A rift among the coaching staff?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

A rift among the coaching staff?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... 5f26a83c05

Seems like a bit of a beat up based on the footage they showed.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: A rift among the coaching staff?

Richo said he was confused and couldn't remember and that Kingo couldn't remember either. That possibly explains a few things. Of course he was mis-speaking but he can't admit what happened. He did remember Tim missing "that" goal but didn't scold him, he did however say well done when his set shot from 40 metres on a slight angle went through a minute later. I guess that shows the standard - pitiful crucial miss allowed to go through to the keeper but well done for doing that which you are paid a squillion to do. I wonder if the guys up the ground that worked so hard to get the ball to Tim are so philosophical about his shocker. Denial is possibly ok if there is no vision of the incidents but even pollies have realised now when sprung wring hands and say sorry to retain a little credibility. The next question should have been well if there are not hard words being exchanged why not - everything going to plan?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Big deal if they did fire up in the moment.
A bit of passion is not a bad thing.

As long as they move on straight away it's no issue and little more than a sport that is so closely dissected and studied that every minor issue is broadcast and blown out of proportion.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
suss
Club Player

Kingsley is looking like me might make a very good senior coach one day, probably sooner rather than later. I hope we keep him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Something is deeply wrong with our coaching. I don’t believe that all of Membrey, Gresham, Lonie, Bruce, Ross, Steele, Billing’s, Newnes, Stevens, McKenzie, Webster, Longer (to name a few) have become as good a players they can be and our insipid efforts are because they’re not good enough. It must be a disconnect between the coaching staff and players. They’re playing like there is no leadership. I don’t believe for a second they’re not wanting to play good footy and succeed. Something is not right there and based on game plan, skills and bottoming out morale, I place it firmly in AR’s court.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The guy is no footballing genius thats for sure. Poor choice for senior coach and even worst decision extending his contract.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Is it just the coaching ???

DWOODROW
Club Player

suss wrote:Kingsley is looking like me might make a very good senior coach one day, probably sooner rather than later. I hope we keep him.

Is that based on his form as assistant coach so far.
Last edited by DWOODROW on Tue 01 May 2018 3:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket
Club Player

My problem with our coaching is the conservative nature and lack of flair / Plan B

Why not try

-Billings to quarterback role off Half back
- Membrey to CHB when not getting a kick (Clarkson did it with Sicily)
- Carlisle to CHF and play Austin or Goddard down back (this will happen this week) Goddard played forward in under age as well
- Put Weller onto Mitchell, Steele isnt a tagger he is a ball winner
- Wright as lock down back pocket (if he ever gets another game)
- Acres in the ruck doesnt work. It needs to be Hickey / Marshall combination

there is zero creativitty amonst the coaching ranks. My tip Richardson doesnt allow as he is a conservative guy that is very clear to me.

suss
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
suss wrote:Kingsley is looking like me might make a very good senior coach one day, probably sooner rather than later. I hope we keep him.

Is that based on his form as assistant coach so far. :lol:
Not on our win:loss right now, but he's highly rated.

Your bro probably knows better than most. Care to share his thoughts on our current predicament? :wink:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Rocket wrote:My problem with our coaching is the conservative nature and lack of flair / Plan B

Why not try

-Billings to quarterback role off Half back
- Membrey to CHB when not getting a kick (Clarkson did it with Sicily)
- Carlisle to CHF and play Austin or Goddard down back (this will happen this week) Goddard played forward in under age as well
- Put Weller onto Mitchell, Steele isnt a tagger he is a ball winner
- Wright as lock down back pocket (if he ever gets another game)
- Acres in the ruck doesnt work. It needs to be Hickey / Marshall combination

there is zero creativitty amonst the coaching ranks. My tip Richardson doesnt allow as he is a conservative guy that is very clear to me.
I like the thinking outside the box but....
Coffield will be a gun based on what we have seen so far and will marshal troops from the back. I do believe in moving Billings but my move is to Sandy for a while
Silly to move Carlisle forward, he is one of our best players most weeks and love playing back. He swings forward every now and then and when there is a quite turnover we are screwed. Goddard use to be slow but I haven't seen him this year and know little of Austin. Who gets dropped for them, our backs are our best group so don't mess with them
Agree with Steele not a tagger (missing Koby Stevens) and Acres doesn't belong in the ruck

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Is it just the coaching ???
If it is not 'just' the coaching, I am dreading our results if their are fractures within the playing group. If the captain and the leaders cannot unite the playing group it could also result in our good players wanting out

I'd rather get rid of a coach who has perhaps lost his players, rather than get rid of good players. Have a look at the Dogs with what's happening between some of the players now and going back to last year with Stringer leaving. I know he had issues, but they were not terminal. They same happened with Bennell at the GC Suns and the leadership could not reign him in or get around him ( probably Gary Jnr only gave a stuff about himself) and friction between players contributed to the exodus of Omeara, Prestia etc..

My suspicion is that with Joey and Roo gone, perhaps some players got fat heads and started thinking they know better than the coaches regarding team selection and who should be in the side week by week. These are now just my suspicions and I'm searching for answers as an outsider. I'd love some itk's to add to this discussion. Maybe when Roo was captain he had input into team selection, so that practice is continuing. The fact that it was reported here and in some sections of the media that voices in the playing group had input into changing the game plan, indicates that maybe they also think they know best about player development, list management and team selection

Maybe there have been factions within the playing group and the captaincy and leadership from Roo was dictatorial rather than inclusive in the last few years. Maybe some players are now feeling free to speak their mind and it's getting to an unhealthy point where there's too many voices and no clear direction. Team selection is also about self interest so factions may have sprung up over the last few years where some players are favoured by the coach and leadership, and some players are unjustifiably shunned. If competition for spots turns into backstabbing and disrespect towards your team mates, it has to affect performance. Did the 'Tom Hickey versus Billy Longer' argument also play out within the playing group and has it caused a rift in factions? Did all the tension and stress of the rifts and fractures within the playing group effect our form and confidence. With Tony74 admitting that some players are down on confidence, I have a feeling that the players might be turning on themselves purely out of self interest and survival rather than the aim being team success
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 01 May 2018 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Really a non story.

This stuff happens in every coaches box. Richo actually seems like one of the calmest coaches in the box. I would be worried if there wasn't some disagreement and healthy debate amongst the coaching group.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
fingers
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Really a non story.

This stuff happens in every coaches box. Richo actually seems like one of the calmest coaches in the box. I would be worried if there wasn't some disagreement and healthy debate amongst the coaching group.
Exactly.

stonecold
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Really a non story.

Exactly.

Yeap, indeed it does, always has!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
oh when the
Club Player

I expect our coaches to fire up in the box given the crap we are watching.
Media just love kicking the Saints and take any chance to do so.
When Carlisle remonstrated with Saints players the media carried on
When Goddard did it with Dons players not the carry on like we copped.