Extended break

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Extended break

Will take another spell from SS

Last time it was good for me, more than a year hiatus. I occasionally viewed (once a month or so) never posted. Been on holidays for a bit, time to go back to the real world and work for a living.

This is not a 'you guys can all go and get f***ed' grandiose exit post, just letting you guys know I won't be around... Probably until StK win the thing!

I think AR is great, said that from his outset and nothing's changed. I think Trout and Ameet have done a top job since the snake left. Club still needs to get a few ducks in a row, but they've been impressive since the Watter debacle.

Disappointed Nick is giving up the captaincy, as there is no need to and there is no stand out suitor?! He deserves the record and more recognition. Like Banger, Lenny, Loewe and Burke it's hard to believe it but in the wider competition they are underrated!!!
How Tex walker can be seen as a better captain astounds me?!

I disagree on everyone's assessment on Luke D. He is an out and out mid with a mans body and has very average output. His disposal and hurt factor is even less. He has not increased his output in three seasons. Hopefully he can get more run in his legs... Quite simply, he is too heavy, he runs heavy.
JB needs to get his body right, with hard work!!! He works nowhere near as hard as Geary, Weller, Ross, Newnes, Riewoldt, Steven on the track! No surprising the difference between the durability of him and the others. Like Raph he must take responsibility for his output!

There are too many excuses on here, and the players and club SHOULDN'T escape criticism! It's their profession, they must be accountable to a certain level of performance and deserve scrutiny!

Lastly, the strongest period I can remember since I joined the club... Was also diabolical for the future of the club!
I tried to argue this point and pointed out some obvious (not genius) problems
The guardians of this site wouldn't have it!!!
Please allow critical thinking and contentious posting. It creates discussion, and robust discussion is where the most ideas eventuate!
It is not negative, we all love stk, it is merely putting forward thought, suggestions, ideas. Those who get on their moral high horse and attack a posters integrity because he thinks otherwise... Really annpy me.
I have never been one to conform to popular opinion, and have always made my own mind up. Does that make me a protagonist or leader? Possibly both or neither??

But at the end of the day, regardless of POV, my want is no more or no less than any other member

I write all of this on behalf of other so called 'negative' posters who are frowned upon. Just say it as you see it!!

Go Saints in 2017
Big Mart

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Extended break

Best news I've had for a while.

Now nick off.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I have never been one to conform to popular opinion, and have always made my own mind up. Does that make me a protagonist or leader? Possibly both or neither??
Definitely neither.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

But still a valued opinion. :D

Have a good break mate, reckon you'll be back sooner than later.

felix
Club Player

Your a ledgend IMO you speak your mind and dont pander to anyone . Learnt a lot about footy from you ..come back soon.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Probably doesnt mean much but I will miss you Marto.
Controversy and conflict are good things on here in good measure.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Please allow critical thinking and contentious posting. It creates discussion, and robust discussion is where the most ideas eventuate!
It is not negative, we all love stk, it is merely putting forward thought, suggestions, ideas. Those who get on their moral high horse and attack a posters integrity because he thinks otherwise... Really annpy me.
I have never been one to conform to popular opinion, and have always made my own mind up.
Nah...just listen to Finey and KB and read Robbo in the Herald Sun. They'll tell you how to think.

Enjoy your time away from this place and l'll be looking forward to your posts in round 1 2017...if not before then

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Stinger?

And why did Dr Spaceman disappear for a while? Was he on the space station?

suss
Club Player

BigMart, 2 weeks.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Don't go BM. You've taken the place of plugsie. The forum needs your brashness!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Jeeesh - doggies win a flag, and some Saints supporters really have taken it harder than I could imagine. It is just a game afterall

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Jeeesh - doggies win a flag, and some Saints supporters really have taken it harder than I could imagine. It is just a game afterall
For some it's like religion. It's more than just sport. It's more than just big business

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
Moods wrote:Jeeesh - doggies win a flag, and some Saints supporters really have taken it harder than I could imagine. It is just a game afterall
For some it's like religion. It's more than just sport. It's more than just big business

I get all that, well kind of. This is a bit Ch 10 news did on my family before the 2010 GF.

I have shed tears of joy and despair after footy games, and I consider myself not to cry easily. I have had sleepness nights because I was so excited about the game I was attending. I spend over $1000 every year on club memberships for my family (a lot of money for me)

But it's still just a game. The greatest game in the world in my opinion - nothing else comes close. I love footy first, the Saints second. A close second but still second. If something happened to the Saints I would still follow the game. What Bigmart and others have shown is that if you get too tunnel visioned by your own club, you fail to smell the roses and really enjoy the game. Rather that get all bitter and twisted about the doggies having success, why can't we revel in it as well? I agree with BM - it doesn't guarantee our club anything. But so what? Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it and be happy for other people. If the Saints never win a flag in my lifetime, I will still find enjoyment in footy every week and I will still follow the Saints.

I'm amazed at how unhappy the Dogs win has made BM and a couple of others

loris
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for sharing your life with us Moods - you, IMHO have your priorities right.

I'm so chuffed for the Doggies success. Loved seeing their season rewarded after such adversity with injuries to major players this year. And to think, they were a broken Club a few years ago. Coach sacked, captain wanting out etc. Now they optimise what belief in their Club can bring.

Well done Bulldogs, however I hope the Saints will take your spot next season.

Richter
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: I get all that, well kind of. This is a bit Ch 10 news did on my family before the 2010 GF.

I have shed tears of joy and despair after footy games, and I consider myself not to cry easily. I have had sleepness nights because I was so excited about the game I was attending. I spend over $1000 every year on club memberships for my family (a lot of money for me)

But it's still just a game. The greatest game in the world in my opinion - nothing else comes close. I love footy first, the Saints second. A close second but still second. If something happened to the Saints I would still follow the game. What Bigmart and others have shown is that if you get too tunnel visioned by your own club, you fail to smell the roses and really enjoy the game. Rather that get all bitter and twisted about the doggies having success, why can't we revel in it as well? I agree with BM - it doesn't guarantee our club anything. But so what? Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it and be happy for other people. If the Saints never win a flag in my lifetime, I will still find enjoyment in footy every week and I will still follow the Saints.

I'm amazed at how unhappy the Dogs win has made BM and a couple of others
What a terrific post Moods.

I'm similar to you. I couldn't help but want the Swans to win during the game, but sheesh, as soon as the match is over... well I couldn't help but be happy for the Doggies... I remember them trudging out of the G in 2009... and again in 2010 with us having beaten them to a GF both times...

I love the Saints first... the game second... but to me it's not the winning or losing at the end of the game that matters the most... it's the little moments of skill and courage that I enjoy... Rooey taking a great grab, Acres loping through the middle, Gresh spearing a handball out from congestion in to the path of a teammate running in to space. One of my favourite ever Saints moments was Lenny Hayes taking down Easton Wood in round 3 in 2012.

For me, the main thing I'll be thinking about when the Saints do finally win a flag will be... how long until the first day of the next season...?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I would've loved to see the Dogs fan feel our pain. They have no idea. They think losing prelims is bad. It's got nothing on losing Granny's.

For me, it's Saints first, footy second.

If we are not in the big dance, I want a particular side to win due to the impact it has on us. Last years granny was great. Didn't really matter if the Hawks or WCE won.

I wonder all you lot that are comfortable now the Dogs won would've been OK had Freo won a flag in 2013 and had their maiden

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I would've loved to see the Dogs fan feel our pain. They have no idea. They think losing prelims is bad. It's got nothing on losing Granny's.

For me, it's Saints first, footy second.

If we are not in the big dance, I want a particular side to win due to the impact it has on us. Last years granny was great. Didn't really matter if the Hawks or WCE won.

I wonder all you lot that are comfortable now the Dogs won would've been OK had Freo won a flag in 2013 and had their maiden
The answer to your last question SP is yes! I was at the game and was hoping they'd win. I always go for the underdog and the hawks have won their fair share. Why would it matter if the Dockers win?

How does it affect the Saints that the Doggies won actually - what? Because their supporters didn't get to feel the same pain we felt? Why would you wish that upon them? They waited 60 years for a flag, they nearly made it a few times. What has our hardship really got anything to do with them at all? Our issues at the Saints are our issues. We have come close and for whatever reasons have not been able to quite get there. That's alright. I'm still confident that one day we will - more confident than ever. And when we do I won't be looking at the Dogs and thinking 'now we're even.' Because it has nothing to do with the Dogs.

The Saints having a tragic history doesn't reflect on me or any of us as people. So why do we continually carry on like it does. We're worried that people will tease us because we're the only team to have won one flag? Are we that insecure that someone hanging s*** on us in the street about how many premierships our club has won affects us that badly? This sort of stuff used to worry me in primary school - don't want to go to school today because my team lost and everyone will hang it on me.

I feel sorry for you SP that you attended the GF on Saturday, really, so you could see a team lose rather than enjoy the thrill of a club starved of success win the thing. Just because it's not us.

I love my kids. Love them more than anything. Does that mean I can't be happy for other kids and their success? :?

Richter
SS Life Member

Ha! Again I'm somewhere in between the two of you.

In advance of the 2013 GF I certainly didn't want Freo to win - some lingering feeling of disloyalty regarding Ross leaving I suppose. Though I certainly understand why he left and in retrospect realise that it was good for both sides.

"I wonder all you lot that are comfortable now the Dogs won "... I suppose that before the fact I am happy to live in a delusion where me supporting one team or another might magically affect the outcome. Clearly after the fact it becomes totally irrelevant. The Dogs did win. Rather than being sad about it why not simply let it be and be pleased for them in their happiness. All that bitterness can't be good for your health SP!

Btw I certainly believe that it is better to get to the GF and lose than lose at the prelim. Even though we lost I would not have the experience of watching the Saints at 3 GFs taken away from me. It was a special time.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Always appreciated BigMarts opinions. Usually very thoughtful and backed up with evidence. Hope he chips in now and then thru the trade period.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Always appreciated BigMarts opinions. Usually very thoughtful and backed up with evidence. Hope he chips in now and then thru the trade period.

Plus 1

loris
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Always appreciated BigMarts opinions. Usually very thoughtful and backed up with evidence. Hope he chips in now and then thru the trade period.
+1

asiu
Saintsational Legend

plus me on this sentiment as well.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing whenever anyone leaves the forum. Don't agree with BM all the time, but I enjoy someone with strong opinions. Keeps things interesting. Then again, I was one of the few that was disappointed when P66 left as well.

happy feet
Club Player

It would appear that I have upset Big Mart by my "nick off" comment, which he chose to take exception to and send an abusive PM. So if it makes Big Mart feel a little better I will publicly apologise for my "nick off" comment. I might step out of line occasionally, but at least I don't send abusive PM's.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's not an apology. If you want to sincerely apologise then bloody well do it because you regret what you said, not because 'if it makes Big Mart feel a little better'

You didn't get support from the bullies after your public post. You were probably expecting them to join you but you've seen that the majority of posters have shown empathy with Marto and even if you disagree with what he writes ther is no excuse to be an ass. You deserve whatever he sent to you