Lachie Weller to us?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Lachie Weller to us?

WW, is this a reply to jaxon stating something similar in the other thread? Do you really know or is this thread a 'honey pot' to illicit a response from jaxon to confirm/deny Weller is a chance to come to us? Have you got on your old detective hat?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The old pork pie hat and brown suit are on, MG. This is part of the initial discussion only. It will, if it was to proceed, involve the usual tooting and froing that something complex involves. I know we are keen on Marchbank, but expecting to get all three of him, LW and Jack Steele seems improbable at best. We'd have to give up too much, and we're not flush for picks. MW's influence on his brother shouldn't be underestimated. The Giants are not keen on Longer, but Lonie and Sinclair have created some interest from them. Pick 10, Lonie and Longer and maybe a future later round pick in the mix and swaps of same may get it done. As Yabby used to scream, "Are you prepared to pay the price?" Any two of the above would do me.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
skeptic wrote:
White Winmar wrote:May involve a swap of draft picks. I'd like to think it was possible. Would be just what we need and would be in line with what I've heard about Longer.
I feel like this particular part of the sentence has escaped notice
Didn't he turn up to a preseason fatter than Lance Whitnall?
Indeed, Pres. His ongoing battles with injury have seen him drop down the order. At this stage of his career he should be more advanced. IMHO, he won't deliver on the promise a pick 8 should. The contract is a smoke screen. It says,"we really value this guy" , "ruckmen take Longer(groan) to develop " blah, blah, blah. Trade him while you have the chance to get something for him. Another year like this one and he'll be worth nothing at the trade table. As for his game yesterday, did someone say he was in our best? What game were they watching?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:The old pork pie hat and brown suit are on, MG. This is part of the initial discussion only. It will, if it was to proceed, involve the usual tooting and froing that something complex involves. I know we are keen on Marchbank, but expecting to get all three of him, LW and Jack Steele seems improbable at best. We'd have to give up too much, and we're not flush for picks. MW's influence on his brother shouldn't be underestimated. The Giants are not keen on Longer, but Lonie and Sinclair have created some interest from them. Pick 10, Lonie and Longer and maybe a future later round pick in the mix and swaps of same may get it done. As Yabby used to scream, "Are you prepared to pay the price?" Any two of the above would do me.
Good stuff WW. Your info also seems plausible. Move on the surplus & fill needs. I like it. For mine id prioritise Steele, Marchbank & Weller, in that order. Pick 10, Longer & Lonie would be close to enough to get the deal done IMO.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Jason Holmes re-signing adds further weight to Billy being shopped!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

That's the likely scenario. For me Marchbank would be the priority, but the influence of SOS on him may see Carlscum end up with him. The GWS claims he is part of their future, and of course they'd say that. I think he's a gun and would come relatively cheaply in terms of salary. We have to remember he was pick 6 in his draft, so GWS will use that as leverage. He wants out. As does Steele.

The arguments on here that Steele, Marchbank and Steele are "casts off who can't get a game" is nonsense. GWS has more than twenty first round draftees on its list. How would you like to be in that competition for a spot? These guys have preseasons under their belts and are ready to go. Look at what Hawthorn, Sydney and the hillbillies have done with recycled players. It's the new rebuild model. Mine what's on offer at other clubs. It overcomes being disadvantaged when it comes to a lack of early picks. Who's won the last five flags? That's right. Hillbillies, swines and dorks. I think there's something in that for all of us, don't you?

resaintlee
Club Player

Billy Longer was first named best player in the final against port. Surely he should be a keeper?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Billy Longer was first named best player in the final against port. Surely he should be a keeper?
Better than Tom Lee? Better than Saunders, Templeton, Fisscher, even Pierce? They must be kidding. Remind me of his stats? Maybe his manager supplied the best players' list. He was very average at best. If that's what he produces at VFL level, god help us when he plays against the big boys of the AFL.

Legendary
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:If Longer is involved, could this be considered another chapter in the legendary Devonport-to-Carlton trade?
Surely the greatest trade in history could not get any better...?!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WW is dropping some very interesting stuff! Looks like things are happening.

Legendary
Club Player

Legendary wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:If Longer is involved, could this be considered another chapter in the legendary Devonport-to-Carlton trade?
Just to remind everyone

We traded Craig Devonport to Carlton for Pick 25, which we used to select Barry Hall. We then traded Barry Hall to Sydney for Pick 13, which we used to select Nick Dal Santo. We then traded Nick Dal Santo to the Kangaroos for Pick 25, which we bundled with Pick 41 to trade for Billy Longer and Pick 48, which we then used to trade for Josh Bruce.

So Craig Devonport could have single-handedly delivered us Barry Hall, Nick Dal Santo, Billy Longer, Josh Bruce and Lachie Weller... :shock:

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The moment Kenny Sheldon told Craig Davenport about the trade domino effect he was going to cause for the Saints over the next 20 years:

El Wood
Club Player

We traded Craig Devonport to Carlton for Pick 25

Just to be correct. We traded him for pick 19. Barry Hall wore no 25.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
Legendary wrote:
Just to remind everyone

We traded Craig Devonport to Carlton for Pick 19, which we used to select Barry Hall. We then traded Barry Hall to Sydney for Pick 13, which we used to select Nick Dal Santo. We then traded Nick Dal Santo to the Kangaroos for Pick 25, which we bundled with Pick 41 to trade for Billy Longer and Pick 48, which we then used to trade for Josh Bruce.

So Craig Devonport could have single-handedly delivered us Barry Hall, Nick Dal Santo, Billy Longer, Josh Bruce and Lachie Weller... :shock:
So close!!!!

I would say that Josh Bruce needs to be left out of the deal as we traded 41 for 48, so we could have taken Bruce as 41 if the deal had not been done - so essentially:

We traded Craig Devonport to Carlton for Pick 25, which we used to select Barry Hall. We then traded Barry Hall to Sydney for Pick 13, which we used to select Nick Dal Santo. We then traded Nick Dal Santo to the Kangaroos for Pick 25 [which we bundled with Pick 41 and got pick 48 in return which we selected Josh Bruce], we used pick 25 to trade for Billy Longer.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Steele is a lock. Get on board.

carn_sainter
Club Player

I don't watch freo much...only when they lpayed us.

Can someone describe Lachie Weller a little bit? Wingman? Nice boot? Fast? Is he a better version of someone we already have or a different sort altogether? Would be great to have a pair of brothers playing for us!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Steele is a lock. Get on board.
I'm on board

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Damien Barrett and Con concurring within hours of eachother. Hmmmm?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:That's the likely scenario. For me Marchbank would be the priority, but the influence of SOS on him may see Carlscum end up with him. The GWS claims he is part of their future, and of course they'd say that. I think he's a gun and would come relatively cheaply in terms of salary. We have to remember he was pick 6 in his draft, so GWS will use that as leverage. He wants out. As does Steele.

The arguments on here that Steele, Marchbank and Steele are "casts off who can't get a game" is nonsense. GWS has more than twenty first round draftees on its list. How would you like to be in that competition for a spot? These guys have preseasons under their belts and are ready to go. Look at what Hawthorn, Sydney and the hillbillies have done with recycled players. It's the new rebuild model. Mine what's on offer at other clubs. It overcomes being disadvantaged when it comes to a lack of early picks. Who's won the last five flags? That's right. Hillbillies, swines and dorks. I think there's something in that for all of us, don't you?
Brilliant stuff thanks WW - hopefully it comes to fruition!

Can I just ask if we dont get Marchbank is there a contingency to look at an older short term key defender eg Nathan Brown?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:WW is dropping some very interesting stuff! Looks like things are happening.

I'm loving "old pork pie hat and brown suit" analogy. He's probably sleeping in his car as well.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:I don't watch freo much...only when they lpayed us.

Can someone describe Lachie Weller a little bit? Wingman? Nice boot? Fast? Is he a better version of someone we already have or a different sort altogether? Would be great to have a pair of brothers playing for us!
I don't understand the fuss to be honest.

I think we overrate Mav on here, and I think we're clearly overrate his brother. Seems like just an average player for mine with no glaring tools in the bag.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The addition of Steele and an established line-breaking mid (like Hill for instance) would catapult us deep into the finals next year - by keeping the ball forward of centre, yielding more entries into our potent forward line (and allowing less entries into our backline).
(probably can't happen, though).

We need to concentrate on improving our midfield -- and getting the balance right -- and for that we need more outside run. Hope we don't lose sight of this.

Richter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
The_President wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Been told that Lachie already spends a bit of time in Melboune and is very close mates with our HG.

In the article that followed Mav through a week it said that HG and LW are the best of mates
Never saw that but heard it from someone who would know first hand.
https://twitter.com/hughgoddard23?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor

Link is to Hugh's twitter account. Check out his picture - who is that in a purple shirt next to him?

Also here... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-30/g ... ubs-circle

An article from afl.com.au on 'Plugger' (!) McCartin, pre-draft. Look at the picture at the bottom of the page. Who is that sitting in between Hugh and Paddy?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Legendary
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote: I don't understand the fuss to be honest.

I think we overrate Mav on here, and I think we're clearly overrate his brother. Seems like just an average player for mine with no glaring tools in the bag.
Overrate Mav?

He finished 7th in the Best & Fairest.

Pies game? Or the Cats game where he was clearly in our best 3 or 4 against the top of the ladder side?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:WW is dropping some very interesting stuff! Looks like things are happening.

I'm loving "old pork pie hat and brown suit" analogy. He's probably sleeping in his car as well.
Enjoying his commentary.