Intra club - Thurs 16th 5 pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Intra club - Thurs 16th 5 pm

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:. Effectively pick 18. We were going to take him at 5 in any event.
Is that a fact WW? Or speculation.

Live stream very frustrating. Constantly freezing on laptop and mobile.
I couldnt get it to work at all on mobile and thats through 2 different telcos. Thought that my app may not be working, have doubts now, are you with telstra on mobile?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Missed it!! Anyone got a summary?

#1 Ryder fan
Playon
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:Missed it!! Anyone got a summary?
Summary is that there will be a replay on shortly

Playon
Club Player

!st half is up now

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:
mullet wrote:
Goose is king wrote:I think 9 is jack Steele.
Jack Steven isn't playing
dont they mean kobi

Yes they did mean koby but I realised after and couldn't be bothered changing. Nonetheless 9 is Steele
9 was Koby Stevens today. Steele was 38 in the Sandy colours!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Goose is king wrote:
mullet wrote:
dont they mean kobi

Yes they did mean koby but I realised after and couldn't be bothered changing. Nonetheless 9 is Steele
first it was jacks and now it is stevens
I thought 9 was Koby and Steele was 37 or 38 in Sandringham jumper.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Playon
Club Player

38 in Sandy jumper

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Q2 - I wish they would actually commentate the game as its hard to work out who's who

McCartin, Members and Bruce working so well together. McCartin is such a clever player - can set other players up, surprisingly good in general play and just a smart player who knows where to be with great hands. Will be deadly this year if he can stay on the park.

Gresham looks so dangerous forward as they can't get him when he ducks and weaves - he gets players over-committed and if he gets around them they are in trouble

Bilings is playing a kick behind or a kick to the side a lot - a bit like Hird used to do. Its like Richo is letting him use his footy intelligence to anticipate play and place himself where he will be most dangerous. I like it - stops the congestion a bit

Savage playing well. I just wish he was like 5% more accurate with his kicking - he would be elite. He's fast, can switch play with his long kicking. Just misses targets a bit too much for my liking. Roberton a bit like that too - getting stacks of it.

Haven't noticed Carlisle too much. I think its going to take a while for him to get the pace of the game back especially as a big guy. Again probably why Brown was brought in until Jake is up to full capacity again which could take quite a few games of the real stuff.

Newnes done a bit. Steele seems a bit off it but working hard with tackles. Gilbo almost seems pacing himself - dobbed a good goal out on his own.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="kosifantutti"][quote="mullet"][quote="Goose is king"][quote="mullet"][quote="Goose is king"]I think 9 is jack Steele.
Jack Steven isn't playing[/quote]
dont they mean kobi[/quote]

Yes they did mean koby but I realised after and couldn't be bothered changing. Nonetheless 9 is Steele[/quote]

first it was jacks and now it is stevens[/quote]
I thought 9 was Koby and Steele was 37 or 38 in Sandringham jumper.[/quote]

You guys might be right I'm not watching it. I'm going off the teams with numbers on the saints instagram which says Steele is 9.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Early on Ithought Sam Gilbert was our best, but he may have faded. Did Josh Battle play the whole game? McCartin and Bruce need to be on their mettle, with Battle breathing done their necks. Very impressed with him.

The ruck battle was interesting, but I did not have clue who won, except they swapped Billy and Tom around at quarter time, Sandy clearly on top with Billy, then Saints taking over, again with Billy.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:. Effectively pick 18. We were going to take him at 5 in any event.
Is that a fact WW? Or speculation.

Live stream very frustrating. Constantly freezing on laptop and mobile.
It depended on who was still there at 5. Parish, Francis and Gresham were our preferences. Not totally certain of the order, but Jade was certainly on our first line list. Bargain.
Certainly looks like a quality player. Parish and Francis went at #5 and #6 so a bit of a wait for our recruiters to our pick at #18. There's been lots of posts on the forum about our need to top up with elite cream. Is it possible that it's right under our nose on our list already.
Exactly, SB. One we've pinched. Acres, Gresham, Billings, Ross, Carlisle and McCartin. There's our elite base right there. Add Dusty or Fyfe and the picture is complete.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Q3

Billings went quieter that quarter. Will be interesting to see what sort of endurance he is capable of. Paddy just keeps flying for marks and being dangerous. Wright was using his speed to break the lines. Loved seeing Ricey kicking beautifully from the back then run past to get the receive . White too did a nice little line breaking run. Koby started to get into it more. Pierce is developing pretty well. Good competitiveness all over the ground

Armo looks a bit big to me. He seems one of those guys that has to be able to train flat out to keep the weight off- he has the naturally round shape a bit.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A few observations after having attended the game:

Gresh is pure silk
Gilbo was very good. Probably BOG. Very precise kicking too.
Stevens was very good. Played like he wants to be in our first 22 round 1.
Robo was very good basically playing almost as wing for much of the game. Lots of run and dash.
Billings got a fair bit of it and was being used to set up play, mainly playing across half back.
Longer lived up the training reports . Beat Hickey in the tap-outs and did a lot more around the ground than he usually does. So most promising.
Ross. Was very silky today. When he won the ball he was very quick to decide where to dispose of it, and then disposed of it well.
Paddy. Looked almost slim today. Puppy fat is banished. His one grab marking was much in evidence and looks set to have a great year.
Battle. What a game up forward from the youngest player on our list. He knows when and where to get to and was a good mark. I think we have found one here.
Armo. Was thereabouts, but needs to do more than he did in the game today.

Rice playing as a back pocket was very impressive today I thought.
DMak looked good mainly on the wing.
Wright. My god this guy is lightning quick at times.
Dunstan. Busy all game, but lacked the polish of say Ross.
Sinclair I though was classy and steady all game for the yellows. Mainly as a mid,
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 16 Feb 2017 8:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Q4 - bit of the intensity went out of the game on a warm night. The second half they seemed to be directed to lower their eyes a bit and hit up targets more.

Billings set up Lonie beautifully. Battle is a beautiful kick on goal. Our ability to score is looking really, really good. LOnger took a strong mark - great to see.

IF I had an area of concern it is the ability of our midfielders and half-backs to take advantage of our strong forward line by hitting them up regularly. We need Billings, Gresham maybe even Sinclair to come on in that area in our midfield. And guys like White, Rice, Mckenzie to be guys who can run and deliver well from the back.

Still not sure about our backline either. Carlisle looks underdone and rusty. Could take him a big chunk of the start of the season to get cherry ripe.

But these games tend to be pretty scrappy on a windy oval when they are a bit rusty. Apart from McCartin and Billings early, no one could really dominate which shows what we've been saying about good depth and an even list. Lots of option for Richo. But I can't see them being too revolutionary early. Will be pretty much a continuation of last years team I would have thought.

doggerel
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:A few observations after having attended the game:

Gresh is pure silk
Robo was very good basically playing almost as wing for much of the game. Lots of run and dash.
Billings got a fair bit of it and was being used to set up play, mainly playing across half back.
Longer lived up the training reports . Beat Hickey in the tap-outs and did a lot more around the ground than he usually does. So most promising.
Ross. Was very silky today. When he won the ball he was very quick to decide where to dispose of it, and then disposed of it well.
Paddy. Looked almost slim today. Puppy fat is banished. His one grab marking was much in evidence and looks set to have a great year.
Battle. What a game up forward from the youngest player on our list. He knows when and where to get to and was a good mark. I think we have found one here.

Sinclair I though was classy and steady all game for the yellows. Mainly as a mid,
I am with you on all of that SR. I perhaps would sing the praises of DMac a little more, and also give a shout out to Jack Steele who got the ball a fair bit and used it ok.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:A few observations after having attended the game:

Gresh is pure silk

I am with you on all of that SR. I perhaps would sing the praises of DMac a little more, and also give a shout out to Jack Steele who got the ball a fair bit and used it ok.
+1

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes Steele was good at times. I suspect he is still a bit underdone which is not surprising given his injury late last season.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No injuries.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Thought the ball movement looked awesome.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

thanx everyone
... great reading

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the reports people - for those who couldnt watch the 'live stream' is the club going to upload the game does anyone know?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Pwoit wrote:Geez Jade Gresham #4 is going to be a star. He is so clean and evasive. Kick a nice baulking goal 2nd Qtr
You speak the truth, pwoit. He had star written al over him. It is a genuine, "I can't believe he slipped to our pick", Moment. Effectively pick 18. We were going to take him at 5 in any event. Carlisle for free. Gresham will be elite. Been saying it from day one. He won me a coconut on here for correctly calling him as our first pick. Mmmmmmmm, .........coconut Gresham..........
That coconut is still on its way, incidentally

Nee!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I had no problem whatsoever with the live stream (on Optus cable). What I would have liked was a bit more commentary as we didn't have a clue who half the players were with the different numbers (and some the same numbers) that they were wearing.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Pwoit wrote:Geez Jade Gresham #4 is going to be a star. He is so clean and evasive. Kick a nice baulking goal 2nd Qtr
You speak the truth, pwoit. He had star written al over him. It is a genuine, "I can't believe he slipped to our pick", Moment. Effectively pick 18. We were going to take him at 5 in any event. Carlisle for free. Gresham will be elite. Been saying it from day one. He won me a coconut on here for correctly calling him as our first pick. Mmmmmmmm, .........coconut Gresham..........
That coconut is still on its way, incidentally
:D :D :D :)

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

No it was Koby Stevens.