Scotty Watters was on SEN today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Scotty Watters was on SEN today

Caught a bit of him talking about Spencer White. Said he had great highlights, great marking etc. But compared him to Newnes who had a deficiency with his running and worked at it until he is now at the top. Dropped Dermie's name again - those two must be tight as thieves. Said asked Dermie to check Spencer out. Derm said he had some fantastic strengths but also some real deficiencies (didn't say what). Not sure if he talked about coaching Saints or not.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scotty Watters was on SEN today

Whqt was the point of the conversation. White has been gone a year.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I think Scott wanted to confirm he didn't have a clue.

Job done. And, Dermott is a flog.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thank goodness we got rid of him before we went even further into the AFL wilderness.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Midget hour

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Thank goodness we got rid of him before we went even further into the AFL wilderness.
We could've got more number 1 picks than the Dees though!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Did he need to sit on a yellow pages?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

saintly wrote:Whqt was the point of the conversation. White has been gone a year.
I think Andrew Marr brought him up when they were talking about player development - Marr must have seen some of Whites utube highlights and wondered why he didn't come on. Watters then started talking about talls show patches of brilliance but often take 4-5 years before they show AFL level consistency. Then said it wouldn't surprise him if White comes good about now but you've got to take your chances while you're in the system. They way Watters segued into talking about how Newnes making his running elite through sheer determination I took as confirming what we all suspected of White - he couldn't or wouldn't build an AFL level tank - with his asthma maybe not helping.

Watters talks really well. You could see why someone (us) would give him a main coach job - he can talk the talk, just couldn't walk the walk.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

My man.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ace
Saintsational Legend

Watters nice guy, pity he did not have a clue how to coach.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
saintly wrote:Whqt was the point of the conversation. White has been gone a year.
I think Andrew Marr brought him up when they were talking about player development - Marr must have seen some of Whites utube highlights and wondered why he didn't come on. Watters then started talking about talls show patches of brilliance but often take 4-5 years before they show AFL level consistency. Then said it wouldn't surprise him if White comes good about now but you've got to take your chances while you're in the system. They way Watters segued into talking about how Newnes making his running elite through sheer determination I took as confirming what we all suspected of White - he couldn't or wouldn't build an AFL level tank - with his asthma maybe not helping.

Watters talks really well. You could see why someone (us) would give him a main coach job - he can talk the talk, just couldn't walk the walk.
Was a good interview. Some great insight into the development side of our list, which was always his priority.

Richo seems to be better at involving the older players as mentors and leaders for the young players; Watters just froze them out completely.

In hindsight, Watters' brutality in getting rid of aging players has probably served Richo quite well.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Watters is an interesting case.

IMO when you look at the decisions he actually made in terms of list, he wasn't nearly as bad as his legacy suggests. In fact to take it a step forward, I actually think he was doing a lot of really good things. Made tough decisions and committed to the rebuild.

The problem is/was, he couldn't sell his strategy. There was all this talk of a near rebellion of the senior players, the coaching selections were bizarre to say the least, ppl didn't seem to like working with him. He couldn't sell the message to the players, the fans and ultimately the club.

In the end, he had to go... but he did a lot right by the club as well

jaxons
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Watters is an interesting case.

IMO when you look at the decisions he actually made in terms of list, he wasn't nearly as bad as his legacy suggests. In fact to take it a step forward, I actually think he was doing a lot of really good things. Made tough decisions and committed to the rebuild.

The problem is/was, he couldn't sell his strategy. There was all this talk of a near rebellion of the senior players, the coaching selections were bizarre to say the least, ppl didn't seem to like working with him. He couldn't sell the message to the players, the fans and ultimately the club.

We have had some ordinary coaches over our history.
Watters is hard to beat as the worse.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

Plus one, Jaxons. An absolute shocker. Sack the firm that recruited him. A midget version of Mark Néeld.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Legendary
Club Player

He tried pretty hard to get another gig at AFL level last year according to a couple of people I know.

He got nowhere. Seems telling. Even Mark Neeld is still involved in the AFL system.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

I would rate Timid Tim the worst in recent years. Blight probably could coach but was a disinterested lazy bastard by the time he got to us.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
jaxons wrote:

I would rate Timid Tim the worst in recent years. Blight probably could coach but was a disinterested lazy bastard by the time he got to us.
Yeah...Hard to go past Tim "Minibus" Watson as the worst coach. Probably an Essendon plant.

He took a team close to the peak of their powers and coached them to a wooden spoon inside two years. He had no idea what to do to counter an opposition run on...He never recovered from that game at Waverley against the Hawks in 1999 when we gave up an 11 goal lead 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/19 ... 90619.html We were sitting equal 2nd after 10 rounds that season. We won three more games for the season and only 2 1/2 games the following season.

Pity we threw the baby out with the bathwater as Al Clarkson was an assistant to Tim.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

That's saying a lot given our history.

Interesting he can't get a gig in any capacity.

He really shot himself in the foot when he bagged the club on the media after he got sacked. Clubland is a very small world.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Very ordinary. A refugee from the Malthouse factory. Once the resources weren't in place, he was always going to struggle. First class tool. Like Mickey Shithouse.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!