David King, draft genius

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Re: David King, draft genius

Class Bloke. Didn't he beat up the owner of a souvlaki stand after a late night drinking binge during his playing days.

He also got alot of grief in 2003 for costing North a game against us. There were only seconds to go and he had the ball on the boundary line. Instead of kicking down the line, he centred the ball, it was intercepted, rushed down the field and we kicked the winning goal.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Vazelos
Club Player

Do you need an IQ test to go on SEN?!!
What an imbecile!!!

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

It is like an Abbot and Costello routine.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint: thank you sir! You've just brought a smile to my dial at THAT memory! I was at that game, level one, row A , at the Lockett end. Norf were "finals-bound" and came into the match as odds-on favourites. The Saints blew them away in a massive 1st quarter, (7goals if memory serves me correctly) Laidley was an absolute basket case that day, even becoming involved in an unsavoury exchange with a North fan on his way to the 1/4 time huddle, they were RATTLED! To their credit, North did come back in the second half and as our boys tired, snatched a five point lead with only minutes to go. Burkey ( of all people) turned the ball over which resulted in knobhead (King) getting the ball, his kick was intercepted, a kick to Sammy Hamill who handballed to Harves, who took off at pace, a couple of bounces, then........... GTrain! A mark inside fifty! Back goes the big man....BANG! Pandemonium! 20 seconds or so later....YES! We win! In my humble opinion, that result was THE breakout game of our young 2003-07 side! To have absolutely PASTED a final-bound side in the first half, only to lose the lead late in the game, and then show the character to come back and win at the death, was really pleasing. I believe that we only lost one more game that season (a close one at Geelong) I guess, I should have the good grace to thank knobhead King for his role in setting up the winning goal!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saint3d
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:Do you need an IQ test to go on SEN?!!
What an imbecile!!!
Whatever test SEN applies, David King passes it and Grant Thomas does not.

I think there's something in that for all of us.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Agreed!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before.

There's audio as well but too difficult on my phone.

Thanks Kosifantutti! This post is mine over on bigfooty! Same username too.

I'm finally part of the exclusive club where my posts/thoughts on one forum spill over to another! Bam!

Proud day. :mrgreen:

I've paraphrased the convo but that's pretty much how the convo went. Love Huddo, he has balls to stand up to others when they talk sh1t.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's just dumb... it's not really a vendetta.

Just not bright, and has to comment... so often what he says is ridiculous

Yep this was my opinion too. I came across as just dumb.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:King is a dead set Flogga!!'
Yep, my thought exactly. The guys at my gym think he is a genius but they are not to bright themselves.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Not sure if this has been posted before.

There's audio as well but too difficult on my phone.

Thanks Kosifantutti! This post is mine over on bigfooty! Same username too.

I'm finally part of the exclusive club where my posts/thoughts on one forum spill over to another! Bam!

Proud day. :mrgreen:

I've paraphrased the convo but that's pretty much how the convo went. Love Huddo, he has balls to stand up to others when they talk sh1t.
I have stuck it on a few saints Facebook pages as well. This fraud should be exposed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:We all know he's pretty thick but is it a Saints fan perception that he hates St.Kilda?
If so why would he hate St Kilda more than any other club.
97 Prelim final in the wet?
When our Burkey and Cook busted McKernan's shoulder?
Yep. Got us into the grannie.

Happened on the boundary.

suss
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Selhurst Saint: thank you sir! You've just brought a smile to my dial at THAT memory! I was at that game, level one, row A , at the Lockett end. Norf were "finals-bound" and came into the match as odds-on favourites. The Saints blew them away in a massive 1st quarter, (7goals if memory serves me correctly) Laidley was an absolute basket case that day, even becoming involved in an unsavoury exchange with a North fan on his way to the 1/4 time huddle, they were RATTLED! To their credit, North did come back in the second half and as our boys tired, snatched a five point lead with only minutes to go. Burkey ( of all people) turned the ball over which resulted in knobhead (King) getting the ball, his kick was intercepted, a kick to Sammy Hamill who handballed to Harves, who took off at pace, a couple of bounces, then........... GTrain! A mark inside fifty! Back goes the big man....BANG! Pandemonium! 20 seconds or so later....YES! We win! In my humble opinion, that result was THE breakout game of our young 2003-07 side! To have absolutely PASTED a final-bound side in the first half, only to lose the lead late in the game, and then show the character to come back and win at the death, was really pleasing. I believe that we only lost one more game that season (a close one at Geelong) I guess, I should have the good grace to thank knobhead King for his role in setting up the winning goal!
There's footage on YouTube of the play. Kosi marked it, handball to Aussie jones, kick to Hamill, then Harvs and finally the big g train ...awesome piece of play!

I forgot how good Harvard looked tearing through the middle of a footy oval ... **** he was good.

suss
Club Player

In fact, here it is ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXSA5dU9tA

Enjoy!! :D

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to set up a "commentator watch", similar to media watch, in which all these so called experts had their howlers exposed. You're allowed to be wrong in your opinions. You can't get it right all the time, but this is a typical howler that comes from laziness, lack of research, or just straight out stupidity. With King, it's probably all three! It's so easy for ex players to become instant experts. Like the Jiggster, I think the best commentators seem to come from the ranks of the ex coaches. They have a far deeper understanding of the game and have a different view borne of experience.

Leigh Matthews is a good example. Is there anything that bloke's not good at? As Yabby used to say, that bloke is capable of anything he puts his mind to. Thank god football found him before trouble did. The only bloke who genuinely frightened the old yabbster. And Yabby wasn't a man who was easily intimidated.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
I forgot how good Harvard looked tearing through the middle of a footy oval ... **** he was good.

He was over the hill by then too!

Do yourself a favour and try to get your hands on some footage of 97 or 98. Unbelievable.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I'd love to set up a "commentator watch", similar to media watch, in which all these so called experts had their howlers exposed. You're allowed to be wrong in your opinions. You can't get it right all the time, but this is a typical howler that comes from laziness, lack of research, or just straight out stupidity. With King, it's probably all three! It's so easy for ex players to become instant experts. Like the Jiggster, I think the best commentators seem to come from the ranks of the ex coaches. They have a far deeper understanding of the game and have a different view borne of experience.

Leigh Matthews is a good example. Is there anything that bloke's not good at? As Yabby used to say, that bloke is capable of anything he puts his mind to. Thank god football found him before trouble did. The only bloke who genuinely frightened the old yabbster. And Yabby wasn't a man who was easily intimidated.

Have to agree with you there.

I was watching footy classified a couple of weeks ago,

That bald headed fool, Hutchy said that the saints made a big mistake picking Paddy over the Bont.

No one, absolutely no-one on the show picked the clown up for it.

NFI, the lot of 'em.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
suss wrote:

He was over the hill by then too!

Do yourself a favour and try to get your hands on some footage of 97 or 98. Unbelievable.
And tore it up for another five years after that. If only he'd played on in 2009, I'm sure we would've saluted. An absolute freak. Consistently underrated in the media. They always banged on about Hird, Buckley and Voss, never mentioning the best of all, Robert Quentin Xavier Harvey esq.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Hated King since I saw him punch Rob Harvey in the kidney at a boundary throw-in. Absolute coward act. Spider saw it and went after him.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

suss wrote:In fact, here it is ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXSA5dU9tA

Enjoy!! :D
Wow. That was so exciting to watch. Great memories of some great players.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:We all know he's pretty thick but is it a Saints fan perception that he hates St.Kilda?
If so why would he hate St Kilda more than any other club.
97 Prelim final in the wet?
When our Burkey and Cook busted McKernan's shoulder?
That'd be Burkey and Max Hudgton, they destroyed poor McKernan with one tackle.

saint64
Club Player

Hard to tell from the footage but from memory it was actually Joey that marked King's kick

ace
Saintsational Legend

Huddo understood what happened in the trade and the draft.
He put that facts on the table, that made King look like a fool.
King chose to try to bluster his way out instead of admitting he was wrong.
The fact is we got Carlisle and Gresham for the picks we traded.

We traded out picks 5 and 24 before the draft.
Carlisle and Gresham as reward.
In the course of the draft those two picks 6 and 29 became due to academy queue jumping.
Essendon used both those picks in the draft.
Pick 6 on Aaron Francis and pick 29 on Alex Morgan.
Last edited by ace on Wed 03 May 2017 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It is just part of the buffoonery that goes with footy shows as far back as I can remember.

King plays his part as the clueless idiot and Huddo is the modifier.

Look at the old B&W footy shows; it's the same thing, over and over.

It's manufactured entertainment and it keeps us talking about it, which we do, and it keeps us coming back for more, which we do.
Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 03 May 2017 2:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Exactly, SP.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Exactly, SP.
It's irrelevant if you're a lover or hater; they go together and it is part of the spectacle. All they care about is that you are a spectator.

It's how popular culture works.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.