Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

It's been mentioned in other places, but apparently we're looking at Michael Talia
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-05/s ... swan-talia

We have a thing for the players with white line fever :lol:

saint-stu
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:That all seems very sensible. In the end, all the speculation from Jaxons and others on here amounts to nothing. All that matters is what we get. No one can accurately predict what that will be because things can change at the last minute. Laverde, Trout's love child was signed sealed and delivered last year. What he and his management were up to was playing the saints off against the dopers. In the end, Laverde got what he wanted. A contract boost and extra bucks. Such is the nature of the game. So don't anticipate anything, no matter what trusted sources tell you. It ain't over until it's over.
I think everyone understands that deals fall through. But I'd still rather know who were targeting and who were no chance of getting (or just not interested in). Like Devon Smith for example. Sounds very unlikely for us, but good to know we're giving it a crack.

1ac46a38
takeaway
Club Player

Good to see that Ameet has followed Jaxons and said he is quite comfortable in taking 7 & 8 to the draft

shrodes
SS Life Member

Looks like we have missed out on Devon Smith. Has nominated Essendon.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-05/b ... evon-smith

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote:Good to see that Ameet has followed Jaxons and said he is quite comfortable in taking 7 & 8 to the draft
Not sure it is good or not.

Unfortunately in Player Acquisition the Saint's look to be the Seagulls. ie we look at pouncing at scraps that are left over rather than bagging exactly what we need.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
takeaway
Club Player

I would still think using 7 & 8 at the draft is the fall back option (and still a very good one to have). Could still trade up higher in the draft, or use the picks once the merry go round of player movements starts to happen next week.
Going to be interesting, a lot of options open.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Looks like we have missed out on Devon Smith. Has nominated Essendon.

Must have been their superior rehab program *cough*

Grrrrr
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
takeaway wrote:Good to see that Ameet has followed Jaxons and said he is quite comfortable in taking 7 & 8 to the draft

Unfortunately in Player Acquisition the Saint's look to be the Seagulls. ie we look at pouncing at scraps that are left over rather than bagging exactly what we need.
Well Seagulls and Saints go hand in hand :lol:

"The team name was originally associated with the Seagull in the early years of the club, while a brief attempt was made to name the team 'The Panthers.' However, the name Saints was usually used to described the club, and eventually it became the official nickname of the club"

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

couple of things.
we have been extremely active in past periods with the acquisition of players - steele, carlisle etc so i am surprised on the seagull call feels somewhat short sighted.

which big fish have gone to other clubs? i mean devon smith? really? who cares. the bloke is a small forward who has struggled to get on the park.

finally, trade week is yet to officially start so let's not make a call too early.

#1 Ryder fan
happy feet
Club Player

It's early days yet, but I worry that the stories about the Club in the Butterrs period and pushed by Eddie McGuire were a strategy to make us look unappealing to any young star that might have wanted to come to the Club. Massive conflict of interest ignored by the AFL that has damaged us.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

It's not our reputation. I spoke to a young bloke who's on another club's list and is looking to move. The saints are seen as a club going backwards, not forwards. He said bottom four, like Norf. That's the problem, the perception we are shyte. I don't agree with his assessment, but that is the consensus among the player managers. As Happy feet said, the consensus is we're unappealing. Whether that's right or wrong is in the eye of the beholder. The current trade period activity would indicate his mail is right.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

It's not our reputation. I spoke to a young bloke who's on another club's list and is looking to move. The saints are seen as a club going backwards, not forwards. He said bottom four, like Norf. That's the problem, the perception we are shyte. I don't agree with his assessment, but that is the consensus among the player managers. As Happy feet said, the consensus is we're unappealing. Whether that's right or wrong is in the eye of the beholder. The current trade period activity would indicate his mail is right.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:It's not our reputation. I spoke to a young bloke who's on another club's list and is looking to move. The saints are seen as a club going backwards, not forwards. He said bottom four, like Norf. That's the problem, the perception we are shyte. I don't agree with his assessment, but that is the consensus among the player managers. As Happy feet said, the consensus is we're unappealing. Whether that's right or wrong is in the eye of the beholder. The current trade period activity would indicate his mail is right.
If you look at our last two months of footy then it is cold hard reality.
I still can't get my head around the efforts we put in versus Essendon and Melbourne.
What good player would want to be part of that?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:The current trade period activity would indicate his mail is right.
Its not the trade period yet, there is no activity.

Essendon and Giants still have to cut a deal too...I'm sure GWS are as giddy as a schoolgirl over that prospect.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If you look at our last two months of footy then it is cold hard reality.
I still can't get my head around the efforts we put in versus Essendon and Melbourne.
What good player would want to be part of that?
Certainly didn't help our cause at all...imagine how much Josh Kelly laughed at the thought of joining us or North during that period!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

couple of things.
we have been extremely active in past periods with the acquisition of players - steele, carlisle etc so i am surprised on the seagull call feels somewhat short sighted.

which big fish have gone to other clubs? i mean devon smith? really? who cares. the bloke is a small forward who has struggled to get on the park.

finally, trade week is yet to officially start so let's not make a call too early.
In the post you reference, I was commenting on this years approach So past years are irrelevant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Our VFL team performance probably not helping us either.
But heck.
Things can turn around quickly but we need to be smart.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
No activity???? Lever nominating Dees, Rocky the Power, Stringer and Smith the Dons, Ablett the Cats etc etc.

No club waits till the trade period officially starts, and the Saints have not either. It is just so far that we have struck out.
ie Bains this morning confirming that we had already sounded out players like Gaff.

Hopefully our luck changes. But we are not viewed as a Destination Club and that hurts who we can get. We seem to be mainly restricted to those seeking opportunity after being squeezed out or not getting their preferred role and if their are other suitors we also seem to be the one not preferred.

Currently I expect that we will get another squeezed out player or two ( Steele like player if we are lucky) and that we will use our first two picks in the draft. Maybe one of those picks will be traded,but the ranks of players worthy of such a pick seem to be getting thinner and thinner.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 05 Oct 2017 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:It's not our reputation. I spoke to a young bloke who's on another club's list and is looking to move. The saints are seen as a club going backwards, not forwards. He said bottom four, like Norf. That's the problem, the perception we are shyte. I don't agree with his assessment, but that is the consensus among the player managers. As Happy feet said, the consensus is we're unappealing. Whether that's right or wrong is in the eye of the beholder. The current trade period activity would indicate his mail is right.
I wondered how players on the move would be attracted to the Saints- we ended the season poorly, got a few floggings and went backwards on the ladder, and Richo's stats as a coach put him near the bottom compared to the rest.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
degruch wrote:
No activity???? Lever nominating Dees, Rocky the Power, Stringer and Smith the Dons, Ablett the Cats etc etc.

No club wait till the trade period officially starts.
ie Bains this morning confirming that we had already sounded out players like Gaff.
Of course we have, but all the announcements mean squat really, they only flag intention. Its how they get done, the waves they make, that is the real activity.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:...and Richo's stats as a coach put him near the bottom compared to the rest.
...and to rub salt into the wounds, Richmond take his game plan to the finals, execute it 300% better, and come home with a tin cup.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
degruch wrote:

No club wait till the trade period officially starts.
Of course we have, but all the announcements mean squat really, they only flag intention. Its how they get done, the waves they make, that is the real activity.

Well IMO the critical thing is a player choosing a club. Once that is done, normally a deal will get done if it is drags out a while. Sometimes as with Gibbs it does not, but in the main it does.

So IMO Lever will be a Dee, Stringer and Smith will be Dons.

Ablett I think will be a Cat, but the fact that the Suns have largely already paid Gablett for the 2018 year is a sticcking point.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

It happens quite regularly every year...Gibbs and Ablett last year, Mitch Brown never made it to the Saints, o'Keefe (?) from the Swans never made it to Carlton and Mitch Clarke never became a Docker. It's rare that you get a case like Lever where he won't take any other club other than the one they nominate. It does mean that they've already been widely canvased and interviewed though, but this time of year is not the be all end all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Looks like we have missed out on Devon Smith. Has nominated Essendon.

Good. As Nicky Dal said, the saints don't need anymore short asrsed, inside mid hffers

jimmy_slats
Club Player

their about to talk about a very big player the saints are into after the add break on trade radio lets see whos been closest to the pin...

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'