Other Round 2 Results

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Other Round 2 Results

Well GC flogged Carlton in Melbourne.

That rabble Collingwood ran GWS close.

Oh, look Freo coached by (an idiot in the eyes of some) Rossy Lyon, did a good job on Essendon.

...and the Mighty Demons who many envy so much accounted for Brisbane by 26 points. Bugger me, why does 26 points ring a bell? Oh, that's what we defeated Brisbane by in our disastrous opening game! Exactly the same margin.

Its gonna be a really even season, we may have been just off the boil Friday and that's enough.

A little perspective, the next three weeks will provide more clarity.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Other Round 2 Results

North have owned us since 2012 and despite them finishing bottom two last year and coming off a 6 day break in water-logged Cairns, they still flogged us.

The only accurate perspective, we’re a bad football team in serious trouble.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
santazzi
Club Player

looking at "other results" sure puts depressing events in perspective. I had thought stk v nm was the most depressing sporting display for a long time until I just checked the cricket score board of Au V south africa. This is not going to be a happy year for me...

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:North have owned us since 2012 and despite them finishing bottom two last year and coming off a 6 day break in water-logged Cairns, they still flogged us.

The only accurate perspective, we’re a bad football team in serious trouble.
I feel that 'Good Friday' was Norths Grand Final - they put it up - they fought for it - they want to own the day - they were revved up at half time where we were not - Season not over - but f@rk me it was a pathetic effort

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
philtee
Club Player

I recall a match in July last year when Richmond were embarrassed by a lowly side - The Tigers beaten by 67 points, made to look second-rate, its stars all having shockers, kicking just one goal in the first half, premiership campaign in tatters etc. And then they went to win the flag ! And who was the super-slick side that beat them on that day in July? It was the almighty Saints, who were lauded as flag hopes (only to put in a shocker the following week against Essendon).
Moral 1 - In the current state of the competition, crushing defeats happen to the best of teams, almost out of the blue. It'll happen once in a while.
Moral 2 - You don't want to make a habit out of it.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm not letting the team off the hook quite that easily. The other teams you are talking about didn't turn the ball over 40 times in their defensive half of the ground, or only have 40 inside 50s against a team which finished second last last year. If North had kicked straight that game would have been over in the second quarter as so, so many games have been since 2013. The last quarter where sides kick multiples of 6 goals or more unanswered is an exact replica of dozens of games I have seen us play since 2013 and nothing has been done to remedy this.
Without Roo, Joey and Shinna there was always going to be a period of readjustment, especially as Gilbert is not out there either, but it would be wrong to dismiss what happened on Friday as an aberration. It is, and has been, the norm for five seasons. I remember 1997, we lost four out of the first five games, two of which were absolute beltings, when we went on to finish on top of the ladder for the first time since 1965, and play off in a Grand Final for the first time since 1971, but I also remember a lot of crisis meetings and Stan Alves nearly resigning at the time, such was the fallout. Incidently, he went on to become Coach of the Year that very year.
I noticed that Richo and Geary cancelled the player's 2 day leave and got the players in for a session yesterday morning. That's a good start.
I'll give you a proverb for your Easter Sunday - Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it.
Redemption begins Saturday night. Actions speak louder than words.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
GSG
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: I remember 1997, we lost four out of the first five games, two of which were absolute beltings, when we went on to finish on top of the ladder for the first time since 1965, and play off in a Grand Final for the first time since 1971, but I also remember a lot of crisis meetings and Stan Alves nearly resigning at the time, such was the fallout. Incidently, he went on to become Coach of the Year that very year.
I noticed that Richo and Geary cancelled the player's 2 day leave and got the players in for a session yesterday morning. That's a good start.
I'll give you a proverb for your Easter Sunday - Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it.
Redemption begins Saturday night. Actions speak louder than words.
As with everybody here on this forum, I was disgusted and immensely disappointed after last Friday’s game and, I must admit, don’t look forward to the rest of the season. BUT I do think it’s a tad early to throw the towel in.
Remember the Richmond supporters during Damien Hardwick’s early coaching years. They were baying for his head their squealing could be heard from Punt Road to Portsea.
And didn’t Kennet want to sack Allister Clerkson at one stage.
They might not make the eight, but they just may not be that bad either.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freo have got a truck load of young talent.
Lyon had to be dragged kicking and screaming but the penny has dropped for him and he is going down the path with the kids.
Took him a while to drop Pearce, Sutcliffe, Suban, Ibbotson, etc etc but now he gets it. They look good.
Still have Mason Cox, Tucker and Logue developing at Peel.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 01 Apr 2018 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo have got a truck load of young talent.
Lyon had to be dragged kicking and screaming but the penny has dropped for him and he is going down the path with the kids.
Took him a while to drop Pearce, Sutcliffe, Suban, Ibbotson, etc etc but now he gets it. They look good.
Still have Mason Cox, Tucker and Logue developing at Peel.
Don't worry Bennell will be back soon to "look after" all the young guys!
Not sure if I prefer Lyon at the bottom of the ladder or failing on GF day :twisted:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Interesting results...the Suns have come along very well in a short period of time, and benefited from some very handy recruits that all literally fell in their lap! Dew is the man for them, and probably for us, had we had a chance. Most surprising for me was the Giants struggling against the Pies, who were two players down during the game, adding to an already huge injury list. Gutsy effort from the Pies, who like us the last few seasons, lacked the polish to finish the game to their advantage. A young Freo dusted off a young Essendon at home, seemed to go as expected.

As for us, I'm with Samurai Saint...I can't give the team an inch. I know this has been gone over a few times, but I hate to think anyone would write this off as a hiccup. IMO North absolutely did not play their GF, they looked like a bottom 2 team that turned up hoping for an honourable loss. In the first half of footy we couldn't have made life any harder for ourselves in the back line, with blind, handball happy panic besetting everyone...North never got a chance to apply any pressure, we were do busy doing that ourselves. If we got a clear possession we kicked it straight to a Roo, who often couldn't believe their luck, converting the turnover to a point instantly. Over 70% of their scores came from our turnovers. This painful armwrestle of ineptitude continued for an entire half of footy before the game opened up, after our mids, seemingly oblivious to our lack of ruck ascendancy, failed to provide any form of defensive pressure whatsoever. NONE of our key forwards kicked a goal. I missed the last few minutes, but from what I saw, only one of them even took a mark inside our F50...against one of the worst defences in the comp...that's diabolical!

We were playing a marquee game against a development team, coming off a interstate physical game and a short break, on our own dung heap, and we got absolutely thumped...there's no possible comparison that could make me feel any better. This was a crushing defeat of ourselves...rubbing salt into the wounds, the team has been doing some kind of feel-goody 'I got your back, bro' handshake and stare BS before the game, which is crap, and obviously something the players do not subscribe to in the least...who had anyone's back on Friday? I saw Clark go in against 3 North players twice, getting pinged holding the ball both times, while his older team mates couldn't even lay a shepard! The result was 100% deserved of the 'crisis' meeting we had the next day, and I really hope a few guys have woken up.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

My OP is not intended to excuse the Saints.

Today the Bulldogs are getting flogged again, by West Coast who are notoriously bad travellers. Go figure. Probably not a good thing, because it would have done no harm to have the blowtorch on us for a week. So does that mean Beveridge cannot coach?

As I asserted its going to be another weird and very even season, no game will be a given and if a team is slightly off they will get done.