Biggest Sporting Challenge EVER

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint 58
Club Player

Biggest Sporting Challenge EVER

Blues struggling ... but have 16 premierships
Demons not since 1964 ... but have 12 premierships
Dogs ... have their second premiership
Hawks first flag in 1961 ... now have 13 premierships
Roos first flag in 1975 ... now have 4 premierships

Saints ...
- 69 years for our first premiership
- 52 years & counting for our second premiership & struggling
- 27 wooden spoons
- etc. etc, etc.

Are we the biggest sporting challenge ever ??

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Re: Biggest Sporting Challenge EVER

Saint 58 wrote:Blues struggling ... but have 16 premierships
Demons not since 1964 ... but have 12 premierships
Dogs ... have their second premiership
Hawks first flag in 1961 ... now have 13 premierships
Roos first flag in 1975 ... now have 4 premierships

Saints ...
- 69 years for our first premiership
- 52 years & counting for our second premiership & struggling
- 27 wooden spoons
- etc. etc, etc.

Are we the biggest sporting challenge ever ??
- I like this post, it's a great way of looking at it.

This is a seriously one of the great sporting challenges on the planet and one that the club, and its wealthy patrons, should be looking to embrace.

I was talking to a friend the other night and we were discussing the likes of Warne and Bana and Roo leading the charge to reshape the club.

My friend brought up the idea of India, and the fact that Shane Warne would have amazing contacts in that country, a country with zillionaires oozing out of every pore.

Surely selling the opportunity to become part of Australian folklore to an Indian brand, creating a cultural bridge, and opening up a new market, would be a huge incentive for the right Indian brand?

What about the likes of the Tata Motor Company, or even the Indian tourist board - surely the potential here, in the largest sports obsessed democracy on the planet, is phenomenal?

Why isn't this being touted to the right people? it would seem to me that having Warne in our camp could be a HUGE advantage for the club, but are they looking in this direction?

I doubt they are, which is sad - the opportunity at the StKFC is immense, the challenge massive, but do we have the right people to embrace it?

Imagine having the resources at our disposal to turn this club into a giant?

Look again it's the Flash!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I've been to our losing GFs in '71, '97, 2009, 2010..I'm getting challenged to keep my interest up at the moment as we are as far away from getting to another GF as I have seen.

stonecold
SS Life Member

spert wrote:I've been to our losing GFs in '71, '97, 2009, 2010..I'm getting challenged to keep my interest up at the moment as we are as far away from getting to another GF as I have seen.

Well, if you stay away from our next GF, we might win it, if we ever make one again!!!!! :wink:

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I've been to our losing GFs in '71, '97, 2009, 2010..I'm getting challenged to keep my interest up at the moment as we are as far away from getting to another GF as I have seen.
May I ( with respect) suggest that you save your money, if you’re “challenged to keep your interest”

I’ve pondered the question of another Saints Flag win in my lifetime, and quite frankly, I’ve come to terms with the fact that it’s HIGHLY unlikely that I’ll witness my beloved Saints lift the premiership cup. I’m turned 73, our chances were presented....and squandered in 2009 & 2010. THAT was “my” chance to see the flag Victory. The opportunities to win the flag are rare ( unless the stars align and you are a VERY VERY good side ).

THAT is reality! No amount of hand-wringing and “wishing and hoping” will change it. So; what are my options? To stop supporting the side unless they’re in finals? To stop supporting the side unless they’re winning every week?

As I see it, all I want to do, is to go along to the footy! Meet my pals, have drink and a chat, see my team have a good old crack at winning the game. Anything above this, for me, is a bonus.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saint 58
Club Player

I feel your pain & then some ... :shock: but I won't give up on them
It will make success all the more sweeter IF it ever happens
Big changes need to take place at our club

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Me too, but I can also add 1965.

Maybe we both should stay away from the next grannie we feature in.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

Well, if you stay away from our next GF, we might win it, if we ever make one again!!!!! :wink:
sorry, didn't see your post before I replied to spert.

spert
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
May I ( with respect) suggest that you save your money, if you’re “challenged to keep your interest”

I’ve pondered the question of another Saints Flag win in my lifetime, and quite frankly, I’ve come to terms with the fact that it’s HIGHLY unlikely that I’ll witness my beloved Saints lift the premiership cup. I’m turned 73, our chances were presented....and squandered in 2009 & 2010. THAT was “my” chance to see the flag Victory. The opportunities to win the flag are rare ( unless the stars align and you are a VERY VERY good side ).

THAT is reality! No amount of hand-wringing and “wishing and hoping” will change it. So; what are my options? To stop supporting the side unless they’re in finals? To stop supporting the side unless they’re winning every week?

As I see it, all I want to do, is to go along to the footy! Meet my pals, have drink and a chat, see my team have a good old crack at winning the game. Anything above this, for me, is a bonus.
Jeez I wish the team had your killer instinct! :D

Saint 58
Club Player

spert wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

I'm 59 but feel the same way !! :cry: :cry:

barneyboyz
Club Player

It certainly does look that way, and if things were the same as they were through the early eighties (zones and drafting etc), then we would most certainly have followed Fitzroy into oblivion.

Funny, it's like we're being kept on life support these days, no right to live but don't dare pull the plug, just in case they find a cure. And to that we've come close, on several occasions too.

I'm with The Jiggster on this to some degree too, I'm more than happy to pay my bucks, have a beer and a shout (at the maggots), and enjoy a great game of footy. Yep, winning premierships is probably like fishing, I mean once you get one, you're looking for the next. Do Hawks, Cats and Sydney fans really enjoy them? Are Tigers fans really sure exactly how they feel right now? Look at the Dullbogs, how they really feeling???

I've decided, I'm not too disappointed in the history of the saints...well overall that is, but FFS, can they at least play something I can watch? or find someone that plays great footy that I can watch. A Plugger, Winmar, Hayes, Roo, Burke, Kosi or even a Harvey would be nice

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
felix
Club Player

What we need is a handful of premiership players who have experienced glory to come on over for more money to participate in the greatest challenge.

takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:

I agree. A premiership is the ultimate, but I still enjoy the footy virtually every week, win lose or draw. You follow the club with like minded mates, even have a bit of fun with your friends who barrack for the team you are playing. There are good aspects to every game, and every season. You get annoyed with the players, umpires, club selections, etc, but there is always next week. I do not support the Saints purely to win a flag.

I was young but there in '66, as well as '65 and the others up to 2010. I was the most disappointed in '71, which really we had in the bag. On to next week.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Me too, but I can also add 1965.

Maybe we both should stay away from the next grannie we feature in.
At least you saw 66 Saynta!
I was four and dad wouldn't take me.

I also went in 71, 97, 2009 & 2010 (twice) that's five for me with four loses and a draw.

The best was 09 because it was the second best GF game I've been to after 89 Hawks V Geelong.
I knew at HT we were in trouble after missing so many simple shots.

The worst was the draw as I actually thought we were going to win when Goddard goaled, I then saw Rooey wave everyone behind the ball for the centre bounce and was thinking another goal wins it, why defend and not give your self a chance to score.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: it’s amazing how many times I’m “bagged” on here as a “ Pollyanna” or a “blue sky er “ when I point out the realities for ME! I’m mocked! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Tue 08 May 2018 7:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingSaint
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Love this post...and not because I am a club sycophant or pollyanna or blue skyer...this is what being a supporter is all about.

I mentioned in another post that this is my first year back in Melbourne after 20 odd years in the West. And typically, as fate would have it, it sees us playing the worst football we have in sometime. I don't know what our current malaise is...could be the coach...could be our lack of talent...could be loss of confidence...could be adjusting to a new game plan. Anyhoo...I am now attending games at Etihad watching us being absolute crap. But I will continue to go...and support and hopefully see us turn things around.

I will remind you all that things are never as bad...or as good...as they seem to be. Just enjoy the ride. :) :) :)

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Is StKilda the least successful sporting club in the history of the free world?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Is StKilda the least successful sporting club in the history of the free world?
Errrrrrr NOPE! That “honour” would go to Fulham Football Club in London

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Is StKilda the least successful sporting club in the history of the free world?
Nice one Dave.

They are a bit like the Saints, though, in that they made the 1975 FA Cup Final only to lose, and after knocking us out in the 4th Round!

As someone else had said, worst day was the GF in 1971. We had it in the bag at 3/4 time. Is was in Year 12, at school in Canterbury, and there were just too many Hawthorn supporters. Hawthorn beat us 4 times that season.

I found ‘09 much worse than ‘10. Still haven’t got over it. And, by the way, Gram was Best on Ground!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Nice one Dave.

They are a bit like the Saints, though, in that they made the 1975 FA Cup Final only to lose, and after knocking us out in the 4th Round!

As someone else had said, worst day was the GF in 1971. We had it in the bag at 3/4 time. Is was in Year 12, at school in Canterbury, and there were just too many Hawthorn supporters. Hawthorn beat us 4 times that season.

I found ‘09 much worse than ‘10. Still haven’t got over it. And, by the way, Gram was Best on Ground!
"The biggest sporting challenge EVER" ????? Well, YES! supporting St Kilda IS (more often than not) a "challenge"....... (DUH!!!!???) I knew what I was getting in to back in round 22, 2000. It was after seeing us get pantsed by North Melbourne, seeing Tim Watson slink away down the race without a glance at us supporters, and hearing Nathan Burke apologise to the fans for such a wicked season. THAT'S when I decided to become a member of the St Kilda Footy Club. THAT'S when the club needed my support more than ever. I've got my head around the cold fact that I'm NOT going to see a flag before I die..............BIG DEAL!!!!!!! Do I regret my decision? .......... Well take a WILD GUESS!

GO SAINTS!!!! GO!!!!!

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Superboot wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Nice one Dave.

"The biggest sporting challenge EVER" ????? Well, YES! supporting St Kilda IS (more often than not) a "challenge"....... (DUH!!!!???) I knew what I was getting in to back in round 22, 2000. It was after seeing us get pantsed by North Melbourne, seeing Tim Watson slink away down the race without a glance at us supporters, and hearing Nathan Burke apologise to the fans for such a wicked season. THAT'S when I decided to become a member of the St Kilda Footy Club. THAT'S when the club needed my support more than ever. I've got my head around the cold fact that I'm NOT going to see a flag before I die..............BIG DEAL!!!!!!! Do I regret my decision? .......... Well take a WILD GUESS!

GO SAINTS!!!! GO!!!!!
Very glad to watched and supported Baldock, Stewart, Ditterich, Smith, Davis, Lawrence, Young, Winmar, Lockett, Harvey, Gehrig, and a host of other superstars. Wouldn’t have it any other way

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Saint 58 wrote:I feel your pain & then some ... :shock: but I won't give up on them
It will make success all the more sweeter IF it ever happens
Big changes need to take place at our club
Plus one.

evertonfc wrote:(If we had our own ground and identity I would feel completely different about this...)
Plugger666 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the JO is the GO
+3
Otiman wrote:Time to bring back smaller, cheaper to run, better for the fans stadiums. You only have to look as far as Geelong to see it happen. Even Carlton has something that's usable. I don't think public transport options around Moorabbin are good enough, but grounds like Junction Oval could be built to house sub 20k games. (Dave's edit: JO has shown it can hold crowds over 20K.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m 16 and resigned to the fact I’ll never see a saints flag...

“Yeah….nah””
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

As per some other posters I also have a 0-4 plus a draw GF record.
And yes 71 still hurts - to be almost 5 goals up just before 3/4 time and lose still haunts.
Possibly the 2010 draw hurts the most as we "had it" but then it slipped away and then when the siren went the thought that went through my mind was "Is this as close to a GF win as I will see in my lifetime?".

8 years later, and 8 years closer to death, that thought looks more and more likely to be the reality.

That is why I am so frustrated with the current on field shambles and have lost all faith and confidence in our coach and our recruiters.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
minneapolis
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I’m 16 and resigned to the fact I’ll never see a saints flag...
I am a glint in my father's eye and by the time I am born most diseases will be cured. I will probably live to about 150 and I am also never expecting to see a St Kilda premiership.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.