Picks 23 and 36

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 23 and 36

I agree with SaintBob on Willem Drew. Looks pretty a classy 188cm mid. Smooth mover.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:I agree with SaintBob on Willem Drew. Looks pretty a classy 188cm mid. Smooth mover.
+1.
I was going through the Phantom drafts the other day and he looked like one who may still be there at 23 ...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

By the title of this thread, does everyone believe we are not using a 3rd pick this year, even though we worked hard to trade 61 in?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Have we delisted enough players in order to upgrade Holmes AND have three other picks in the draft?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Not yet we have'nt. One more to go.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We know Trout loves the kids with great character. So 23 probably looks like Berry, Dylan Clarke or Griffin Logue, size versatile and known strong characters.

If I had seen SPP play midfield which he obviously does at WAFL Colts level, I may be more settled on chosing him. But isnt the WAFL Colts like the TAC B grade?

shrodes
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote:We know Trout loves the kids with great character. So 23 probably looks like Berry, Dylan Clarke or Griffin Logue, size versatile and known strong characters.

If I had seen SPP play midfield which he obviously does at WAFL Colts level, I may be more settled on chosing him. But isnt the WAFL Colts like the TAC B grade?
Can't see a KPP like Logue left until pick 23.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:We know Trout loves the kids with great character. So 23 probably looks like Berry, Dylan Clarke or Griffin Logue, size versatile and known strong characters.

True probably same with Berry - but there are always sliders.

ace
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Not yet we have'nt. One more to go.
That will be Fisher.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:

Many would have said the same about Kieran Collins last year. By all reports we were seriously considering him at 18 but we chose Gresham and then Collins lasted until 26. Most people expected Darcy Tucker and Ryan Clarke to be gone late first/early in the second round last year as well but they lasted until 27 and 31 respectively. History suggests there will be some quality sliders around for our picks.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
shrodes wrote:

Many would have said the same about Kieran Collins last year. By all reports we were seriously considering him at 18 but we chose Gresham and then Collins lasted until 26. Most people expected Darcy Tucker and Ryan Clarke to be gone late first/early in the second round last year as well but they lasted until 27 and 31 respectively. History suggests there will be some quality sliders around for our picks.
That's why I do not understand people's logic that we should have swapped the 2 picks for pick 15, particularly in this draft.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I'm hoping someone like Witherden slides to us. Its a big risk as his injury meant he couldn't do his midfield transition but sounds like a likely type.

Villis sounds like a player on paper.

SPP is the boom/bust Dusty type.

Berry I hated but at 23 might be too good to ignore.

Rotham is the perfect Dempster replacement though and I've followed the kid for years. From Blakes WAFL club too! Aaaaand wore 66 at the combine so I dare say our recruiters would love him!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Be interesting for whoever picks up my fav player In the draft, Powell Pepper.

If he loses his nut we will have a "pepper spray"

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:No short arses. The future is not smaller players. Think of the Bont ahead of the Bill, etc.

Bulldogs have a heap of smaller players and they kill it - Libba, Hunter for example. We have some bigger bidies now would be happy to take a smaller mid if they have the speed and skill attributes we need.
Fair enough as long as the bidies aren't too old.
What's a bidie ?
I always thought the spelling was biddy! From my interpretation, years ago i think it meant an interfering, old gossipy, bitchy woman.

Tho I think there was Scottish interpretation. I can't recall the actual spelling, it may have been 'biddie'. Think the word came up in many of Robbie Burns' writing/poetry and referred to the olde difficult village woman....... that is only my interpretation of Robbie Burns use of the word, I could be wrong............. however this old biddie doesn't often err, as you know folks!!!!! :oops: :oops: Humble biddie am I not ??

I just knew you would answer that one. :lol: 8-) :D

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:I agree with SaintBob on Willem Drew. Looks pretty a classy 188cm mid. Smooth mover.
Agreed would be worthy 3rd round pick and from the great Hamden League (Koroit) where a lot of sucessful players have come from!

saintbob
SS Life Member

May need to look at another KPP with pick 61, now Chips has retired.

Pick's 23 & 36 should be definitely used on the best available midfielders.

To the top
SS Life Member

Agree that with the loss of Fisher - and Lee and Delaney - we are reliant on Carlisle and Brown as KPP defenders whilst we await the development of Goddard and Coghlan to AFL standard.

The reliance on Dempster to "play above his weight" continues because we have "lost" 3 and gained 2 (including Carlisle).

So what difference does this make to who we Draft and particularly with the two Second Round selections?

And do we look for a 3rd, intercept marking defender or rely on Roberton and Gilbert with their height and rebounding skills?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote:Agree that with the loss of Fisher - and Lee and Delaney - we are reliant on Carlisle and Brown as KPP defenders whilst we await the development of Goddard and Coghlan to AFL standard.

The reliance on Dempster to "play above his weight" continues because we have "lost" 3 and gained 2 (including Carlisle).

So what difference does this make to who we Draft and particularly with the two Second Round selections?

And do we look for a 3rd, intercept marking defender or rely on Roberton and Gilbert with their height and rebounding skills?
Not sure if this is the draft to try to draft for positions especially defenders.

Rotham would be a very good potential top 10 selection who has underperformed in that Dempster role.

Bishop on BF has us taking Florent, would be a huge shock if he was there on draft day but sounds like we might have a slider.

Mutch seems like a good player around our pick who may not be matched by GWS.

Witherden is still my choice if he slides.

Logue wont last to 23 but would be great if he did.

I am still hoping for some Carlton/Boekhurst type choices before ours though

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
citywest

As long as the short arse can play that's fine. No point in having size if you don't know how to use it. :-)

citywest

If Jack Scrimshaw slides to 23 we take him.

the dome
Club Player

Picks 23 & 36

Witherton & P.P. mentioned on a couple of phantom drafts (around #23).
They both seem like likely picks for us with our focus on mid-field depth. I wonder how Witherton is rated by those @ the Geelong Falcons given the large number of players picked from there over recent years by AFL clubs ? One of the footy prophets (Callum Twomey) had us possibly having a serious look @ Elliott Himmelberg at 196cm who has played as a defender and fwd. He has good lateral movement according to Adrian Fletcher.
With likely sliders and late chargers up the list it could be a surprise outing for us all @ the draft. :D

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Be interesting for whoever picks up my fav player In the draft, Powell Pepper.

If he loses his nut we will have a "pepper spray"
His other names aren't Peter Picked a Pickled?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

misses a crucial kick at goal. Pepper sprays it. In great form? Hot pepper. I know. I'll quit while I'm behind. Elshaug picks a peck of Powell-Pepper. Groan!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If it's a cold day and he is in sterling form - Red Hot Chili Pepper. :lol: :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Gershwin
Club Player

Inside Football comes out today with its comprehensive look at draft hopefuls. Always worth a read.

summertime and the living is easy ........