Sinclair wins time trial

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sinclair wins time trial

longtimesaint wrote:
Zed wrote:
saintbob wrote:It's great to hear Acres was in the top 5, hopefully he continues to build on his tank so he can spend more time playing through the middle.
Thought I read somewhere that Acres parents (one or both) were middle distance runners ?

Pleased for Jack Sinclair, looks all class when he gets the ball. Sinclair, Lonie, Gresham, and Minch all fighting it out for that small forward spot who then runs through the middle occasionally.
I think Gresham will be a midfielder and likely to be elite in 1 to 2 years.
I think you are right. It's going to be tough to get and keep a spot in the side, which is exactly how it should be

SMS
Club Player

Gresham - Clearly the most talented. Looks future AA good.
Lonie/Sinclair - cant split em both gun potential.
Minchington - 4th in Line but wouldnt surprise me he ended up second hes got skill and toughness.

the dome
Club Player

Well done to Sinclair & good luck to him

I think it's a good sign to see Jack S. taking it on himself to be fit enough to win the time trail.
Coming into 2017 Jack could be of the mind that he'll be as prepared as he can be to take opportunities when they present.
Keep at it Jack, it's great to see you out there really going for it. :D

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Would not have tipped that result

Sinclair faster than DMac and Wright. (also surprised at Lonie in 3rd).....well done to Sincs

Nee!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Great stuff. I'd love to know how it stacks up against Gears time. I assume he'll top the list when the entire senior list returns.

jays
Club Player

good on him ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

heat is on for spots and Lonie and Sinclair both hard at it. great to see!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I find it weird they do these time trials when they are first back from the off-season. Its like its being used as a warning/punishment for how they behave on their holidays - don't go to overboard cos you gotta do a gut busting run as soon as you are back that will determine your position in the pecking order.

I don't like that. Let the players let their hair down on their holidays without having to think about their physical state constantly they way they have to throughout the whole year. Let them work it off once they are back on the clock for a month or so and then do your trials.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

You might want to have a rethink about that bluthy
These guys are well paid professional athletes being fit at 80% is expected
Name me another profession where kids straight out of school would earn as much

Seeya
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:You might want to have a rethink about that bluthy
Indeed, ss. These days, you can't afford to take anything for granted as the environment is so competitive. If you haven't totally looked after yourself and done some extra work in the leave period, you are starting behind. Look at Steve Motlop. Great year in 2015, came back 'fat' from his break and struggled to catch up all year. Result? An ordinary year by his standards and talk of being traded out.

I agree with you, Bluthy, that they should be given a break to enjoy themselves because it is such an intense environment, but unfortunately, it seems you just can't afford to 'enjoy' yourself too much.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:You might want to have a rethink about that bluthy

While I think they should come back fit... I'm sick of the 'how much they are paid arguement'.

Name another profession which forces kids to move interstate?
Name another that has an average career of 5 years
These kids are the best in the country - students out of year 12 probably get more rewarded financially by getting scholarships to Melb Uni to study what they want.

Plus the pay initially is very dependent on playing seniors.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Bluthy wrote:I find it weird they do these time trials when they are first back from the off-season. Its like its being used as a warning/punishment for how they behave on their holidays - don't go to overboard cos you gotta do a gut busting run as soon as you are back that will determine your position in the pecking order.

I don't like that. Let the players let their hair down on their holidays without having to think about their physical state constantly they way they have to throughout the whole year. Let them work it off once they are back on the clock for a month or so and then do your trials.
- time trial is not punishment; rather, "Training Services" can assess a player's physical shape and fitness, and tailor/tweak each player's training programme to suit;
-a player can assess his own fitness compared to team-mates; Sinclair is competing for limited spots, and he is now aware that he is up there in the mix.

That last one is very important, to me anyway, as competition improves the breed. A player cannot take his spot for granted, and competition is healthy- so many players working hard, drives improvement.

Or are you the poster-boy for mediocrity?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Bluthy wrote:I find it weird they do these time trials when they are first back from the off-season. Its like its being used as a warning/punishment for how they behave on their holidays - don't go to overboard cos you gotta do a gut busting run as soon as you are back that will determine your position in the pecking order.

- time trial is not punishment; rather, "Training Services" can assess a player's physical shape and fitness, and tailor/tweak each player's training programme to suit;
-a player can assess his own fitness compared to team-mates; Sinclair is competing for limited spots, and he is now aware that he is up there in the mix.

That last one is very important, to me anyway, as competition improves the breed. A player cannot take his spot for granted, and competition is healthy- so many players working hard, drives improvement.

Ooh the "mediocrity" line comes out. ARe you the new Bigmart? This increasing rate of depression in the insane goldfish bowl that is now the AFL is a worry. A big worry too is this increase in athletes over footy players that has made the game less watchable.

Its actually about decreasing mediocrity because you are letting players be genuinely mentally refreshed from their break. Humans need to be able to let their hair down and genuinely unwind. The AFL season is a marathon and you want them as mentally fresh as possible.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Ooh the "mediocrity" line comes out. ARe you the new Bigmart? This increasing rate of depression in the insane goldfish bowl that is now the AFL is a worry. A big worry too is this increase in athletes over footy players that has made the game less watchable.

Its actually about decreasing mediocrity because you are letting players be genuinely mentally refreshed from their break. Humans need to be able to let their hair down and genuinely unwind. The AFL season is a marathon and you want them as mentally fresh as possible.
I agree to a point but i imagine the off-season training program is more of a maintenance one and several degrees down from the pre-season regimen

supersaints
Club Player

Bluthy, Me thinks that its primary purpose is to establish a baseline reference for your fitness level. This enables the fitness staff to see where each player is so they can tailor the best programme to get you back to fitness.
The only punishment is the rubbing your mates give you when you run a worse time than your previous year. From what I know your trial base ( your own time ) should be bettered each year if you keep yourself in shape.

I'm not expert so I asked someone apparently it also

Increases V02Max
Increases Anaerobic threshold
Improves nervous system patterning of muscle fibres for improved form at increased speed

Whatever all that means !

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:

Bluthy, Me thinks that its primary purpose is to establish a baseline reference for your fitness level. This enables the fitness staff to see where each player is so they can tailor the best programme to get you back to fitness.
The only punishment is the rubbing your mates give you when you run a worse time than your previous year. From what I know your trial base ( your own time ) should be bettered each year if you keep yourself in shape.

I'm not expert so I asked someone apparently it also

Increases V02Max
Increases Anaerobic threshold
Improves nervous system patterning of muscle fibres for improved form at increased speed

Whatever all that means !
I think there is clearly a punitive element to these time trials to keep them from going to seed on their holidays. You think Richo won't be looking very carefully about who finished where? It gets leaked to the media and put on the website straight away.

And how can you get a proper baseline from when they have all their holiday fat? Let them burn that off a bit and knock themselves into shape and then do it.

The_Merchant
Club Player

I am not sure if it still holds true, but the general calculation used to be for every week of no exercise, it takes around four weeks to regain the lost fitness. So if the players were to spend six weeks with no exercise, it would take nearly six months to get back to a similar level of fitness. No professional player would spend the entire off season sitting on the beach, they would all be on maintenance programs and most of them would probably enjoy it. When you have spent all that time getting to peak fitness, the last thing you would want to do is go to seed over the holidays, it would just make your preseason massively harder.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Rooey goes to Texas with Catherine to see the in-laws... he doesn't gorge on down-home cookin, he goes to the gym and works his butt off.
Everyone admires his work ethic, so why do folks want the other Saints to sit around drinking and eating Maccas? He's a pro, and the others look up to him as a role model.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:I am not sure if it still holds true, but the general calculation used to be for every week of no exercise, it takes around four weeks to regain the lost fitness. So if the players were to spend six weeks with no exercise, it would take nearly six months to get back to a similar level of fitness. No professional player would spend the entire off season sitting on the beach, they would all be on maintenance programs and most of them would probably enjoy it. When you have spent all that time getting to peak fitness, the last thing you would want to do is go to seed over the holidays, it would just make your preseason massively harder.
If you didn't train for 6 weeks it wouldn't take you 6 months to get back to where you were.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

I think Pre-Season is more about nailing in game plans, improving skills, and stuff like that. At all levels there is an expectation that you come back to training with a reasonable level of fitness, if not, you're just playing catch up to everyone else all season.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
The_Merchant
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
The_Merchant wrote:I am not sure if it still holds true, but the general calculation used to be for every week of no exercise, it takes around four weeks to regain the lost fitness. So if the players were to spend six weeks with no exercise, it would take nearly six months to get back to a similar level of fitness. No professional player would spend the entire off season sitting on the beach, they would all be on maintenance programs and most of them would probably enjoy it. When you have spent all that time getting to peak fitness, the last thing you would want to do is go to seed over the holidays, it would just make your preseason massively harder.
If you didn't train for 6 weeks it wouldn't take you 6 months to get back to where you were.
It would take a heap of extra work to catch up. Even injured players cross train to keep up their base fitness level. 6 weeks with out training at any level would have a massive effect on a players readiness for the season.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sinclair will be elite.

Lock it in. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How did Billy Longer return last season? How fit was he? And did it have any effect on his poor 2016 season?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:How did Billy Longer return last season? How fit was he? And did it have any effect on his poor 2016 season?
I think tony74 could fill us in. I'm told he didn't come back in great nick and it did affect his overall preparation. Throw in shoulder surgery and multiple concussions and it's not hard to see why his season was disappointing. It's why so many on here, me included, thought he'd be used as trade bait. Make or break year coming up for Billy.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:If the 3 Jack's come god .....
Wow - just think of that team - 3 deities. The Holy Trinity - pity one will go missing for three days during the Easter Season!

Love your work Pav - bought a smile to my dial!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!