Five reasons not to go for Fyfe next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Five reasons not to go for Fyfe next year

If we got Fyfe and kept two first rounders - obviously you go for it and we possibly win a flag if we get a good run with injuries in 2018/19.

But the chances of him walking to us for nothing are slim. What would we lose? Nothing is 'free'. There is always something you have to give up even in the unlikely event he comes as a FA.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

agreed Con we have to look at - YES we will be grabbing a FA in the next two years
and a big yes that Fyfe is a great player and a perfect age fit
However Im just not convinced that he is going to walk to Stkilda
I dont think he will leave freo - hes a WA country lad who loves being a WA country lad
And it is going to take a lot of money, no strike that, Hancock proportion amounts money to prize him away from Freo
And the biggie for me is that we are talking about Fyfe's form from three seasons ago... (yuckie use of homonyms there I know :oops: )

Heres an interesting thought - might we be better suited looking at a true ruckman? I know clubs dont pay big bikkies for FA ruckman - but when you think about it a big reason that Fyfe looked so good was that Cox was slamming the ball down his throat every stoppage all the while working hard in defense and into attack picking up a few goals here & there.
I read next years draft there is a kid Callum Coleman-Jones at 199cm 98kg who sounds exactly like the future ruckman we want and if we got him I would be very happy.
But can we wait the 3-5yrs he will take to develop -
SO lets split the bill and get two FAs for the cost of 1 Fyfe

Seeya
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Cox must have been good to smash the ball down Fyfe's throat when they were on opposing teams.
If you mean Sandilands, then yes he is the hit out king, but the 20 or so extra hit outs he wins have never translated into extra clearances for Freo - I guess most must go straight down the opposition midfielders' throats or nowhere in particular!

Cox was good in that he got his 20 or so possessions around the ground - that's what sets him and other good ruck men apart!
hitouts shmitouts!
Last edited by samoht on Fri 02 Dec 2016 4:44pm, edited 2 times in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:[

If he can can show his leg is right this year,
All salary and trading issues aside, first of all I'd be looking at whether he's the player he was. Not everyone recovers from a busted leg to be the player they were. Matt Maguire for example.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

samoht wrote:Cox must have been good to smash the ball down Fyfe's throat when they were on opposing teams.
If you mean Sandilands, then yes he is the hit out king, but the 20 or so extra hit outs he wins have never translated into extra clearances for Freo - I guess most must go straight down the opposition midfielders' throats or nowhere in particular!

Cox was good in that he got his 20 or so possessions around the ground - that's what sets him and other good ruck men apart!
hitouts shmitouts!
:oops: yep thats what i meant - put it down to nullabor hwy brain fade

Seeya
asiu
Saintsational Legend

fwiw ... any appropriate walkin with game winning potential is ok by me

... but a big NO ... DEFINATELY NOT ... to said walkin being Captain.

No No No.
and NO.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Bluthy wrote:[

If he can can show his leg is right this year,
All salary and trading issues aside, first of all I'd be looking at whether he's the player he was. Not everyone recovers from a busted leg to be the player they were. Matt Maguire for example.
The problem with that example is that Matt Maguire lost his mojo well before he got that injury... had a terrible 1-2 seasons before hand

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

fyfe...gun.....chance of getting him...take it. simples

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:fwiw ... any appropriate walkin with game winning potential is ok by me

... but a big NO ... DEFINATELY NOT ... to said walkin being Captain.

No No No.
and NO.
Exactly, we dont need a Judd

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the OP.

Recruiting out and out superstars rarely pays off. The main reason is that they usually come with a ridiculous price tag. Yes we may be able to afford it, but at what ost? Eventually it comes back to bite you on the arse. The Swans had to off load Mummy and now Tom Mitchell to accommodate Tippett and Buddy. Carlton ALWAYS needed more than just Judd to lift them up the ladder. Same with GC. Ablett has been great for them, but now when they really need him, he's too old.

For mine, a superstar is only ever good if they arrive for the right reasons and don't expect to be paid their market value. Burgoyne was great for the Hawks because he was prepared to play for his $400k a year. Danger is a good recruit for the Cats because he's getting paid well under market value. Plenty of clubs prepared to pay him $1mill plus. He's at the Cats for $700k. Means other players can develop around them.

If we've learnt anything from the Dogs is that sound recruiting of a good young list with a great culture with excellent coaching is all you need. Not a team filled with superstars - unless they are home grown, ie The Bont or in our case Roo.

Unless Fyfee is prepared to play for us for about $700k (will never happen) then we should pass on him and keep developing our great young list and picking up some A graders when the chance comes along (not necessarily the absolute superstars of the comp - but guys who aren't far off)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
If we've learnt anything from the Dogs is that sound recruiting of a good young list with a great culture with excellent coaching is all you need. Not a team filled with superstars - unless they are home grown, ie The Bont or in our case Roo.

)
Tom Boyd?
(But I do see your point)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Roo, Kosi, Lenny, Dal, Milne, no flag
If we get Fyfe it would be great but superstars in your team doesn't equal premiership success. Apart from those mentioned by Spert we also had guys who were elite and playing the best footy in their careers like BJ Goddard, Chips, plus Dalsanto yet we still fell short.

Great clubs with a stable board, switched on leadership and a great coach are the key. I think our off field/admin side of the club is elite. We just need the coaches, footy department and players to follow their lead. When you look at the Doggies with their recruiting and development, I think that is the key to laying the foundations for a core group of players that will grow and potentially go all the way. However, the leadership off field is obviously not enough and you need leaders that are hungry for success on field. I don't think it was an accident that they lost the former CEO, capatain and coach all at the same time.

Bevo likes winning and that's why I think Bevo has a ruthless uncompromising attitude. I wouldn't like to see him angry. Stringer and others realise that if you don't play by team rules you go back to the VFL. I also think that Bevo learnt a great deal from the little master at the Hawks.

I like what we're building and I'll be happy if we get in the 8 or close to matching our wins in 2016, but more importantly, 2017 is about the improvement and development of our core group. We do have some young up and coming stars and the continual improvement and consistency in these guys will determine how well we do as a team.

One last thing: Boyd filled a need at the Dogs. If Fyfe fills a need and his style of play is the missing ingredient for us to go the next step in 2018, then it makes sense - otherwise, the negatives outweigh the positives.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
One last thing: Boyd filled a need at the Dogs.
Though not the main need that he was recruited for. Was not succeeding as the main key forward and so Bevo re-invented him as a ruck forward and he seemed to go much better in this more roving role.

The Swans had many strengths, but in the GF their ruck division was not flash. So Boyd was right man, right time, right place in the GF.

My main concern about Fyfe is that it would be a lot of eggs in the one very expensive basket to get him. So I am more hopeful of prising a young gun out of GWS.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Scollop wrote:
One last thing: Boyd filled a need at the Dogs.
Though not the main need that he was recruited for. Was not succeeding as the main key forward and so Bevo re-invented him as a ruck forward and he seemed to go much better in this more roving role.

The Swans had many strengths, but in the GF their ruck division was not flash. So Boyd was right man, right time, right place in the GF.

My main concern about Fyfe is that it would be a lot of eggs in the one very expensive basket to get him. So I am more hopeful of prising a young gun out of GWS.
Yep exactly right SR. We get a young bloke like a Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield, Coniglio, Devon Smith, for a good price then we would be laughing. Fyfe is a superstar with a badly broken leg he's coming back from. Doesn't mean he won't continue to be a superstar, but recruiting him puts enormous pressure on him and us - only a flag will suffice

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sheil and Kelly. One or 'tother. You know it makes sense!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:fyfe...gun.....chance of getting him...take it. simples

Plus1

bigred
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
White Winmar wrote:No to Fyfe. We've got potential Fyfes on the list. This year will reveal Acres and Gresham as elite. Dunstan too. Stick with our own. As for giving him the captaincy, that would be a disaster. We've got our own. Offer the bont a million. Now you're talking.
The Gresh won't be an elite in 2017.

The Tonestar has stated other clubs will be onto him and will develop ways to stop him during this off season.

Add to that second year blues and I'll make the call now he won't be a superstar until 2018.
Unless....

He is a true superstar that just takes that extra step above the rest of the comp. Which could happen.

And if Fyfe is available you get him. Simple as that. The cheaper the better.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have given this some more thought just now driving in the car.

Ok - I think we all agree - If for some unknown reason (is he best mates with Dylan?) Fyfe decides he really wants to be a Saint and he walks to us a RFA and Freo just take the compo (top 5 pick if they finish low) - obviously we take him. He is clearly a star of the game and would automatically make us top 4 if he is fit.

But if you think about it from a lit mgt perspective I am more inclined to chase Dylan Shiel or Josh Kelly.

This is why.

Who cant we replace if they get injured?

First I thought Roo + Steven.

But now with Roo as permanent wing I think if he goes down then Roberton can shift to the wing and play that role. We clearly have cover down back now with Carlisle & Brown down there as talls (plus Dempster, Gilbo and Coughlan).

Fyfe plays similar to Acres and Steele.

But who can cover for Jack Steven? I would say noone. I think he is now our most important player quite easily. Not just because he is good but because we dont have any similar player who can play in his position.

Fort his reason I think we need a Shiel, Kelly, Joel Garner type next year as our number priority.

(Our trade with the Hawks was so good - even if we have a good year and finish 6th and the Hawks finish 7th. Picks 12 and 13 could allow us to trade up to pick 3).

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

you don't want fyfe as he isn't a good replacement for jack steven?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven is also a spinner, isn't he? Why replace him with Joel Garner? :mrgreen: :roll: :lol:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Cox must have been good to smash the ball down Fyfe's throat when they were on opposing teams.

hitouts shmitouts!

Cox is on record himself that his first priority and what he rates himself on is his tapwork. That was the key performance metric from his mouth.

Only forwards don't rate rucks and get drawn on this fascade of a few kicks around the ground. This is nice to have but secondary.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have given this some more thought just now driving in the car.

Ok - I think we all agree - If for some unknown reason (is he best mates with Dylan?) Fyfe decides he really wants to be a Saint and he walks to us a RFA and Freo just take the compo (top 5 pick if they finish low) - obviously we take him. He is clearly a star of the game and would automatically make us top 4 if he is fit.

But if you think about it from a lit mgt perspective I am more inclined to chase Dylan Shiel or Josh Kelly.

This is why.

Who cant we replace if they get injured?

First I thought Roo + Steven.

But now with Roo as permanent wing I think if he goes down then Roberton can shift to the wing and play that role. We clearly have cover down back now with Carlisle & Brown down there as talls (plus Dempster, Gilbo and Coughlan).

Fyfe plays similar to Acres and Steele.

But who can cover for Jack Steven? I would say noone. I think he is now our most important player quite easily. Not just because he is good but because we dont have any similar player who can play in his position.

Fort his reason I think we need a Shiel, Kelly, Joel Garner type next year as our number priority.

(Our trade with the Hawks was so good - even if we have a good year and finish 6th and the Hawks finish 7th. Picks 12 and 13 could allow us to trade up to pick 3).

Nobody plays similar to Nat Fyfe. He's the best player in the country and unstoppable and untaggable. If he shows next year that his leg is OK and we have a chance to get him then we'd be mad not to.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: But if you think about it from a lit mgt perspective I am more inclined to chase Dylan Shiel or Josh Kelly.
the but to that is they would cost 3 first round draft picks? fyfe none

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

IF Fyfe plays a great year - get him.

Franklin to swans - Minor Flag and 2 GFs how is that bad?
GAblettJnr - Crap admin was always against him. There wl record with him is insane
Judd - took carlton to finals twice. Remember carlton was and is a basketcase
Hall to Sydney flag
Lockett to sydney - basketcase to grand final

We are bot a basketcase. Building a fantastic list. We need star quality no doubt.
If we can keep picks and get fyfe we win flags from 2018 onwards. Its that simple

Im praying the reason he stayed isso we get him as free agent.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: But if you think about it from a lit mgt perspective I am more inclined to chase Dylan Shiel or Josh Kelly.
the but to that is they would cost 3 first round draft picks? fyfe none
Obviously if we get Fyfe for free sure. The odds of that happening are slim.