Hawthorn trades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.rod
Club Player

Hawthorn trades

With hawthorn bundled out they will obviously review their list. They maybe interested in Longer as Mcevoy is and always was a plodder. Who would we be interested in? Hartung, Obrien, Sicily Obrien,Schoenmakers, Orourke, langford, Howe, Burton, Spanger, Brand and Jimmy"s brother Zac. 2 players for Longer but which 2? Maybe a straight swap for Bruest? What do ya reckon? We can keep pick ten then as well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hawthorn trades

Out of that lot, no one except Bruest and they would not let him go.

With the list we have built what we really need now are quality players in order to make a real difference.

Our midfield does not bat deep enough and so maybe a good mid of the right type and arguably another key defender. The Hawks do not have spares of either type.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer to trade for picks, not average players.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I could see us going after Hartung if the rumours of him not being happy are true - we were right into at the draft apparently. With his speed I think Richo would love his ability to pressure. Personally he's not the sort I'd like as his disposal is average. But maybe now Clarkson will do a real refresh of the team - even though he's already been changing the team a fair bit - and Billy will get more of a go - he played last night.

Freebird
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:I'd prefer to trade for picks, not average players.

Agree..Hawks have been so good because they don't trade for fringe players they trade for A grade players or good players to fill a weakness eg McEvoy/Frawley.

We have a history of trading for fringe players that will not strengthen our team and in some cases weaken it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I could see us going after Hartung if the rumours of him not being happy are true - we were right into at the draft apparently. With his speed I think Richo would love his ability to pressure. Personally he's not the sort I'd like as his disposal is average. But maybe now Clarkson will do a real refresh of the team - even though he's already been changing the team a fair bit - and Billy will get more of a go - he played last night.
He put in a piss poor performance last night when everything was on the line, the season and his career at the hawks included.

So, no thanks.

citywest

st.rod wrote:With hawthorn bundled out they will obviously review their list. They maybe interested in Longer as Mcevoy is and always was a plodder. Who would we be interested in? Hartung, Obrien, Sicily Obrien,Schoenmakers, Orourke, langford, Howe, Burton, Spanger, Brand and Jimmy"s brother Zac. 2 players for Longer but which 2? Maybe a straight swap for Bruest? What do ya reckon? We can keep pick ten then as well.
You are calling McEvoy a plodder? You have no idea St.Rod........none.

lewdogs
Club Player

If Hawks were into Longer then I'd try to get involved in that Freo deal for Hill and pick up Longer. Maybe Billy and pur 3rd rounder?

Longer can actually win taps which is something Big Boy isn't so good at. Unfortunately he has never taken a contested mark in his life but let's keep that quiet.

st.rod
Club Player

Okay CW perhaps that was probably a bit harsh, McEvoy certainly gives his best. Hickey gone past him now though.

#gosaintas
Club Player

st.rod wrote:With hawthorn bundled out they will obviously review their list. They maybe interested in Longer as Mcevoy is and always was a plodder. Who would we be interested in? Hartung, Obrien, Sicily Obrien,Schoenmakers, Orourke, langford, Howe, Burton, Spanger, Brand and Jimmy"s brother Zac. 2 players for Longer but which 2? Maybe a straight swap for Bruest? What do ya reckon? We can keep pick ten then as well.

Would be really want any of those players? Hartung is crap. No thanks to all of them.

lewdogs
Club Player

lewdogs wrote:If Hawks were into Longer then I'd try to get involved in that Freo deal for Hill and pick up Weller. Maybe Billy and pur 3rd rounder?

Longer can actually win taps which is something Big Boy isn't so good at. Unfortunately he has never taken a contested mark in his life but let's keep that quiet.
Oops

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hawks will be tied up trading for O'Meara and Mitchell. Can't see why they'd be interested in Longer when McEvoy is only 27 as well.

ace
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:If Hawks were into Longer then I'd try to get involved in that Freo deal for Hill and pick up Longer. Maybe Billy and pur 3rd rounder?

I saw BigBoy get a tap a few years ago when his opponent fell over at a boundary throw in.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I don't understand why Hawks wanted McEvoy. He is just a dinosaur, maybe they think a big body fits their game plan but I'm glad we let him go.
We did well off that trade!

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I look at Hartung and think he'd be no better than Eli or Sinclair if he was playing for us. Its a no thanks from me

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Junior
Club Player

Just wondering in what universe is Longer a better player than McEvoy?

Hawthorn were going for Longer until we offered them McEvoy, so they clearly thought he was better.

Longer has one thing going for him that I love his aggression at ground level, but he struggles to take a mark and can't play forward.

McEvoy is a much better all rounded player.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

lewdogs wrote:If Hawks were into Longer then I'd try to get involved in that Freo deal for Hill and pick up Longer. Maybe Billy and pur 3rd rounder?

Did someone say Weller? :lol:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Just wondering in what universe is Longer a better player than McEvoy?

Hawthorn were going for Longer until we offered them McEvoy, so they clearly thought he was better.

Longer has one thing going for him that I love his aggression at ground level, but he struggles to take a mark and can't play forward.

Have you looked at their tapwork? Longer is far superior.

Longer is a more aggressive player.

Big Ben has it all over Longer when it comes to marking, but is SLOW and so that means he often plays a kick behind the ball as he cannot keep up with the play like for example Hickey does very well at.

Big Ben would have been a champ of the game back in the days of "Pup" Sarau, but does not have enough pace that big men need to have today to keep up with the play.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy slaughtered Billy in running at StK, Ben is an aerobic beast for a ruckman and is very mobile (not agile)

Looking slow and being slow are two different things. Acres is a prime example. Longer is a woeful runner, and really needs to actually get a kick.

Jeff Saru was a mobile 6'3" ruckman who played more like a ruck rover/mid and regularly got 20 possesions.

Say it again,
Tom improved markedly in 2016
But 13 possessions, 3 marks, 28 hit outs
Are not amazing as some would suggest... But very acceptable
3 marks is the area I'd like to see jump to 4/5
He is a rung below Goldstein, Jacobs, Gawn, Natinui
He is probably rated with Mumford, Martin
Better than Grundy, Hampson, Smith, Kruzer, Roughead, Cegler

Longer is aggressive... But atm is almost useless... A player who cannot get a kick is a liability

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:McEvoy slaughtered Billy in running at StK, Ben is an aerobic beast for a ruckman and is very mobile (not agile)
If you read my post again I was comparing Ben to Hickey re running.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Jeff Saru was a mobile 6'3" ruckman who played more like a ruck rover/mid and regularly got 20 possesions.
I am not sure how many games you saw Pup play but he was a fantastic mark and did not play like a ruck rover and certainly not like at all like a mid. He was a mean bastard, very physical and with a good leap who yes won a fair bit of ball as he was excellent at reading the play.

Ruckman back then also played in one of three positions.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Junior wrote:Just wondering in what universe is Longer a better player than McEvoy?

Gives away a lot of free kicks with that aggression too, does Bill

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: