McCartin Concern

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAAD
Club Player

Re: McCartin Concern

ace wrote:
Yorkeys wrote:Huge challenge for the medical staff. His parents must be very concerned. Hope for all concerned his particular situation is getting better understood. Maybe six games on two off is the sort of pattern he needs. Certainly another big forward is essential to take the heat off him and for his RDOs. Perhaps one lesson is don't let the recruiters make medical judgments. And if in doubt take the next pick. Really hope he comes good, but.
Let the recruiters take the next pick !!!
In the 2014 draft those recruiters picked McCartin at No1 and then Hugh Goddard at 21 and Daniel McKenzie at 22 then Jack Lonie at 41.
Remember those 3 picks in the top 22 were supposed to set the club up for our next tilt at a premeiership.
Wow, he may never make it as a good AFL player but the best pick from that year was Jack Lonie .

Someone must be held accountable and his name is not Richardson.
I am fishing for his name.
Aye, aye ayeeee. We really stuffed up the drafting in 2014. So far off playing finals.

vantheman
Club Player

Paddy's diagnosis changed to seventh KO

A SEVENTH concussion since 2014 will sideline luckless St Kilda forward Paddy McCartin for Sunday's clash against Fremantle, after he was originally diagnosed with whiplash.

There is no guarantee he will return on Saturday week against Collingwood.

full story at - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-11/p ... seventh-ko

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I think you'll find that Paddy's 'lethargy' before he got injured wasn't due to aerobic fitness nor attitude issues. But was due to his blood glucose levels chucking a bit of a wobbly that day.

Unfortunately, that sort of thing can happen. Hopefully over time (and hopefully over not too much time) his medicos will be able to control this sort of thing better.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Almost irrelevant as to why he was lethargic. It's not as if he's overly energetic in any other game. The sad reality is that this pick has been badly botched. If we were a business the persons behind that decision would be sacked immediately. There's simply no excuse for getting this so badly wrong. The game as it's played at the moment combined with Paddy's limitations aerobically make him a complete liability. Unless the rules of the game are changed, whereby they bring in zones (can't see that happening for at least 10 years, if at all) then Paddy is cooked. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking out of pure hope. I have more hope that Freeman will be an asset than I do with Paddy. The sad reality is that we STILL don't have a legitimate key fwd, which was the reason for this gamble on Paddy in the first place - someone to replace Roo once he retires.

What a mess!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm still remaining open minded on whether he'll make it as an AFL footballer...not because of concussions...more so because his diabetes is impacting his performance and recovery as seen last week. It also impacted his ability to get to the level of fitness required and that impacted us as a club. With better science and testing and understanding of the disease and how it affects athletic performance, I hope he can better manage it in future

I heard Gerard Whateley interviewing the mother of Angus Brayshaw yesterday on SEN. She understands there is debate as to whether a helmet prevents serious brain damage, but she also advised her son that she wanted him to wear it. She also spoke about Nathan Burke and the important practicle advice he gave Angus which helped him come to the decision to wear a helmet.

At least with the concussion issue Paddy should have taken EVERY precaution that is available to him. Just wondering whether a helmet may have assisted Paddy last week in that first collision. I am pretty sure there is a high probability that the first head clash was the main concern that came out of that match. I think Paddy should wear a helmet if he wants to play again.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=193707

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I'm still remaining open minded on whether he'll make it as an AFL footballer...not because of concussions...more so because his diabetes is impacting his performance and recovery as seen last week. It also impacted his ability to get to the level of fitness required and that impacted us as a club. With better science and testing and understanding of the disease and how it affects athletic performance, I hope he can better manage it in future

I heard Gerard Whateley interviewing the mother of Angus Brayshaw yesterday on SEN. She understands there is debate as to whether a helmet prevents serious brain damage, but she also advised her son that she wanted him to wear it. She also spoke about Nathan Burke and the important practicle advice he gave Angus which helped him come to the decision to wear a helmet.

At least with the concussion issue Paddy should have taken EVERY precaution that is available to him. Just wondering whether a helmet may have assisted Paddy last week in that first collision. I am pretty sure there is a high probability that the first head clash was the main concern that came out of that match. I think Paddy should wear a helmet if he wants to play again.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=193707

I think with the helmet issue... whilst it won’t directly stop a concussion per’se, if it stops a stray elbow to the head from hurting him and causing him to fall to the ground (with his head hitting the ground and causing a concussion), well that’s still something isn’t it.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i said at the time of watching that first collision that a helmet would've helped in that case. Also helps knocks to the temple , back of the head, and around the ear. notice pick 3 wearing a helmet after suffering a similar early history.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I think you'll find that Paddy's 'lethargy' before he got injured wasn't due to aerobic fitness nor attitude issues. But was due to his blood glucose levels chucking a bit of a wobbly that day.

Unfortunately, that sort of thing can happen. Hopefully over time (and hopefully over not too much time) his medicos will be able to control this sort of thing better.
Spot on. Seems like they made a mistake letting him back on - but I doubt we have an endocrinologist sitting on the pine at our becking call

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Recruit
Club Player

Time to really consider a trade for Paddy

If we can get a late second pick from Sydney or hawks or even pies .....a club that will back themselves to get him right......rest him for the remainder of the year...get him looking fit and then put him on the table....pick 21-30 would be ok

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:Time to really consider a trade for Paddy

If we can get a late second pick from Sydney or hawks or even pies .....a club that will back themselves to get him right......rest him for the remainder of the year...get him looking fit and then put him on the table....pick 21-30 would be ok
He's not worth a second round pick, we'd be lucky to get a third round pick for him.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Recruit
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:

He's not worth a second round pick, we'd be lucky to get a third round pick for him.
I would take a third also

saintbob
SS Life Member

Only early days, but I think young Tom will be known as McClunkin

ss1986
Club Player

Can see it from a mile off....

McCartin to Collingwood and will become a star.

Freeman to St.Kilda, will be lucky to play a season.

This is St.Kilda.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I got this feeling we will be seeing him retire.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well his brother played a very McCartin like game. Only worse.

saintbob
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:Well his brother played a very McCartin like game. Only worse.

I thought Tom’s game was quite good

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Well his brother played a very McCartin like game. Only worse.

I thought Tom’s game was quite good
8 touches and only two of them ended with a team mate. 0 goals 0 behinds.
Not exactly a Ronke.

The Recruit
Club Player

Caught Paddy in the background of the Roaming Bryan, not sighted in family interview and ducked out of camera shot very quickly......at least his family have a chance to support a team that wins most of the time..:)

stonecold
SS Life Member

Give it a rest!!!!!

How many AFL games the 'Desertsaint' family played?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Instead of bagging McCartin perhaps some supporters need to look at how the ball is kicked to him.
Case in point, the way the ball was kicked to an opponent instead of to Paddy's advantage which led to this concussion.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 12 May 2018 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

+1

Even if he went to another side how easy would it be for our defender to play on him. Just run off him, easy. Get that bicep in around his head as you punch the ball. Trade him!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
wolfpup
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Instead of bagging McCartin perhaps some supporters need to look at how the ball is kicked to him.
thats a fair enough call.

lets not write him off.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:Almost irrelevant as to why he was lethargic. It's not as if he's overly energetic in any other game. The sad reality is that this pick has been badly botched. If we were a business the persons behind that decision would be sacked immediately. There's simply no excuse for getting this so badly wrong. The game as it's played at the moment combined with Paddy's limitations aerobically make him a complete liability. Unless the rules of the game are changed, whereby they bring in zones (can't see that happening for at least 10 years, if at all) then Paddy is cooked. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking out of pure hope. I have more hope that Freeman will be an asset than I do with Paddy. The sad reality is that we STILL don't have a legitimate key fwd, which was the reason for this gamble on Paddy in the first place - someone to replace Roo once he retires.

What a mess!
Whether or not a football club is “technically” classed as a business or not, it’s still an operation that turns over millions of dollars on an annual basis and they’ve made a huge investment in Paddy, so the consequences are more dire than it being just another wasted pick. We’d just won the spoon and were attempting a 5 year rebuilding phase at the same time two expansions had just entered the competition, so we had to get this pick right! There are people at the club who are paid wages to make sure that the club’s picks are used responsible. If they’re not doing their job properly, then they need to be held to account, just as anyone in any other operation would be.

Sadly, that draft is on track to being another epic fail, as is this whole rebuild.

If the rebuild is a fail, then we will continue to struggle to win games of football, which affects sponsorship, memberships, merchandise sales and bums in seats on game day, which is ultimately what brings money into the club. If that revenue stream continues to decline, then we’re in big trouble, especially when we already have so much debt. Business or no business, there are people at the club who are paid handsomely to run it and it feels like that it’s being run into the ground!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

It is the development of the players which has stalled, not the players' ability.
I have been patient but was very worried when Carlton thrashed us in the practice game. As I've posted a few times, we're still playing like we were in 2015. To be fair we still had some very good players left from 2009/10 in the team then, and now we don't.
It's possible that we come good and win a few games when the team settles from losing two of our greats, plus Shinner who was our best intercept mark in the team.
Coaching staff need to take responsibility for how the same players have taken backward steps in their skills and decision making. This means changing things up, because at the moment it looks like they couldn't coach pigs to be dirty. Happy to be proved wrong, and think we are a massive chance to win tonight, but believe we need to kick 16 goals to do it. If we can get on top early, take our chances and get a run on, who knows ...?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kalsaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
chook23 wrote:Even before knocks x 2

He was clearly struggling with his health issue.......

Slow.....unfit.....no second effort (energy)

I f he is out for a couple I am concerned it is not just the knock (whiplash) contributing........

He was struggling to even compete at any level on Sunday......
It was reported he had hypoglycaemia at the start of the second term. A serious drop in blood sugar due to
his diabetes not being under control (so to speak - don’t judge him without the facts).

If severe, a person can end up in a coma and die. If you get onto it quickly, you get some sugary food into the person ASAP and that perks them up. The condition makes a diabetic very lethargic/drowsy.

FWIW I’ve seen this happen to someone, and it’s quite unsettling to see.
Yep they would have the complimentary jelly beans at the boundary line and revise the intake and quality of food to come within the framework of serious energy usage.

Don't envy Paddy's condition. Its pretty amazing he can actually do this at all.

Low sugar also affects brain functionality even before the onset of hypoglycaemia so decisions may not be always spot on prior to the onset. The brain definitely need sugar.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency