Picks 23 and 36

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Picks 23 and 36

avid wrote:Can we get players who can do both a. and b.?
The point is we need a good smattering of b.'s as well - the relentless tackling types - but as many of a. players as possible.
If they are both a. and b.types in one - good at tackling as well as creating time and space - that would be ideal - and a real bonus.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
The point is we need a good smattering of b.'s as well - the relentless tackling types - but as many of a. players as possible.
If they are both a. and b.types in one - good at tackling as well as creating time and space - that would be ideal - and a real bonus.
What about 'o' negative players?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
samoht wrote:
What about 'o' negative players?
:D :D :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
silverhalo
Club Player

SMS wrote:Yeah i agree josh battle is all class! A bigger membrey basically. God forbid mccartin keeps getting concussed we need another classy straight kicking forward which battle is. Him and witherden have great skills.
SPP BOTLTON BATTLE or WITHERDEN for me
Would be really excited if we managed to land Josh. I saw a few of his games this year playing for Haileybury and he would be more than a handy addition up forward for us; he's a good kid too. Will he still be there at 23? I personally doubt it but most pundits seem to have him going at around that mark so you never know.

silverhalo
Club Player

SMS wrote:Yeah i agree josh battle is all class! A bigger membrey basically. God forbid mccartin keeps getting concussed we need another classy straight kicking forward which battle is. Him and witherden have great skills.
SPP BOTLTON BATTLE or WITHERDEN for me
Would be really excited if we managed to land Josh. I saw a few of his games this year playing for Haileybury and he would be more than a handy addition up forward for us; he's a good kid too. Will he still be there at 23? I personally doubt it but most pundits seem to have him going at around that mark so you never know.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Jacks Back wrote: What about 'o' negative players?
Touché!
No because they'd be all at c.(sea) ... they wouldn't fit in. I'd only consider a . and b. Positive ...no negative types! :)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Touché!
No because they'd be all at c.(sea) ... they wouldn't fit in. I'd only consider a . and b. Positive ...no negative types! :)
I don't know, samoht. Negative players could be useful as run with/tagger types. Think Baker or Geary. Their blood's worth bottling.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Touché!
I don't know, samoht. Negative players could be useful as run with/tagger types. Think Baker or Geary. Their blood's worth bottling.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Gee I like Witherden, I know he is a hbf atm but I think he can transition and would've if he'd played this year. Looks like a Newnes clone but hopefully one who can play on the wing. Falcons boy too!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:Gee I like Witherden, I know he is a hbf atm but I think he can transition and would've if he'd played this year. Looks like a Newnes clone but hopefully one who can play on the wing. Falcons boy too!
I know I'm quoting myself here but I wonder if Macreadie, Sproule or Mutch would be bid on prior to pick 23. If so I doubt they will be matched and would therefore leave another 'open draft' player to slide.

If there are a few bolters from this mix in the first round I'm predicting a gun to get to 23!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Im getting a bit nervous about how a lot of pundits are "hoping" that talent will slide out to our first pick
Regardless of what people "hope" will be the future of our elevated picks next year
was it a mistake to trade away early picks this year? - especially a top ten

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Im getting a bit nervous about how a lot of pundits are "hoping" that talent will slide out to our first pick
Regardless of what people "hope" will be the future of our elevated picks next year
was it a mistake to trade away early picks this year? - especially a top ten

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Im going against the grain , but Personally I hope we can draft either one or 2 tall mobile defenders. Just think we are lacking tall defensive depth with more and more teams going with 200cm tall forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck. Brown is a stop gap whilst we all hope that HG comes on.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SuperDuper
Club Player

Zed wrote:Im going against the grain , but Personally I hope we can draft either one or 2 tall mobile defenders. Just think we are lacking tall defensive depth with more and more teams going with 200cm tall forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck. Brown is a stop gap whilst we all hope that HG comes on.
yep, Ridley or Rotham would be a good fit at 23... although I have no idea how I recruiters rate them :)

Gershwin
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:
Zed wrote:Im going against the grain , but Personally I hope we can draft either one or 2 tall mobile defenders. Just think we are lacking tall defensive depth with more and more teams going with 200cm tall forwards who can pinch hit in the ruck. Brown is a stop gap whilst we all hope that HG comes on.
yep, Ridley or Rotham would be a good fit at 23... although I have no idea how I recruiters rate them :)
Apparently next year's tall draft prospects are considered better than this years.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Twomey has us taking Battle or SPP and he is usually fairly accurate.
Ridley could also suit us. Local lad. Dempster and Gilbo won't be around forever.

Wombat15
Club Player

can someone explain the advantage to me of taking a med-tall forward? Rather us take a line breaker like Bolton, SPP, Gallucci etc.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:can someone explain the advantage to me of taking a med-tall forward? Rather us take a line breaker like Bolton, SPP, Gallucci etc.
Dogs have: Cordy, Boyd, Redpath, Cloke, Stringer Crameri, Dickson
We have: Bruce, Paddy, Membrey, Billings, (Roo)

So basically to add depth in an important position.

George27
Club Player

I agree with Con. I took the 41 players we currently have ( including Darragh Joyce and Ray Connellan , both earmarked as defenders ) and slotted them into a first team and then a team of reserves. Of course the reserves will not play as that team, as they are integrated with Sandy players, but it gives a good idea of whether we have depth to cover inevitable injuries . It shows a gap in that medium to tall forward group. If the ideal first team has all of Bruce , Membrey , Paddy and Roo in it, then if one of them goes down we are looking at someone like Gilbert to pinch hit , or a second ruck in a pocket , or restructuring and going smaller. On every other line there are real options, but not here. So a backup amongst the three draft picks would be advisable.

Wombat15
Club Player

i get the idea of it but seems odd to draft for depth at 23. mind you im always of the idea take the best available and work the rest out later.

older saint
SS Life Member

At 23 Best available player (who isn't a ruck) . At the end of the day quality at this point of the draft outweighs position. If 2 guys line ball then position.
Ideally i would like to get someone with that X factor. Take a risk perhaps but we don't have the x factor guys ( probably cost us a premiership) and i think u need them.

the dome
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Twomey has us taking Battle or SPP and he is usually fairly accurate.
Ridley could also suit us. Local lad. Dempster and Gilbo won't be around forever.
I noticed today that Sheehan has rated Sam McLarty @ 23 -Tall, mobile defender who can take a good pack park !

his Rating for #22 is Andrew McGrath (have heard from some he wont last that long)
Sandringham Dragons (Victoria)
2/6/1998 Height: 177cm Weight: 77kg
describing McGrath as a "Dashing defender/midfielder who is a prolific ball-winner and a great distributor. A tough competitor, strong in the air and provides terrific rebound. Winner of Vic Metro's Most Valuable Player award and was co-captain in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Recorded the second best repeat sprint time at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

23. Sam McLarty
Oakleigh Chargers (Victoria)
11/5/1998 Height: 197cm Weight: 91kg
Sheehan describes Sam as a
" Tall defender/ forward who is mobile, agile and an excellent pack mark. Performed well for the Oakleigh Chargers and represented Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year. Wears a bionic ear after being diagnosed with profound deafness as an infant but it has not affected his ability to develop as a genuine AFL Draft prospect".

You'de love to hear the thinking going into the draft but it could be as simle as who is rated the better player whatever the position @ 23.
I'm already feeling the pressure with Friday drawing closer.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Battle or Marshall dont make it through to #23 that means a mid will slide so my hope is Florent, Gallucci or Bolton. Bid on Sproule at # 36 if matched take another tall like Maiburn or McLarty. At # 60 Begley, Cunningham or McCarthy. Plenty of solid options....cant wait!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Pick 23 and 36 are a terriffic position for sliders, we should get two really good prospects.

I still think that in this draft they represent as good a position as a stand alone pick 10

Excellent work by Ameet

Nee!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

McGrath won't last anywhere pick 23. If he does, I'd be astounded and we'd grab him in a heartbeat. Judd like. Top five, maybe even number one. Sheehan's been on the bongs. Still...........