I'm famous. I went to school with...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clintgrierson
Club Player

Re: I'm famous. I went to school with...

Linton Lodger wrote:I once met Gary Ablett (Snr) at a night club in his playing days and he was off his dial.
I was 16 years old....living with a friend when Ablett came over to our house to visit my mate's uncle ( his church mate ). I was kicking back in the lounge-room watching TV, when he rudely picked up the remote control and changed the channel i was watching without asking. Was kinda surreal.

oh when the
Club Player

God moves in mysterious ways!!!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I went to primary school with David Culbert (represented Aust in the long jump at the Olympics), he was also a Saints supporter.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

:D
oh when the wrote:God moves in mysterious ways!!!
Beware of false gods! :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
minneapolis
Club Player

clintgrierson wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:I once met Gary Ablett (Snr) at a night club in his playing days and he was off his dial.
I was 16 years old....living with a friend when Ablett came over to our house to visit my mate's uncle ( his church mate ). I was kicking back in the lounge-room watching TV, when he rudely picked up the remote control and changed the channel i was watching without asking. Was kinda surreal.
He did it at Hawthorn too. That's why they got rid of him. You would think he would have learnt his lesson.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
skeptic wrote:I went to school with Jason Blake and that Russo guy (Paul) who was an assistant coach mid 90s was a teacher at the same school.

Not a great story
You mean Peter Russo? He played most of his career with Hawthorn, but then got recruited by the Saints to play out the last couple of years of his career. I do have a recollection of him going on to being an assistant under Stan Alves.

So were you in the same year as Jason Blake? What was he like as a person?
Yeah that's it.

Unfortunately Jason was quite a few years above me... he was in year 10 when i started.

The only memory i really have of him was watching him play in a game of football against a school that we had an annual exchange program with.

He dominated and we won by 200 odd points.

Seemed well liked by his team mates.

Peter was a bit of an old fashioned teacher... he had that friends with eveyone thing happening but man could he rip you a knew won if he misbehaved.

I remember in 1997 preseason the club sent a bunch of players down to the William Fry Reserve to be part of our school's day out. We spent the whole day doing footy activities and groups with Stewart Loewe, Aussie Jones, Nathan Burke, I think the Wakelins and Tony Brown were there.

It was amazing

Chester's Saints
Club Player

Ryan O'Keefe, Luke Penny, Matthieu Lucas (Bulldogs Rookie)

Shannon Grant (couple years older though and at a different school)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:I have been inspired by Loris' wonderful story of growing up with the Barrot boys.

Thanks Loris. It was fantastic.

But I am also famous. Well maybe a tad. Perhaps a microbit.

I went to school with Gary Rosewarne, who was the son of Keith Rosewarne, a prodigiously talented St Kilda rover.

And to add shine to my famosity, my brother went to school with Daryl Somers. I believe he was named Schultz back then.

(We have to get thru the off season some how).
CBC St Kilda!

Me too. I was there with John Killigrew son of Alan, and Bernie Valance son of Soapy who was a hundred goal full forward for Carlton.
Daryl Schultz was a few years behind me, and Eddie Everywhere many years behind.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Grrrrr
Club Player

minneapolis wrote:I have been inspired by Loris' wonderful story of growing up with the Barrot boys.

I went to school with Gary Rosewarne, who was the son of Keith Rosewarne, a prodigiously talented St Kilda rover.

And to add shine to my famosity, my brother went to school with Daryl Somers. I believe he was named Schultz back then.

I played a couple of season's with Gary at Elsternwick many moons ago :)

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

I grew up next door to Paul Salmon, also school with Gary O'donnell. Played cricket with Dean Bailey(RIP) and cricket against Peter Banfield.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Pwoit wrote:I grew up next door to Paul Salmon, also school with Gary O'donnell. Played cricket with Dean Bailey(RIP) and cricket against Peter Banfield.
I can't match the standard here, but anyway...

I once worked (very very briefly) with Gary Odgers.
I know the Redpath family. Ian is most definitely the absolutely top-bloke that the legend says he is, though his daughters are crazy grrrrrrls. But wondrously so. :lol:
For those 1970's 'Sweet-VFA' Oakleigh fans out there... Brian Ford was one of my teachers.
I played some cricket with a bloke who was later convicted as a paedophile priest. He was actually a really nice bloke. Shows one can never tell, I guess :(
Few Saintsationalists may know of John Tyrrell whom I went to school with, and used to know reasonably well. But many of you would have heard of the gignormous band he created. He was the original drummer, but soon got sick of that, so got someone else in, and just managed them. Didn't even particularly like the music, but very astutely spotted a 'niche'...

(Bands actually. They were so huge, one band couldn't meet the demand. Not widely know, but he therefore created several line-ups concurrently.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
minneapolis
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:

CBC St Kilda!

Me too. I was there with John Killigrew son of Alan, and Bernie Valance son of Soapy who was a hundred goal full forward for Carlton.
Daryl Schultz was a few years behind me, and Eddie Everywhere many years behind.
Hi Bernard. Correctamundo. I graduated in 1970. You must have been 5 years in front of me!!!

I learnt to smoke behind the old attached church! And cadets was fun.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Barry Breen

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Barry Breen
So you went to De La Salle

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Grrrrr wrote:

I played with and under Lumpy at Wickers too, and cricket with him at Sth Caulfield. Great player at both.

It's only Saints u/19s but went to school with a guy called Shane Warne, great full forward thought he would have done a bit better for himself at footy don't know what happened...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
loris
Saintsational Legend

2 notables I also went to high school with were:

Keith Ryrie.......... luckily the monster was expelled after year 8 (I think it was). He murdered two young girls in 1966. Maureen Ferrari (aged 18), Rhonda Irwin (aged5).
During his teenage years he'd been on rape charges.... but of course the criminal justice system, slapped him over the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf on 2 separate occasions. Possibly if he'd been locked away then those two girls might be alive today. At school, we kids knew he was a bad egg........ a real bully, one would steer well clear of Keith Ryrie. His younger brother Colin was also a convicted paedophile, tho he never went to our school

Patti McGrath .... known to most as Patti Newton. Patti only lasted one year at high school - think her mum and dad thought it was a bit too rough (they were correct) and young Patti went off to a catholic convent!!!!!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I went to school with Steven Icke, John Blair and Barry Beecroft, i was also friends with Ray Jamieson.

If anyone knows who those guys were.
Some Noble Park boys there!
That's right Viking.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I went to Helen Street State School in Northcote. When I was in the 2nd grade a new kid was introduced to the class, John Cain. His father was Premier at the time, but nothing was ever said about that. Of course John Cain Junior also became Premier of Victoria. When at Preston Tech, Bill Lawry was in the 4th form when I was in the first. Needless to say he took off every award with the bat (Cricket and Baseball) at the school sports night. He lived near me too, and I met him a few times over his pigeons.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Further to the above,the only kid in my school year who played AFL was Colin Ridgeway who played for Carlton. He was better known as an Olympic high jumper. He was the first Australian to clear 6 feet.

noddy04
Club Player

I didnt go to school with anyone famous but I worked with Robbie Muir. I also played country football against him. Good bloke at work... white line fever on the footy oval

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Further to the above,the only kid in my school year who played AFL was Colin Ridgeway who played for Carlton. He was better known as an Olympic high jumper. He was the first Australian to clear 6 feet.
Also played for the Dallas Cowboys.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
St Loxton
Club Player

Jeff Hilton, played for the Saints (early 90s i think).

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:2 notables I also went to high school with were:

Keith Ryrie.......... luckily the monster was expelled after year 8 (I think it was). He murdered two young girls in 1966. Maureen Ferrari (aged 18), Rhonda Irwin (aged5).
During his teenage years he'd been on rape charges.... but of course the criminal justice system, slapped him over the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf on 2 separate occasions. Possibly if he'd been locked away then those two girls might be alive today. At school, we kids knew he was a bad egg........ a real bully, one would steer well clear of Keith Ryrie. His younger brother Colin was also a convicted paedophile, tho he never went to our school

Patti McGrath .... known to most as Patti Newton. Patti only lasted one year at high school - think her mum and dad thought it was a bit too rough (they were correct) and young Patti went off to a catholic convent!!!!!
Small world, Loris. Keith Ryrie was my ex-wife's uncle. He asked my mother in law if he could take her three kids, my ex included, to the beach the day before he murdered Rhonda Irwin. Thank goodness she said no. Years after my ex took me in to Pentridge to see a play of Breaker Morant put on by the prisoners. That piece if s***, Ryrie was one of the stars, as was Jimmy Loughnan, Chopper's great mate. I was a young copper at the time and all I wanted to do was jump on the stage and strangle Ryrie. At every family do, his mother would tell me he was innocent and the coppers had framed him. One year, I was finally fed up and asked her how he knew where Rhonda's body was, as he led the coppers to it and why he was burning Rhonda's clothes when the police turned up. The stupid old bitch had no answer. I could see where he got it from. He walks among us now. Hope I run into him one day. It won't end well for him.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
Grrrrr wrote:

I played with and under Lumpy at Wickers too, and cricket with him at Sth Caulfield. Great player at both.

It's only Saints u/19s but went to school with a guy called Shane Warne, great full forward thought he would have done a bit better for himself at footy don't know what happened...
I was about to ask if Gary was "Lumpy", HtH - it was a cricket thing, back in the 'subbies'.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:Jeff Hilton, played for the Saints (early 90s i think).
Yeah, played a handful of games for us in 1991-92. Seemed like a good prospect, but then got traded to Melbourne.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!