Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Dempster

So Sean is out of contract. I find it interesting that the club hasn't signed up him up yet for another year. Is it a case of the club is seeing what it can land in terms of big defenders before making a decision on Demps - same as its doing with Fish - and he isn't a certainty to be signed up?

Demps will turn 33 in Jan. He's done a good patch up job as key defender for his size but I wonder if the club is feeling he is now a bit of an inbetweener. If we landed a genuine KPD in the trade then we would have that traded in player plus Carlisle, Goddard, Coughlan, Roberton, Gilbert, maybe even Lee as good sized big backs - thats not bad depth.

We have plenty of medium to small half back options now - Savage, Webster, White, Rice, Joey, Mckenzie, even Billings, - who all provide the attacking rebound that Dempster doesn't. The club would be keen to start pumping games into the young turks. And we might look at using a lower draft pick for another young back.

Could Seans time be up?

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Dempster

Bluthy wrote:So Sean is out of contract. I find it interesting that the club hasn't signed up him up yet for another year. Is it a case of the club is seeing what it can land in terms of big defenders before making a decision on Demps - same as its doing with Fish - and he isn't a certainty to be signed up?

Demps will turn 33 in Jan. He's done a good patch up job as key defender for his size but I wonder if the club is feeling he is now a bit of an inbetweener. If we landed a genuine KPD in the trade then we would have that traded in player plus Carlisle, Goddard, Coughlan, Roberton, Gilbert, maybe even Lee as good sized big backs - thats not bad depth.

We have plenty of medium to small half back options now - Savage, Webster, White, Rice, Joey, Mckenzie, even Billings, - who all provide the attacking rebound that Dempster doesn't. The club would be keen to start pumping games into the young turks. And we might look at using a lower draft pick for another young back.

Could Seans time be up?
Still in our best 22 IMHO

One year will be our year
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I could be wrong but aren't the club & Dempster waiting to see what happens during trade week before making a decision?

I was under the impression that Dempster is quite happy to hang up the boots but may play on if we can't find a suitable replacement for his position.

Don't think there is any chance that he will go to another club - its either one more year or retirement

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-28/i ... keep-going

ST KILDA defender Sean Dempster wants to play on next season and is confident the club will offer him a contract soon.

The 2012 All Australian missed three matches midway during the season after he required an operation to his right knee, with cartilage floating around in the joint.

Dempster told AFL.com.au he wanted to play on and experience finals once again.

"I'm in talks with the club at the moment and everything seems positive, as much as they can be for a 32-year-old at this sort of stage," Dempster said.

"I'd love to keep going. Over the past three years, our wins have been lean."

Dempster has lined up in five Grand Finals – two in his time at the Sydney Swans, and three at the Saints.

While the last of those deciders was in 2010, good times seem on the horizon for the Saints. They just missed out on finals but victory against the Brisbane Lions on Sunday would mean they have doubled their win tally from last year.

To thank its members and supporters, children under 15, accompanied by an adult, can enter the game for free.

The membership tally at St Kilda grew above 38,000 in August, the first time that mark has been broken in five years.

Having surgery at the time he did caused some consternation for Dempster. With his first baby due in September and no contract for 2017, he feared for his future.

"It fell during the mid-season break when you go away for a holiday, so you have all this time away from the club. Although you're having a little bit of a rest, you still wonder, 'How am I going to go? What's the club going to think of this?' because you have no contact with them," he said.

He thought going under the knife may have made the situation worse, and he experienced a clicking in his knee that had not occurred before the procedure.

"I was a little bit worried that I may have to go in for a second operation straight away," he said.

The doctors were able to allay his concerns, telling him the clicking would subside after the swelling from the operation went away.

His knee is still sore but he puts that down to having a shorter than ideal recovery time in a bid to get back on to the field as quickly as possible. Being able to rest in the off-season should allow the bone bruising to settle down, with no further surgery necessary.

Assuming the club chooses to keep Dempster on, Jake Carlisle will provide a helping hand in defence next season.

Carlisle experienced a rocky start at the Saints, with footage of him snorting an unidentified white powder being broadcast on television before he was suspended as part of the 'Essendon 34'.

The veteran is keen to see Carlisle on the field, with Dempster, Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert often having the difficult task of playing on the big forwards.

"(Carlisle's) size and his presence on the field is something we've been screaming out for," he said.

Carlisle's ban was handed down in January, barely giving him any chance to become familiar with his new teammates.

"It must have been hard for him, and uncomfortable, coming to a new club under those sort of circumstance. I thought he did really well," Dempster said.

"He came in with an injury and wasn't really part of the (main) group, so that probably made it even harder, but he embraced that. He's an outgoing character, so that played to his strengths."

Being out of football for so long would have whet Carlisle's appetite to play football again, according to Dempster.

"I'm assuming he's raring to go and can't wait to get into it," Dempster said

supersaints
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:I could be wrong but aren't the club & Dempster waiting to see what happens during trade week before making a decision?

I was under the impression that Dempster is quite happy to hang up the boots but may play on if we can't find a suitable replacement for his position.

Don't think there is any chance that he will go to another club - its either one more year or retirement
From my point of view I think you are spot on... He's pretty casual he won't play for anyone else ., Happy to stay,, or retire, he's been a stalwart of a clubman

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:I could be wrong but aren't the club & Dempster waiting to see what happens during trade week before making a decision?

Spot on mate. It's no big secret

Rosco
Club Player

saynta wrote:

i thought that was the line on fisher. hadn't seen it reported like that for demps as well. i think demps should be kept around, with fisher dependent on others.

To the top
SS Life Member

At 191cm and 87kg, Dempster has done an outstanding job as a KPP defender in the absence of a genuine KPP defender apart from Fisher (who has also done an outstanding job particularly as a 191cm KPP defender and where his stand out attribute has been his superior reading of the ball and positioning - skills that will continue to make him invaluable in 2017).

In fact all of Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton have performed over and above given what has been asked of them courtesy of the status of our List.

BUT, that said, we have leaked what we have leaked in scores against (and some of the periodic cut up has come from further afield).

The support will be Carlisle, and later in 2017, the introduction of Goddard.

The caveat around Goddard feeds into the retention of Fisher.

So our defence will spread, initially from Carlisle with Dempster, Roberton and Gilbert not needing to be deployed as they have been in 2016 (including in the absence of Fisher which has been costly including during games).

Roberton and Gilbert will remain central to the side in 2017.

So where does that leave Dempster - and particularly if McKenzie and White consolidate?

This is the conundrum in the conversation with Dempster.

The spread on offer may see him the first of our experienced defenders to go.

And particularly as, in the absence of a need to play as a (undersized) KPP defender he is required to not only provide the close checking shut down of a mid sized opponent but the spread, run and penetrating disposal from defence.

IF Geary maintains his position, can we afford 2 dour, shut down mid sized defenders with minimal offensive abilities in today's game?

I think not.

And I would look for the spread to release both Montagna and Gilbert to the mid-field increasing our rotation options and experience.

So the pressure is actually on McKenzie and White plus others putting their hands up.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
IF Geary maintains his position, can we afford 2 dour, shut down mid sized defenders with minimal offensive abilities in today's game?

I think not.

And I would look for the spread to release both Montagna and Gilbert to the mid-field increasing our rotation options and experience.

So the pressure is actually on McKenzie and White plus others putting their hands up.
I agree T3 this gets at the crux of the issue. What helps Dempsters case for being retained is his experience as a key back where Goddard and Coughlan are still green as and need teaching. Carlisle is going to have his hands full at a new club after a year out from the game playing on the monster forwards. Roberton has 100 games under his belt but is still learning to be more of a deep defender himself.

I wouldn't mind keeping Demps if they do something like they are looking at doing with Bartel playing him for only 15 games or so. Give Demps old legs a week off every few week against the weak oppo. That would also let Roberton get a regular taste of stepping up into that deep defender role with more responsibility - Robbo looks like a great replacement for Demps. But I reckon if Dempster's on the list then Richo will play him every week.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is a gun

Required

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
saynta wrote:

i thought that was the line on fisher. hadn't seen it reported like that for demps as well. i think demps should be kept around, with fisher dependent on others.
Yeah, I have. It came out of the blue and was a bit of a shock.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Dempster is a gun

Required
Thanks BM, you nailed it.

I struggled to come up with words that wouldn't be construed as abusive!

Saint supporter since '62
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dempster must play on.

older saint
SS Life Member

With Goddard still developing and Webster being a different type of defender i think Dempster is more than required especially as that intercept marking 3rd man up defender.

I like what they have done with Fisher , the wait and see approach, due to his body issues, but to me Dempster a must keep

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Dempster must play on.
If you were coach our 2017 backline would look something like this:

Hudghton Dempster Baker
Geary Fisher Gilbert

Although that would only be after a lengthy and heated meeting with the match committee where you finally agreed to compromise a little. Your original team sheet would have read:

Gilbert Gilbert Gilbert
Gilbert Gilbert Gilbert

:wink:

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Dempster is an unsung Saint of the qualities we want in all players. He has had an outstanding career, and is fully deserving of being an automatic selection. Times can change quickly for older players but his physique appears as resilient as ever. He remains much required on so many levels. It is important that the club endorses those players who have demonstrated all that is St Kilda.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Dempster must play on.
If you were coach our 2017 backline would look something like this:

Hudghton Dempster Baker
Geary Fisher Gilbert

Although that would only be after a lengthy and heated meeting with the match committee where you finally agreed to compromise a little. Your original team sheet would have read:

Gilbert Gilbert Gilbert
Gilbert Gilbert Gilbert

:wink:
Those meddling fools on the match committee .. must admit I softened a bit when they mentioned Maxie :)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of what happens with Dempster this Season,we will have to recruit a taller 3rd defender to help Carlisle, unless they intend playing Coughlan from Round 1.

To the top
SS Life Member

Borderbarry, you seem to have got to "3rd" before getting to 2nd, unless Fisher continues.

After Carlisle and Fisher (and noting Goddard and Coghlan are both untried) who is there?

We have got by in 2016 with Dempster, Gilbert and Robertop but have leaked more points than can be allowed if we are to improve.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that Lee's review indicates they might be keeping him on the list Richo: "And we did have opportunity down back, given the age of some of our defenders, and whilst not this year, we need to make sure he’s potentially ready to go next year and the year after when the opportunity arises."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-2 ... ew-tom-lee

Is there going to be room for Demps on the list if they keep Lee?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Interesting that Lee's review indicates they might be keeping him on the list Richo: "And we did have opportunity down back, given the age of some of our defenders, and whilst not this year, we need to make sure he’s potentially ready to go next year and the year after when the opportunity arises."

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-2 ... ew-tom-lee

Is there going to be room for Demps on the list if they keep Lee?
f*** me

f*** Lee.

Geez, the rate Lee is improving he may, I repeat may, be a decent player when he turns 30

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
To the top
SS Life Member

Saintspremiers, I would rate what the Senior Coach says over your opinions, at least by a little, little bit.

The reviews of the Senior Coach are very telling and instructive.

And, in my humble opinion, quite correct especially in noting that certain players rated to date need to put on body size to compete at AFL level.

Hopefully Lee can actually put in a full pre season and add the kgs without impacting negatively otherwise.

The task has been set.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saynta wrote:
Rosco wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yeah, I have. It came out of the blue and was a bit of a shock.
on what planet is your people's information coming from - Certainly does not read that way from the above article and you certainly havent said anything here

Worried about surgery because he thought it might jeopordise his career chances in picking up a contract & rushed recovery
He wants to play on and have a shot at playing in finals
He is worried about his future now with new baby responsibility (Im reading financial)
does not sound like a guy that is ok with hanging up the boots
And for me he is far (faaaar) more "required" than fisher

Seeya
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Saintspremiers, I would rate what the Senior Coach says over your opinions, at least by a little, little bit.

The reviews of the Senior Coach are very telling and instructive.

And, in my humble opinion, quite correct especially in noting that certain players rated to date need to put on body size to compete at AFL level.

Hopefully Lee can actually put in a full pre season and add the kgs without impacting negatively otherwise.

The task has been set.
Come on buddy, how long do we have to wait? You have to draw a line in the sand at some stage.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The problem with Lee is this...

He is a good footballer, good hands, great kick, read the play well and is a team player.

However
He is too slow to be a 'third' and is average at ground level or defensively at ground level (tackling)

And
He is not big enough to be a key! At 90kg and a questionable 194 (more like 191) he just isn't strong enough to go with power forwards or be one.

He's a far better player than Hugh Goddard, but not as big. Therefore his scope is limited.