Getting that elusive free agent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Getting that elusive free agent

We keep hearing of this war chest of salary cap which for a while now we’ve been saving to lure a superstar mid, or two.

We were linked to Fyfe, Martin and Kelly last year, but all three re-signed with their current clubs. In the end, no big FA signing or even an exciting trade. It almost felt like we were just a stop-gab for these players to get a big rival offer on the table to help with negotiations with their current club.

Now, despite our move to Moorabbin, it doesn’t seem like much has changed. We’re not playing a brand of footy that’s attractive to any free agents or out-of-contract stars and we don’t seemed to linked to anyone. Those apparently ITK have said Sloane has little interest. We’ve chased him before and he still re-signed with the Crows. Gaff was apparently linked to us but that source seems to have fizzled and then there’s De Goey. We’ve publicly been chasing him but from what I’ve heard, he’s yet to show much interest.

IMO, if we’re ever going to land one of these elite players, we aren’t just going to have to give them the best offer, it will have to be an offer that they just can’t refuse, which will cause unrest in the rest of the playing and may lead to others requesting trades in the future.

I can’t help but think the only legs this “big fish” plan has is to sell some hope to the members.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Getting that elusive free agent

First we need a new gun coach and footy department overhaul. Then we talk FA.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Like I said in another post, the membership and admin department leaves a lot to be desired as well after the way they handled my situation.

Really poor. I have lost confidence in the club.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

A quality free agent wont come to St Kilda, why would they in all honesty. They will go to a team on the verge of finals and sadly are not. Maybe in 2020 we can get one

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Trout is a fish out of water and clearly out of his depth - I'm not expecting any big fish any time soon.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:Like I said in another post, the membership and admin department leaves a lot to be desired as well after the way they handled my situation.

The administration has far from covered itself in glory.

The club’s problems are clear as day yet they continue to hide in their ivory tower.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We are currently chasing 1 x back, 1 x key forward and 3 x mids. All at different levels of hardness, but things will change no doubt.

We might not think the Saints are a destination club right now as such, but you would be surprised, especially now Moorabbin has come online. We tend to forget that an AFL footballers lifespan is pretty short career wise. Even the best only get 12-15 years out of themselves. Securing a good long term contract after 25 or 26 is appealing to any high end AFL footballer at "any" club (their current or potential future one). The Saints already have an advantage over alot of interstate sides being based in Melbourne (especially now in bayside Moorabbin).

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:We are currently chasing 1 x back, 1 x key forward and 3 x mids. All at different levels of hardness, but things will change no doubt.

We might not think the Saints are a destination club right now as such, but you would be surprised, especially now Moorabbin has come online. We tend to forget that an AFL footballers lifespan is pretty short career wise. Even the best only get 12-15 years out of themselves. Securing a good long term contract after 25 or 26 is appealing to any high end AFL footballer at "any" club (their current or potential future one). The Saints already have an advantage over alot of interstate sides being based in Melbourne (especially now in bayside Moorabbin).
Your above points tick a lot of boxes, but you're missing a key one which the club is till in denial about, in that it helps if these players want to play for us in the first place.

Most, if not all players in the prime of their career are also attracted to the prospect in playing for a successful club and even possibly winning a premiership, which often outweighs which club is necessarily offering the biggest coin.

Star players on the markets will always have several suiters who will offer big money and often what separates them isn't necessarily who's offering the best money, but who they would rather play for. That was the difference in Treloar picking Collingwood over Richmond and why Dusty re-signed despite big offers from the Kangas and allegedly us.

This time last year, initial reports suggested we were in pole position to get Kelly, especially after we convincingly beat his mob. Several thrashings later, that source was running cold and after we missed the finals, was dead in the water.

Unless the club arrests this slump and gets back on the winners list, we'll never have the shine and lure of the other Vic clubs like Hawthorn, Richmond or even Collingwood and the Dees. Even the Kangas might be seen as a slightly more attractive prospect. If we keep getting thumped on game day, then the only way we'll compete with our Melbourne rivals in luring star talent is to offer contracts that these players just can't possibly refuse, which isn't just an extra 100 or 200 grand, we're talking HUGE money.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes the ability to pay top dollar is nullified by the fact there are only a few top fa prospects every year - hence there are always rival clubs that can afford to offer the same top dollar. So holding other drawcards such as premiership contention, big crowds, potential sponsorship deals, admired coach, solid club background, training location, top class facilities and staff, good post career options, etc is a huge advantage.
We have only one - a good location.
Unless the player is a mad (literally) saints fan we are far behind the eightball. Like the doggies we would have to pay so far over the top that only one top line (or potential top line) fa is possible, and at what cost to the team long term?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lynch told us "in your dreams", so I am told. Said it wasn't going to happen.

If he leaves the Gold Coast the betting is he will end up at Hawthorn.

Only god knows why anyone would want to play in that "god awful" jumper.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 08 May 2018 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Lynch told us "in your dreams", so I am told. Said it wasn't going to happen.

If he leaves the gold coast the betting is he win end up at Hawthorn.

Stewie Dew may have told some Gold Coast players that Clarkson is the best coach he's ever worked with

Even if it has never been spoken of privately or in any Gold Coast meetings with players, they can see that Clarko is the best with 4 flags in the last 10 years. Clarko is able to get the very best out of players and may be able to challenge Tom to get better. That has to be appealing for one of the best talents to be coached by the best coach.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote:
saynta wrote:Lynch told us "in your dreams", so I am told. Said it wasn't going to happen.

Stewie Dew may have told some Gold Coast players that Clarkson is the best coach he's ever worked with

Even if it has never been spoken of privately or in any Gold Coast meetings with players, they can see that Clarko is the best with 4 flags in the last 10 years. Clarko is able to get the very best out of players and may be able to challenge Tom to get better. That has to be appealing for one of the best talents to be coached by the best coach.
Why on earth are we chasing Lynch anyway when we have Paddy, Membrey, Bruce and have been pumping up Battle like he's the most exciting prospect since sliced bread?

St. Paul
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Like I said in another post, the membership and admin department leaves a lot to be desired as well after the way they handled my situation.

What happened, Pav?

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:We are currently chasing 1 x back, 1 x key forward and 3 x mids. All at different levels of hardness, but things will change no doubt.

Your above points tick a lot of boxes, but you're missing a key one which the club is till in denial about, in that it helps if these players want to play for us in the first place.

Most, if not all players in the prime of their career are also attracted to the prospect in playing for a successful club and even possibly winning a premiership, which often outweighs which club is necessarily offering the biggest coin.

Star players on the markets will always have several suiters who will offer big money and often what separates them isn't necessarily who's offering the best money, but who they would rather play for. That was the difference in Treloar picking Collingwood over Richmond and why Dusty re-signed despite big offers from the Kangas and allegedly us.

This time last year, initial reports suggested we were in pole position to get Kelly, especially after we convincingly beat his mob. Several thrashings later, that source was running cold and after we missed the finals, was dead in the water.

Unless the club arrests this slump and gets back on the winners list, we'll never have the shine and lure of the other Vic clubs like Hawthorn, Richmond or even Collingwood and the Dees. Even the Kangas might be seen as a slightly more attractive prospect. If we keep getting thumped on game day, then the only way we'll compete with our Melbourne rivals in luring star talent is to offer contracts that these players just can't possibly refuse, which isn't just an extra 100 or 200 grand, we're talking HUGE money.
We might and possibly will have to pay overs to secure a couple of stars. Such is life like we had to with Hamill and Gehrig but it was worth it. Finishing lower on the ladder won't help of course but the club will have a crack at it nonetheless. Its all they can do and its all I would ask for as a supporter.

If we don't get a mature star FA or two then we just draft the best kids we can and/or try trade in future stars from other clubs. It takes longer that way so it will no doubt upset the impatient pandas!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
St. Paul
Club Player

I can think of 1.5 million reasons per year, saynta. Plus the real prospect of playing in a flag.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Supt. Chalmers wrote:

I can think of 1.5 million reasons per year, saynta. Plus the real prospect of playing in a flag.

Unfortunately you are correct. Some of that poker machine revenue must be ending up in paper bags.

But nevertheless that jumper is disgusting. Looks like the bottom of a baby's pottie.

I grew up in Hawthorn Territory in the 50's and early 60's. Didn't know anyone who supported them. My first recollection of them was their gawd awful jumper.

Have hated it ever since, even during the times I was a lolly boy at Glenferrie oval.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 08 May 2018 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

St. Paul
Club Player

We got Gehrig and Hamill at a time we were as bad as we are now. Money talks. We also used the lure of Blight being coach. There's a clue in there, isn't there?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Supt. Chalmers wrote:We got Gehrig and Hamill at a time we were as bad as we are now. Money talks. We also used the lure of Blight being coach. There's a clue in there, isn't there?
Yeah, so who's out there and don't say Roos cause I'll f****** throw up!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

We might and possibly will have to pay overs to secure a couple of stars. Such is life like we had to with Hamill and Gehrig but it was worth it. Finishing lower on the ladder won't help of course but the club will have a crack at it nonetheless. Its all they can do and its all I would ask for as a supporter.

If we don't get a mature star FA or two then we just draft the best kids we can and/or try trade in future stars from other clubs. It takes longer that way so it will no doubt upset the impatient pandas!
I think it will be more like overs and the rest!

You're right that if we're again unsuccessful, then we have no choice but to go back into the draft. Just like picks 7 and 8 last draft. Clarke and Coffield are certainly handy acquisitions,
but despite what the club may say, taking those picks to the draft was plan B. When the club said that "it was best option," it was the only option really.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We must have got hamill on a 20 year deal .
Constant injuries never saw him at his best and as a coach he's average.

Oh but he is warney's mate

In red white and black from 73
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

mr six o'clock wrote:We must have got hamill on a 20 year deal .

That infamous 5 year contract became a club killer. On huge coin at the time and couldn’t get on the park.

stonecold
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote:We must have got hamill on a 20 year deal .

Still getting paid pro-radia, although, he did help Rooey turn into a great champion, so I think we got our monies worth in that regard!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
St. Paul
Club Player

Won't be going for Roos, SC. Something far more exciting and ambitious is in the winds. Have heard a whisper it's Clarkson. He's contracted until the end of 2019, however, Kokhead Kennett refuses to offer him an extension. Can you believe Clarkson can't get an extension with his record and our man did?!

I'm led to believe the old scars between Kenneth and Clarko are far from healed. The challenge and shiploads of dollars could be enough. Surely Kennet's return would've made Al spew! Here's our chance. Be bold, aggressive and nasty and screw the arrogant basterd. I'd love to see Kennet's face when Summers announces it!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Me too, but unlikly imho. Think we will stick with Richo, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health

Only hoping it will not be our death that will see us part.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Landing a quality FA is a fantasy and so forget it.

Best we can hope for are players like Degoey. Someone not established, but with promise and who we might be able to winkle out.

Also while get back to the Moo is good in comparison to Seaford it will not provide and edge over other Melbourne based Clubs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....