I'm famous. I went to school with...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: I'm famous. I went to school with...

Ken Bennett, who was a rover in the Magpies 1958 premiership team. We lived nearby in Spring Vale and attended Dandenong High School in 1956/57. I went straight from high school to work as a Patrol Officer in New Guinea in February 1958, so was only able to listen to football broadcasts on short-wave radio from Radio Australia every Saturday afternoon.

Following notes on Wikipedia about this match:

"Much of the media criticism centred on the Magpies’ supposed lack of leg-speed, and particularly on their diminutive 18-year-old second rover Ken Bennett. Thus the Melbourne Age’s football writer Percy Beames, in a preview article in the Age on the morning of the grand final titled "Brilliant Demons look set for title", anticipated that, "The slow roving of Ken Bennett could show up badly against the speed of [Melbourne’s] Frank Adams."
The Magpies’ coach and selectors did not follow this advice. They stuck with Bennett, a skilled wet-weather player, throughout the finals; and in the grand final, played on a wet and in parts muddy ground, he proved a match winner."

A few years behind us at DHS was Brian Keneally who went on to an illustrious career with Melbourne. The 3 of us played in a few inter school games in 56/57 against Warragul and Mildura. Our school team was regularly coached by Thorold Merrett, renowned for being one of the best stab-kicks in the competition.

Those were the days.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I didn't go to school with anyone famous however my daughters went to school with Hayden Crozier, Taylor Garner & Jonathan Patten.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
GRAMophone
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Darren Millane.... although he was a couple of years younger than me. Not a friend, but he was a classmate of a couple of fiends of mine. His older brother, John, was a much better footballer. Also, former Richmond president Gary March was in my year level, but again, not a friend.
Mmmmm - we must be about the same age (pretty old). I went through primary school with Gary March. Was a pretty cheeky kid too. Bentleigh West Primary in Brewer Rd.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Gerard and Greg Healy. Mark Kellett as well.
Another St Bedes boy.

Gerard was gone by the time I got there, but I was in the same year as Greg. Kellett was a Prefect at St James when I started there as a young buck.

I remember that in 1980 or 81, Grant Thomas (another former St Bedes boy) was having a bit of a purple patch with The Saints. I remember we were quizzing our teacher about GT and he described GT as a larrikin, academically hopeless and a natural leader of men.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

John Torode Chef & host of the original UK version of Masterchef.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I had Russell Greene as a Phys Ed teacher and coach of my Under 11s footy team during my grade 5 and 6 days at primary school. It was during the latter stage of his playing career at Hawthorn. I was one of the few St.Kilda supporters at the school and he took a shine to me because of it. Despite his playing days with St.Kilda long in the past, he used to tell me stories about his days with the Saints and how the club still meant a lot to him and how he hoped to see them win that elusive second flag. He was one of the best teachers and footy coaches I ever had, as well being a wonderful person.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Viking3
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
Viking3 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I went to school with Steven Icke, John Blair and Barry Beecroft, i was also friends with Ray Jamieson.

If anyone knows who those guys were.
Some Noble Park boys there!
That's right Viking.
By the time I got to the seniors ('83), only Jamo was still playing. Said he should have been nicknamed 'Twang' because his hammy's went so often!
Bet he still remembers the Clayton GF. Ump blew his whistle to start the game and we had players decked all over the field. Jamo had his jaw broken!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Selhurst Saint wrote:I went to school with Paul Roos.

Oh, and Karen Knowles as well.

Grubby Allen was also our P.E. teacher for a while.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

First day at High School I sat next to a bloke named Harry Barkas. He's now fondly remembered as the Hot Chocolate Rapist. We had Rod Austin as a PE teacher, and the footy team included Mark Lee, Dale Weightman, and Michael Roberts. Harry and Brad Beitzal umpired the teachers vs students match, but Curly didn't make the cut for the teachers side.
Julian Knight didn't arrive until after I'd left.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
wally
Club Player

Mark Sarau was a couple of years ahead of me Jeff was in my sister's year.
We had Jeff Moran as a P.E. teacher for a couple of months maybe '71

loris
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:First day at High School I sat next to a bloke named Harry Barkas. He's now fondly remembered as the Hot Chocolate Rapist. We had Rod Austin as a PE teacher, and the footy team included Mark Lee, Dale Weightman, and Michael Roberts. Harry and Brad Beitzal umpired the teachers vs students match, but Curly didn't make the cut for the teachers side.
Julian Knight didn't arrive until after I'd left.
I taught Dale Weightman, when he was doing hospitality studies at The William Angliss Institute. He was playing for Richmond at the time and had a part time job at the parliamentary dining room- to get his practical hours component.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I went to school and played schoolboy footy with Darren Millane

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Viking3 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I went to school with Steven Icke, John Blair and Barry Beecroft, i was also friends with Ray Jamieson.

That's right Viking.
By the time I got to the seniors ('83), only Jamo was still playing. Said he should have been nicknamed 'Twang' because his hammy's went so often!
Bet he still remembers the Clayton GF. Ump blew his whistle to start the game and we had players decked all over the field. Jamo had his jaw broken!
Must have been the only time Noble Park ever lost a fight?

Viking3
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Viking3 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Viking3 wrote:

That's right Viking.
Must have been the only time Noble Park ever lost a fight?
You may be right there! :wink:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:I went to school with P66 and the Fidge brothers.

P66 come back, all is forgiven.
I have cousins who are cousins of the Fidge brothers.

Thankfully I am not related to plugga 66, and I hope he never returns ,

Oh and I went to school with three or four VFL footballers including a guy who went on to captain the filth.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 08 Dec 2016 6:37pm, edited 2 times in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bobmurray, I went to school with Robert Jamieson, who played a handful of games with the Swans. I think he and Ray are related

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Milney was at HP when I did my first stint there. The classroom wasn't his thing, but his footy skill was remarkable.

I believe Blakey was at Chelt SC in Y12 when I started working there, but I never had anything to do with him other than to hear he was a gun, from memory.

I then encountered Gwilt, at Lyndale SC a super cricketer and footballer but an even better kid!

but going to school, that was long ago... Can't remember anyone of not.

Ben Buckley (North and Nike) was at the same club growing up.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GRAMophone wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Darren Millane.... although he was a couple of years younger than me. Not a friend, but he was a classmate of a couple of fiends of mine. His older brother, John, was a much better footballer. Also, former Richmond president Gary March was in my year level, but again, not a friend.
Mmmmm - we must be about the same age (pretty old). I went through primary school with Gary March. Was a pretty cheeky kid too. Bentleigh West Primary in Brewer Rd.
Went to Bentleigh West Primary from 1963 to 1969 so perhaps a few years older than you.

No footballers spring to mind although I was in the same class as a kid who I later found out went on to become a male model and to father Holly and Olympia Valance Image

Playon
Club Player

Well we had the entire Fitzroy players at my grandparents house on a regular basis
My first footy was given to me by 99 game Collingwood player, again at my grandparents house, what a beauty, a Ross Faulkner, before that all I had was a plastic footy, also sold me my house, really nice guy and very sorry that he's passed away since. Died way too young.

The old man played for vic and was offered a contract at 4 AFL or back then VFL clubs. Was a Swans supporter used to know Bobby Skilton and many many others

Garry Ablett SN was coming to one of our Christmas BBQs but thankfully he couldn't make it, otherwise I'd have to give him crap about how Frawley used to towel him up.

Worked at the same company as Micky Conlan

My uncle is good mates with one of Linsey Foxes best mates and also used to play squash with Rex Hunt

I also worked with Rex hunts brother, who btw hate each other.

I guess I''m the black sheep in the family barracking for the Saints, but I grew up in the St Kilda area.

But no didn't go to school with anyone famous

Small world

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:Our primary school football team was smashed by one Dean Anderson. I then ended up going to secondary school with him. There was also a guy who went on to play for Melbourne - and of course a couple of famous ones followed after I had left - C ....... Judd and B Goddard.
Yep, I was lucky enough to take the field with both Judd and BJ at CGS.. unfortunately it was on the cricket field. I was an abysmal footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norm De Plume

Some great stories here. Enjoyable stories.
Not quite a ' went to school with' but I have been fortunate enough to coach a number of kids in elite programs that have made AFL including a couple currently on our list and a brownlow medallist.

My smallish claim to fame.

Premium89
Club Player

I worked at a bakery with the bloke who's now the new purple wiggle.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Gerard and Greg Healy. Mark Kellett as well.
Another St Bedes boy.

Gerard was gone by the time I got there, but I was in the same year as Greg. Kellett was a Prefect at St James when I started there as a young buck.

I remember that in 1980 or 81, Grant Thomas (another former St Bedes boy) was having a bit of a purple patch with The Saints. I remember we were quizzing our teacher about GT and he described GT as a larrikin, academically hopeless and a natural leader of men.
Brad Hodge was at St. Bedes when I was there. He was a couple of years above and of course cleaned up in all of the cricket awards.

Peter Russo taught my brother a number of years before when he was playing for Hawthorn, Chris Donlon (AFL umpire) also went there and I think Eddie Perfect may have also gone to St. Bedes in there somewhere.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Norm De Plume wrote:Some great stories here. Enjoyable stories.
Not quite a ' went to school with' but I have been fortunate enough to coach a number of kids in elite programs that have made AFL including a couple currently on our list and a brownlow medallist.

My smallish claim to fame.
You must be a super coach! Sounds like you should have your own Academy with that kind of strike rate.

st.rod
Club Player

Went to Sandy Tech. Produced Shane Grambeau,Stephen Rae, Ian Coopers bro, Vic Open winners Stewart Ginn and Trevor Mcdonald and Tom Maher coach of the Opals. Not a bad era hey!