Petracca v Paddy put to rest

St. Paul

Re: Petracca v Paddy put to rest

The_Dud wrote:Put Paddy in any top team right now and he kicks 50-60 goals a season. Josh Kennedy would struggle to kick a score in our forward line at the moment.
Plugger would struggle to kick a goal in that team. Paddy's development has been cruelled by his diabetes, concussions, a terrible forward structure, poor management by the coaches and shocking delivery. Apart from all that he's in the best of hands. :roll:

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."

St. Paul wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Put Paddy in any top team right now and he kicks 50-60 goals a season. Josh Kennedy would struggle to kick a score in our forward line at the moment.
Plugger would struggle to kick a goal in that team. Paddy's development has been cruelled by his diabetes, concussions, a terrible forward structure, poor management by the coaches and shocking delivery. Apart from all that he's in the best of hands. :roll:
Would have thought, you were too young to really remember Plugger in he's peak????? :wink:

Why so much argument about Paddy & Petracca. I'm pretty sure Carlton's Patrick Cripps was about #9 in that draft, how come his name is never mentioned in this discussion?

SuperDuper

Toy Saint wrote:Why so much argument about Paddy & Petracca. I'm pretty sure Carlton's Patrick Cripps was about #9 in that draft, how come his name is never mentioned in this discussion?
wrong draft

Furphy

"When a dog bites a man, that is not news, because it happens so often. But if a man bites a dog, that is news."

Scollop wrote:Circumstantial evidence your honour ( regarding whether the dog bite is not the real cause). You normally get a judgement on these things on who is the better draft pick at the the end of their careers. It's not a sprint- it's a marathon and I'd say that Petracca is still slightly in front. I think he's been a contributor to his teams' wins on more occasions than Paddy

I think the jury is taking mental notes, and if the prosecution has better spelling that would strenthen your argument ;)
Agree whole heartedly but I wasn't aware of the Pysch test failings. People do grow up and eventually realise they are not a God to the team so I expect he will feel that soon if he finds relegated in a team aspiring to finals.

However we have continually neglected to build our midfield, until the last couple of years, with players who could crash a pack, run forward and kick goals. We have preferred small forwards who do some good things but don't work well or disciplined within key forward structure IMHO.

The_Dud wrote:
sunsaint wrote:I'm not going to try adding anything in the Paddy vs petracca debate because I think it is still a little early
However I can remember the very same flog argument being raised a few years ago for the reason not going after dusty martin
Yep, was going to say the same thing about the Tigers trying to get rid of Dusty.

And I’m not buying the opening post, have a source for any of this? Paddy might become good but I still think Petracca was the right choice.

elizabethr

fakenews

nothing to say

parkeysainter wrote:It doesn't really matter who picked who does it? We could go back in single every draft and say we should have picked him over him. You draft who you draft at the time thinking they're a better player or what is required for the needs of the list.

We got Paddy. They got Petrecca. Both clubs just need to make players out of them which they are.
Yes and No.

The club were all for recruiting a tall forward to get great training from the best (being Roo). Obviously form and concussions have had an impact.

I always thought the tall forward option was not the correct decision. We have not recruited according to the AFL status, (ie its a midfielders game). Umpires, commentators voting shows this to be true. Praise is all about quality midfields and we chose to ignore that. We passed on Judd due to work done on his shoulders. We passed on Petracca for another position choice but left our weakness in place for many years. That was the midfield after, Goddard, Dal Santo, Lenny and others finished up at the club. We got slower and started to look at outside mids for recruitment. We missed so many options and took small forwards who have been buffeted by bigger bodied midfielders and defenders.

I always thought we should go for taller mids. We have now been left with some outside choices but these have been injured and not been regular game players. The ones we have picked recently for the inside role need time to prove themselves. We still need more depth. We still need more flair as we have enlisted soldiers. Thank goodness we decided on Acres and Ben Long. They aren't elite but add something different to the team as does Jack Steven who has been overloaded and seems to be injured more than ever before. All related to the clubs choice.

Petracca was our first real chance to make substantial change to the teams make up. I think we blew it and have said this for years (Bontempelli, Cripps, Oliver were others missed). I love the improvement seen in Paddy but delivery to him is shite so his impact is less valued. Clubs done cart before the horse in my opinion.

St. Paul wrote:
Nuh Plugger would carve a path when they hear him coming. He might not get too many games now and surely would pass Breretons Tribunal record.

David-Lee

David-Lee wrote:The thing about Paddy is that so far in 2018 he is healthy, he has been held goalless but also kicked 3 in a game.
Some would say his career before 2018 was very average...unfortunately in 2018 he is actually playing worse in almost every category of stats than his career average...
Season Career
Disposals 12 15 worse
Kicks 9 12 worse
Handballs 4 6 worse
Marks 6 10 worse
Goals 3 3
Goal Assists 3 2 better , important stat need goals!
Tackles 2 3 worse
Hitouts 0 0
Clearances 0 0
Clangers 3 7 better- this is good
Inside 50s 5 6 worse
Rebound 50s 0 1 worse
Supercoach 67 82 worse
AFL Fantasy 63 81 worse

I didn't want to do Petraccas because he's not a Saint and I dont give a sh!t about him.
He’s being asked to play as the sole key forward. No Riewoldt, no Bruce. Membrey underdone and undersized.

He’s copping the best key defender each week, so no surprises that he’s not tearing it up each week.

I think he’ll be okay, but personally I’d move Carlisle forward to give him a hand, at least until Bruce is back.

That would help our forward structure immensely, but would, of course leave a sizeable hole in defence.

Anyways, next week is the McCartin-Petracca Cup. Let’s hope Paddy shows a bit because I’ve had a gutful of Demon fans raving about how special “Tracccccc” is.
I'd go one more ..move Bruce to defense and swap with Carlisle...the problem is Carlisle hates playing forward and at Essendon acted like a disgruntled child when placed forward.

Crossy66

kalsaint wrote:
St. Paul wrote:
Nuh Plugger would carve a path when they hear him coming. He might not get too many games now and surely would pass Breretons Tribunal record.
Can you imagine how Plugger would have dealt with all those defenders blocking up his space? On the Petracca thing, as has been reported before, he indicated he would prefer to go to Collingwood in the future, plus there was mention of some personal stuff. Paddy by contrast was seen to be made of the right stuff and a player )or one of) we could build a team around for the next decade. Besides, I dont think Petracca is anywhere near A grade yet nor a lock to get there.

Bruce G McAbee

Well, we will find out next week won't we.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Crossy66

Bruce G McAbee wrote:Well, we will find out next week won't we.
Probably not. One has played twice as much footy and is therefore further along the AFL journey. Both play different roles and the big fellas take longer to develop.
As some mentioned earlier, its too early to compare, so its a pointless discussion beyond a drip tray chat.
Interestingly though, Paddy beats Petracca in Average goals and points per game plus contested marks and one percenters and marks inside 50, Petracca averages more clangers and free kicks given away. DOes that mean anything? probably not - they play different roles. FWIW, at this stage, i dont think us having Petracca would have impacted on our win / loss ratio.

Paddy would have bitten the dog.

Lol bloody love seeing the Bummers lose!!!

If Paddy was given the service of a team that honoured his leads and treated him like a forward we would bot be having this discussion

stonecold wrote:
Would have thought, you were too young to really remember Plugger in he's peak????? :wink:
Plugger in he is (he’s) peak, makes no cents at all.

kalsaint wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:It doesn't really matter who picked who does it? We could go back in single every draft and say we should have picked him over him. You draft who you draft at the time thinking they're a better player or what is required for the needs of the list.

We got Paddy. They got Petrecca. Both clubs just need to make players out of them which they are.
Yes and No.

The club were all for recruiting a tall forward to get great training from the best (being Roo). Obviously form and concussions have had an impact.

I always thought the tall forward option was not the correct decision. We have not recruited according to the AFL status, (ie its a midfielders game). Umpires, commentators voting shows this to be true. Praise is all about quality midfields and we chose to ignore that. We passed on Judd due to work done on his shoulders. We passed on Petracca for another position choice but left our weakness in place for many years. That was the midfield after, Goddard, Dal Santo, Lenny and others finished up at the club. We got slower and started to look at outside mids for recruitment. We missed so many options and took small forwards who have been buffeted by bigger bodied midfielders and defenders.

I always thought we should go for taller mids. We have now been left with some outside choices but these have been injured and not been regular game players. The ones we have picked recently for the inside role need time to prove themselves. We still need more depth. We still need more flair as we have enlisted soldiers. Thank goodness we decided on Acres and Ben Long. They aren't elite but add something different to the team as does Jack Steven who has been overloaded and seems to be injured more than ever before. All related to the clubs choice.

Petracca was our first real chance to make substantial change to the teams make up. I think we blew it and have said this for years (Bontempelli, Cripps, Oliver were others missed). I love the improvement seen in Paddy but delivery to him is shite so his impact is less valued. Clubs done cart before the horse in my opinion.
Swans had three picks in Lenny's draft year before we took the Pennant Hills junior at #11.
Fosdyk, Fitzgerald & Bolton, with only Bolton who we were keen on at #11 arguably having a career similar to Lenny.
My point is all clubs have these misses, some right under their nose.

Ollie Wines grew up with and was best mates with Jack Viney, the Demons passed him by for Jimmy Toumpas and Port snapped him up. Guess who was recruiting manager?

What about Saints and Jack Reiwoldt?

kosifantutti wrote:Paddy would have bitten the dog.
Petracca bit the dog first.
The dog has only been reported for retaliating.

St. Paul

ace wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Paddy would have bitten the dog.
Petracca bit the dog first.
The dog has only been reported for retaliating.
:D :D :D

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."

Yep. One will play finals this year with a chance of a flag and the other won't. I don't know where Christian Petracca will finish up, but his trajectory is very much in the Dustin Martin mold (along with his physique). If he is the Demon's 22nd best player, I'd be backing them for the flag right now.

The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Apr 2018 1:28am Put Paddy in any top team right now and he kicks 50-60 goals a season. Josh Kennedy would struggle to kick a score in our forward line at the moment.
Err...nope

silverhalo

spert wrote: Sun 27 May 2018 6:25pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Apr 2018 1:28am Put Paddy in any top team right now and he kicks 50-60 goals a season. Josh Kennedy would struggle to kick a score in our forward line at the moment.
Err...nope

congorozides

Petracca just kicked 3 goals and 22 disposals against a top side.

Yes it has been put to rest.