Gilbey's Gin training jumper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Gilbey's Gin training jumper

Does anyone have a pic of one they can post? Was it black with red collar and cuffs (or white collar and red cuffs) and white writing on it? I had one as a kid around 1983/84.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbey's Gin training jumper

I can't find a picture of the Gilbey's Gin training jumper but I found one of the Gilbey's Gin scoreboard at Moorabbin.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I've got one buried somewhere in a box in the garage. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you. Got it for my 21st in 1983.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Remember the old wind sock next to the scoreboard as well? Ahh.. good times.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I can't find a picture of the Gilbey's Gin training jumper but I found one of the Gilbey's Gin scoreboard at Moorabbin.

For those who are not familiar with this old scoreboard the numbers next to A&B etc down the left hand side are scores from other grounds, usually posted at the end of each quarter.
The footy record let you know who teams A&B were.
There were twelve teams in the competition so 5 other games.
All games were played simultaneously on a Saturday afternooon starting at 2:10PM
Finals all played at the MCG started at 2:30PM (only 4 finals in total one per weekend).
There was only one central umpire in this case umpire 5 see footy record again.
Results from the horse races were also displayed, but mobile phones had not been invented so you could not place bets while watching the game.

Notice how St Kilda leads the Filth.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saint3d
Club Player

ace wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I can't find a picture of the Gilbey's Gin training jumper but I found one of the Gilbey's Gin scoreboard at Moorabbin.

For those who are not familiar with this old scoreboard the numbers next to A&B etc down the left hand side are scores from other grounds, usually posted at the end of each quarter.
All games were played simultaneously on a Saturday afternooon starting at 2:10PM
Finals all played at the MCG started at 2:30PM (only 4 finals in total one per weekend).
Results from the horse races were also displayed, but mobile phones had not been invented so you could not place bets while watching the game.

I'm not sure why, but I did some minor internet sleuthing in an attempt to identify the match captured in this photo.

I have determined that the photo was taken during the last quarter of St Kilda's first ever home game at Moorabbin: Round 1, 1965.

The other scores were Fitzroy (A) vs Essendon (B) and Hawthorn (G) vs Carlton (H). The other matches that round were played on Monday afternoon. I'm sure there's an explanation for that but I'll leave it to others.

Umpire 5 was Jeff Crouch, who went on to umpire the Grand Final that year (and the following year!). He awarded a total of 73 free kicks for the match.

The attendance figure for the match was 51,370, which remains a record.

robbie muir
Club Player

Round 1 in 1965 fell on the Easter Weekend.

3 Games were played on Easter Saturday and 3 on Easter Monday

George27
Club Player

So the Carlton match would have been Barassi's first since his move from the Dees, which at the time was huge. Even today the move of a club captain would attract a lot of comment ( unless it was Rockliff ), but in the days when player movement was rare it was absolutely immense.

ctqs
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I've got one buried somewhere in a box in the garage. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you. Got it for my 21st in 1983.
Thanks so much WW. I thought there may have been a photo of the players wearing them during a training session but I can't even find a pic of that.

oh when the
Club Player

Gilbey's was a club sponsor brought in during Foxes reign as President - others at the same time were Harvester International, Buckley's, General Credit and I think there was one more club sponsor, I think all are now defunct.

ctqs
Club Player

oh when the wrote:Gilbey's was a club sponsor brought in during Foxes reign as President - others at the same time were Harvester International, Buckley's, General Credit and I think there was one more club sponsor, I think all are now defunct.
Valentine Greetings?

oh when the
Club Player

Yep that's the one - are they still going?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:
ace wrote:

I'm not sure why, but I did some minor internet sleuthing in an attempt to identify the match captured in this photo.

I have determined that the photo was taken during the last quarter of St Kilda's first ever home game at Moorabbin: Round 1, 1965.

The other scores were Fitzroy (A) vs Essendon (B) and Hawthorn (G) vs Carlton (H). The other matches that round were played on Monday afternoon. I'm sure there's an explanation for that but I'll leave it to others.

Umpire 5 was Jeff Crouch, who went on to umpire the Grand Final that year (and the following year!). He awarded a total of 73 free kicks for the match.

The attendance figure for the match was 51,370, which remains a record.
It was Easter weekend and that's why some games were being played on Monday - Easter Sunday was 18th April in 1965

A & B were Fitzroy and Essendon - game played at Brunswick Oval - 3 quarter time scores
G & H were Hawthorn and Carlton - game being played at Glenferrie Oval - 3 quarter time scores

The Stk v Collingwood score displayed on the scoreboard was halfway through the last quarter

Thinking back in the 80s that those scoreboard letters were usually linked to certain grounds

A & B was usually games being played at VFL Park
C & D was Princes Park (Hawthorn or Carlton)
E & F was Victoria Park & Moorabbin (Collingwood & St Kilda)
G & H was MCG (Richmond or Melbourne)
K & N was Arden Street & Windy Hill (North Melbourne & Essendon)
R & S was Kardinia Park & Western Oval (Geelong & Footscray)

Junction Oval (Fitzroy) ??
Lake Oval (South Melbourne) ??

Happy for anyone to correct me here

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mambo2706
Club Player

ctqs wrote:Does anyone have a pic of one they can post? Was it black with red collar and cuffs (or white collar and red cuffs) and white writing on it? I had one as a kid around 1983/84.
Not sure if it's the jumper you want but have a look at this site (about half way down) http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/michael ... d41e4f20ea

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
ctqs wrote:Does anyone have a pic of one they can post? Was it black with red collar and cuffs (or white collar and red cuffs) and white writing on it? I had one as a kid around 1983/84.
Not sure if it's the jumper you want but have a look at this site (about half way down) http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/michael ... d41e4f20ea
Photo from Mambo no 2706's web site mentioned above.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Not to nitpick but I reckon all games started at 2:00pm.
2:10pm came in when the games were televised so they had 10 minutes to talk about the game before the first bounce (but I could be wrong).

ctqs
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
mambo2706 wrote:
Photo from Mambo no 2706's web site mentioned above.

Thanks for that. The one I remember had the individual lettering ironed on I think as opposed to a big, sewn-on patch.

mambo2706
Club Player

Found a photo of another jumper but I don't think it's the one you are describing.

1965 Saint
Club Player

I lived in Melbourne for a year in 1970 and my recollection was that the scoreboard didn't have a Gilbeys Gin on it that year but an Australian Scotch whisky. Not sure which one but Bond7 rings a bell. Does anyone recall?

mambo2706
Club Player

1965 Saint wrote:I lived in Melbourne for a year in 1970 and my recollection was that the scoreboard didn't have a Gilbeys Gin on it that year but an Australian Scotch whisky. Not sure which one but Bond7 rings a bell. Does anyone recall?

This photo is the back of the scoreboard in 1965

https://scoreboardpressure.com/2011/11/ ... -victoria/

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
1965 Saint wrote:I lived in Melbourne for a year in 1970 and my recollection was that the scoreboard didn't have a Gilbeys Gin on it that year but an Australian Scotch whisky. Not sure which one but Bond7 rings a bell. Does anyone recall?

This photo is the back of the scoreboard in 1965

https://scoreboardpressure.com/2011/11/ ... -victoria/
Bond 7 is not Scotch Whisky but a local abomination distilled and bottled by Gilbey's in Moorabbin!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

My Dad used to know one of the operators of the score board. His name was Percy. We used to go up during the reserves and watch from there, then come down for the main game. Bit of a good memory for me.
Anyone know where the scoreboard is now.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It was also used by homeless kids as a squat in the 80's. I remember Joffa Cunningham coming in to the police station and telling us there were kids living in there. He was the grounds an at the time. Four of them had set up house in there.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:It was also used by homeless kids as a squat in the 80's. I remember Joffa Cunningham coming in to the police station and telling us there were kids living in there. He was the grounds an at the time. Four of them had set up house in there.
What did they do during the game? Did they keep score?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It was just after the season ended. Apparently they moved in after the last game, seeing as the scoreboard wasn't used in the cricket season. I think Moorabbin sub district team still played there then, but the scoreboard was not used.