Anybody else having doubts with trading in a star?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anybody else having doubts with trading in a star?

i'm also a bit reticent about bringing in a BIG name on BIGGER $
... rather see the imports be on potential (to become a big name) / fit into a team ethos 'n balance
across the whole playing group

i wouldn't be blowing smoke up 'their' arses either
... come coz u desire to win a flag with US ... not for the superannuation contribution

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If we have learned anything this year it is that we will need Carlisle badly in 2017. I would like to see Hurley in St. Kilda colours next season. He and his family were/are St. Kilda supporters so that should take care of your second consideration - that he should desire a flag with us.
For us and the Bulldogs, a flag means elevation to the footy Parthenon. A lot of very good footballers in the past earliest ambitions were to play in St. Kilda's first premiership - guys like North's The Gambling Gasometer and Collingwood's Billy Picken.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:Maybe best to go for a Marchbank/Steele type and of deal and keep pick 8 or 9 or whatever it is as well. If Hurley is interested in coming to the club.. great... lets work something out. Don't blow smoke up the guy's arse though. Same goes with chasing any 'star' players.
Might even be best to wait for the AFLPA salary negotiations to be completed so the club knows exactly where they stand with what they can do with the ENTIRE list moving forward. We have a lot of very good young players starting to come on. Lets not forget about them.
Keep aiming at being a genuinely strong senior team in 2018. If it comes earlier... great! But, I hope the club doesn't put blinkers on and change the strategy because of a decent back half of the 2016 season.
But what if our strategy was to build through savvy trades & the draft until we had significant TPP space & a superstar was available?

I think you'll find that the Pelchen & Bains blueprint called for exactly that. The only difference is that we were saving our $$$ for a free agent with the end of 2017 ear marked as a particularly rich free agent crop. Fyfe, Hurley, Dusty, Rockliff, etc included. The fly in the ointment is that Hurley may be available a year earlier than expected & Freo's delicious implosion has Fyfe potentially in the same boat. It means that trading picks comes into play.

I have no problems with trading two first round picks for Fyfe or this year's 1st & Longer for Hurley.

Don't forget that adding either of those two will support the development of our kids even more & make them better players in the long run.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Well we've obviously had a plan to try and take advantage of FA. The huge advantage of FA is it doesn't cost you a draft pick (I think that's right). You basically get a quality ready to go player who's had years developing in the system on your doorstep with a nice big bow. Fyfe is the very personification of what we hoping would be available with FA. But you have to lure them to your club when others want them so thats where having a war chest in our salary cap comes in.

The issue of how it affects your salary cap does come in. Many thought we over paid our high draft stars like Rooey and Ball to the detriment of only having an average bottom six. But maybe Fyfe is just flat out worth it as one player you would do it for - just one would be ok. We could also front end his contract while we aren't paying many others the huge money yet.

I think we have a strong enough core group and strong leadership to be able to integrate a big name, big salary player without huge disruption. If they know if will help our flag chances, I think they will realise that is just how the market place works in terms of getting a big name player to our club.

But if you have to trade then yes you need to weigh up really carefully what it costs you in draft picks. I would still like to see us hitting the draft with out top picks and taking a bit longer to go up. But now we've traded for Carlisle we basically have to go up.

JOM would be one guy I would still consider as trading picks. You don't have to say "at all costs". You can put a price on what you are willing to pay based on his risk of injury - say first rounder and steak knives. And if you can't get him at that, walk away. I would worry about playing a grand final with Steven as our centre piece midfielder. But Steven and JOM - now you are talking. Its a risk for sure but I'm starting to feel its the risk we need to take to boost our midfield which is something of a concern as we haven't used our high picks in that area. JOM potentially provides that real all rounder unstoppable quality mid that all the premiership teams have.

evo
Club Player

How are we going to beat teams in finals like GWS and GCS by recruiting their cast-offs like Marchbank and Steele.? We need some elite players, no point getting players just because they come cheap and fit our age or size demigraph.

Locals322
Club Player

Why would Fyfe come to St Kilda?
Seaford views? A list less promoising than Melbourne, Bulldogs? Financial security?

Ludicrous. He won't even tour the 'facilities'. O'meara with an injury concern who ends up being ok and turning into a star is our best bet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:How are we going to beat teams in finals like GWS and GCS by recruiting their cast-offs like Marchbank and Steele.? We need some elite players, no point getting players just because they come cheap and fit our age or size demigraph.
Not sure they are cast-offs.
Id be happy with either and Id be high fiving if we got both.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 19 Aug 2016 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
JOM would be one guy I would still consider as trading picks. You don't have to say "at all costs". You can put a price on what you are willing to pay based on his risk of injury - say first rounder and steak knives.
No way I'd be considering trading a first rounder for O'Meara. Nor a second rounder. He hasn't played for two years.
In his 'comeback' game in July, this :
"O'Meara down the tunnel before half time. Looks almost cooked in first game back. Favouring the knee a bit. Class player tho."

And this : "Jaeger O'Mearas AFL comeback may be pushed back 2 weeks. He came off just before half time in today's NEAFL game complaining of soreness".

That was July 16. Didn't appear the next two weeks and then this :

"Gold Coast midfield star Jaeger O'Meara will not be making his AFL comeback this year as he is to undergo season-ending knee surgery.
O'Meara hasn't played for the Suns since the final round of the 2014".

So........he hasn't played for two years and has to have more surgery. Anyone willing to part for a first round pick for this guy is a supreme optimist. Crazy would be another word for it. If we give up a first or second rounder for him it will be "not happy Jan" time. We've already recruited a mid-field 'star' who can't get on the park. One is enough.

evo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
evo wrote:How are we going to beat teams in finals like GWS and GCS by recruiting their cast-offs like Marchbank and Steele.? We need some elite players, no point getting players just because they come cheap and fit our age or size demigraph.

Neither appear to be in GWS's first 22.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Stanley is starting to look the goods...what did we get for him ?
They asked Richardson about trading Stanley. He said they never doubted his ability, but did doubt his body.

I think we swapped pick 21 for him and used it on Hugh Goddard from memory.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Sadly, I don't think it's even an option to not bring in good players. We don't have a choice.

After our Pelchen led strategy to pillage the Draft with top 20 picks - we unfortunately just didn't nut enough really good players. I was hoping for another bottom 4-6 finish this year which would have helped bring in some more young players who hopefully would be stars. But alas, we improved.

So although players are getting better, and our system and strategy is appearing reasonably sound - we're not going nowhere until we have a top echelon Top 6.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Neither appear to be in GWS's first 22.
It's called a wealth of choice. It's only Marchback's second season.

30 plus first round draft picks. We have just 3 or 4 including Roo. (I think).

Massive inequality gap.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.