016 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Good one Con!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stkfc1
Club Player

Ain't going anywhere. You don't get rid of your most consistent player in the 2's. He's 21 FFS. He's got plenty of time and plenty of upside.

lintonstreet
Club Player

His papers are stamped.
Sorry to be the bearer of a bad premonition.
I hear what Con says about young players and agree in the main HOWEVER the clubs can get an early indication of attitide, desire and want.
From what I hear Mav has it, Minch has it, Gresh has it, Lonie has it (just needs his body to mature to deliver it), Sinclair may or may not have it, Eli from what I hear doesn't have it.
Time will tell and I'll be more than happy to fall on my sword if I am wrong.

My personal view - he's clearly 6th out of the above 6.

felix
Club Player

lintonstreet wrote:His papers are stamped.
I hear what Con says about young players and agree in the main HOWEVER the clubs can get an early indication of attitide, desire and want.
From what I hear Mav has it, Minch has it, Gresh has it, Lonie has it (just needs his body to mature to deliver it), Sinclair may or may not have it, Eli from what I hear doesn't have it.

Ok is this your personal view derived from some premonition or you have connections at the club
That have told you his papers are stamped ..just asking?

#gosaintas
Club Player

This is a surprising thread. I've watched plenty of Sandy football and Eli isn't soft, he works hard and is their best player. A perfect replacement for Joey. But, I have no connections at the club and am just going by what I see on gameday.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:His papers are stamped.

From what you're saying Billings doesn't have it either. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. What happens to him?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

A curio is that Billings and Eli are only separated at birth by a single day.
Billings is one day older. Both turn 21 next week.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:A curio is that Billings and Eli are only separated at birth by a single day.
Just like the Wakelins.

Playon
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
ace wrote:
shrodes wrote:
saynta wrote:If Eli doesn't replace Sinclair next week,something is seriously wrong with our selectors
Sinclair got a special chat with Richo after the game. Looked like 'chin up young fella' type of thing. Maybe he won't be dropped.
Sinclair got told 3 possessions another game does not earn.
Is Yoda coaching us?
Find this out you will

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:A curio is that Billings and Eli are only separated at birth by a single day.
Just like the Wakelins.
The Wakelins turn 21 next week? Image

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Just like the Wakelins.
The Wakelins turn 21 next week? Image
No, but their birthdays are one day apart.

Unlike Daniel Healy and Spider.

supersaints
Club Player

I've got a lot of faith in our player development, I would think they believe Eli's best place for development is a large amount of game time in the VFL midfield. Just an opinion but if they didn't rate him they would be playing someone else in his position.
It would appear AR uses the AFL forward pocket to also groom players mainly potential mids to get them used to the game AFL tempo and learn how to pressure, hence the belief some have that we recruit small forwards, most like Eli are being groomed to rotate through the middle.
I think Eli may be considered for Montys spot.
Seems to be complete waste playing him there all year if they don't think he will be good enough, we would have been better playing someone else in his position.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:We have to delist 3, and Wright seems to be back in favour. So that leaves Shaggy, Curren and Eli very much on the outer
What about Murdoch, Lee and Delaney?

lewdogs
Club Player

Eli would probably be leading the Sandy b and f. He's 21. No way in hell that he will be delisted. Remember that Dal Santo developed in the reserves for almost two years before cracking seniors. Eli will find his way, very confident of that.

The coach at Sandy often singles him out as an example of guts and courage so not sure where this he has no ticker argument comes from.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:Eli would probably be leading the Sandy b and f. He's 21. No way in hell that he will be delisted. Remember that Dal Santo developed in the reserves for almost two years before cracking seniors. Eli will find his way, very confident of that.

The coach at Sandy often singles him out as an example of guts and courage so not sure where this he has no ticker argument comes from.
Good comment

lintonstreet
Club Player

I'll say it again - his papers are stamped.

I too don't think he will be delisted as long as he has currency.

He will be traded at years end