POLL: Do you support the PRIDE game concept?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Do you support the PRIDE game concept?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 114

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: POLL: Do you support the PRIDE game concept?

BigMart wrote:I'd rather just go to the footy to watch footy....

Nothing against gay/lesbians at all, just don't think footy footy should become a political platform... It is what it is...

I even hate the fact that kids associate ANZAC spirit with a game of footy...
So by this logic, Nicky Winmar should have only been seen and not heard, thus never making the statement of lifting his guernsey? And Tommie Smith and John Carlos should never have raised their fists during the national anthem of their medal ceremony in the 1968 Games? There, of course, are countless other examples.

This isn't just about politics, BM, it's about human rights. IMO, the sporting field is a significant place to make statements for human rights, to keep the notion of the level playing field alive.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
BigMart wrote:I'd rather just go to the footy to watch footy....

Nothing against gay/lesbians at all, just don't think footy footy should become a political platform... It is what it is...

I even hate the fact that kids associate ANZAC spirit with a game of footy...
So by this logic, Nicky Winmar should have only been seen and not heard, thus never making the statement of lifting his guernsey? And Tommie Smith and John Carlos should never have raised their fists during the national anthem of their medal ceremony in the 1968 Games? There, of course, are countless other examples.

This isn't just about politics, BM, it's about human rights. IMO, the sporting field is a significant place to make statements for human rights, to keep the notion of the level playing field alive.
Another example of sport & politics was the banning of South Africa from the sporting arena for so many years. Got rid of apartheid & were welcomed back.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That was organic, not contrived and Nicky did not even understand the consequences/ramifications of his actions...

Political issues may arise from sport ... But to start a game under the banner of a political statement is just taking advantage of a commercial opportunity

The game is already about gambling more than anything else... Which is just sad

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gays and Lesbians are allowed at the footy as far as I know... And I'm not sure or don't know or don't care who a stranger is sitting next to me at a game is...

I am prejudice against other teams, so if they bag our players I'll tell them what I think... Otherwise I don't even notice them?!

I focus on the game... Thought everyone did?...

If it was about societal inclusion it is a social issue with a political stance... From the clubs

I think that is not what our game is for

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That was organic, not contrived and Nicky did not even understand the consequences/ramifications of his actions...

Political issues may arise from sport ... But to start a game under the banner of a political statement is just taking advantage of a commercial opportunity

The game is already about gambling more than anything else... Which is just sad
Gee whiz, so spreading the word of acceptance and love is a bad thing?

Sure, the club took a gamble with this and it PAID DIVIDENDS. A great success! Fantastic to see the club making some revenue out of something that isn't poker machines and is socially progressive, as well educational for the greater community at the same time.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gays and Lesbians are allowed at the footy as far as I know... And I'm not sure or don't know or don't care who a stranger is sitting next to me at a game is...

I am prejudice against other teams, so if they bag our players I'll tell them what I think... Otherwise I don't even notice them?!

If it was about societal inclusion it is a social issue with a political stance... From the clubs

plus 1

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
BigMart wrote:Gays and Lesbians are allowed at the footy as far as I know... And I'm not sure or don't know or don't care who a stranger is sitting next to me at a game is...

plus 1
Great to know you both aren't prejudice towards LGBTI people. But come on, all it was for was for one round, just for acknowledgement's sake and to get the message out there. I think there would have to be some gay players in the AFL. Otherwise, it just defies all odds. I find it strange we have still have yet to learn about an AFL player being openly gay. It wasn't that long ago that Jason Akermanis made some very homophobic comments, which would have been hurtful and discouraging to any LGBTI people involved in the AFL community. Quite a setback for any players who may have wanted to unburden themselves from the closet. For what I gather, the closet is a very damaging place for many LGBTI people. As you're probably aware, one of the main causes of youth suicide concerns LGBTI people not having the support they needed during the vulnerable stage of coming to terms with their sexuality. For this sort of thing, the Pride Game brings about a very positive message of acceptance and tolerance. Come on, let's not bemoan something like this. Also, the club has gained points on both a social and financial standpoint. It has been a WIN-WIN!!!

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

Sainternist wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

plus 1
Great to know you both aren't prejudice towards LGBTI people. But come on, all it was for was for one round, just for acknowledgement's sake and to get the message out there. I think there would have to be some gay players in the AFL. Otherwise, it just defies all odds. I find it strange we have still have yet to learn about an AFL player being openly gay. It wasn't that long ago that Jason Akermanis made some very homophobic comments, which would have been hurtful and discouraging to any LGBTI people involved in the AFL community. Quite a setback for any players who may have wanted to unburden themselves from the closet. For what I gather, the closet is a very damaging place for many LGBTI people. As you're probably aware, one of the main causes of youth suicide concerns LGBTI people not having the support they needed during the vulnerable stage of coming to terms with their sexuality. For this sort of thing, the Pride Game brings about a very positive message of acceptance and tolerance. Come on, let's not bemoan something like this. Also, the club has gained points on both a social and financial standpoint. It has been a WIN-WIN!!!
good call, mate! the pride concept is flowering great for footy! ffs, anything that encourages more musos' to come along is flowering great for footy!!! 8-)

and you also make a flowering good point about how damaging the closet can be mate! just look how screwed up tom flowering cruise is, ffs.

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

Sainternist wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

plus 1
good call, mate! the pride concept is flowering great for footy! ffs, anything that encourages more musos' to come along, is flowering great for footy!!! 8-)

and you also make a flowering good point about how damaging the closet can be mate! just look how screwed up tom flowering cruise is, ffs.

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.