Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Jaxons come on down

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo might be willing to let go of Weller if they are set on getting Sam Petrevski-Seton with pick 3 - (a similar type of player to Weller).

They can then use our pick 10 and whatever they get for Mayne/Ballantyne/Clarke to get both Rory Lobbe and McCarthy from GWS and maybe another kid with a pick in the 20s.

Wouldnt be a bad result for them really.

Source:
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/afl-s ... ogtyp.html
Not so sure they will land Lobb
But they also need currency for B. Hill.. (didnt realise he is only 23)

hawthorn would be eyeing pick 10 to bundle up for Omeara...
So, Fero basically giving Weller for Hill

Seems plausible to me
Yeah seems plausible. Leaves Freo with a horrendous fwd line still. Saints would want a bit of pepper back.
Maybe we give off 10 plus Longer and somehow end up with Steele and Weller. Seems about right.
Id say they will try to get Mcarthy for a little less than pick 10.. after a year out

Either way.. the thing that makes Weller plausible is that they need picks as they really want to keep pick 3 for local prodigy SPS and also bring in Mcarthy and Hill
They wont get the required picks out of thin air... weller may be the sacrificial lamb... and we would likely be happy to pay pick 10 for him and he would almost certainly be happy to join his brother
Last edited by SuperDuper on Sun 04 Sep 2016 9:27pm, edited 3 times in total.

SMS
Club Player

To be clear I do not want jack.
Membrey and McCartin will BOTH be better players by 2018. Not to meantion Bruce is phenomenol prescence and team player.
Love our mix do not need to pay for another tall forward
i doubt we'd do it. Hope we are still structuring for 2019 not 2017.

RODOS
Club Player

I started to write out something defending my intel, then I realised, **** bigmart :)

(can't warn me, did not swear :) )

ace
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Families. So two!
Has to be Reiwoldts and Wellers

damn how do we get Steele?

Imagine J Reiwoldt LWeller and Steele
BUT Would have to lose Longer, Eli and pick 10 I would assume.
You start off with a name of Loseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili then you change it to Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin then you translate that into английский (Angliyskiy) and you get Steele.
Last edited by ace on Sun 04 Sep 2016 10:00pm, edited 3 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SMS
Club Player

The_President wrote:Some of the posters on here are crazy.

Giving up a top 10 pick for two blokes who can't get a game at GWS - Maybe they are good and are just being held out of the side from other first round picks... But THEY ARENT GETTING A GAME. So why would you want to give up a top 10 pick for them?

One thing we have an abundance of is medium/tall defenders (some are actually really decent players) but as soon as a mediocre medium defender wants out, all of a sudden he is a must have.

People losing their minds and saying we HAVE to get Jaeger or we HAVE to pay Fyfe $2 million a year.

It's just crazy.

We have a young core who just managed to finish the season in 9th place.
They all seem to get along pretty well too, which is massive.

What do you think happens to the group dynamic of we go out and pay huge money to get someone in, and start paying him a lot more than a 3x best and fairest winner?

The way to build a winning list is to build a winning culture. 22 blokes who will go out and die for each other every week is better than a couple of overpaid stars.

Wait for them to come to us for less. Don't pay anyone $1 million a season anymore, it's just crazy and will only cause tension down the road
Great post. Agree 100%
I think we should keep going the draft and pick up medium 400-600k guns like carlisle, steele etc when they present without paying overs. I think pick 10 could be a gun many great vic mids id love.
The chemistry atm with the group maybe the closest weve ever seen. Acres gresham mcartin goddard mckenzie dunstan all have shown amazing signs. Build the team around membrey bruce mcartin and they will come to us. Like hawks.
Longer for Weller - tick
Steele for next years second round - tick
Thats all Id be doing and picking up one of those vic mids with 10.
Believe in Coughlan, Goddard and Lee. All 3 have shown something. We have fisher dempster carlisle in 2017 lets not play our cards yet.
2017 Draft we'll knowna lot more anout what we need to get top 4.
Right now keep the nucleus strong.
Talk of letting go lonie or sinclair is silly. Both have elite skills, the future forward pockets.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Who are these three guys ?

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Family ?

barneyboyz
Club Player

Giving up a top 10 pick for two blokes who can't get a game at GWS - Maybe they are good and are just being held out of the side from other first round picks... But THEY ARENT GETTING A GAME. So why would you want to give up a top 10 pick for them?

One thing we have an abundance of is medium/tall defenders (some are actually really decent players) but as soon as a mediocre medium defender wants out, all of a sudden he is a must have.

People losing their minds and saying we HAVE to get Jaeger or we HAVE to pay Fyfe $2 million a year.

It's just crazy.

What do you think happens to the group dynamic of we go out and pay huge money to get someone in, and start paying him a lot more than a 3x best and fairest winner?

The way to build a winning list is to build a winning culture. 22 blokes who will go out and die for each other every week is better than a couple of overpaid stars.

Wait for them to come to us for less. Don't pay anyone $1 million a season anymore, it's just crazy and will only cause tension down the road
What we effectively have with GWS though, is potentially a side similar to say, the 1984 Hawks and Bombers merging...or 2009 Saints and Geelong merging. There would be plenty of grand finals players not getting a game in that side. And so we have the GWS, we can't forget what has been gifted into this side and they can't all get a gig.

FWIW, I don't think JOM is worth the trouble for us, Hawks or Geelong maybe...but we aint them atm. $1M for Fyfe? now were talking

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
ace
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:

It's just crazy.

What we effectively have with GWS though, is potentially a side similar to say, the 1984 Hawks and Bombers merging...or 2009 Saints and Geelong merging. There would be plenty of grand finals players not getting a game in that side. And so we have the GWS, we can't forget what has been gifted into this side and they can't all get a gig.

FWIW, I don't think JOM is worth the trouble for us, Hawks or Geelong maybe...but we aint them atm. $1M for Fyfe? now were talking
Lyon can not let Fyfe leave Freo.
The fans would revolt.
Lyon would lose his job shortly after.
Imagine if St Kilda had let Riewoldt go at a similar age.
It just can't happen.

barneyboyz
Club Player

ace wrote:
barneyboyz wrote:

It's just crazy.

Lyon can not let Fyfe leave Freo.
The fans would revolt.
Lyon would lose his job shortly after.
Imagine if St Kilda had let Riewoldt go at a similar age.
It just can't happen.
It is the 'silly season', but lots of things have changed since Nick was that age. Also $1m+ players haven't done Sydney any harm...or Geelong, but a million dollar payment needs a million dollar player of course

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Freebird
Club Player

Saints let Lockett go

Hawks admit they made a mistake not drafting Selwood because of injuries and since then have traded for many players under injury cloud and will more than likely trade O'Meara and win another flag.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:

It's just crazy.

Can find some steals that leave top clubs for more opportunity.
we already secured membrey, bruce, weller. imagine if the Hawks had kept josh kennedy. the trick is getting them for as cheap an option as possible, but there's some gold to be mined in other clubs refuse. and then there's the refuse.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
SMS wrote:Families. So two!
Has to be Reiwoldts and Wellers

damn how do we get Steele?

Imagine J Reiwoldt LWeller and Steele
BUT Would have to lose Longer, Eli and pick 10 I would assume.
You start off with a name of Loseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili then you change it to Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin then you translate that into английский (Angliyskiy) and you get Steele.
You know too much. You know too mmmmmmuuuuuuuuucccccccchhhhhh!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:Bluthy - would have been very keen to get Randy "Macho Man" Savage, if his manager "The Lovely Elizabeth" also came across as an assistant coach. Amongst my favourites of the early WWF ( as they then were ) days. Alas both of them no longer with us.
So George, does that mean we make a play for Macho Man's brother Leaping Lanny Poffo as well?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FAMILIES

Yes Weller make sense as we can use his type.

Jack Riewoldt makes no sense as we have already banished Roo to the wing so that Paddy, Membrey and Briue can all play in the forward line as all 4 tallish marking targets cannot fit into the one forward line at once.

JR is not as mobile as Roo, and so unless you have visions of him suddenly becoming a key defender it would look to just not be a good acquisition.

So what other family connection would make sense?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stkmo
Club Player

BJ? :shock:

thequarry
Club Player

...Surely it's in the wording for those who think it's JRoo/BJ:
jaxons wrote:Before anyone gets too excited, I will preface this by saying as I have said before, lots of chatter takes place and many things don't come to fruition.
However talks are strong that could very well see families come together at the Saints.
You can fill in the blanks and I won't confirm or deny anything.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

According to Damo on AFL.com.au Steele is a lock to the Saints.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Are people seriously saying they'd prefer Membrey to Jack Reiwoldt??

Seriously?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Are people seriously saying they'd prefer Membrey to Jack Reiwoldt??

Seriously?
It's not a like for like comparison unless we're getting Jack for free and paying him below market value...

Membrey is better for us in comparison to what it would cost us to both get and pay Jack

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Johnny Member wrote:Are people seriously saying they'd prefer Membrey to Jack Reiwoldt??

Seriously?
Jack Riewoldt over Bruce, probably - but Membrey adds another dimension and is good for balance.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Who are these three guys ?

I don't know who will end up being the best footballer out of those three but I know who would pull the most birds.

No contest really. :D

DJKCR
Club Player

saynta wrote:

I don't know who will end up being the best footballer out of those three but I know who would pull the most birds.

Paddy is doing okay for himself in that department.

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

Seriously?
Jack Riewoldt over Bruce, probably - but Membrey adds another dimension and is good for balance.
I'd replace Membrey with Riewoldt in an absolute heartbeat!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Who are those "Bird Pullers", apart from Paddy ?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.