trade targets next two years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

trade targets next two years

hey guys its been a while but i have been thinking about players we could use gojbg forward and some extra for depth as well.

marchbank: 3rd tall defender
steele: midfield depth
Holkin-Elliott: quick winger/half forward
tom lamb: utility can play back,mid or forward

weller half forward/mid
lennon half forward

the reason i think we should these players is we can get them at a good price and not sell the farm for jaeger or fyfe who havent had the best two years with injuries. obviously wont get all of them but if we put marchbank weller and hoskin-Elliott as priorities for needa and class. lennon steele and lamb could be great players but haven't had enough operunity.

thoughts

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: trade targets next two years

I agree in theory.

Recently the club has been good at trading in quality players while at worst breaking even in return. Bruce, Membrey, Roberton, Savage, Weller, Hickey and Longer are proof of that. Hopefully we can add Freeman to that list in time.

Carlisle is the only big name trade we've made.

Having said that, those players are very good, but they won't make up the core of a premiership team. We need top end talent. You either need to draft very well to get that, or trade hard.

We can fill gaps with affordable players, but given our drafting form of 2009-11, we still need to trade in some high quality, high price talent.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

I'm unsure on Lennon. Despite injuries, has shown glimpses but hasn't come on.

Who is our 2nd tal kpd? Goddard? given he'll miss half a season and is probably a couple of pre-seasons away from getting bulk, he's our 3rd tall kpd imo. Marchbank 2nd kpd? Talk about Carlton interest in Tomlinson, perhaps he is worth a shot as 2nd kpd?

Steele: Love him

Tom Mitchell? Still available but no links to the Saints...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cant we just produce our own players?

Wombat15
Club Player

on the original post wouldn't mind getting Tom Lamb, Jack Steele and Caleb Marchbank. there are rumors about Lamb wanting to come back to Victoria. I have a feeling Lennon may go up to GC and i think Freo will lock in Weller in their midfield trio with Fyfe and Neale.

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

Wombat15 wrote:on the original post wouldn't mind getting Tom Lamb, Jack Steele and Caleb Marchbank. there are rumors about Lamb wanting to come back to Victoria. I have a feeling Lennon may go up to GC and i think Freo will lock in Weller in their midfield trio with Fyfe and Neale.
what about hoskin Elliott? i think if we package our first pick from next year with a second pick this year and a couple 3rd rounder we could have steel elliot and marchbank.

i think it would be highly hypocritical if freo dont trade him if he says he wants to move to melbourne with his family. (his parents move to melb after he got drafted) then we can trade a future first rounder next year and that will get it done.

lennon we could get for a steal if he doesn't play much next year we ciuld trade a third rounder for him.worth i think. he is best mates with billings and i remember watching he and bilings play in the u18's and they ripped to shreds so i think a 3rd roubd pick is worth the risk. only an opinion

resaintlee
Club Player

I thought we traded our 2016 second round pick last year?

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

sorry i meant next year.

Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Cant we just produce our own players?
You bet, but I think we need to recruit at least one A grade midfielder, and then a possible A grader, we already have enough soldiers. If we manage to get an A grader the pecking order changes and our midfield will look a lot better. We also have to consider the age profile of our current list and when the window of opportunity arises, we need high end talent in our midfield, can we afford to wait another 2 years and then recruit an 18 year old or 2 to solve our problems? Would we need to go through another rebuild ala Melbourne waiting on kids to develop at some stage?

Trade for midfielders and develop our own back line, we already have a back line that is showing a lot of promise

The_President
Club Player

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:hey guys its been a while but i have been thinking about players we could use gojbg forward and some extra for depth as well.

marchbank: 3rd tall defender
steele: midfield depth
Holkin-Elliott: quick winger/half forward
tom lamb: utility can play back,mid or forward

weller half forward/mid
lennon half forward

the reason i think we should these players is we can get them at a good price and not sell the farm for jaeger or fyfe who havent had the best two years with injuries. obviously wont get all of them but if we put marchbank weller and hoskin-Elliott as priorities for needa and class. lennon steele and lamb could be great players but haven't had enough operunity.

thoughts
A third tall defender is probably the last thing we need

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Any love for Cam Ellis-Yoleman?

Fringe at Crows due to their strong mid-field but excelling in the SANFL this year.

Serviceable so far v Eagles tonight

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

regards to a grade mids acres and freeman could be that we dont know. I wouldn't mind trying to get paul ahern from gws. we can develop a mid to be a grade. i think weller ans steele could be.

and i think a third tall is worth its weight in gold. someone who intercept marks and reads the play. Dempster wont be here forever. marchbank could be our corey enright or jeremy mcgovern. gives us plenty of flexability.
and yes we will still develop we are just speeding it up 2 years get 20 year olds instead of 18yo.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Look what the WCE have done with youngsters this year.

They got Sheed(y) from GWS and developed their own in Barrass(i)

It's a real throwback to the past and is working well for them

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

lenny20 [from r/afl wrote:
B: Jack Ramsay - Jack Frost - Jack Hombsch
HB: Jack Newnes - Jack(son) Trengrove - Jack Martin
C: Jack Steven - Kieran Jack - Jack Crisp
HF: Jack Watts - Jack Gunston - Jack Macrae
F: Jack Billings - Jack Riewoldt - Jack Darling
R: Jack Fitzpatrick - Jack Ziebell - Jack Viney
Int: Jack Steele - Jack Redden - Jack [Sinclair] – Jack [Lonie]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

News -one source says Steele wants to come to Saints.
Thoughts?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:News -one source says Steele wants to come to Saints.
Thoughts?
A big Yes from me.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I didn't want to start a new thread on Steele.
Just found out Brett Anderson on SEN said Steele will be a Saint next year. But Tiges and another club in the mix.
Just wild speculation, unless Anderson has some inside knowledge. Anyways... i suppose he could be good, but only 10 games this year at GWS? Is he really any good?
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sun 28 Aug 2016 1:51am, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Darth Vader
Club Player

If we get Lennon could then have Lennon & McCartin.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:If we get Lennon could then have Lennon & McCartin.
Jack Steven is already a huge Starr

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If tony74 is reading this forum, I would be interested in finding out what the club's official drafting/trade strategy is for the next couple of years. I know that it was to get 7 top 20 picks in two drafts, but now it is pretty obvious that we have finished our 3 year initial rebuild and now it is about hitting free agency to get what we need to be a top 4 contender in 2019 - think we'll finish just outside the 8 and continuing to build A and B+ depth on the list in 2017-18 (no finals in 2018 due to Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert all over 30 and retiring during this period) - 2019 is when we should be seriously contending for another Grand Final appearance.
There were rumours about Hurley and there are currently more about JOM, but I think we need to get Fyfe or somebody similar to seriously challenge.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread on Steele.
Just found out Brett Anderson on SEN said Steele will be a Saint next year. But Tiges and another club in the mix.
Just wild speculation, unless Anderson has some inside knowledge. Anyways... i suppose he could be good, but only 10 games this year at GWS? Is he really any good?
Don't know how good he is but it would be extremely hard to break into that GWS midfield.
I really rate Toby Greene and he is wasted in the forward line and he can't crack their midfield although he is averaging 20+ and a couple of goals. He would be a top liner in another clubs midfield.
As for Steele, who knows. If we get him, I hope he is as good as the hype on here.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:If tony74 is reading this forum, I would be interested in finding out what the club's official drafting/trade strategy is for the next couple of years. I know that it was to get 7 top 20 picks in two drafts, but now it is pretty obvious that we have finished our 3 year initial rebuild and now it is about hitting free agency to get what we need to be a top 4 contender in 2019 - think we'll finish just outside the 8 and continuing to build A and B+ depth on the list in 2017-18 (no finals in 2018 due to Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert all over 30 and retiring during this period) - 2019 is when we should be seriously contending for another Grand Final appearance.
There were rumours about Hurley and there are currently more about JOM, but I think we need to get Fyfe or somebody similar to seriously challenge.
Why would he blurt that on a fan forum?

Its the best available payer!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!