Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

Interesting to know what Seb Ross' trade value would have been after his third year?

Perhaps similar to that of Joel Hamling??

You trade a player for what they can offer, not what have offered.

saint-stu
Club Player

I'm not at all keen on trading Billings unless he wants out. Richo said last year we want 2 or 3 more of Jack Billings. Really interested to know what Jaxons knows that we don't.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Interesting to know what Seb Ross' trade value would have been after his third year?

I would only trade our best young players if it was far in our favour. The guys that could be a fair trade are those with value who we're not currently using e.g. Longer, Templeton, Lee maybe Sinclair.

1ac46a38
Playon
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Interesting to know what Seb Ross' trade value would have been after his third year?

Does that mean we should get a pick inside 10 for Longer?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just that you need to be careful who you throw out.

Longer is only just a player. If we can steal HH with him we should be singing from the rooftops.

He is worth pick 25-35 but only because he's a ruckman.

resaintlee
Club Player

Thank you Jaxons for you comments.

I feel we have moved from the old 'bottom six' to a situation where most of our young players are above this class and are pressing for senior positions if there were enough to go round. Trouble is we don't know yet how good they can be, think of Tom Lynch now at Adelaide.

older saint
SS Life Member

Billings hasn't been able to do a whole pre season, patience is required. very few players are Judd or Bontompelli who come straight from the draft and make an impact. No other sport in the world i can think of draft players at 18 and the fans expect them to make an immediate impact in a physical game against men.

Look at Acres 3rd season before starts to show something, Seb Ross, even longer. We lack classy skilled players Billings is this and needs to be retained.

Longer will be coming into his prime as a ruckman in the next couple seasons. Teams pay overs for Ruckmen - look at what Richmond gave up for Hampson!. Supply and demand teams will pay for Longer as plenty of ruckmen have gone from in and out of side players as a 23 year old into very good players - Jolly a prime example.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Extremely unlikely Billings will be traded however fans much like the club should expect more from Billings & stop being so precious with him. He's got talent to burn & if he doesn't become a top 3 in our club player then he hasn't given his all. It's time for him to toughen TFU, go when it's his turn & not go into his shell in big moments in games. The game against the Dogs in 2015 is currently not the rule but it's the exception. Time for Jack to change that around & it needs to start round 1 next year.

Playon
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote:Extremely unlikely Billings will be traded however fans much like the club should expect more from Billings & stop being so precious with him. He's got talent to burn & if he doesn't become a top 3 in our club player then he hasn't given his all. It's time for him to toughen TFU, go when it's his turn & not go into his shell in big moments in games. The game against the Dogs in 2015 is currently not the rule but it's the exception. Time for Jack to change that around & it needs to start round 1 next year.
Billings has been under an injury cloud for most of the season

Playon
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Just that you need to be careful who you throw out.

Longer is only just a player. If we can steal HH with him we should be singing from the rooftops.

He is worth pick 25-35 but only because he's a ruckman.
I'm sure some ruckmen would take offence to that.

I have a pretty good idea what he's worth, but players are based on what they've offered they're also based on potential and that depends on age and what they've shown so far, and then a whole lot of opinion.
A player in the draft is all about what they've done and what potential they have to improve on that.
A 28 year old may have little potential and has shown what he's about, its all about what he can offer.

A player in the system for a few years that cant crack a game in the seniors may require somebody outside the club to see the potential or may fill a need elsewhere. Either way this player hasn't a lot of trade value and value increases the more they've shown when given a chance. So yes what they have offered can play a big part in what their value is

As far as HH is he what we REALLY need, whats he going to do at the Saints that he couldn't do at Port? Who's he going to replace? I'm happy to pass and go to the draft

Richter
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:To do that, how do we pay for Steele and get another 2 inside 30? Maybe I wont like the answer
Longer should get around #25-30 and Eli *might* be able to be traded with #46 for around #30?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
To the top
SS Life Member

All this talk of trading - but for what?

Simply, post the Lyon period of obtaining average players from other sides (and I trust we have learned) we now have the following core of REQUIRED players assembled from where they have been assembled:-

Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Freeman, Montagna, Riewoldt, Billings, Newnes, Roberton, Longer, Gilbert, Armitage, Gresham, Goddard, Bruce, Membrey, Webster, White, McCartin, McKenzie and Weller - and Wright who is on the cusp given the responsibilities handed to him over the second half of 2016.

Then there are the stalwarts, Fisher and Dempster pending class replacements.

To me, the list above is impressive and particularly given where we came from and the dis-connect in the demographics of our List post Lyon.

Those names have to also be put into structure, hence Fisher and Dempster.

And I would be singularly unimpressed if any of that assembled List are moved on - because I don't think we can get anyone better than those named either by trading or going to the Draft.

To me, the remainder of the List has no trade value - so with them we either give further opportunity or turn via our Draft numbers.

I note the Coach's comments on Lee who holds currency due to structure.

The First Round Pick in a few weeks will add another player of ability. Of those named, how many are First Round Draft picks, being where the quality generally comes from?

And that is the way we should go.

Keep those named as "untouchable" and add a First Round pick - plus assess the likes of Steele if available on the basis of not costing much (a third round Draft pick).

Next year we have another First Round pick, and a second round pick - and we look at Free Agents for compensation only.

That is how highly I rate those we have assembled so far (allowing for structure).

And when we go Free Agent, we do not go after name exclusively, we go after structural needs as Hawthorn have done with key defenders.

So, to me, forget the nonsense speculation of trading First Round picks in Armitage or Billings or Longer and stick to the knitting being the List we have diligently assembled - and enhance on that List.

Plus there is morale with such a young List - and that is absolutely vital.

Let us not undo the leadership legacy of Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert.

And yes, despite the high praise, I have left Geary out because I would hope the defensive rebounding skills of the likes of White, McKenzie and Webster represent a significant strength in any St Kilda defensive structure going forward.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Myron Gaines wrote:Extremely unlikely Billings will be traded however fans much like the club should expect more from Billings & stop being so precious with him. He's got talent to burn & if he doesn't become a top 3 in our club player then he hasn't given his all. It's time for him to toughen TFU, go when it's his turn & not go into his shell in big moments in games. The game against the Dogs in 2015 is currently not the rule but it's the exception. Time for Jack to change that around & it needs to start round 1 next year.
Everything you say is true, but I think its just a matter of him building a tank and everything you say will follow.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:...And yes, despite the high praise, I have left Geary out because I would hope the defensive rebounding skills of the likes of White, McKenzie and Webster represent a significant strength in any St Kilda defensive structure going forward.
The only problem with that is that Geary will probably be captain next year and then how can you drop him to play White or McKenzie in his place?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
To the top
SS Life Member

My view is that the Captain should come from Steven, Armitage, Newnes or Dunstan - all mid-field contributors so generators able to lead (also) by example.

Thesaint127
Club Player

Surely Dunstan too young? I like dunstan don't get me wrong but giving him captain could ruin he club and could ruin his career (jack grimes)
Defo for me armitage,Steven or newness or geary.
I like defensive captains so newness or heart for me as hey would be general sorts imo

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Not long to go until we get the definitive answers for trade week.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Recruit
Club Player

Thesaint127 wrote:Surely Dunstan too young? I like dunstan don't get me wrong but giving him captain could ruin he club and could ruin his career (jack grimes)
I like defensive captains so newness or heart for me as hey would be general sorts imo
Captain will be Geary.....Dunstan will be an excellent captain in 3-4 years...born leader, super player

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
Thesaint127 wrote:Surely Dunstan too young? I like dunstan don't get me wrong but giving him captain could ruin he club and could ruin his career (jack grimes)
Captain will be Geary.....Dunstan will be an excellent captain in 3-4 years...born leader, super player
I think it will be a Jack

Long Term Injury
Club Player

robbie muir wrote:Don't know if it means anything but Nick Dal Santo was having coffee this morning at Mr. Brightside in Caulfield with Ameet Baines.
Maybe they were catching up for a chat for old times sake or maybe there is something more involved.
Family reunion?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:
The Recruit wrote:

Seb Ross will be captain in 2017

The Recruit
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
Not sure Jack S needs or will thrive as captain.....just not his game off the field IMO....great leader on but the extra work would affect his footy.....Geary or newnes are natural leaders...Dunstan born leader....

The Recruit
Club Player

News today Brand from Hawks struggling to agree to terms....198 defender...looked good this year...might be a better option than brown..he is only 22...

The Recruit
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
Not sure Jack S needs or will thrive as captain.....just not his game off the field IMO....great leader on but the extra work would affect his footy.....Geary or newnes are natural leaders...Dunstan born leader....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armitage vs Geary

Steven, Newnes, Weller, Ross, Roberton

Leadership Group