A win

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BonoRocks
Club Player

Re: A win

bergholt wrote:
BonoRocks wrote:to come on here and it's all negative after a win that if we kick straight we win by 15 goals.
If I had ten million bucks I'd take a helicopter to games, but I don't. We keep kicking terribly, at some point it has to be a trend.
They have great effort and high number of scoring shots. Let's hope their trend stops. Won't be for lack of effort.

Freebird
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
BonoRocks wrote:This website has become such a p1ssing contest. So much negativity. So many keyboard experts. Life isn't perfect we won let's see how we develop as the year goes on.
So when we perform poorly, do you get more or less confident that we're on the right track?

Personally, I get less confident, but that's just me. Maybe you like seeing poor performances because it gives you faith that this group might win a flag one day?
That's not what he said or inferred - you're just proving his point

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I feel like we are a bunch of good ordinary players. We'll make the finals over the course of the next few seasons but we'll never do much damage...certainly won't win the big one.
Shame but that's how it looks. To win the big dance you need elite talent and I just don't see it in our team.

Gresh could get there. Acres too. Who else? Seriously who? Ross?

Dunno maybe a bit harsh but compare that to the talent the dogs, gws, etc have and where are we? Basically Richmond

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Tony

For 2 quarters, against possible wooden spooners, an interstate team on our home deck we were beaten easily for two qtrs

Average performance, we were lucky brisbane never had the fire power to take advantage of their midfield and HB dominance
Ffs their key forwards were both second year players
At half time
Beams, Rockliff, Rich, Zorko had over 80 between them
Our leading possession winners
Roo 34 on a wing with 16
Joey 33 off HB with 15

Our conversion was appalling again and really...

Yes we won... but didn't play well for over half the game against inferior opponents
Those "inferior" opponents beat the suns who just a little while ago slaughtered the hawks.

It is all relative.

Sure we didnt play well all game but we had 37 scoring shots.

Could have..should have ....won by 10 goals.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 09 Apr 2017 10:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do we look like the Kangaroos of recent times

Cunnington, Zeibell, Swallow... etc

Good ordinary players

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BonoRocks wrote:to come on here and it's all negative after a win that if we kick straight we win by 15 goals.
If I had ten million bucks I'd take a helicopter to games, but I don't. We keep kicking terribly, at some point it has to be a trend.
I'm happy to give you a loft in mine, Bergholt.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saints66
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Happy to get the 4 points, albeit an underwhelming performance....we're travelling better than Hawthorn and Sydney...
why compare ourselves with Hawthorn, we want them to come last

saints66
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:I feel like we are a bunch of good ordinary players. We'll make the finals over the course of the next few seasons but we'll never do much damage...certainly won't win the big one.
Shame but that's how it looks. To win the big dance you need elite talent and I just don't see it in our team.

Dunno maybe a bit harsh but compare that to the talent the dogs, gws, etc have and where are we? Basically Richmond
all premiership teams need GOP to win the big one. That was our problem in 2010 because we had no backup.

we can pick up elite talent but it is a worry we are not developing our own

saints66
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:I feel like we are a bunch of good ordinary players. We'll make the finals over the course of the next few seasons but we'll never do much damage...certainly won't win the big one.

all premiership teams need GOP to win the big one. That was our problem in 2010 because we had no backup.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:it's just a game- But I love it
and a Win is to be savoured--- I still remember the years of very few

But given we could be coping with differant situations if someone somewhere else in the world pushes the wrong button or misfires

I will just enjoy each win
A gem.
Yep. A happy supporter telling it like it is, that's our bratty, god bless her

The missus said before that she thought the saintsational forumites would be happy tonight.

'Fraid not I replied. Just their normal miserable critical selves.

She sounded surprised. I kid you not.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely spot on Saynta. If Saintsational had been around in 66 the place would have gone into meltdown when Bob Murray kicked a drop kick with 10 seconds to go! :D :D :D

Enjoy the win everyone.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

saints66 wrote:

That was North Melbourne's model - brought in Dal, Higgins, Waite - didn't work for them.
We aren't going to attract Martin, Fyfe and other elite talent, just fringe dwellers and average guys chasing the big pay packet.

Need to get it right at the draft , and so far a combination of weak drafts and average selections have scuttled our recent picks 1 & 3. Need to make our 2 x top 10 picks count this year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Absolutely spot on Saynta. If Saintsational had been around in 66 the place would have gone into meltdown when Bob Murray kicked a drop kick with 10 seconds to go! :D :D :D

Enjoy the win everyone.
Tone,

Remember we perhaps overinflated our tyres after the JLT's.

We've had several years of Siberian winter and then the kick in the guts with Footscray
winning the flag.

Methinks we are, as a supporter bunch, a bit desperado like for success which includes
making the finals this year.

I know patience is a virtue, but the heart and head aren't always aligned.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

1897 comp begins...1913, 1965, 1966, 1971, 1997, 2009, 2010.

That's an average wait of 16 years between grand finals.
An average that's been halved in the AFL era. So patience.
Just a couple more years! :shock:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

BonoRocks wrote:
BigMart wrote:So we can only say glowing things?

Sounds like big footy where everything is like that lego movie song.... except our ladder position

We come here to discuss and analyse... don't we?

Consensus is, we are not performing... should we bulls*** ourselves into thinking otherwise????

Maybe lower our expectations to the level of the 80s where we celebrated wins like premierships and were a laughing stock

If it's alright with you sir, I'll say it exactly how it is, not how I want it to be....
Say what you like mate as you do. I actually like reading your posts, generally great inside and footy smart. But we won and life isn't perfect what people seem to expect. to come on here and it's all negative after a win that if we kick straight we win by 15 goals. It's like seriously cheer up people. Let's talk who played well rather than the other. Save that for the losses. If everyone is right we'll have a few lol.
Ahh we've kicked poorly EVERY game this year. I'm not sure that we can use that excuse. This week wasn't an aberration, it's the norm for the time being. It's reflective of our skills at the moment and what seems to be the confidence of the group. BigMart is unfortunately spot on. We played poorly today against a bunch of kids and lowly rated AFL players. Our best two players should be the support act. The supposed new generation of stars coming through, right now, are not coming through. Paddy, Billings - our two best draft picks in years have so far been very underwhelming. Always good to win, but these last few weeks have been a huge reality check for where we're actually at. Right now, we're a bottom 4 team I reckon.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Posters are mentioning the heat the Sainters played in last week in WA and how it may have sapped energy levels, and could have had a negative impact on Saints this week. I was there sitting in that sun and it was bleeding hot for the first half of the game.

Many posters are forgetting also the energy sapping game Saints played in week 1 against the Melbourne under the closed roof at Etihad when it was 32 degrees. I can recall, posters on this site saying that the humidity at that game was unbearable, and they were only sitting in the stands, not running around the oval playing the game.

So our team has had 2 matches in a row under very hot weather conditions, plus the travel factor (note Eagles didn't win this week). Maybe the fatigue factor/lack of concentration in parts of the game could be considered little more by some posters, on why some players 'go missing' or drop off in intensity? IMHO, it must be difficult for our conditioning team getting them all up and firing after 2 gruelling matches in hot, humid weather.

So I'll enjoy the win......... just wish we could be more accurate with shots on goal, that's my whinge - not the effort, not the game plan!

CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:it's just a game- But I love it
and a Win is to be savoured--- I still remember the years of very few

But given we could be coping with differant situations if someone somewhere else in the world pushes the wrong button or misfires

I will just enjoy each win
+1

suss
Club Player

loris wrote:Posters are mentioning the heat the Sainters played in last week in WA and how it may have sapped energy levels, and could have had a negative impact on Saints this week. I was there sitting in that sun and it was bleeding hot for the first half of the game.

Many posters are forgetting also the energy sapping game Saints played in week 1 against the Melbourne under the closed roof at Etihad when it was 32 degrees. I can recall, posters on this site saying that the humidity at that game was unbearable, and they were only sitting in the stands, not running around the oval playing the game.

So our team has had 2 matches in a row under very hot weather conditions, plus the travel factor (note Eagles didn't win this week). Maybe the fatigue factor/lack of concentration in parts of the game could be considered little more by some posters, on why some players 'go missing' or drop off in intensity? IMHO, it must be difficult for our conditioning team getting them all up and firing after 2 gruelling matches in hot, humid weather.

So I'll enjoy the win......... just wish we could be more accurate with shots on goal, that's my whinge - not the effort, not the game plan!
Spot on I reckon. Last week was a tough game on many fronts. Getting the win today, even ugly, was the most important thing.

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

White Winmar wrote:
bergholt wrote:If I had ten million bucks I'd take a helicopter to games, but I don't.
I'm happy to give you a loft in mine, Bergholt.
ffs, i'm impressed mate! i'd never flowering thought to do that. i'm gonna put one in mine too. :mrgreen:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Considering we had doubts over some very good players being able to get up for the match this week, I'll take the 4 points and move on. Things have not fallen our way so far, but we have still managed to get to 1-2, and that was always the possible situation at season's start. If we can get Steven, Stevens & Armo back in the coming weeks we can start to build, and they cannot keep missing goals forever. It will start to click and once we begin nailing the opportunities we generate that changes the game and the mindset of both our players and the opposition.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. At this stage I don't think the reigning premiers are in the eight, so maybe we just settle a bit......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
bergholt wrote:
BonoRocks wrote:This website has become such a p1ssing contest. So much negativity. So many keyboard experts. Life isn't perfect we won let's see how we develop as the year goes on.
So when we perform poorly, do you get more or less confident that we're on the right track?

Personally, I get less confident, but that's just me. Maybe you like seeing poor performances because it gives you faith that this group might win a flag one day?
No, my point is that I'm not an expert, I'm just an ordinary supporter. So I can't really see Acres' elite potential, I don't understand why it makes sense to lose a midfielder and bring in a tall forward, and I'm not patient enough to believe that Paddy is still a few long years away from top form. All I can do is judge on what's in front of me, which is that most of our kids look like battlers not stars, our best players are still our oldest ones, and we're not winning games we hope to win.

twirlyhair
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Tony

For 2 quarters, against possible wooden spooners, an interstate team on our home deck we were beaten easily for two qtrs

Average performance, we were lucky brisbane never had the fire power to take advantage of their midfield and HB dominance
Ffs their key forwards were both second year players
At half time
Beams, Rockliff, Rich, Zorko had over 80 between them
Our leading possession winners
Roo 34 on a wing with 16
Joey 33 off HB with 15

Our conversion was appalling again and really...

Yes we won... but didn't play well for over half the game against inferior opponents
Oh big Marty boy. Come on now. A win in which we travelled back from an exhausting game in Perth, without two key midfielders, with a number of players down in form, but we still dominate the scoreboard and would have won by close to 10 goals if we had kicked straight. Lets wait until around round 8-9 or even later than that before we start the doomsday theories please.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Winning ugly is still winning.
got us to 3 grand finals

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Freebird wrote:
bergholt wrote:

No, my point is that I'm not an expert, I'm just an ordinary supporter. So I can't really see Acres' elite potential, I don't understand why it makes sense to lose a midfielder and bring in a tall forward, and I'm not patient enough to believe that Paddy is still a few long years away from top form. All I can do is judge on what's in front of me, which is that most of our kids look like battlers not stars, our best players are still our oldest ones, and we're not winning games we hope to win.

This is a really fair post.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Jack Steele and Blake Acres are very good... Gresham is a star.. I am waiting for a look at at Ben Long and Koby Stevens there is some decent talent still to come in and let's not forget Jack Steven and David Armitage to come back.
I'm waiting for a look at our 2017 number one draft pick compliments of Hawthorn.
He is going to be an elite superstar.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.