Can anyone remember a more bleak outlook than now ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can anyone remember a more bleak outlook than now ?

Yes...but as mentioned, when I started supporting the Saints with Burns, Joffa, Muir, Perovic, Sidebottom, Carl, etc, at least the opposition genuinely feared for their health at the end of our 10-20 goal hiding. Plenty of mongrel and character, not this GWS-Lite rubbish.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
bigred wrote:Club is a fkn shambles IMO.

Shambles.
Agreed. Club needs to push the RESET button at the end of the season, if it ends as badly as we're anticipating right now. A brand new front office (coach, CEO and president) will be required.

Interesting point of view. I can understand the pressure on the senior coach, and the possible need to re-examine his tenure, but Matt Finnis? REALLY? and Peter Summers? I guess my next question would be; WHO do you see as ADEQUATE replacements mate? You see unless there is a considered and realistic approach to changing the guard, ( rather than a “knee-jerk-hope-for-the- best-anyone- is- better- than- who-we’ve- got” approach) then with the greatest respect, we’re simply repeating history and doing what we appear to be SO good at: “ being the basket case that is St Kilda FC

So mate, names please, alternatives! VIABLE alternatives.
One main reason the admin should be under question is the idiotic decision to re-sign Richo early, when he was still contracted and did not need to have his contract extended at that point, especially considering he has one of the lowest winning % as coach in the AFL.

This was a ridiculous management decision that means to sack him now would cost money we can't afford, and once again make us a laughing stock. Why sign him early? Why not just wait?

Appearances ahead of performance should be our new slogan.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Appearances ahead of performance should be our new slogan.
"Unexpect the expected" was the best I've heard...I did chortle aloud.

longtimesaint
Club Player

degruch wrote:Yes...but as mentioned, when I started supporting the Saints with Burns, Joffa, Muir, Perovic, Sidebottom, Carl, etc, at least the opposition genuinely feared for their health at the end of our 10-20 goal hiding. Plenty of mongrel and character, not this GWS-Lite rubbish.
Those were the days! Sadly you cant elbow opposition players in the head and get away with it.

One year will be our year
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Shambles.
Agreed. Club needs to push the RESET button at the end of the season, if it ends as badly as we're anticipating right now. A brand new front office (coach, CEO and president) will be required.

Interesting point of view. I can understand the pressure on the senior coach, and the possible need to re-examine his tenure, but Matt Finnis? REALLY? and Peter Summers? I guess my next question would be; WHO do you see as ADEQUATE replacements mate? You see unless there is a considered and realistic approach to changing the guard, ( rather than a “knee-jerk-hope-for-the- best-anyone- is- better- than- who-we’ve- got” approach) then with the greatest respect, we’re simply repeating history and doing what we appear to be SO good at: “ being the basket case that is St Kilda FC

One main reason the admin should be under question is the idiotic decision to re-sign Richo early, when he was still contracted and did not need to have his contract extended at that point, especially considering he has one of the lowest winning % as coach in the AFL.

This was a ridiculous management decision that means to sack him now would cost money we can't afford, and once again make us a laughing stock. Why sign him early? Why not just wait?

The board decided to wait around before making a decision on Ross Lyon’s contract :lol: gee THAT strategy turned out well :mrgreen:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Shambles.

The board decided to wait around before making a decision on Ross Lyon’s contract :lol: gee THAT strategy turned out well :mrgreen:
And the two have such similar coaching records and success.......

St. Paul
Club Player

Yes, Jiggster, but RL was hot coaching property at the time. Coming off four consecutive finals series, two GFs (so close) and a replay. Great winning percentage and a master tactician with a proven track record of extracting performance from average players. Opposition teams feared us. As for the incumbent, you couldn't give him away, even last year. No need to rush on that one. Nettlefold's incompetence in this regard has only been matched by that of Finnis. Bizarre decision that reeks of interference from HQ.

Ross Lyon was also the second best coach this club has ever had. AR's record suggests he's down with Gellie, Watson and Watters. I wonder how we'd be looking now with RL in charge. Nowhere near as bad as we currently do, I'm willing to wager.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

St. Paul wrote:Yes, Jiggster, but RL was hot coaching property at the time. Coming off four consecutive finals series, two GFs (so close) and a replay. Great winning percentage and a master tactician with a proven track record of extracting performance from average players. Opposition teams feared us. As for the incumbent, you couldn't give him away, even last year. No need to rush on that one. Nettlefold's incompetence in this regard has only been matched by that of Finnis. Bizarre decision that reeks of interference from HQ.

Ross Lyon was also the second best coach this club has ever had. AR's record suggests he's down with Gellie, Watson and Watters. I wonder how we'd be looking now with RL in charge. Nowhere near as bad as we currently do, I'm willing to wager.
Yes RL did indeed get us to two GFs ( with a list basically built by Grant Thomas ) I’m not so sure how he’d be going if he was in AR’s position.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Richo's record....

Games Coached 94
Wins 34
Losses 58
Draws 2
Win % 36.2%

Scott Watters win % was 38.6%

Richo is ranked as 16th out of current coaches, with only Bolton and Fagan below him, whilst the person above him (and every other coach) has a winning % of 50 or greater.

As I said, we should have been in no rush to extend Richo's contract and had no reason to do so.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

HitTheBoundary wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Shambles.

And the two have such similar coaching records and success.......
Spot on - a chalk and cheese comparison.

Lyon was agonisingly close to being a dual-premiership coach, whereas Richo is yet to take us to the finals, let alone challenge for a flag.

Even those who try to liken AR’s contract extension to Richmond are making a farsical comparison, as at least Hardwick had taken Richmond to two finals campaigns before their 2016 slump.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
St Lenny
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Shambles.

Lyon said to wait not St Kilda. He finally agreed to a contract, then rang MN from the airport to say he was going to Freo. Why do people keep forgetting that.

St Lenny
Club Player

No point comparing to the 80s or other Coaches. We need to act now and not wait till the end of the season. We need to salvage something from this season to make ourselves a little more attractive to keep players and attract someone decent if we are to move forward. If we can't get rid of Richo, get rid of all the Assistants, all useless and not doing their job. The players need to be told to train the way the Coach says or get out. Over it.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

St Lenny wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Shambles.

Lyon said to wait not St Kilda. He finally agreed to a contract, then rang MN from the airport to say he was going to Freo. Why do people keep forgetting that.
Good point. As much as St Kilda made a meal out of his contract talk, I’m yet to be convinced that he wasn’t already leaving.

He’s an ambitious man and badly wants to be a premiership coach. Once he finally came to terms with the fact that the flag window was well and truly shut, could any of us see him sticking around for a five year rebuild?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Can remember when we were shyte for years on end, but the disappointment at how this is turning out, how insipid and lost we look,, the disappointment of promise so utterly unrealised.....I can't remember a time with more of that.

milney044
Club Player

I look at the Richo signing and to me it just exemplifies the St Kilda FC.. accepting mediocrity. Honestly what does that signing tell the rest of the club including other coaches and players? You don't have to do a hell of a lot to get another contract.
It pretty much just sums up the club and its outlook. Until we instill a winning culture and demand results, nothing will change.
Same with continuing to play Newnes, Gilbert and having Geary as captain. It all equates to the same thing - accepting mediocrity.
I fear for the future of this club i love. We need to stand up, be bald and be ruthless.
While I'm at it, get rid of that "sainter of the day" crap on social media. We fans are sick of celebrating minor "victories" when our team has just got thumped. Its time for things to change.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Turbo
Club Player

Over al the years I've seen worse than this! We have a lot going for us at the moment we are getting heaps of the ball we are entering the 50 heaps, we just need to tidy a few thins up and get some confidence and we are on our way. Forget about this year, it's probably gone! Get some games in tot he future players get some quality pics and we are off and going as long as we have the right game plane and players that will buy in. We are not that bad.
Yoy only have to be a couple of % off and you will get flogged nowadays.
My family will be buying their memberships again next year, no way will I let the Saints wither away!

Some time soon.
KingSaint
Club Player

milney044 wrote:I look at the Richo signing and to me it just exemplifies the St Kilda FC.. accepting mediocrity. Honestly what does that signing tell the rest of the club including other coaches and players? You don't have to do a hell of a lot to get another contract.
It pretty much just sums up the club and its outlook. Until we instill a winning culture and demand results, nothing will change.
Same with continuing to play Newnes, Gilbert and having Geary as captain. It all equates to the same thing - accepting mediocrity.
I fear for the future of this club i love. We need to stand up, be bald and be ruthless.
While I'm at it, get rid of that "sainter of the day" crap on social media. We fans are sick of celebrating minor "victories" when our team has just got thumped. Its time for things to change.
I hate these useless cliches...'accepting mediocrity'...do you honestly think the board and the admin extended Richo's contract coz they thought we are a mediocre club...so lets make mediocre decisions and employ mediocre coaches and staff...sheesh!!!

I am sure everyone at the club is trying their hardest and making decisions they think are in the best interests of the club. Slagging off at players, coaches and staff is the domain of the worst sort of supporter.

The club clearly has some issues at the moment...but we are no where near as bad as we have been at other points in our history.

One thing I do know...if we all support our club...turn up to games...cheer and support the players...in good and bad games...when success does come, and it will...it will be far more enjoyable.

Just my view...I'm not saying you can't be unhappy with out performance...just maybe show a little respect for our club...there are plenty of opposition supporters and media ready to deride us...we don't need to aid and abet them.

saintbob
SS Life Member

We’re an absolute shambles, and all we seem to be worried about is getting an AFLW team.

How about we f****** concentrate on fixing the f****** club up before we even entertain a women’s side, why bring the women in to a club like this!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Being back GT

stonecold
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:Mid-season 1984 was pretty bad. It looked like we were going to be wound up. Creditors accepted 2 cents in the dollar which kept us afloat.
Yes this, most of the 80's actually and also not so long ago when DH was still able to post his dribble!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

What’s devastating is to see a young side go backwards.

I can handle rebuilding years...I mean f*** I’m a saints man, how many rebuilds have I seen to date. The problem with this one is just when you’re expecting to see the fruits of the pains you went through over the past 3,4,5 seasons we get this fkn shyte of a performance which spans from the board to the coaches to the players...we are rubbish at all levels and a joke of a club

It is devastating

I’m hurting

I’m angry

#1 Ryder fan
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

HitTheBoundary wrote:We were worse than this in the 80's. But at least we won the fights.

The difference now is the supporters.
I haven't previously experienced this level of disenchantment and general anger at the Club.
In the 80’s...yes probably bleaker but we had an important ingredient.
It fostered commaradie between strangers, it made friends.
It was a couldron at times to rival any.
It had comedians in the crowd that would have bays in laughter.
A sense of a home...our turf.

You can’t underestimate how much of a bonding effect that has on a club.
That keeps a club alive in the real bad times.

Now,as good as it is in many ways...you have Etihad’s soulless vibe less than half full.
Largely degenerated into theatre goers golf clapping and every third persons head in their phone rather
Than actually fully watching the game. That’s why it’s SO important to perform at least to a competitive level.
You don’t have any of this to fall back on.

Also from a player perspective. To purely watch and enjoy you had:

Barker
Harvey
Joffa
Greg Cunningham
Plugger
Burkey
Lowe etc etc.

Now? Who you get excited about?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Shambles.

Jiggster, those three have to be the main ones held accountable for the club falling too short of the goals it set five years ago. I'm not saying get rid of them now, but by the season's conclusion they must provide answers or otherwise their time is up.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
silverhalo
Club Player

It was 22.5 cents in the dollar but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story!

silverhalo
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Mid-season 1984 was pretty bad. It looked like we were going to be wound up. Creditors accepted 2 cents in the dollar which kept us afloat.
Whoops, for got the quote bit....

It was 22.5 cents in the dollar but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story!