Surely Marshall has to stay in the best 22 from now on

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Surely Marshall has to stay in the best 22 from now on

One thing I’m utterly utterly sick of (Minus our goal kicking), is the fact that we have yet to solve our ruck dilemma over the last few years.

We’ve had Hickey who has at times looked great around the grounds to the point of being a weapon, and at best serviceable in the centre.

We’ve had Longer who at times has been a beast in the middle, and blocking apparently, but is lucky to have 5 touches a game otherwise

Neither have been remotely good enough to play a key position meaning that it’s been impossible to play them together.

In one of the more condemning observation of our strategic team, in three years our solution to this has been to play Bruce in the ruck who has been smashed there and this has coincided with his fall from grace as a forward.

We then tried Sam Gilbert and in fairness, Gilbo had a spike in form for a half a season though we still got beaten in the ruck.

Now our genius strategy has been to play Acres there, which is ironically as close the the centre as he’s been so far. And he’s being ‘managed’ now.

The closest we’ve come to an actual, viable solution is Marshall... he’s looked good in the middle and plays key forward at Sandy.

Surely, with Bruce out, Membrey struggling, no back up ruck, this kid who is neither ready to be the main forward or ruck, plays the inbetween/back up role for both positions with one of Hickey or Longer.
Last edited by skeptic on Thu 03 May 2018 11:47pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Surely Marshall has to stay in the best 22 from now on

+1

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Was only out because he was knocked out

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Playing Marshall for one game before retreating for the safety of Hickey was such a Richo move. It should have been Battle coming in for Bruce, but somehow Richo manages to find a way to make two disappointing moves with one change. I'd love to see Marshall out there on Sunday, but I'm guessing it'll be a mid in for Acres. Probably Armitage. I find that incredible after the effort the team put in last week. Given our start, you'd think we'd be making some forward thinking decisions, especially since Richo's contract means he's basically under zero pressure to win now.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
spert
Saintsational Legend

Marshall has a long way to go, but shows promise.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

In principle he should play but… if he has a few ordinary games then he'll need to go back and re-form in the VFL.

Pierce is worth another look at AFL level if his recent VFL form is anything to go by.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Was only out because he was knocked out
Didn’t he miss the GWS game due to that?

If that was so, then why wasn’t he selected vs Hawthorn is the issue??

Probably should change his name to Newnes.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

because there was obviously still a little concern=- it's how Concussion is now treated

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

FFS :roll:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

WTF?

He was available for selection wasn’t he??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

because there was obviously still a little concern=- it's how Concussion is now treated
Just like Newnes I guess who was concussed and then played the following week. I thought it was an automatic one week rest of you got concussion in a game

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
degruch wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

WTF?

He was available for selection wasn’t he??
Dempster, McCartin, Stevens...you'd expect a young player has a couple good game, gets KO'd, would be rushed back in after a concussion given our recent run of injuries? If he changed his name to Newnes he'd be lucky enough to play injured?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

To the question, yes. Marshall is the future and won't get going if he is shuffled from As to rest to Bs. A star turn like Acres in ruck is so silly. There are plenty of less skilled work horses to choose e.g. Membrey. Even the management of Blake was half bottomed, one game too late apparently and he played in wet slippery conditions against guys well out of his weight division. The selection judgement is poor unless they are contractually bound to play certain players regardless of form. If so that should be on the table. Anyway dry day, fast track Paddy and the delicious (French for gun) Billings will be on song. Get it to them even if we have to use the flying wedge technique.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I only want 1 ruckman in the team on most weeks, and at the moment it is Hickey for me, but I like the look of Marshall and perhaps the 2 together should be tried for a few weeks. In any case I'd rather 1 only and the second guy would not be Bruce or Acres or Gilbo imo. The answer is pretty f***** obvious and staring us all in the face but our coach/coaches are too stupid to realise.

Who is the tallest bloke on our list apart from the guys who are picked to play ruck and who usually play in the ruck when their named in the team? Derrr? Why play Gilbo or Acres when we've got a guy called Jake Carlisle who is nearly 100kg and nearly 200cm?

Carlisle plays as the loose most of the time, with Gilbo taking one of the tall forwards and Nathan Brown playing on the biggest or sometimes the slowest tall forward. If Carlisle is basically there in the backline to intercept that high ball coming in, there's not going to be many high balls from a stoppage deep in your defensive line, so why not get Carlisle rucking when it's down their in that territory.

Carlisle should also be covering the resting Gawn and would probably do a better job than either Marshall or Hickey when it comes to being the defender on that last line. He doesn't have to do much rucking and hopefully if our mids are winning clearances it'll only be as a chop out for Hickey or Marshall.

We can then use the guys like Acres to crash through the stoppages at speed and create opportnities to break the lines. Same with Gilbo. If his opponent is on the bench he can pinch hit in the middle. Sam has the ability to be a very good tagger/follower and he can also win his own ball.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 04 May 2018 10:46pm, edited 2 times in total.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

We need to fast track him
Simples

Seeya
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I only want 1 ruckman in the team on most weeks, and at the moment it is Hickey for me, but I like the look of Marshall and perhaps the 2 together should be tried for a few weeks. In any case I'd rather 1 only and the second guy would not be Bruce or Acres or Gilbo imo. The answer is pretty f***** obvious and staring us all in the face but our coach/coaches are too stupid to realise.

Who is the tallest bloke on our list apart from the guys who are picked to play ruck and who usually play in the ruck when their named in the team? Derrr? Why play Gilbo or Acres when we've got a guy called Jake Carlisle who is nearly 100kg and nearly 200cm?

Carlisle plays as the loose most of the time, with Gilbo taking one of the tall forwards and Nathan Brown playing on the biggest or sometimes the slowest tall forward. If Carlisle is basically there in the backline to intercept that high ball coming in, there's not going to be many high balls from a stoppage deep in your defensive line, so why not get Carlisle rucking when it's down their in that territory.

Carlisle should also be covering the resting Gawn and would probably do a better job than either Marshall or Hickey when it comes to being the defender on that last line. He doesn't have to do much rucking and hopefully if our mids are winning clearances it'll only be as a chop out for Hickey or Marshall.

We can then use the guys like Acres to crash through the stoppages at speed and create opportnities to break the lines. Same with Gilbo. If his opponent is on the bench he can pinch hit in the middle. Sam has the ability to be a very good tagger/follower and he can also win his own ball.
Carlisle's previous shoulder, groin, knee, hip and back injuries hamper his ability to contest in the ruck. The bombers wouldnt listen and persisted playing him there.

Marshall is untried as a forward in the ones and has impressed with his few games in the ruck. He has also done a decent job as forward at Sandy.

Membrey is not a key forward and never should be.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

are you a Doctor or a concussion expert, or just another whiny, sky is falling, woe is me like Con?

KingSaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Just like Newnes I guess who was concussed and then played the following week. I thought it was an automatic one week rest of you got concussion in a game
Well...you thought wrong. Concussion, like any other injury, is dealt with on a player by player basis...sheesh. Just put a little more thought into you say...with a little less whining...you might enjoy life more.